ADVERTISEMENT

Frederick being terrible kills this team

I was excited when he transferred as a knock down shooter, but what % is he shooting on the season from 3? It can’t be over 30%

Hopefully it’s just a slump, but he needs to lose his spot in the rotation until he comes out of it. Reeves definitely at a minimum deserves more playing time.

Nobody wants to trash CJ, he has several really good games. Tonight however was probably one of his worst.
There are definitely people who want to trash him. Look around the board. Doesn’t change that Cal went away from the lineup that’s been working when they were facing their most important test.

I’m not even saying CJ played well. I’m saying you give that lineup a chance to compete for this victory.

We needed him to shoot well and he didn't deliver. He didn't cost us the game but he could have helped us expand the lead. Unfortunately his play, free throws, pick and roll defense and their 3's won the game for Kansas.

CJ, Wheeler, Ware aren’t really Kentucky caliber guys. It’s not really their fault. Have to keep CJ out there to keep the defense honest though.
We were the best team in the country for two months last year — with Wheeler running the show. CJ sucks, no doubt, but don’t blame Wheeler. He isn’t the problem.

There are definitely people who want to trash him. Look around the board. Doesn’t change that Cal went away from the lineup that’s been working when they were facing their most important test.

I’m not even saying CJ played well. I’m saying you give that lineup a chance to compete for this victory.
I get that strong shooting lineup opens the floor, and that’s what the Cats need to do, but it sure seems like Frederick’s shot slips away at some critical times. Your stats may show better.

We were the best team in the country for two months last year — with Wheeler running the show. CJ sucks, no doubt, but don’t blame Wheeler. He isn’t the problem.
Again, Wheeler isn’t a Kentucky caliber player. You can die on that hill all you want. He’s fine coming off the bench in comfortable wins against mid majors. Theiro should be getting more of his minutes.

I get that strong shooting lineup opens the floor, and that’s what the Cats need to do, but it sure seems like Frederick’s shot slips away at some critical times. Your stats may show better.
He’s struggled with his shot much of the year, but we tend to be better with him on the floor even when he’s cold. When he’s hitting, we’re a very tough out.

He also has shown that he isn’t afraid to take and make big shots late, even when he’s been cold all night. Unfortunately we were never in position to need a big shot late tonight, since the lead stretched to 3 possessions and we never closed the gap.

CJ, Wheeler, Ware aren’t really Kentucky caliber guys. It’s not really their fault. Have to keep CJ out there to keep the defense honest though.
that is the elephant in the room

Everyone thinks the transfer portal is going to miraculously save UK. Yea, we landed the NPOY
but we were starting Georgia's PG and one of Iowa's SG.

There weren't Kentucky caliber from day 1.

Wheeler and Ware are filling gaps in recruiting that should have been filled by stronger players, and CJ should be coming off the bench.

I can see bringing in a kid you offered and ends up unhappy somewhere else, Bringing in kids that weren't on Kentucky's radar to begin with and expecting to develop a deep tourney run team?

Last edited:
Regardless, of how CJ played, tonight, the “Benny” lineup is by FAR our most efficient group. The gap between that lineup & our 2nd best group is significant. We shouldn’t have to implore & beg a HOF coach to play his best unit, together. Cal’s ego is worse than his coaching decisions. He’s not stupid, he’s seen the numbers. But, he’d, obviously, rather lose with his shit combinations than to admit he was wrong & win with the lineup that wasn’t his idea. God, I can’t wait til his bloated ass is gone. Most overrated coach in the history of sports, IMO.

He’s struggled with his shot much of the year, but we tend to be better with him on the floor even when he’s cold. When he’s hitting, we’re a very tough out.

He also has shown that he isn’t afraid to take and make big shots late, even when he’s been cold all night. Unfortunately we were never in position to need a big shot late tonight, since the lead stretched to 3 possessions and we never closed the gap.
Add the end of the day, it seems like Cal shored up some of the weaknesses from last year’s squad, but it’s still an incomplete roster. Or at least, I roster with persistent critical weaknesses. (And a stubborn coach.)

that is the elephant in the room

Everyone thinks the transfer portal is going to miraculously save UK. Yea, we landed the NPOY
but we were starting Georgia's PG and one of Iowa's SG.

There weren't Kentucky caliber from day 1.
Oscar and Reeves were great pickups. Toppin is fine, but should ideally not be a UK starter. Wheeler probably shouldn’t be on the roster.

Reactions: Samurai Cat

I agree on sticking with him but he was really bad tonight. For this team to be good Fredrick has to be a big part of it. The kid really needs a 5/6 from 3 night to get him some confidence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT