ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN: NCAA hoops scandal will likely spread as trial starts

NCAA knew/had to have known about the control of shoe companies and subsequent bidding wars regarding recruits. They also had to have known that some/all coaches/staff's participated in some manner or at the very, very least were aware of it. Did no one employed by the NCAA never hear even the slightest "whisper" of this stuff. LMAO!

The NCAA didn’t/doesn't care one bit about any of this because in the end they were raking in the $'s. That was, and still is, their bottom line. The facade of the NCAA student/athlete model for the two non revenue men's sports has now been fully peeled back. Emmert/NCAA wants no part of the proceedings so as to not swirl around the toilet bowl and get flushed with the turds that the FBI has exposed. They are taking the "Rick", don't know anything.

How the NCAA will try to resurrect their SA model when the dust has settled will be fun to watch. Everyone can't be put on probation because then they couldn't have the cash cow tournament. Will probably have to vacate some games though. Even their brazenness can't go that far.

NCAA doesn't care about a school trumpetting academic excellence all the while giving SA's fake meaningless degrees, so why would they care about kids/families/handlers getting paid by shoe companies.

They don't. LOL!

The ncaa turning a blind eye to shoe companies, aau etc reminds me of the powers to be of MLB turning a blind eye to steroids usage of McGuire, Sosa etc about 20 years ago. As long as the $$$$$ was pouring in they turned a blind eye. It is all about the money.

Reactions: shep21754
First off, if I was pushy about this then I want to apologize and please understand that it wasn’t directed towards you personally.

But here’s why this is such a big deal to me. You’re free to disagree with me and I’m not saying this to try to get you to change your mind. It’s merely so it’s clear where I’m coming from on this.

When I look at this situation, Gatto was making deals that benefited all of the involved parties. The school gets an athlete they covet worth significant revenue, the athlete is compensated for their skills and the agent / shoe company increase the likelihood of signing the athlete as a pro. Among the involved parties, there is no victim.

But for some reason, the FBI has decided that Gatto should go to jail because he won’t play by Mark Emmert’s rules. Look, if he needs to lose his job for violating Adidas policies or can no longer work with college teams, that’s fine. There are consequences to the decisions we make.

But to try to send a husband and a father to prison for this, particularly when the law would say no crime was committed, there’s no justice in that.
I get what you are saying...and agree. But the feds got involved at the beginning for different reasons. Some guy mad a flop movie and started this whole mess.

I get what you are saying...and agree. But the feds got involved at the beginning for different reasons. Some guy mad a flop movie and started this whole mess.

There’s the disconnect between what we were discussing. I have no problem if the feds want to open an investigation.

What I have a problem with is when they continue with the investigation and move to bring charges over something where they are having difficulty proving how this was even a crime in the first place. They should have wrapped this up a year ago and closed it down.

Sounds like we may be arguing over something where we’re actually in agreement.

Reactions: Blueaz
Bowen Sr is dropping specifics on the witness stand about offers from coaches / schools, at least based on what Dawkins told him.

Interesting to see if these are substantiated. Sounds like Ok State wanted him bad, if true.

EDIT: nice work Canned Heat

How good of a player is Bowen? I never heard of him until he committed to ul, but these teams seemed to just be throwing cash to get him.

There’s the disconnect between what we were discussing. I have no problem if the feds want to open an investigation.

What I have a problem with is when they continue with the investigation and move to bring charges over something where they are having difficulty proving how this was even a crime in the first place. They should have wrapped this up a year ago and closed it down.

Sounds like we may be arguing over something where we’re actually in agreement.
yep...damn written communication!

Reactions: UKnCincy
Bowen said Arizona was Tugs' favorite school but that w/ both Allonzo Trier and Rawle Alkins on the roster "there would've been a logjam & it would'be been tough for him to get minutes there." HE said he never talked money or the $100,000 w/ Rick Pitino after picking Louisville.
Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) · Twitter

I already see Kansas and UL fans saying that it doesn't matter because they didn't played in a game after being paid.

giphy.gif

U6 keeps forgetting, does not matter if any players played, they was doing this WHILE ON PROBATION...The lawsuit that some players have going on will take a major hit when this is done..U6 openly admitted they were guilty, and I still don't how Flopcock has a leg to stand on when U6 admitted they were cheating..

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Under the new NCAA rules, they can just accept court testimony and declare these players ineligible.

But dont the players owe taxes on this money? Could they be in some trouble here too?

https://www.sbnation.com/college-ba...nges-ncaa-agents-nba-draft-this-fixes-nothing

"As a term of employment, school presidents and athletics staff must commit contractually to full cooperation in the investigations and infractions process.

People charged with investigating and resolving NCAA cases can accept information established by another administrative body, including a court of law, government agency, accrediting body or a commission authorized by a school. This will save time and resources previously used to confirm information already adjudicated by another group.

This essentially gives the NCAA its own version of subpoena power, putting school presidents and ADs on the line for forcing rules while also now accepting anything the FBI finds as truth instead of having to investigate it themselves.

This should make the initial schools involved in the FBI scandal even more scared. Under these rules, NCAA punishment could appear at any moment. And the new rules also make the punishments harsher than ever."

a9TpuJR.gif

[laughing]
Looking at you U6, Kansas, Oregon, etc...

If something is illegal it is illegal, but I really get pissed at the attempt by some to push all of the blame off onto parents who are trying to “prostitute” their kids.

Let’s think about this. At Louisville, Pitino, Jurich, and Ramsey, guys who are employees of a tax-payer funded institution in a dirt poor state, played the system to line their pockets with tens of millions of dollars, provide lucrative jobs for their families, etc. all while that same university is bumping up tuition prices. The outrage is that much of what they did was legal, if unethical. Nothing illegal about Pitino bagging $30 mil from Adidas because he is just that awesome, right?

Yet, Bowen Sr is a bad guy because he wants a little upfront pocket change as an insurance policy against some arrogant coach who might keep him on the bench all year - tanking his draft stock - because freshmen take too long to learn his defensive schemes?

The travesty to me is the NCAA system that is setup to allow free rein to the rich old men running these (often) public institutions while wanting to “preserve the amateur model” for the young, largely poor black athletes that are fueling a multi-million dollar industry.

I know many want to wax nostalgic over the good old days when the players were student-athletes happy to play for nothing more than free tuition, but in the last 20 years in particular, when all of the tv money and shoe money started to pour in, that model should have changed.

Don’t like it? Feel free to watch Div II sports or women’s basketball - that model is still alive there.

Last edited:
Yes, I do. When he found out about Preston, he held him out and he never played him a minute. The corruption, except Louisville and Arizona whose coaches were specifically named, is at the AAU level and involves agents, shoe companies and handlers.

Meh - I think the “smart” head coaches have gone out if their way to remain willfully ignorant of what was going on. Either that, or they have let assistant coaches do the dirty work. Folks - it’s no coincidence that Capel departed Duke the year after all this FBI stuff broke and Duke’s recruiting has suddenly dropped back off.

I think Nike has also been a little more savvy about this than Adidas - keep in mind that Nike is the big dog and Adidas the upstart competitor having to go outside the box to compete.

There are ways to do this that aren’t as blatantly illegal as $100 handshakes.

Reactions: shep21754
How good of a player is Bowen? I never heard of him until he committed to ul, but these teams seemed to just be throwing cash to get him.

Top 20 kid- certainly not a super elite no-brainer prospect. He’s a good sized wing who can shoot the ball.

Reactions: WeWant9
E

How was Little even eligible if he took money?

Good question. The story is that Little's coach was trying to get money from schools/shoe companies, but that neither Little nor his dad where aware of anything and that the coach never received any money. We shall see if that is the last of it...the NCAA has already "looked" into Little and cleared him to play.

It’s interesting how when you read through this thread, you see more evidence of how certain posters will always show up to offer defenses for certain rival schools. They’re like Old Faithful.

I've stated them. Kansas was unaware. Sood mentions Kentucky players in the trial in an ESPN article. Doubtful that the Kentucky coaches had anything to do with the shopping he was attempting to build a case. Other non-Adidas schools have been mentioned too. Outside of Arizona and Louisville, there is no evidence this is a program problem and all evidence points to this being an AAU/High School, agent and shoe company issue.

There are NEW rules!!!

https://www.sbnation.com/college-ba...nges-ncaa-agents-nba-draft-this-fixes-nothing

"As a term of employment, school presidents and athletics staff must commit contractually to full cooperation in the investigations and infractions process.

People charged with investigating and resolving NCAA cases can accept information established by another administrative body, including a court of law, government agency, accrediting body or a commission authorized by a school. This will save time and resources previously used to confirm information already adjudicated by another group.

This essentially gives the NCAA its own version of subpoena power, putting school presidents and ADs on the line for forcing rules while also now accepting anything the FBI finds as truth instead of having to investigate it themselves.

This should make the initial schools involved in the FBI scandal even more scared. Under these rules, NCAA punishment could appear at any moment. And the new rules also make the punishments harsher than ever."

ADVERTISEMENT