ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN: NCAA hoops scandal will likely spread as trial starts

SmoothRunner32

Senior
Gold Member
Apr 29, 2009
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ncaa-hoops-scandal-likely-spread-trial-starts

AS THE FIRST federal trial begins Monday in a corruption scandal that threatens to engulf college basketball, the coaches at four schools mentioned in the indictment -- Kansas, Louisville, Miami and NC State -- are not the only ones nervous.

This mess is likely to spread.

Coaches at Arizona, Creighton, DePaul, LSU, Maryland and Michigan State also were involved in recruiting the top prospects in question: Brian Bowen, Silvio De Sousa, Balsa Koprivica and Nassir Little.

Or adding in De Sousa but leaving out ku.

:popcorn: I don't see how KU stays out of this. Jmo.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ped-into-fbi-investigation-of-kansas-recruit/

"Here's a breakdown of what we know from carefully parsing court documents. From the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York's report:

"The scheme participants also agreed to make payments to the legal guardian of another student-athlete who was a top-rated high school basketball player ("Guardian-1") in order to secure the commitment of the student-athlete to attend the University of Kansas rather than another school sponsored by a rival athletic apparel company."

Meaning that Gatto and the consultant, CC-3, were planning to pay De Sousa's guardian. More from the indictment:

"In or around August 2017, Guardian-1 informed CC-3 that Guardian-1 had received illicit payments in return for a commitment to steer the student-athlete to a university sponsored by a rival athletic apparel company. According to Guardian-1, the student-athlete was more interested in attending the University of Kansas, but Guardian-1 would need to repay the illicit payments in order to do so."

So De Sousa was a Kansas "lean" (recruitniks' parlance), but his legal guardian had already taken money and, according to the FBI's findings, agreed to a deal with another school.

Before we continue with the government's complaint, it must be pointed out that the Kansas City Star got De Sousa's guardian on the record Tuesday night, and the guardian denied taking any money. This statement is at direct odds with what the government is alleging, findings the FBI is backing in part through phone calls caught on wiretap."

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
UNC. I know....Hard to imagine anyone associated that school could be shrouded in anything sketchy but.....well, there it is.

giphy.gif

Didn’t the NCAA adopt new rules, as prosposed by the external committee, that 3rd party , ala fbi, could be used to determine infractions?

Love how ESPN mentions the schools that unsuccessfully recruited Nassir Little (Arizona, etc) may be in trouble but NOT the school (UNC) that landed him.

Darryl
It was really quick when the FBI stuff hit. Little was down to Miami and Arizona by most accounts, the FBI stuff hit, and within like a week Little chooses UNC. It was so odd, I don’t think us UNC fans knew what to say. On one hand, Little chose a finalist that wasn’t going to be involved in the fallout, but at the same time Roy chose a player who was at least tangentially involved in something. I hope Roy has some collateral from the Littles that Nas’ eligibility is intact.

It was so odd, I don’t think us UNC fans knew what to say.

I hope Roy has some collateral from the Littles that Nas’ eligibility is intact.

This is nowhere near as odd as decades long blatant academic cheating. The only thing you all had to say about that was total denial. What exactly did you expect to be said?

The Littles are probably staying at Roy's rental house now that Danny has moved out (assuming he's moved out) so he can always use their security deposit (snicker) as collateral. Unless of course there's something in the rental agreement (snicker, snicker) that says otherwise. I'm not a legal expert, but I bet Julius Peppers could advise on it.

This is nowhere near as odd as decades long blatant academic cheating. The only thing you all had to say about that was total denial. What exactly did you expect to be said?

The Littles are probably staying at Roy's rental house now that Danny has moved out (assuming he's moved out) so he can always use their security deposit (snicker) as collateral. Unless of course there's something in the rental agreement (snicker, snicker) that says otherwise. I'm not a legal expert, but I bet Julius Peppers could advise on it.
UNC’s academics (including the law school) is top notch, and they can weave a web unlike any other to protect even their clunker department. We are less good at the cheating when our athletics are the pointman. It’s usually a hamfisted affair, like couchgate. Regardless, Little got spooked by the FBI and that’s why he chose UNC. I guess maybe Roy sees #4 with Little, and that’s why Roy agreed to be the safety school for Nas.

I think we will see more come out about Kansas.

I've been waiting on this, Kansas is by far the dirtiest of them all, and honestly I dont think Self is directly involved for the most part. I think he knows there is a dirty system at kansas and he plays stupid and allows it, much like Wooden.

Kansas should fall hard in the adidas scandal inside of college basketball. One look at their teams and the types they recruit tells the story. There is more than enough subject matter for an FBI investigation into Kansas, and they are guilty.

Regardless, Little got spooked by the FBI and that’s why he chose UNC.
o_O More like caught, imo.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ting-investigation-commits-to-north-carolina/

"Specifically, there are accusations made by the FBI regarding potential foul play in others attempting to steer a player believed to be Little to Miami (Florida) or Arizona. Allegations on behalf of the Department of Justice state that money was attempting to be acquired, and funneled, in order to potentially send Little to "University-7," which has been revealed as the University of Miami, an Adidas-sponsored program.

The feds claim they have some of the men charged caught on wiretap discussing competition from "University-4" (Arizona, a Nike program) as potentially being willing to put down more money to snare the commitment.

Per an FBI complaint, Gatto, Code, Augustine and former NBA agent Christian Dawkins schemed to move $150,000 in an effort to aid the recruitment "Player-12," who described as high profile and in the class of 2018. Augustine's only player recruited by Miami and Arizona was Little."

April 13, 2018

"Amended documents released by the FBI earlier this week no longer name Jonathan Brad Augustine, the former AAU coach of North Carolina basketball signee Nassir Little.

Augustine, among others, was arrested and indicted in September in connection with a scheme to pay the families of players in his AAU program to secure their commitment to certain adidas-sponsored schools. The fraud charges against Augustine were dropped in February. It is unclear why.

The amended documents, which were released on Tuesday, seven months after the original documents were released, do not allege anything new as it relates to Little. But Augustine is no longer mentioned in the documents.

The amended indictments released on Tuesday allege that Gatto, Code and Dawkins “among others, intended to conceal the planned payments to the family of the student-athlete from the NCAA and officials at the University of Miami, in order for the scheme to succeed and for the student-athlete to receive an athletic scholarships from the University of Miami."

:popcorn:

UNC’s academics (including the law school) is top notch, and they can weave a web unlike any other to protect even their clunker department. We are less good at the cheating when our athletics are the pointman. It’s usually a hamfisted affair, like couchgate. Regardless, Little got spooked by the FBI and that’s why he chose UNC. I guess maybe Roy sees #4 with Little, and that’s why Roy agreed to be the safety school for Nas.

Your whole school is a joke. Any credibility it ever had went down Carol's private toilet when she gave the infractions committee a final staredown to say that she was "good" with all the god only knows scads of fake classes. Go look at yourself in the mirror and say these words "I'm proud of my UNC degree because my chancellor covered my athletics departments ass by lying thru her teeth". How does that work for you. LOL! Carolina Way. LOL!

Just for the hell of it, what did Deb give you on your AFAM term paper, er, I mean print out. Did you get an "A" (were you an athlete?), or did you have to settle for a "B" (one of those pesky frat boys?) LOL!

If you're athlete, stop by the video coordinators office and say hello to Danny for us. I'm sure he's toiling away getting that film ready for Roy. Hold your breath though, don't want you getting nailed on a piss test. But then again, your law department should be able to get you out of it or I'm sure Carol will vouch for you.

UNC academics. LMAO!

o_O More like caught, imo.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ting-investigation-commits-to-north-carolina/

"Specifically, there are accusations made by the FBI regarding potential foul play in others attempting to steer a player believed to be Little to Miami (Florida) or Arizona. Allegations on behalf of the Department of Justice state that money was attempting to be acquired, and funneled, in order to potentially send Little to "University-7," which has been revealed as the University of Miami, an Adidas-sponsored program.

The feds claim they have some of the men charged caught on wiretap discussing competition from "University-4" (Arizona, a Nike program) as potentially being willing to put down more money to snare the commitment.

Per an FBI complaint, Gatto, Code, Augustine and former NBA agent Christian Dawkins schemed to move $150,000 in an effort to aid the recruitment "Player-12," who described as high profile and in the class of 2018. Augustine's only player recruited by Miami and Arizona was Little."

April 13, 2018

"Amended documents released by the FBI earlier this week no longer name Jonathan Brad Augustine, the former AAU coach of North Carolina basketball signee Nassir Little.

Augustine, among others, was arrested and indicted in September in connection with a scheme to pay the families of players in his AAU program to secure their commitment to certain adidas-sponsored schools. The fraud charges against Augustine were dropped in February. It is unclear why.

The amended documents, which were released on Tuesday, seven months after the original documents were released, do not allege anything new as it relates to Little. But Augustine is no longer mentioned in the documents.

The amended indictments released on Tuesday allege that Gatto, Code and Dawkins “among others, intended to conceal the planned payments to the family of the student-athlete from the NCAA and officials at the University of Miami, in order for the scheme to succeed and for the student-athlete to receive an athletic scholarships from the University of Miami."

:popcorn:
So is there any doubt that Ayton took money too? Arizona should forfeit all the games he played and Miller should go to jail.

Roy and your cheating ass school should have gotten the death penalty , but instead you they spent over twenty million dollars to cover up the lies they used for twenty years .

Can’t you hear Bilias now, the FBI has no jurisdiction in this case, the NCAA should apologize to the players mentioned for causing them any grief throughout this whole ordeal!! Loard knows what he would say if it actually involved Rat Face and Zion Williamson !!

Reactions: Blueaz and Fox2monk
Agreed on forfeiture... but going to jail/ prison for paying a player ? Eh... idk
I seriously doubt anyone goes to jail over any of this,I also doubt that any school suffers much(if any) further damage.The NCAA will sit on the sidelines and be more or less a disinterested spectator.The NCAA will want this to go away as quickly as possible

The NCAA will try to do something like changing a rule or two or rehashing the Rice commission findings to create a diversion to capture the media's attention.It is a shame that all this has to come up just as the college basketball season gets underway because if the NCAA does anything at all it will only be something that screws things up more instead of addressing what went on at Arizona,KU,duke,UNC or anywhere else.

Reactions: Blueaz
I agree the NCAA will do very little as they want this to go on so people will forget about UNC** cheaters.

This,the FBI wants the big buck shoe company folks,they don't give a rat's ass about some college player,college or the NCAA.Colleges,coaches and the NCAA want out of the spotlight in this mess.The shoe companies will sell whoever they can down the river to save themselves. In some regards I would hate to be on the jury trying to sort thru this mess but on the other hand getting paid for good entertainment + maybe writing a book afterward wouldn't be too bad.

Reactions: jrpross
Really interesting on Little, though not surprising. His recruitment always has a sketchy feel. Wonder if his eligibility will come into question, because that would be a gigantic blow to UnC. That kid is a beast.

Reactions: Cindog28
Lying to the FBI? Tax evasion? Wire fraud? Any of those 3 could put a person in federal prison for a long time.

And it would be a miscarriage of justice to send someone to prison for this stuff. FBI really shouldn’t be involved with this case in the first place.

If Adidas failed to pay a portion of their taxes because of how these payments were classified, then have the IRS audit them, figure out the amount they should have paid and add penalties, and then have Adidas pay that amount. Case closed.

As far as fraud is concerned, I have a hard time buying the argument that Gatto defrauded the school by helping them get what the school wanted in the first place. The idea that the schools are a victim here is a major stretch in my opinion. The schools are simply trying to save their hides from two things: 1. NCAA penalties and 2. how their perceived involvement would negatively impact the narrative in on-going antitrust lawsuits.

FBI needs to do a better job of sticking to their mandate in my opinion.

Reactions: Mojocat and kev69
Could is the operative word here,there will be (have been) so many deals and side deals made the FBI is operating like Oprah(you get a deal,you get a deal,you get a deal,hell everybody gets a deal)
Oh I'm sure deals will be made but a lot of people should be nervous right now.

And it would be a miscarriage of justice to send someone to prison for this stuff. FBI really shouldn’t be involved with this case in the first place.

If Adidas failed to pay a portion of their taxes because of how these payments were classified, then have the IRS audit them, figure out the amount they should have paid and add penalties, and then have Adidas pay that amount. Case closed.

As far as fraud is concerned, I have a hard time buying the argument that Gatto defrauded the school by helping them get what the school wanted in the first place. The idea that the schools are a victim here is a major stretch in my opinion. The schools are simply trying to save their hides from two things: 1. NCAA penalties and 2. how their perceived involvement would negatively impact the narrative in on-going antitrust lawsuits.

FBI needs to do a better job of sticking to their mandate in my opinion.
If you defraud the gov't on your taxes, you could go to prison. Same deal here for whoever made the payment(s). If Miller was somehow involved then he could be charged as a conspirator, if nothing else.

What is the FBI's mandate? I'm sure they go after businesses all the time for fraud, tax evasion, conspiracy, etc. No different here except the suspects are colleges and shoe companies.

During opening statements in the federal college basketball corruption trial, the defense attorney for Adidas executive Jim Gatto acknowledged that her client had committed numerous NCAA violations, specifically in agreeing to send $100,000 to the family of top recruit Brian Bowen in exchange for him attending the University of Louisville.

Gatto did it, she argued, only because he was asked, presumably, although not specifically stated, by Louisville coaches in an effort to “level the playing field” in the recruitment. The attorney, Casey Donnelly, said evidence would show there was a bidding war for the Saginaw, Michigan, recruit.

“Oregon, a Nike school, offered [Bowen] an astronomical amount of money if he’d go to Oregon,” Donnelly said.

All three men are charged with one count of wire fraud and one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud involving the recruitment of Bowen, who was ruled ineligible by the NCAA and never played at Louisville before turning pro. Gatto also faces a second wire-fraud count involving players at the University of Kansas.

Here at the Daniel Patrick Moynihan federal courthouse in Lower Manhattan, the government is trying to paint a picture of the three men conspiring to defraud Louisville, Kansas, North Carolina State and Miami by doling out payments to recruits and their families that violate NCAA statutes. As such, any school playing such a player is now at risk of NCAA sanctions.

ADVERTISEMENT