ADVERTISEMENT

College Basketball Corruption Trial - FINAL WEEK

Trying to get my head around this - sounds more like the defense attorney using his closing statements to claim Self and Townsend knew of payments, but I don't recall the defense providing clear-cut proof in texts or phone calls that they knew for certain about payments. In the closing arguments I'm sure both sides can say whatever they want to the jury, but ultimately the jury can only use the evidence presented, not the claims by an attorney in closing arguments, correct?

If so, this doesn't seem like the bombshell it's being made out to be (and I'm sure this is going to be babyinacorner's belief as well). A bombshell, to me, would be text or taped phone call PROOF that Self knew about cash payments to players. I haven't seen that yet, unfortunately.

Trying to get my head around this - sounds more like the defense attorney using his closing statements to claim Self and Townsend knew of payments, but I don't recall the defense providing clear-cut proof in texts or phone calls that they knew for certain about payments. In the closing arguments I'm sure both sides can say whatever they want to the jury, but ultimately the jury can only use the evidence presented, not the claims by an attorney in closing arguments, correct?

If so, this doesn't seem like the bombshell it's being made out to be (and I'm sure this is going to be babyinacorner's belief as well). A bombshell, to me, would be text or taped phone call PROOF that Self knew about cash payments to players. I haven't seen that yet, unfortunately.
Gatto didn't take the stand, right? Gatto knows, one way or the other, so in this trial the burden of proof may not be met but the burden is much lower with the NCAA. Wait til they talk to Gatto. That should prove interesting.

Reactions: TheDude73
UConn's gonna have a hard time winning titles in the AAC.. good luck with that new found tradition huskies.

In Hurley we trust. Looks to be righting the ship and getting UConn back to playing though hardnosed, physical basketball they were known for during Calhoun's rea. Looks to have a couple good recruits committed and looks to be in good standing with Akok, Cockburn, and Precious. If the miraculous happens and they get all 3 in addition to the already committed Bouknight and Gaffney then the turnaround will be quick

You're right though if Hurley/UConn continues to falter they might end up yesterday's news. The interior conference thing is a huge killer financially especially given the state of Connecticut's financial woes

UConn's brief moment of relevance in the history of college basketball has come and gone. And it ain't coming back. You are basically a women's basketball school now. Good luck improving on your 8th place finish in a second-tier conference. That's what you are playing for these days.

I believe they will make tourney this year it's a new regime. Things are changing. They won't be a real threat this year though

My understanding is the NCAA won't even touch this til all the trials and such associated with this are finished. That could be 1-2 years before NCAA even "investigates" the claims. And I think most agree nothing substantial will happen. UNC gets off for decades of fake classes. I hate to say but I don't see much happening

And Louisville I don't know how they don't get anything close to the death penalty. Boggles my mind they are getting these good recruits with the stench surrounding the program. Don't know how any parents could get behind their kids going there

Reactions: kl40504
My understanding is the NCAA won't even touch this til all the trials and such associated with this are finished. That could be 1-2 years before NCAA even "investigates" the claims. And I think most agree nothing substantial will happen. UNC gets off for decades of fake classes. I hate to say but I don't see much happening

And Louisville I don't know how they don't get anything close to the death penalty. Boggles my mind they are getting these good recruits with the stench surrounding the program. Don't know how any parents could get behind their kids going there
Where or how do you arrive at your "understanding" of the way the NCAA will proceed. We have at least two players who might or might not be eligible to play this season because of what we have heard in a Court of Law.These two players are on teams that will contend and could win a national championship,not a team that will finish .500 in their conference.The basketball world is watching what happens in this situation,will the NCAA wait a year or two before acting on some of the issues that have been raised. I don't think even the NCAA is that stupid.

Getting instructions and the verdict may be reached today. I do not think there is any further information to be released.

Reactions: bigblue1971
Kansas and Self in big trouble
Oh come on now !! You know corner baby will be on the board this afternoon if not sooner to tell us what the attorney really meant to say and it was all taken out of context ; and that the attorney meant to say the Rug Doctor was a great guy and speaks seven languages and should be able to coach right away !! Last just like Coach Rat Face there is nothing fake or phony about him .........oh wait a minute!

Last edited:
So now the trail is over, and the Jailhawks just continue business as usual , because just like the UNCheat bogus investigation the worthless NCAA did, they will find nothing wrong, and it may take two three years before they come to that revelation !!

Yep. 5 hours yesterday ..... and expects to come to a verdict today
5 hours is a good chunk of deliberation,if it continues deep into today the jury is likely seriously divided. A mistrial due to a hung jury becomes a possibility.The longer this goes on the more complicated it becomes.In the event of a hung jury ,does the prosecution elect to try the case again or do they put it to bed and move on?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT