ADVERTISEMENT

College Basketball Corruption Trial - FINAL WEEK

No context to that exchange and we don't know if these two statements were said in connection to each other. Wetzel is a POS looking for clicks. Looks to me that Duke paid, not sure how that's a KU problem.
No context? Townsend is clearly contemplating how he’s going to come up with the $$$ to make Zion to Kansas happen. Are you really that naive?

No context to that exchange and we don't know if these two statements were said in connection to each other. Wetzel is a POS looking for clicks. Looks to me that Duke paid, not sure how that's a KU problem.
Oh no you didn't! You crazy man! I like your post cause they are entertaining but you are CRAZY!!!

Reactions: BigTyrone
https://mobile.twitter.com/DanWetzel
·
1h

Text exchange between Louisville asst Kenny Johnson and head coach Rick Pitino concerning Brian "Tugs" Bowen. Johnson: "Coach, DePaul is trying to pay Bowen $200,000 to come there. Crazy world! Oregon, DePaul…desperate times." "Yep," Pitino responded. "We are going to be OK."

LSU coach Will Wade is the subject of another phone call the defense tried to enter into evidence. On that call, Wade tells Dawkins “that he can get him what he needs, meaning money, if a high school player in Florida, Balsa Koprivica, agrees to play for LSU,” Donnelly argued.

”We think is indicative of — we think it’s relevant to Mr. Dawkins’ intent and his belief that he was not hurting these universities, but in fact, based on his understanding of Division I coaches, was giving them what they wanted.”

There are going to be a lot of disappointed posters on this site when no violations are handed down to Kansas by the NCAA. Just a little forewarning of the pending results of this ordeal.

37741080-452f-470d-b5c2-bcb11bac6fe1_text_hi.gif

If this is the last week then when is the verdict?
They might start deliberating tomorrow. If so, I’d expect something by the end of the week. Self and company will be praying for acquittal. If he is convicted but the case is overturned on appeal all the evidence the judge excluded today will likely be coming in the second time around.

The new evidence was thrown out most likely because it wasnt already on the list as evidence.

But its already out there... the NCAA knows about it now and can get it if they want it. the thing is........ Duke's billionaire basketball junky will just throw money at the NCAA members to the point they forget about everything.

The new evidence was thrown out most likely because it wasnt already on the list as evidence.

But its already out there... the NCAA knows about it now and can get it if they want it. the thing is........ Duke's billionaire basketball junky will just throw money at the NCAA members to the point they forget about everything.
I figure it was disallowed because the judge doesn’t think it is relevant. That coaches were involved in cheating doesn’t have anything to do with whether universities were defrauded. The basketball team is not the university.

They might start deliberating tomorrow. If so, I’d expect something by the end of the week. Self and company will be praying for acquittal. If he is convicted but the case is overturned on appeal all the evidence the judge excluded today will likely be coming in the second time around.
I don't think Self and other coaches named want an acquittal,to me that would mean that everyone was aware no defrauding occurred

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-even-dare-investigate-zion-williamson-now-hes-duke-043518120.html
Would NCAA even dare to investigate Zion Williamson now that he's at Duke?
So, what you have here allegedly is a Kansas assistant answering affirmatively to a middleman expressing the demands of the father of a top prospect – every one of which is a dead-red NCAA violation.

To believe nothing ever happens at Duke is to believe Williamson either couldn’t find anyone to meet his demands so he chose Duke, or that Duke is just so fantastic of a place that it outweighed all the cash and cars and jobs and houses everyone else was willing to provide

Reactions: Deli owl
I don't think Self and other coaches named want an acquittal,to me that would mean that everyone was aware no defrauding occurred
As I have been saying for a while, it is the universities that have been defrauded, not the basketball teams.

If the universities were defrauded then it was done by their basketball programs, the coaches knew what was going on. Since the coaches are representatives or extensions of the university then it wasn’t defrauded. The school is not separate from the basketball program, if the Kansas coaches didn’t report issues then it’s on them.

If Self/Townsend didn’t report the solicitation by Gassnola then Kansas should have already fired both given the text messages alone. You can’t claim to be defrauded but then retain the coaches that allowed it to happen, if you were damaged then why are Self and Townsend still working for you?

Reactions: CatfanMike47
The judge appears to be a Harvard grad, that’s what I found listed
Yep, and Rochester Univ. He's from NY and has pretty much spent his entire life there. Unless he has kids who went to Duke, KU or one of the other schools now clearly knee-deep in cash-for-player evidence, I'm not seeing any link to an alma mater being at play in his ruling to keep out certain evidence.

If the universities were defrauded then it was done by their basketball programs, the coaches knew what was going on. Since the coaches are representatives or extensions of the university then it wasn’t defrauded. The school is not separate from the basketball program, if the Kansas coaches didn’t report issues then it’s on them.
By this logic no organization can be a victim of embezzlement.

Are coaches not employees of the university?
Is a cashier who takes $500 from the register and gives it to their friend not an employee of the store? Not sure why you’re so intent on blaming the institution of KU when blaming the basketball team ought to work just fine for our purposes.

You think... they shouldn’t be fired? Indicted is a different matter involving a lot of different factors.
You said in a previous post the universities were defrauded by the basketball team,now the players didn't do it unless you count losing games as defrauding the school so that leaves the coaching staff to blame.Trust me I have a pretty good handle on the factors involved in the indictment process.

Maybe all the schools who didn't get player X or Y should sue the schools that did get them because of paying them.

You said in a previous post the universities were defrauded by the basketball team,now the players didn't do it unless you count losing games as defrauding the school so that leaves the coaching staff to blame.Trust me I have a pretty good handle on the factors involved in the indictment process.

Maybe all the schools who didn't get player X or Y should sue the schools that did get them because of paying them.
I’m not sure they could prove the coaches committed a federal crime, aside from the ones they charged. Knowledge of a crime isn’t a crime except for things like parents not reporting child abuse.

But knowledge of the coaches is plenty good enough for NCAA violations. And that should be enough for Kansas to get major sanctions.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
I’m not sure they could prove the coaches committed a federal crime, aside from the ones they charged. Knowledge of a crime isn’t a crime except for things like parents not reporting child abuse.

But knowledge of the coaches is plenty good enough for NCAA violations. And that should be enough for Kansas to get major sanctions.
You do know I wasn't serious about schools who didn't get Player X or Y filing suit against the schools who did,even if a school did do that it would be a civil matter as opposed to a criminal matter.

I don't think you can separate Self from KU in the way you suggest in the cashier example.

You do know I wasn't serious about schools who didn't get Player X or Y filing suit against the schools who did,even if a school did do that it would be a civil matter as opposed to a criminal matter.

I don't think you can separate Self from KU in the way you suggest in the cashier example.
I feel like this has gotten off on fifteen different tangents. My only point is this: I think the prosecutors believe knowledge on the part of the coaches is irrelevant to whether the universities were defrauded, and the judge seems to favor this argument based on the evidence he disallowed. Keep in mind that the prosecutors called a compliance officer to testify that he didn’t know about any of this, but the defense wasn’t allowed to really introduce evidence of the coaches knowing.

But KU basketball should be completely effed regardless of whether these guys are convicted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT