ADVERTISEMENT

Eddie Gran to Alabama?

mrschwump

All-American
Nov 4, 2006
Don't know but Buffalo just hired current Bama OC Brian Daboll as their play caller, have to think Saban will consider Gran to be his OC. I actually think it could happen and he could take Hinshaw as QB coach.

Last edited:
Don't know but Buffalo just hired current Bama OC Brian Daboll as their play caller, have to think Saban will consider Gran to be his OC. I actually think it could happen and he could take Hinshaw QB coach.
I think Gran and Hinshaw will stay at UK at least 1 more year. But what you are describing is realistic. Gran is highly respected. In the past, Saban dipped into UK's coaching staff to hire Derrick Ansley.

Don't know but Buffalo just hired current Bama OC Brian Daboll as their play caller, have to think Saban will consider Gran to be his OC. I actually think it could happen and he could take Hinshaw as QB coach.

When I saw Bama lost their OC, I almost started a thread, but then realized it would devolve into a thread about Gran. So, I did not. <sigh>

Dont know why people start threads like this. there is no mention in the news anywhwere that Gran is an option at Bama, yet here it comes,some more negative thoughts from our camp that one of our coaches is leaving..Amazing..I think Gran is actually going to Duke but we have to see what Zion does before we can be more negative.

Well, this thread probably ensured both Gran and Hinshaw a sizable raise within the week. LOL

Dont know why people start threads like this. there is no mention in the news anywhwere that Gran is an option at Bama, yet here it comes,some more negative thoughts from our camp that one of our coaches is leaving..Amazing..I think Gran is actually going to Duke but we have to see what Zion does before we can be more negative.
Negative? BS. One would think it would be a positive the National Champs could be interested in one of your coaches. Shows your hiring good people.

Reactions: Blue Decade
Is this reported anywhere? Are there ties to Saban and Gran? If not, it’s a pipe dream. Might as well say - Joker Phillips to Bama?

Why would Saban want Gran when he has plenty of equally good, or better, options?

Is this reported anywhere? Are there ties to Saban and Gran? If not, it’s a pipe dream. Might as well say - Joker Phillips to Bama?

Why would Saban want Gran when he has plenty of equally good, or better, options?
Pure speculation on my part to generate conversation. Kinda what message boards are don't you know. You cared enough to respond.

Reactions: RonEJones
GBB812-That’s what I thought about Ansley after he was elevated to Co-DC. Couple of months later he’s a positions coach at Bama.

Saban wants NDs OC. Meanwhile, Gran is ventilating deer with his daughter three weeks before signing day. Think Saban would allow him to do that? I don’t.

Reactions: mrschwump
Pure speculation on my part to generate conversation. Kinda what message boards are don't you know. You cared enough to respond.

Right on. I don’t think we have much to worry about unless Saban can’t give the job away but Gran has been around and has previous SEC experience at Allbarn. So anything is possible.

I hate to speculate on speculation...but why not? :cool:

FWIW, Gran is a well respected veteran with a lot of connections in the fairly small "coaching community". Based on his last two stops as OC (run oriented UK and pass oriented Cincy) he seems to adjust well to the talent he has OR what his boss wants to do. Those characteristics fit in well at AL and I'm not sure AL needs or wants the "next big thing" in upcoming young OCs.

I don't see it happening but, if offered, how do you pass it up?

All JMO.

Peace

No idea where Bama will turn, but whoever it is will probably be an elite recruiter. Napier left for the ASU job and is now head coach at one of the directional Louisiana schools is the elite recruiter, OC at Bama would get him a raise, especially after what LSU did with their DC. Bama has no problem paying their coordinators 2mill, if he is their guy.

Saban wants NDs OC. Meanwhile, Gran is ventilating deer with his daughter three weeks before signing day. Think Saban would allow him to do that? I don’t.
Seriously. Good grief. They do have some downtime. They can't work 24/7. And it is a quiet or dead period right now I think.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Seriously. Good grief. They do have some downtime. They can't work 24/7. And it is a quiet or dead period right now I think.

I agree, these coaches are under tremendous pressure and every decision is critiqued by 1000's of people who don't have a clue what they are talking about. But I believe the dead period ended at midnight last Thursday. So it's wide open for the coaches until signing day right now.

I agree, these coaches are under tremendous pressure and every decision is critiqued by 1000's of people who don't have a clue what they are talking about. But I believe the dead period ended at midnight last Thursday. So it's wide open for the coaches until signing day right now.
Yeah and OVs coming up the next couple of weeks too. Think UK has a handful the 19th and 26th.

Watched Firebaum, had bama beat writer on. No mefntion of Gran to Bama. He is content now at UK i believe.

Ansley wanted to move up in the coaching ranks. I think Gran is content as an OC.

Understand DA wanting to move up.

So is position coach at Bama a step up from UK Co-DC or a step down to set yourself up for a later move up?

You read that wrong if you think I have an issue with Gran taking his daughter deer hunting. But, I guarantee Saban would at this time of the year. And, if it’s a quiet or dead period, then we just lost Xavier Peters since Marrow visited him yesterday.

How do you guys come of with this stuff? You are amazing.

Reactions: KYNC89 and law1127
I like Gran, and I don't mean this as a slight, but there are some bigtime genius OC's out there. Saban can almost pick and choose whomever he wants. Plus, I think we're fortunate to have Gran. I don't want him to go anywhere.

Reactions: THEbluebones
Outside of our UK bubble, people respect what we are doing with our bottom dwelling program. If he wasn't mentioned specifically, it might not be probable. But to the outside, we are moving in the right direction, and it's always possible our coached could be poached.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT