ADVERTISEMENT

Will the G5 HC to P5 coordinator become a thing now?

bthaunert

All-American
Apr 4, 2007
With Alabama hiring the South Alabama head coach as their DC and OSU looking at the Toledo head coach as their OC, do we think that starts being a major trend?

Even Matt Lentz won 2 national championships as the HC at NDSU in FCS and then took the LB job at USC.

Do we think with the separation in pay and how much coordinators make now, we will continue to see programs do this?

Probably, but I wouldn't base it on just salary. The Athletic just today had article on FCS head coaches taking position coach jobs. Reason being that because they aren't experienced with NIL, P5 admins aren't interviewing them for positions. They are being told that to be a future hc at p5, they have to start over.

Reactions: bthaunert
As odd as this may sound, Day is probably coaching for his job regardless of his record, it's those 3 straight losses to Michigan that is irritating to their administration and fanbase.

The Bama coach didn't get his first option as DC. DJ Durkin was on his list as number 2, topping the list was Tavarious Robinson, better known as T-Rob to the kids, left Bama to become UGA's co DC, with Muschamp taking an off field analysis role. So he was at least the 3rd guy on their list. Saban having an office on campus would be irritating to me, always there to second guess and critique. He resigned, I can't see any positive from him having his office on campus or just dropping buy to check on things. How is the new coach ever going to be able to do his job, which he appears to do pretty well?

As odd as this may sound, Day is probably coaching for his job regardless of his record, it's those 3 straight losses to Michigan that is irritating to their administration and fanbase.

The Bama coach didn't get his first option as DC. DJ Durkin was on his list as number 2, topping the list was Tavarious Robinson, better known as T-Rob to the kids, left Bama to become UGA's co DC, with Muschamp taking an off field analysis role. So he was at least the 3rd guy on their list. Saban having an office on campus would be irritating to me, always there to second guess and critique. He resigned, I can't see any positive from him having his office on campus or just dropping buy to check on things. How is the new coach ever going to be able to do his job, which he appears to do pretty well?
A couple random thoughts in response here:

If Harbaugh leaves, Day might take a step forward without actual improvement.

DeBoer and Saban could work together for greatness...but there's never any knowing the synergy of two competitive personalities until they actually attempt it. In general, I feel as you do...I wouldn't bet for it to happen as the Bama fanbase hopes.

Definitely an interesting trend. All the coaches mentioned would make good candidates for P5 head coaching jobs.

A couple random thoughts in response here:

If Harbaugh leaves, Day might take a step forward without actual improvement.

DeBoer and Saban could work together for greatness...but there's never any knowing the synergy of two competitive personalities until they actually attempt it. In general, I feel as you do...I wouldn't bet for it to happen as the Bama fanbase hopes.

I just can see a successful head coach being ok with taking over a very successful program and having the form coach looking over his shoulder and giving advice. Of course that could be terms of the contract. Personally I wouldn't like it even if it is Nick Saban. Of course he said pubically he was looking forward to having him around. What was he going to say about a Bama legend?

With Alabama hiring the South Alabama head coach as their DC and OSU looking at the Toledo head coach as their OC, do we think that starts being a major trend?

Even Matt Lentz won 2 national championships as the HC at NDSU in FCS and then took the LB job at USC.

Do we think with the separation in pay and how much coordinators make now, we will continue to see programs do this?
This is not a new phenomenon. Maybe it is happening more now, but I cannot find any data support or refute, but I've seen it happening for as long as I can remember. Most of Bill Curry's coordinators were former head coaches at smaller schools. He even mentioned that was his preference to hire men with HC experience.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
There will be more of this. And it just illustrates the absurdity if treating Alabama and South Alabama as the same athletic level sport belonging in thr same NCAA division. Or Michigan alongside Eastern Michigan, Ohio St and Akron.

The gigantic money for the now power 4 (or really today it is a superpower 2 & medium power 2) as compared to group of 5 makes it literally 2 different sports. They mote than ever will be development leagues, of players and coaches that get poached by power schools.

This is not a new phenomenon. Maybe it is happening more now, but I cannot find any data support or refute, but I've seen it happening for as long as I can remember. Most of Bill Curry's coordinators were former head coaches at smaller schools. He even mentioned that was his preference to hire men with HC experience.
None of Curry’s coordinators came to UK (or Bama) directly after being a head coach. More importantly, he definitely didn’t have anyone come to him by choice from being a head coach.

Correct. It's just getting more attention now for whatever reason

Reactions: satcheluk
None of Curry’s coordinators came to UK (or Bama) directly after being a head coach. More importantly, he definitely didn’t have anyone come to him by choice from being a head coach.
Archer, Uzelac and Hudson(if memory serves me right) were all head coaches before coming to UK as coordinators/assistants, as was Mike Stoops on this team.

Archer, Uzelac and Hudson(if memory serves me right) were all head coaches before coming to UK as coordinators/assistants, as was Mike Stoops on this team.
That’s not the point of the thread. Those guys all had head coaching experience, but were fired. These guys now are having success, and leaving their head coaching job by choice to go to a coordinator job.

Yeah, not just money, but workload.

P5s with all their money, resources, and bigger staffs clearly struggling with keeping up with everything…the hell is Buffalo and south Alabama supposed to do?

BCS, NCAA, conferences, are going to have to clean up and organize the schedule, logistics, etc of everything.

Recruiting, NIL negotiations, portal…it’s just all a little too much right now and needs some frame work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT