ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How about AI for OC?

Tskware

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2003
Just thinking out loud here, instead of going out every year and hiring a new OC at enormous cost, I have a modest yet common sense proposal.

Get two or three nerds already on scholarship at UK Computer Science Dept to load up an AI program with all our opponents information and defensive tendencies. As the season progresses, the aforementioned nerds could update their AI program with current info. A few Nvidia chips and UK students time, plus a Mac surely would cost less than $1.5M a year.

On game day, the students bring their Mac to the sideline, and then text the play call generated by their AI program to the QB, or maybe implant a chip in his head, not headset, head. As an added bonus, since texting is nearly simultaneous, maybe we could run a play in less than 40 seconds. Maybe name our new AI OC "R2D2" or something snappy like that. Maybe even HAL, like 2001 A Space Odyssey. We already have had a play caller named Hal, so why not HAL II?

And for God's sake, don't give Stoops the password, that way he can't screw up the plays with AI the way he has with all our other OCs.

There are other tangible benefits to my idea. First, because they are on scholarship at UK, presumably our computer science students would be more loyal to UK and the football team, than say Liam Coen. So there would be continuity. Second, the money we save on OC salary could be repurposed to buy the services of several defensive and offensive linemen, which would be very helpful. Third, I understand AI will only get better and more sophisticated as time goes by, so we will be even better every year.

I say we get ahead of the curve, can't believe no one has thought of this before.

Just thinking out loud here, instead of going out every year and hiring a new OC at enormous cost, I have a modest yet common sense proposal.

Get two or three nerds already on scholarship at UK Computer Science Dept to load up an AI program with all our opponents information and defensive tendencies. As the season progresses, the aforementioned nerds could update their AI program with current info. A few Nvidia chips and UK students time, plus a Mac surely would cost less than $1.5M a year.

On game day, the students bring their Mac to the sideline, and then text the play call generated by their AI program to the QB, or maybe implant a chip in his head, not headset, head. As an added bonus, since texting is nearly simultaneous, maybe we could run a play in less than 40 seconds. Maybe name our new AI OC "R2D2" or something snappy like that. Maybe even HAL, like 2001 A Space Odyssey. We already have had a play caller named Hal, so why not HAL II?

And for God's sake, don't give Stoops the password, that way he can't screw up the plays with AI the way he has with all our other OCs.

There are other tangible benefits to my idea. First, because they are on scholarship at UK, presumably our computer science students would be more loyal to UK and the football team, than say Liam Coen. So there would be continuity. Second, the money we save on OC salary could be repurposed to buy the services of several defensive and offensive linemen, which would be very helpful. Third, I understand AI will only get better and more sophisticated as time goes by, so we will be even better every year.

I say we get ahead of the curve, can't believe no one has thought of this before.
I know your comment was hyperbole, but I wouldn't be opposed to a Moneyball/analytics guy making personnel and play calling decisions.

Reactions: THE_OAK
I’m sure this will happen in the next 10 years. Probably somewhere smaller staged at first like HS or Div II.

It would be programming challenge. Control for fatigue, injuries, hot hand, rotations, defensive adjustments, defensive tendencies, along with down and distance.

Surely AI would insist on autonomy and not take the damn job absent assurances.

We could then trade Hamdan back to Boise State U, for that 5 Star wide receiver, and a defensive back to be named later.

Reactions: Tskware
Baseball managers are basically human skin suits doing what analytic analysis in the front office tell them to do these days

The future of calculations and maths calling football plays/formations/personnel packages ain't that far away

Reactions: The-Hack
But the AI would account for that as part of it's predictive programming! LOL
Just add a drone over CWS, relay defense movement instantaneously to students operating AI on MAC, then instantly sending audible for download into QB's brain . . . problem solved. Even Harbaugh could not steal your signals.

What could go wrong?

• Love
Reactions: Lost In FL
I have sometimes pondered over the concept of using data in a computer program to suggest the optimal play based on the opponent, the on-field situation, the score etc. but I always come back to the fact that the time it would take to input the data before each play would be inadequate. However with AI, conceivably the system would only need to "watch" the game and take in all the variables from the visuals. The play can then be sent down to the OC or whoever is calling the plays and they decide if they want to use it or not.

I think it's only a matter of time before some team(s) start doing something along that line.

Reactions: The-Hack

Well done Tommy.

robocop GIF

^^^ The AI the first time it comes across a Kirby Smart defense.

• Haha
Reactions: Lost In FL
I think once that info got out, a DC would give a look, let the play come in, and then roll into a different D.
Didn't you guys know- Alabama has been doing this for the last 10 years - lol! Kiffen even took a model to Ole Miss! Thats why Urban Meyer is out of a job - his secret was discovered!

Seriously, I'm sure this info has and is being used by several teams for several years. Why do you think those schools have so many staff assistants to the head coach?

Hopefully UK figured this out this year and we now have an OC that understands how to use it!

Go Big Blue!

Good post, OP.

They pretty much do this already (at least they're supposed to do this). I mean, the OC studies the film of the opponent's defense to see personnel and tendencies in every offensive situation. They should then figure out where the strengths of the offense will give the team an advantage in every situation (as much as possible, of course). They then determine the subset of plays they should have at their disposal for the upcoming game.

The DC should be/is doing the same thing in the week leading up to the game.

While not artificial, this game planning should be 'intelligent' and not just, 'OK, everybody out, on 2, BREAK!', right? The information the coordinators digest weekly would be the info fed into any AI algorithm, I'd guess. Now, would AI come up with a 3-yard out pattern on 3rd and 8 or a 1st down straight handoff into the A gap every single series? C'mon, a computer can only be so intelligent, man! We've had offensive geniuses come up with that stuff not some cockamamie computer.

No doubt AOC would run a lot of plays to the left side.
LOL. Well stated. In fact, she'd run so far to the left side that most other left leaning OC's would be like, "Why the eff is she so far over there?"

I have a modest yet common sense proposal.
@Tskware you are 28 seasons behind the curve.

Elliott Uzelak employed “AI” in 1996, Couch’s first season, whilst running the option.

But in 1996, “AI” stood for “Actual Incompetence.”

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Tskware
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT