ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama Reality Check

canebreak

Senior
Jan 26, 2004
Are Bama fans about to get a dose of reality? First dose is that you cannot just go and get any coach you want. No one can. Not ALambama, not OSU, not Michigan. No one can. So many things can stop a hire. Especially when you put a 72 hour limit on the process.

The next dose is that they have no where to go but down. And in all likely hood they will. Unless they hire Kirby Smart I think everyone else is a down grade, if not an experiment.

I want them to succeed as an SEC fan, but they do have to face reality. We are in the same boat if Cal leaves. I would not expect to see Alabama in the playoffs for a few years except for the fact that the field is expanding. But that is no guarantee.

Considering Alabama has 18 NC’s with multiple coaches. I think they’re going to be ok.

Us being in the same boat if Cal leaves is comical 😂😂

People used to say Cal was the Nick Saban of college basketball. The only thing they have in common is putting the most players into the pros.

Saban has 6 NC’s at Bama compared to Cal’s ONE!
Saban started at Bama 2 years before Cal started at UK!

Cal has way underachieved for the talent he’s had.
We will be better than ok once Cal gets his underachieving arse out of here!!!

Last edited:
Are Bama fans about to get a dose of reality? First dose is that you cannot just go and get any coach you want. No one can. Not ALambama, not OSU, not Michigan. No one can. So many things can stop a hire. Especially when you put a 72 hour limit on the process.

The next dose is that they have no where to go but down. And in all likely hood they will. Unless they hire Kirby Smart I think everyone else is a down grade, if not an experiment.

I want them to succeed as an SEC fan, but they do have to face reality. We are in the same boat if Cal leaves. I would not expect to see Alabama in the playoffs for a few years except for the fact that the field is expanding. But that is no guarantee.
I don’t want them to succeed in the least. I hope they never win another game. I don’t care if they are SEC or not. They’ve had enough success and it would be great to see their fans jumping off bridges if they start losing to LSU and Auburn.

Considering Alabama has 18 NC’s with multiple coaches. I think they’re going to be ok.

Us being in the same boat if Cal leaves is comical 😂😂

People used to say Cal was the Nick Saban of college basketball. The only thing they have in common is putting the most players into the pros.

Saban has 6 NC’s at Bama compared to Cal’s ONE!
Saban started at Bama 2 years before Cal started at UK!

Cal has way underachieved for the talent he’s had.
We will be better than ok once Cal gets his underachieving arse out of here!!!

A 64 team, 6 game tournament is far far different from most of those titles being won in a single game where you were elected by a math problem. If we used an algorithm to make the final four, Cal would have more titles…

Lanning is being smart. He's going to let some other sacrificial lamb fall on the sword. He'll come riding in on his white horse to save the program in 3-5 years.

I don't think there are a ton of coaches that will say no to Alabama. They won't get Smart, Harbaugh or Lanning. I'm 100% guessing, but I think Sarkisian says no. Texas is set up nicely, and it's a big time job.

Other than that...

Think you are going to be in for big disappointment.

Lanning is being smart. He's going to let some other sacrificial lamb fall on the sword. He'll come riding in on his white horse to save the program in 3-5 years.

I don't think there are a ton of coaches that will say no to Alabama. They won't get Smart, Harbaugh or Lanning. I'm 100% guessing, but I think Sarkisian says no. Texas is set up nicely, and it's a big time job.

Other than that...
Heard on a local news station that Brohm would turn down Bama when offered.

Their list of dream coaches might not want the pressure of leading Bama, but I'm sure somebody will step up. I don't see them taking a huge hit unless they just totally whiff on the hire and go into desperation mode. It's true they have no place to go but down, in regards to recruiting, Is it even possible to recruit at a higher level than they do historically? Depending on who they land, I can see some exodus of guys to the portal and possibly a recruiting class that falls a tiny bit, but they will still likely be a 9-10 win team at worst next year and back to their old self a year after that.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
A 64 team, 6 game tournament is far far different from most of those titles being won in a single game where you were elected by a math problem. If we used an algorithm to make the final four, Cal would have more titles…

I'd also add let's give calipari his best players 3 years and replay the past 15 years and see. Apples to oranges with rule differences in football and bball. I say that but also 100% agree he's underachieved and should have at least one more title.

As for Saban, I'd hate to be the guy thar follows him. It's an impossible spot almost.

Kiffin wins 10 games a year at ole Miss with portal kids. Imagine what he would do at bama?
He doesn't win 10 games a year at Ole Miss every year- he is 34-15 overall. He flopped in the NFL and at USC. He may or may not have succeeded at Tennessee, if he had stayed there. He could be a great hire at Alabama or an absolute bust or anywhere in between.

Ha, I'm pretty sure they have realized he was one of if not the greatest CFB coaches ever, they were lucky to have him, enjoyed the winning & dominance & championships. And fully knew the next guy would be a step down.

They’ll be fine, lol. This looks hilarious on a Kentucky board and that’s coming from a guy who defends our football program to the death. Sorry

Reactions: Samurai Cat
When Bryant left in 83 they went through 7 coaches (and 1 interim coach) in the ensuing 23 years before they finally hired Saban. That's almost a coach every 3 years. None of those coaches every had much success anywhere else after they were fired. They were never satisfied with any of them and were always looking for the next Bryant and sure enough they eventually found him.

Unless you are a coach blessed with elite talent Bama is a dead end job. I'll go out on a huge limb and say the next coach will be someone from the NFL. A guy like Mike McDaniel who is young and brilliant would be ideal, and if he falters he can always go back to the NFL. That would be ironic since Saban also came to the tide from Miami.

Exactly. If college basketball claimed its titles the way college football has over the years (Poll era, bowl era, AP era, BCS, playoff etc) UK basketball would have upwards of 30 national titles. Instead we have this capricious and arbitrary basketball tournament where teams who have no business competing for a national title are invited. Should 18-13 Northwestern or 19-12 Ole Miss? Who the hell cares? Neither team has earned a chance at playing for a real title.

You don't know who will be hired there, so all these expectations are premature and unfounded.

Exactly. If college basketball claimed its titles the way college football has over the years (Poll era, bowl era, AP era, BCS, playoff etc) UK basketball would have upwards of 30 national titles. Instead we have this capricious and arbitrary basketball tournament where teams who have no business competing for a national title are invited. Should 18-13 Northwestern or 19-12 Ole Miss? Who the hell cares? Neither team has earned a chance at playing for a real title.

Yeah, CFB has needed to expand and CBB may need to contract.

I will say however that Bowl season, and CFB post season in general isn't the spectacle that March Madness. There's certain captivating magic that comes with it that isn't really replicated anywhere else in sports.

Though, I don't think there would be as many Cinderella stories and upsets in a CFB play off. I mean the cream of the crop are pulling away from somewhat near peers in the P5.

Tennessee ran away from Iowa. UGA put up a basketball score on FSU. Ole Miss won comfortably vs PSU.

I don't think the underdogs, Cinderellas, would ever sniff the final week/weekend in CFB. The gap in talent, and coaching is just too big.

I mean Bama and UGA are blowing out bowl bound SEC programs...There would be no chance for somebody to catch hot in a CFB play off.

Basketball all it takes is one person to get hot for a St. Johannesburg and one person to go cold for a UK.

I’ll take it if offered. Not only that, I’ll do it for 2 million a year. Only need one year to run it into the ground, take my two million and enjoy life.

What in hell are you smoking, do you realize the BCS was just 2 teams. They played in the toughest Conference where most of the time 1 loss would knock you out. The NCAAT picks 64 teams. UK has had some of the best talent and we have 1 Championship under Cal. Cal should have at least 3 at UK, the year Wisconsin beat us and the year UCONN beat us was due to Cal not making adjustments.

It will be difficult to hire a coach and have a seamless transition. Bama hasn't been quite as elite the last few years, and a lot of coaches could seek other programs. They have a great base of talent, great recruiting, great history - but a lot of that is Saban built. I suspect they will drop off a bit, but still maintain top 25 teams.

Personally, I hope they keep their upper echelon status as it keeps the SEC more desirable and competitive.

1bwojh.jpg

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Are they struggling with NIL? I don’t know but I’ve seen it said. If true, all those past Natty’s may not help much.

When Bryant left in 83 they went through 7 coaches (and 1 interim coach) in the ensuing 23 years before they finally hired Saban. That's almost a coach every 3 years. None of those coaches every had much success anywhere else after they were fired. They were never satisfied with any of them and were always looking for the next Bryant and sure enough they eventually found him.

Unless you are a coach blessed with elite talent Bama is a dead end job. I'll go out on a huge limb and say the next coach will be someone from the NFL. A guy like Mike McDaniel who is young and brilliant would be ideal, and if he falters he can always go back to the NFL. That would be ironic since Saban also came to the tide from Miami.
I think there's a reason you don't see a ton of NFL guys going to coach college teams or vice versa. Obviously there are some cases, Spurrier, Saban, Chip Kelly, Urban Meyers, Kingsbury, Etc., but the NFL is generally a coaching fraternity and College coaches don't always fare too well making that transition from college to the NFL. Pete Carroll may be one of the few exceptions. Generally Spurrier gave it a shot and failed. Saban gave it a shot and failed. as did the others I listed. Petrino didn't even last a full season. I think coordinators and position coaches move back and forth between College and NFL with better degrees of success, and I know a lot of teams poach NFL coordinators to be head coaches, but in general, they entrench themselves at one level or another. I don't consider the cases I mentioned as being coaches who left the NFL to coach in College and fared well, because their brief NFL stints basically proved they were better suited going back to where they started.

well.. at least that tax money is productive.....

Now that you mention it I much rather spend it on football recruits than some of the pet projects GA has. One, a toll road 35 miles long to help get traffic in and out of Atlanta, only issue it it's so expensive it's hardly used, but added about 15 cents to every gallon of gas and deisel.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
Now that you mention it I much rather spend it on football recruits than some of the pet projects GA has. One, a toll road 35 miles long to help get traffic in and out of Atlanta, only issue it it's so expensive it's hardly used, but added about 15 cents to every gallon of gas and deisel.
Man, surely you aren't referring to the Peach Pass express lanes. Those are the greatest thing since sliced bread and cheap. Only a couple of bucks to save you an hour or more tied up on I75 traffic.

Great response. Interesting. Never considered that

Are they struggling with NIL? I don’t know but I’ve seen it said. If true, all those past Natty’s may not help much.
Not even in top 10 of nil. Small state like Kentucky. They are going to struggle. Top 10 is Texas,a&m, Miami, usc, Oregon and oddly Tennessee. Bama may be 10. They won’t have the staying power. Teams in Texas, Florida and maybe Georgia will rise to top of nil. Tennessee is a much richer state than Alabama.

Reactions: gojvc
Man, surely you aren't referring to the Peach Pass express lanes. Those are the greatest thing since sliced bread and cheap. Only a couple of bucks to save you an hour or more tied up on I75 traffic.

I am, seldom see more than a handful of vehicles on it. Paid for by statewide fuel tax of 7 cents a gallon and we are still paying it. It's so profitable, creating millions in surplus the governor has suspended it multiple times. The traffic issue in metro Atlanta is not a statewide issue, and I feel like I have paid to use it everytime I put gas in my vehicle as a state resident. As you said doesn't help traffic flow enough to notice any difference, just the ones who can pay the toll which is clearly a huge minority.

I am, seldom see more than a handful of vehicles on it. Paid for by statewide fuel tax of 7 cents a gallon and we are still paying it. It's so profitable, creating millions in surplus the governor has suspended it multiple times. The traffic issue in metro Atlanta is not a statewide issue, and I feel like I have paid to use it everytime I put gas in my vehicle as a state resident. As you said doesn't help traffic flow enough to notice any difference, just the ones who can pay the toll which is clearly a huge minority.
I think the light usage is the fact that 95% of the traffic on I75 is north/south transient, and they don't have Peach Passes so they don't get on it.

Your going to be highly disappointed, Bama may slide a little but when you've been as good as they have for over 65 years, probably more, they're not going be down very long.

Your going to be highly disappointed, Bama may slide a little but when you've been as good as they have for over 65 years, probably more, they're not going be down very long.
Well, I have probably been a bigger bandwagon Bama fan than most on this board so not sure why your saying I'd be disappointed with their failure. Having siad that I might be a little joyful if they step down due to the arrogance of some of their fans. I have been to watch them play several times and not against UK. So I like them. I find it really easy to pull for SEC teams outside the conference, but I really like UGA now as kirby seems like a class act.

Bama has had huge droughts in their success. About 20 years worth before Saban. Yes they can go back to being Florida. Absolutely. If you don't think so then your not looking at history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT