ADVERTISEMENT

Does UK offer Travis Perry on his visit this weekend?

I love Oscar but to say he's more loved than AD is a stretch IMO. AD is one of my favorite Cats ever and I go way back to Issel etc.

Read the board man. Oscar is definitely more liked around here than Davis. I’d bet any amount you want if you started a poll it’s got Oscar above Davis.

Me personally, I love Davis and the accolades. We needed a guy like that bad. But Oscar is in my top 3 with Delk and Sheppard. I’ve seen countless people state he’s their favorite all time or top 2.

And one of the reasons is because (aside from being so dominant ) he’s also in love with Kentucky. He’s wanted to be here forever and that makes it more special as I’m saying. He loves this place as much as we do, and that’s important. This kind of thing is how you combat apathy. And we used to completely understands this. Today many have forgotten for some reason.

Last edited:
Read the board man. Oscar is definitely more liked around here than Davis. I’d bet any amount you want if you started a poll it’s got Oscar above Davis.

Me personally, I love Davis and the accolades. We needed a guy like that bad. But Oscar is in my top 3 with Delk and Sheppard. I’ve seen countless people state he’s their favorite all time or top 2.

And one of the reasons is because (aside from being so dominant ) he’s also in love with Kentucky. He’s wanted to be here forever and that makes it more special as I’m saying. He loves this place as much as we do, and that’s important. This kind of thing is how you combat apathy. And we used to completely understands this. Today many have forgotten for some reason.
Opinions vary. I stated mine, not what you think the board would tell me if I read it. It's been 10 years since AD was here and Oscar is a great representative for UK now. Seems like they're both outstanding players and people.

I watched four full games of Lyon county today on YouTube and I must say that for a kid that scores a lot of points he certainly is unselfish. Trying to come up with some comparison and Riley LaChance comes to mind. He'll only get better in these next two years.

I clearly said Jeff Sheppard, who wasn’t from Kentucky, fits the bill of a Kentucky kid. They don’t necessarily have to be from Kentucky, but if not we need some Oscars and Sheppards. And yes it’s better for our program, the fans, and our legacy to have Kentucky kids too.

You do realize we have no championship with Calipari if you take away a Kentucky kid who played 4 years on the roster? That took A Davis and a Miller. We need guys that feel a special connection and breathe life into our program.

This is not the NBA. Calipari has done a great job of bastardizing what we’re really about, but I don’t go for it. I want it all, that includes guys that are at UK for UK.

Some of you clearly cannot link apathy with our approach at all. Kentucky isn’t Kentucky right now because we don’t consider the special aspects and just think none of this matters. It does. Why do you think Oscar is more loved than Davis? Because we’re starved for the attention placed on UK and not the NBA.
You guys always swear that Darius Miller was the key piece to the puzzle.

Without him, there is no title.

Who is the easiest guy in the rotation to replace? Davis? MKG? Teague? Lamb? Jones?

Miller played a role. We could have had another 4 star kid from a different state play the role just as well. That team had 4 1st round draft picks, including #1 and #2 overall. But time and time again, I hear how Darius Miller was "the key." I mean, c'mon.

Reactions: UK90
Opinions vary. I stated mine, not what you think the board would tell me if I read it. It's been 10 years since AD was here and Oscar is a great representative for UK now. Seems like they're both outstanding players and people.

No you actually did say that lol. You said it was a stretch and it’s not at all. Quite the opposite. AD is not as popular as Oscar that’s pretty easy to see.

Reactions: KFuqua
You guys always swear that Darius Miller was the key piece to the puzzle.

Without him, there is no title.

Who is the easiest guy in the rotation to replace? Davis? MKG? Teague? Lamb? Jones?

Miller played a role. We could have had another 4 star kid from a different state play the role just as well. That team had 4 1st round draft picks, including #1 and #2 overall. But time and time again, I hear how Darius Miller was "the key." I mean, c'mon.

Your comprehension is really bad today. I had to correct your mistake in the first post and now I’m having to do it again. Without Miller there is no title in 12. Without Davis there is no title in 12. Both of those guys completely supplied roles that were vital. All the of the guys contributed, but without that guy who loved UK and stayed 4 years as an in state player, it’s a fact that Calipari has zero championships. Miller’s role off of that bench solidified the team. And no not any Ole player could have done that. There’s zero evidence that player would have been here with Calipari’s track record. He would have had a non shooter freshman in that role and the team would have been closer to 2010. You guys just can’t help yourself but look retarded going down this road.

It was cool in 2009 to make fun of in state players. Gonzo would be proud but It was stupid then and it’s stupid now. Every team in America loves hometown players. Even professional teams love having a guy from the area. It’s common f’n sense but some of you think it’s a big gotcha moment for some reason and it’s stupid. We can’t have a team full of Kentucky boys oh wow did UK90 dream this up himself? Older UK fans love seeing a Kentucky boy do well oh man is it racism!!!?!???

Honestly dude it’s low rent discussion and It’s damn annoying. It’s always best to have guys that understand the program, the fans, the culture if you can. To argue this is just asinine and not worth the time.

Last edited:
Your comprehension is really bad today. I had to correct your mistake in the first post and now I’m having to do it again. Without Miller there is no title in 12. Without Davis there is no title in 12. Both of those guys completely supplied roles that were vital. All the of the guys contributed, but without that guy who loved UK and stayed 4 years as an in state player, it’s a fact that Calipari has zero championships. Miller’s role off of that bench solidified the team. And no not any Ole player could have done that. There’s zero evidence that player would have been here with Calipari’s track record. He would have had a non shooter freshman in that role and the team would have been closer to 2010. You guys just can’t help yourself but look retarded going down this road.

It was cool in 2009 to make fun of in state players. Gonzo would be proud but It was stupid then and it’s stupid now. Every team in America loves hometown players. Even professional teams love having a guy from the area. It’s common f’n sense but some of you think it’s a big gotcha moment for some reason and it’s stupid. We can’t have a team full of Kentucky boys oh wow did UK90 dream this up himself? Older UK fans love seeing a Kentucky boy do well oh man is it racism!!!?!???

Honestly dude it’s low rent discussion and It’s damn annoying. It’s always best to have guys that understand the program, the fans, the culture if you can. To argue this is just asinine and not worth the time.
I'm not making fun of them.

I'm saying they don't need to be our top priority. I'm fine having them. I'm fine not having them.

Reactions: Gromcat
Not like UK fans do. Other fan bases do not make a big drama over players being from in-state the way we’re known for. The way we’ll irrationality obsess over even 10th and 11th men benchwarmer type players simply because they had an in-state home zip code is a rather uniquely UK thing.

I don’t know why that is so, but it is.

Yeah and I don't get it either. Miller and even willis caliber players i get but the 12th man obsession this past season was so dumb. The guy bricked every shot against those terrible teams people on here like to bash calipari for scheduling but he should have got more minutes and chances lol.

But if Perry was from Oklahoma, you wouldn't care two snots about him. Because he's from Kentucky, you think mean ol' Cal is overlooking him.

We can probably go get a 4 star from some other state at any point. This kid may be a solid rotational piece at Kentucky come year 3 or 4. But he isn't going to make or break any of our future teams.

You guys love to cling to the Darius Miller helped us win a national title argument. And while he was valuable--a lot of other 4 star seniors could have provided what he provided. Davis, MKG, Jones, Teague, Lamb were all bigger pieces of that puzzle.
Let's not forget Tyler Herro was a 4 star out of high school, and he seemed to do pretty well.. I was totally shocked when Cal offered him a scholarship...

Reactions: Cawood86
Not like UK fans do. Other fan bases do not make a big drama over players being from in-state the way we’re known for. The way we’ll irrationality obsess over even 10th and 11th men benchwarmer type players simply because they had an in-state home zip code is a rather uniquely UK thing.

I am a native Kentuckian who has lived in the State my whole life, UK graduate, UK Alumni Club life member, UK Fellow and a lifelong KY sports fan. I really couldn’t care less whether a kid is from KY, or not. I do not understand why it matters so much to some people. You do not pick the place of your birth or where you grew up. It is nothing but 100% chance. Just be glad you were born, at all, and try to enjoy your time on this pale blue dot. GO CATS !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: UK90

Umm yes they do. You’re just obsessed with your crusade to be the guy that points these things out. Good lord Tennessee fans absolutely freak out over hometown kids. And Memphis fans, they make a LIVING off of it. Many times they want their entire teams comprised of Memphis kids. They’re always saying things work better with hometown kids.

They literally gave a mini parade to Joe Jackson and named him king of Memphis.

I don’t know what the hell some of you are on. This is as common as it gets but there’s always that same group that thinks it’s cool to point it out as a negative and be seen as enlightened for something. It might have been cool to do this in 2007 but now it’s just stupid and weird.

Give me a team of all Kentucky kids and if they win of course I’d like it better everyone would. What’s wrong with some of you?

Last edited:
I am a native Kentuckian who has lived in the State my whole life, UK graduate, UK Alumni Club life member, UK Fellow and a lifelong KY sports fan. I really couldn’t care less whether a kid is from KY, or not. I do not understand why it matters so much to some people. You do not pick the place of your birth or where you grew up. It is nothing but 100% chance. Just be glad you were born, at all, and try to enjoy your time on this pale blue dot. GO CATS !!!

And that’s the thing, most UK Fans aren’t even as bad as many others like Memphis. We really have been different in that we adopt new styles, recruit nationally, start new trends etc. but there’s always the UK90’s that want to pretend we’re backwards and more racist or closed minded or whatever than other programs. His need to do this is strange and not at all true of who most of us are.

It’s just weird to me this keeps popping up by these same guys.

It’s fine to like Kentucky kids on the roster and makes total sense. They appreciate this more than most. If we can’t do it we can’t do it, but damn these guys need to give this tirade a rest.

Being a hometown kid makes a good story line. Even pro sport teams have fans that love for their team to draft kids from home. Burrow being from Ohio makes it even more special for the Bengals. I could care less where they are from, but will say that not recruiting Chris Lofton was the start of the end for Tubby Smith. Tennessee fans also were not to happy that they let Randall Cobb get out of their backyard either. If you are not going to recruit the hometown kid, then you better make sure they don't come back and beat you.

I think fans just naturally have more of a connection when a kid grows up in familiar surroundings. If a recruit is good enough to contribute and they are from in state then by all means offer them a scholarship. It's not like we use all of them anyway.

Reactions: Gromcat
Yeah and I don't get it either. Miller and even willis caliber players i get but the 12th man obsession this past season was so dumb. The guy bricked every shot against those terrible teams people on here like to bash calipari for scheduling but he should have got more minutes and chances lol.

Honestly I think it’s more to do with the fact that he had the ability to shoot well more than anything and also Calipari preferred to bury him and it naturally pissed people off.

I think many are over playing this. For example Hawkins was liked at UK but he wasn’t the best shooter and you didn’t see the craze over him like you might have seen from others who had the potential to hit the long ball.

People absolutely could not stand Brandon Stockton.

People loved Patrick Sparks.

Too many people are missing the point which is glaringly obvious if we just apply common sense. Not to keep picking on him but UK90 specifically does this. He overlooks what it’s really about and downplays the significance of hometown kids simply to feel he’s above it. I see this a lot from the typical left wing political guys from from the state.

These guys need to get out of Kentucky every now and then and expand.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT