ADVERTISEMENT

Does UK offer Travis Perry on his visit this weekend?

And it really wasn’t even much in the 90s.

The only Kentucky kids to start for us after 92 (when we again became a powerhouse) were Travis Ford in 93 and 94, DA for one year and a half, Epps on and off in 96 and 97, and then Padgett for two years at the very end of the decade (ie. 98-99). Even back then it was out of state kids doing nearly all the heavy lifting.

But I don’t see that having any bearing on this Perry kid. He plainly appears to be good enough, as he’s a 4-star getting a load of major conference offers and kicking ass against top flight summer competition. I see no reason not to offer him, I hope Cal gives him one soon.
Marquis Estill, Patrick Sparks & Rondo are 3 more off the top of my head, who played big roles in the 00’s. The great teams from the 80s had plenty of KY kids who were big time contributors, too. Personally, idc where players come from. I suffer from too much state pride & love having KY kids on the roster, but, not just for the sake of having homegrown talent on the team. The in-state HS talent has been down the last cpl decades, but, it has been a LITTLE overblown, at the same time, as we’ve also seen some KY HS players go on to star or play major roles at schools other than UK.

I don’t want the coach to recruit kids just bc they’re from KY, but, on the occasions that the kid is legit, I’d like him to go all in. And, we leave 2-3 scholarships open every year. What is the harm in giving those spots to in-state guys with skills & solid fundamentals who can be developed & help out in a cpl years? I’m a big fan of skilled players, especially shooters, regardless of where they live. As long as they aren’t statues who offer nothing else & have decent size.

I’ve seen Perry play once, on a live stream, against a very good Ashland team, in the KOB, last season. He is a highly skilled player, who is more crafty than athletic, but, he’s plenty athletic enough to play here. GREAT shooter & really good passer, with tremendous vision & court awareness. He’s not likely to be the best player on the team or an early draft entrant. But, he doesn’t have to be. Every championship level team needs reliable role players just as badly as they need the studs to lead the team. And, he might not face elite competition in the HS season, but, he more than holds his own in AAU ball against top level players. But, overall, I agree with you, &, IMO, he’s absolutely good enough to be a damn good role player, here, & become a major contributor by his JR season.

But if Perry was from Oklahoma, you wouldn't care two snots about him. Because he's from Kentucky, you think mean ol' Cal is overlooking him.

We can probably go get a 4 star from some other state at any point. This kid may be a solid rotational piece at Kentucky come year 3 or 4. But he isn't going to make or break any of our future teams.

You guys love to cling to the Darius Miller helped us win a national title argument. And while he was valuable--a lot of other 4 star seniors could have provided what he provided. Davis, MKG, Jones, Teague, Lamb were all bigger pieces of that puzzle.
It is a generational thing. I am of the Coach Rupp and Coach Hall generation. If there are kids who can contribute, not just sit on the bench, contribute and help you win from the state, you give them the opportunity. Then you recruit the bordering states, then moved outward if there is a kid that is great and wants to be at UK.

Get tired of the “ if this Kentucky kid was from some other state, you wouldn’t be interested pitch”

Sheppard and Perry will be key components to UK success. History will repeat itself.

Awesome news! Can you imagine the kind of NIL cash he might get if he breaks all-time scoring record as a UK commit. He may be more hyped than Rex Chapman by the time he gets to UK.

It is a generational thing. I am of the Coach Rupp and Coach Hall generation. If there are kids who can contribute, not just sit on the bench, contribute and help you win from the state, you give them the opportunity. Then you recruit the bordering states, then moved outward if there is a kid that is great and wants to be at UK.

Get tired of the “ if this Kentucky kid was from some other state, you wouldn’t be interested pitch”

Sheppard and Perry will be key components to UK success. History will repeat itself.
Thank goodness you aren’t coaching. We’d be down there with Vandy.

Yes, Cal is on thin ice with not only UK fans but big boosters. If there is one thing Cal is not its Stupid.
The kid is a homegrown scoring machine and will wind up with the most points in the history of Kentucky HS basketball passing King Coleman who has held the record for 66 yrs.
Perry will wind up in Blue and White although the King never played at UK.
That’s a big prediction.

The problem is there's very little in-state talent worthy of UK's time. Perry and Sheppard are the exceptions here lately.

I think Perry can be that Cameron Mills type dude. One who's wanted to play at UK and will just get UK beer muscles and be special. Sheppard is just an elite type of player. Both will be a boon to us.

But just because a basketball player is from Kentucky does not mean they should come here and "eat first". Sorry, this isn't that era of ball anymore. The game has changed (for better or worse) too much for that.

Give you Willis and Hawkins but Allen you saw the way he was treated by Cal.
He was treated fine. If he had played better, he would have seen more time. Pretty simple. I dont think anyone was wanting to see more Allen last year. I hope he does really well at WKU but unless he has improved greatly, he will be a backup there as well.

He was treated fine. If he had played better, he would have seen more time. Pretty simple. I dont think anyone was wanting to see more Allen last year. I hope he does really well at WKU but unless he has improved greatly, he will be a backup there as well.
Yeah, I don't get all the Allen pumping. He was a good kid, and I liked him. He, like Brooks, was just not consistent enough to play at UK at an SEC/National Level.

I think Allen will do well at WKU, especially with them returning Sharp. That will be a more accessible level of competition for Allen to face and will be more fair to him.

Give you Willis and Hawkins but Allen you saw the way he was treated by Cal.
Allen wasn't good enough for this level. I'm sure he's a great kid, but when did you see sec level talent except for two games against the same team?

Reactions: Fox2monk

To be clear

You're tired of the "if he wasn't from Kentucky argument..." argument, but you readily acknowledge you want us to prioritize Kentucky kids first. You're tired of hearing it, but you're admitting that I'm correct. Just clarifying.

For me, it's kind of like a cherry on top of the sundae. It's nice if we have it. But as long as the ice cream and toppings are good--I'm not gonna cry over the cherry. It's the last thing I consider when picking my ice cream.

Marquis Estill, Patrick Sparks & Rondo are 3 more off the top of my head, who played big roles in the 00’s. The great teams from the 80s had plenty of KY kids who were big time contributors, too. Personally, idc where players come from. I suffer from too much state pride & love having KY kids on the roster, but, not just for the sake of having homegrown talent on the team. The in-state HS talent has been down the last cpl decades, but, it has been a LITTLE overblown, at the same time, as we’ve also seen some KY HS players go on to star or play major roles at schools other than UK.

I don’t want the coach to recruit kids just bc they’re from KY, but, on the occasions that the kid is legit, I’d like him to go all in. And, we leave 2-3 scholarships open every year. What is the harm in giving those spots to in-state guys with skills & solid fundamentals who can be developed & help out in a cpl years? I’m a big fan of skilled players, especially shooters, regardless of where they live. As long as they aren’t statues who offer nothing else & have decent size.
Perry is one of the few d1 level players Kentucky has put out in the last ten years. It's dry.
I’ve seen Perry play once, on a live stream, against a very good Ashland team, in the KOB, last season. He is a highly skilled player, who is more crafty than athletic, but, he’s plenty athletic enough to play here. GREAT shooter & really good passer, with tremendous vision & court awareness. He’s not likely to be the best player on the team or an early draft entrant. But, he doesn’t have to be. Every championship level team needs reliable role players just as badly as they need the studs to lead the team. And, he might not face elite competition in the HS season, but, he more than holds his own in AAU ball against top level players. But, overall, I agree with you, &, IMO, he’s absolutely good enough to be a damn good role player, here, & become a major contributor by his JR season.
The key is, does he want instant pt or is he willing to wait till he's ready?

I hope the kid accepts the offer. I hope he comes here and becomes a starter on a national title team. But mostly because I want national titles.

I worry it'll be a repeat of Dontiae Allen. He won't be to the level fans want him to be at his freshman or sophomore year. And this message board, twitter, everything will be polluted with the "Cal only plays his five stars." When in actuality, this kid just won't be to the point of earning minutes yet.

Yeah, I don't get all the Allen pumping. He was a good kid, and I liked him. He, like Brooks, was just not consistent enough to play at UK at an SEC/National Level.

I think Allen will do well at WKU, especially with them returning Sharp. That will be a more accessible level of competition for Allen to face and will be more fair to him.

I think Allen possessed the physical gifts needed to be successful at the high major level. I just don’t think he has the personality. Some guys are laid back but when they step on the court they are killers (Tayshaun Prince is a good example), and then others are just laid back all the time. I think that’s Allen.

I hope the kid accepts the offer. I hope he comes here and becomes a starter on a national title team. But mostly because I want national titles.

I worry it'll be a repeat of Dontiae Allen. He won't be to the level fans want him to be at his freshman or sophomore year. And this message board, twitter, everything will be polluted with the "Cal only plays his five stars." When in actuality, this kid just won't be to the point of earning minutes yet.
I can thousand percent say cal always plays the best players. He isn't dumb enough to sit a more talented player because believe it or not he wants to win. Cal has a ego which all greats have, he wants to win!

To be clear

You're tired of the "if he wasn't from Kentucky argument..." argument, but you readily acknowledge you want us to prioritize Kentucky kids first. You're tired of hearing it, but you're admitting that I'm correct. Just clarifying.

For me, it's kind of like a cherry on top of the sundae. It's nice if we have it. But as long as the ice cream and toppings are good--I'm not gonna cry over the cherry. It's the last thing I consider when picking my ice cream.

Basically the old timer wants to exceed the 9 and 16 fiasco as we would probably be like 7 and 24 each season with a team of Kentucky boys lol.

I can thousand percent say cal always plays the best players. He isn't dumb enough to sit a more talented player because believe it or not he wants to win. Cal has a ego which all greats have, he wants to win!
Man, I wish I could 100% agree with that but the WINO (Wildcat In Name Only) Sharpe, this past season put a dent in that.

That's the second time he's been "kidnapped" so to speak and as Bush once said, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice....can't get fooled again."

Reactions: blue woman and Aike
Man, I wish I could 100% agree with that but the WINO (Wildcat In Name Only) Sharpe, this past season put a dent in that.

That's the second time he's been "kidnapped" so to speak and as Bush once said, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice....can't get fooled again."
Man, I spent a lot of time laughing at George W., but Biden delivers at least one hilarious sound bite every week.

Not to hijack the thread with politics. Just…couple of dummies is all.

Man, I spent a lot of time laughing at George W., but Biden delivers at least one hilarious sound bite every week.

Not to hijack the thread with politics. Just…couple of dummies is all.
Bush made me laugh...in retrospect.

Biden is still the President, and I respect the Office (yes, even with Trump), but man, I'm legit worried about Biden's health.

Awesome news! Can you imagine the kind of NIL cash he might get if he breaks all-time scoring record as a UK commit. He may be more hyped than Rex Chapman by the time he gets to UK.

Wow! If Cal offered I'll trust staffs assessment of Perry & his ceiling than mine.

Reactions: ukfan041
IMO Cal never gave him a chance to improve. Cal would pull him faster than any other player on the floor.

I like the fact that he shoots 100% from the field. He is what is known as a "can't miss" prospect. 😎

Second time? Sharpes situation was one of a kind, probably will happen more often but the things that happened were crazy and likely illegal. But in the end sometimes you get caught up in a no win

The problem is there's very little in-state talent worthy of UK's time. Perry and Sheppard are the exceptions here lately.

I think Perry can be that Cameron Mills type dude. One who's wanted to play at UK and will just get UK beer muscles and be special. Sheppard is just an elite type of player. Both will be a boon to us.

But just because a basketball player is from Kentucky does not mean they should come here and "eat first". Sorry, this isn't that era of ball anymore. The game has changed (for better or worse) too much for that.
I have watched highlight reels and the kid literally never misses!
:cool:

Reactions: DCFseattle
IMO Cal never gave him a chance to improve. Cal would pull him faster than any other player on the floor.
We would play awful as soon as he came in. He'd make freshman mistakes that you can't make unless your insanely talented enough to make up for it. I don't know what Allen truly looked like in high school, but I'd imagine he just lost so much physical ability that it hurt his ability to play against top comp.

Second time? Sharpes situation was one of a kind, probably will happen more often but the things that happened were crazy and likely illegal. But in the end sometimes you get caught up in a no win
After the Vanderbilt season, Cal famously claimed he wouldn't be held captive again.

Whelp....

Reactions: deep3
After the Vanderbilt season, Cal famously claimed he wouldn't be held captive again.

Whelp....
Vanderbilt was legit hurt though. It wasn't till after the season when they found out the actual problems then he had double foot surgery. I don't remember that quote though.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
ADVERTISEMENT