ADVERTISEMENT

Does UK offer Travis Perry on his visit this weekend?

He was treated fine. If he had played better, he would have seen more time. Pretty simple. I dont think anyone was wanting to see more Allen last year. I hope he does really well at WKU but unless he has improved greatly, he will be a backup there as well.
Lmao was he? That’s absurd and anyone paying attention knows it. He definitely wasn’t treated like the rest of the guys. That was painfully obvious.

I knew Booker's team was good, but I didn't realize that the team Perry scored 36 points against is the reigning Indiana state champ. Makes his effort look even better.

Perry — a 6-foot-2 prospect in the 2024 recruiting class — earned the Kentucky offer during a visit to Lexington on Saturday afternoon. The trip was hastily organized in the immediate aftermath of last weekend’s Titans-Rockets Summer Shootout, where Calipari showed up to watch five-star senior forward Xavier Booker and became infatuated with Perry, who put up 36 points on Booker’s Cathedral High, reigning Indiana state champions.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...ecruiting/article262865073.html#storylink=cpy

Awesome news! Can you imagine the kind of NIL cash he might get if he breaks all-time scoring record as a UK commit. He may be more hyped than Rex Chapman by the time he gets to UK.

No one will be as hyped as king rex

But if Perry was from Oklahoma, you wouldn't care two snots about him. Because he's from Kentucky, you think mean ol' Cal is overlooking him.

We can probably go get a 4 star from some other state at any point. This kid may be a solid rotational piece at Kentucky come year 3 or 4. But he isn't going to make or break any of our future teams.

You guys love to cling to the Darius Miller helped us win a national title argument. And while he was valuable--a lot of other 4 star seniors could have provided what he provided. Davis, MKG, Jones, Teague, Lamb were all bigger pieces of that puzzle.
We don’t win it without DM. You’re overstating.

makes sense don't it. :)
it makes perfect sense when you wonder why he got pulled quickly after making the same mistakes he was probably making for 3 years
without being at practice and actually seeing what was going on it is impossible to judge why things were as they were

look i was very excited when we got Allen and i truly believe that he was never the same player after his injury

Perry is a player. Not as athletic or big as Reed, but knows how to put it in the basket. Wouldn't be bad to take a chance on him.. Sometimes those kids end up being special in college and it's not like Cal doesn't have open shollys every year.

Marquis Estill, Patrick Sparks & Rondo are 3 more off the top of my head, who played big roles in the 00’s. The great teams from the 80s had plenty of KY kids who were big time contributors, too. Personally, idc where players come from. I suffer from too much state pride & love having KY kids on the roster, but, not just for the sake of having homegrown talent on the team. The in-state HS talent has been down the last cpl decades, but, it has been a LITTLE overblown, at the same time, as we’ve also seen some KY HS players go on to star or play major roles at schools other than UK.

I don’t want the coach to recruit kids just bc they’re from KY, but, on the occasions that the kid is legit, I’d like him to go all in. And, we leave 2-3 scholarships open every year. What is the harm in giving those spots to in-state guys with skills & solid fundamentals who can be developed & help out in a cpl years? I’m a big fan of skilled players, especially shooters, regardless of where they live. As long as they aren’t statues who offer nothing else & have decent size.

I’ve seen Perry play once, on a live stream, against a very good Ashland team, in the KOB, last season. He is a highly skilled player, who is more crafty than athletic, but, he’s plenty athletic enough to play here. GREAT shooter & really good passer, with tremendous vision & court awareness. He’s not likely to be the best player on the team or an early draft entrant. But, he doesn’t have to be. Every championship level team needs reliable role players just as badly as they need the studs to lead the team. And, he might not face elite competition in the HS season, but, he more than holds his own in AAU ball against top level players. But, overall, I agree with you, &, IMO, he’s absolutely good enough to be a damn good role player, here, & become a major contributor by his JR season.
Hell to the YES!! 100% agree.

This past season or the year before? Askew was far and away our worst scholarship player two years ago and he averaged 30+ minutes a game. Your argument doesn’t hold water.
Allen isn’t better then Askew although neither are good. Also Askew was basically the only PG we had.

He's already taken Lyon County as far in the Sweet Sixteen as Rex ever took Owensboro Apollo, and Perry just finished his Sophomore season.
I hope you don't expect Perry to ever be the player Rex was at UK. Chapman was a 6' 6" phenom and great athlete. They are very different players but Perry has potential to be a contributor at UK and for a Kentucky boy that's got to be exciting.

To be clear

You're tired of the "if he wasn't from Kentucky argument..." argument, but you readily acknowledge you want us to prioritize Kentucky kids first. You're tired of hearing it, but you're admitting that I'm correct. Just clarifying.

For me, it's kind of like a cherry on top of the sundae. It's nice if we have it. But as long as the ice cream and toppings are good--I'm not gonna cry over the cherry. It's the last thing I consider when picking my ice cream.

You need both. You need players that can contribute from the state over 4 years. That’s what makes everything special, that’s what connects fans to the team, that’s how you get guys willing to go to war for the program. Being from Kentucky or being a guy like Sheppard who loved UK from another state is very important. Not just for winning but for legacy and history.

At the same time we need Anthony Davis too.

I can’t imagine being a fan and just wanting a guy from California who admits in interviews he doesn’t give a shit he just wants to get to the league. Screw that. Bring a mix in and bring some Kentucky kids in and groom them all to win for the program. Calipari’s ways have created apathy for the first time in the history of this program and it’s largely because of the Sharpe’s and Vanderbilts and not enough Sheppards and Millers.

Allen isn’t better then Askew although neither are good. Also Askew was basically the only PG we had.

If you can’t see Allen is a better ball player than Askew you’re blind. He’s clearly got a higher ceiling and clearly more of a threat.

It’s true that Calipari didn’t really stick with him long term and maybe that’s best, or maybe it isn’t. But he’s clearly better than Askew.

The lengths some will go to defend this guy is insane.

You need both. You need players that can contribute from the state over 4 years. That’s what makes everything special, that’s what connects fans to the team, that’s how you get guys willing to go to war for the program. Being from Kentucky or being a guy like Sheppard who loved UK from another state is very important. Not just for winning but for legacy and history.

At the same time we need Anthony Davis too.

I can’t imagine being a fan and just wanting a guy from California who admits in interviews he doesn’t give a shit he just wants to get to the league. Screw that. Bring a mix in and bring some Kentucky kids in and groom them all to win for the program. Calipari’s ways have created apathy for the first time in the history of this program and it’s largely because of the Sharpe’s and Vanderbilts and not enough Sheppards and Millers.
People were talking about how last year's team was one of the favorite teams in a long time and one that fans had connected to the most in a long time.

Which KY kid was driving the connection? Allen from the bench?

No. It was the dude from the Congo. It was a kid from Arizona doing the griddy. It was the grandpa from Massachusetts.

Some of you clearly feel we need that. I can care less. I need winning. I need final 4's. I need titles.
I'm fine having those kids that CAN contribute come year 3 or 4. But it's not a priority in my mind.

Rex was 6’4”, not 6’6”. Never gotten why posters on this board constantly exaggerate players’ heights.
OK. 6'4" with long arms and could jump over people. You missed or ignored the point which was how different he and Perry are as players. Everybody, everywhere exaggerate players heights especially since they wear shoes that make them an inch and a half taller.

People were talking about how last year's team was one of the favorite teams in a long time and one that fans had connected to the most in a long time.

Which KY kid was driving the connection? Allen from the bench?

No. It was the dude from the Congo. It was a kid from Arizona doing the griddy. It was the grandpa from Massachusetts.

Some of you clearly feel we need that. I can care less. I need winning. I need final 4's. I need titles.
I'm fine having those kids that CAN contribute come year 3 or 4. But it's not a priority in my mind.

I clearly said Jeff Sheppard, who wasn’t from Kentucky, fits the bill of a Kentucky kid. They don’t necessarily have to be from Kentucky, but if not we need some Oscars and Sheppards. And yes it’s better for our program, the fans, and our legacy to have Kentucky kids too.

You do realize we have no championship with Calipari if you take away a Kentucky kid who played 4 years on the roster? That took A Davis and a Miller. We need guys that feel a special connection and breathe life into our program.

This is not the NBA. Calipari has done a great job of bastardizing what we’re really about, but I don’t go for it. I want it all, that includes guys that are at UK for UK.

Some of you clearly cannot link apathy with our approach at all. Kentucky isn’t Kentucky right now because we don’t consider the special aspects and just think none of this matters. It does. Why do you think Oscar is more loved than Davis? Because we’re starved for the attention placed on UK and not the NBA.

I clearly said Jeff Sheppard, who wasn’t from Kentucky, fits the bill of a Kentucky kid. They don’t necessarily have to be from Kentucky, but if not we need some Oscars and Sheppards. And yes it’s better for our program, the fans, and our legacy to have Kentucky kids too.

You do realize we have no championship with Calipari if you take away a Kentucky kid who played 4 years on the roster? That took A Davis and a Miller. We need guys that feel a special connection and breathe life into our program.

This is not the NBA. Calipari has done a great job of bastardizing what we’re really about, but I don’t go for it. I want it all, that includes guys that are at UK for UK.

Some of you clearly cannot link apathy with our approach at all. Kentucky isn’t Kentucky right now because we don’t consider the special aspects and just think none of this matters. It does. Why do you think Oscar is more loved than Davis? Because we’re starved for the attention placed on UK and not the NBA.
I love Oscar but to say he's more loved than AD is a stretch IMO. AD is one of my favorite Cats ever and I go way back to Issel etc.

ADVERTISEMENT