ADVERTISEMENT

Player decisions

The money for the buyout is obtainable, but that means taking money from NIL and other areas.

Plus, with Oats, Bama can compete with us in a bidding war for Oats. And they will try. Oats' current deal at Bama averages out to around 7 million per year. That was before the F4. We will have to spend close to 9 million or more per year if we want to get him.

And if he is smart, he is going to demand a major NIL investment be negotiated as well. It's just all going to cost way more than what they know they can get Drew or someone else for.
If it’s Scott drew I wouldn’t love it but I will support it. If he hires pope or ford then that would be a complete lateral move

If it’s Scott drew I wouldn’t love it but I will support it. If he hires pope or ford then that would be a complete lateral move
Scott Drew is the most likely name. If he brings Edgecombe with him, it could be a fun year. He also has recruited well lately, and his teams are usually good and competitive. I am concerned that in 20 years he has never won a big 12 championship and has only shared the big 12 conference title twice. He has also been past the sw 16 3 times total, and only once in the last decade. Those results will end up with fabs revolting against him just like they did for Cal.

Pope is somewhat intriguing in that he gets the pressure and expectations here better than most. He has done okay at BYU, and maybe he could improve dramatically with better resources. It's a gamble for sure.

Travis Ford will push us into Indiana/UCLA territory.

Go get Donovan, Wright, Hurley, Lloyd, Few. Beard or Pearl and I think UK will be okay. It may be a rough 1st year, but long-term we will be okay.

Oats is another gamble for me. He has had 1 good post season run, and that was completely unexpected. He has had a couple of good defensive teams, but overall they haven't been strong in that area. His offense is very gimmicky and relies way too much on 3's. He also has the issues with his players being involved in a murder and his comments about it, plus he put his hands on an opposing player this year.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Scott Drew is the most likely name. If he brings Edgecombe with him, it could be a fun year. He also has recruited well lately, and his teams are usually good and competitive. I am concerned that in 20 years he has never won a big 12 championship and has only shared the big 12 conference title twice. He has also been past the sw 16 3 times total, and only once in the last decade. Those results will end up with fabs revolting against him just like they did for Cal.

Pope is somewhat intriguing in that he gets the pressure and expectations here better than most. He has done okay at BYU, and maybe he could improve dramatically with better resources. It's a gamble for sure.

Travis Ford will push us into Indiana/UCLA territory.

Go get Donovan, Wright, Hurley, Lloyd, Few. Beard or Pearl and I think UK will be okay. It may be a rough 1st year, but long-term we will be okay.

Oats is another gamble for me. He has had 1 good post season run, and that was completely unexpected. He has had a couple of good defensive teams, but overall they haven't been strong in that area. His offense is very gimmicky and relies way too much on 3's. He also has the issues with his players being involved in a murder and his comments about it, plus he put his hands on an opposing player this year.
My only question with donavon is how does he handle NIL and the portal? Hurley leaving a school after winning 2 titles just seems to crazy to actually happen. Lloyd will get good teams but he has the same tourney questions oats had.

Reactions: BluesDaddy
My only question with donavon is how does he handle NIL and the portal? Hurley leaving a school after winning 2 titles just seems to crazy to actually happen. Lloyd will get good teams but he has the same tourney questions oats had.
You can put assistants around Donovan with NIL and portal experience that will handle recruiting.

I do agree Hurley isn't likely to leave Uconn, but rumors suggest he is open to it and evidently has an ego that craves the biggest stage.

Lloyd has only been an HC for 3 years. I think we have to consider that. In those 3 years, he already has 2 sw16 appearances. That's pretty good.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT