ADVERTISEMENT

Player decisions

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
Thoughts on how the past 12 hours might affect player decisions?

Of course who the next coach is, how quickly he is named, who and how quickly he gets a staff up and going, and his initial talks with players will b a huge unknown factor.

Hart- may increase chance he returns thinking less competition next year

Burks - same as Hart, and I think a coach would like what he offers

Reed - could slightly increase, but honestly I don’t think it will change it much, as I don’t see him leaving to another school, so for him it’s UK or NBA

Z - decrease chance he returns, probably will be fewer players and coaches, people he knows left, but hope I’m wrong

Bradshaw - increases, I think he may see others leaving as his chance to be “the guy” with new coach

Theiro - maybe decreases, I think for him it may come down to biggest NIL offer

Wagner- decreases, his ties to Cal are more than to UK, but I think this may open door to him going elsewhere

Onyenso - increase, but like Theiro it may come down to NIL offers

Freshmen - Perry probably still comes, after him I would bet against the other 5, but in order of most to least likely to come (starting at about 20-30%) my quests is Cyril, Richmond, Fland, Quaintance, Knox

Lastly, what a shocker that SMU is now the center of college basketball universe!
SMU takes USC coach, who takes Ark coach, who takes UK coach.

My guess is pretty much anybody who played any significant mins at all isn’t returning and Cal knows that.

One thing about it is we may not be very good next year depending on who we hire but I bet none of those guys follow him to Arkansas either.

He’ll be starting five freshmen.

I don’t think any, certainly no more than 1 23-24 Cat follows him to Ark. if one does, the most likely may be Z

Of course who the next coach is, how quickly he is named, who and how quickly he gets a staff up and going, and his initial talks with players will b a huge unknown factor.

Reed - could slightly increase, but honestly I don’t think it will change it much, as I don’t see him leaving to another school, so for him it’s UK or NBA

Z - decrease chance he returns, probably will be fewer players and coaches, people he knows left, but hope I’m wrong

Bradshaw - increases, I think he may see others leaving as his chance to be “the guy” with new coach

Wagner- decreases, his ties to Cal are more than to UK, but I think this may open door to him going elsewhere

Freshmen - Perry probably still comes, after him I would bet against the other 5, but in order of most to least likely to come (starting at about 20-30%) my quests is Cyril, Richmond, Fland, Quaintance, Knox

Lastly, what a shocker that SMU is now the center of college basketball universe!
No way Ugo returns, I don’t see Z returning unless the new coach convinces him. I’d venture to say we will be lucky to keep a couple guys like Burks and Perry. Reed 100% goes pro now, even though I’ve always thought he would anyway. This class that’s signed is toast, they all going.

Reactions: CROCAT
No one is returning. Perry may stick depending on the coach.

Any moron who thinks Reed is more likely to come back with a new coach is brain damaged. He went from a projected multi year player who may make the NBA one day, to a likely lottery pick in 1 year. He wasn't held back like many of you morons think. That is actually the opposite of being held back. He's gone.

I could easily see Wagner following Cal to Arkansas.

He’s got the family ties to Cal and …after a season in which Cal steadfastly kept starting him even when he was being totally outplayed by his backups …he damn well knows he’ll get all the PT he wants there.
Yeah I actually agree with that. He is the only one I could see going with him.. maybe Z also but I don’t think so.

If Kentucky get oats, then I think fland and quantaince will atleast listen to what he has to say

Reactions: BigKari
No one is returning. Perry may stick depending on the coach.

Any moron who thinks Reed is more likely to come back with a new coach is brain damaged. He went from a projected multi year player who may make the NBA one day, to a likely lottery pick in 1 year. He wasn't held back like many of you morons think. That is actually the opposite of being held back. He's gone.
Not according to pilgrim. I think Sheppard is league bound, but it isn’t outrageous to think a Kentucky kid would here the thoughts of a new coach

I don’t see a single player returning and probably only Perry from the freshman will remain committed to UK.

We aren't getting Oats. Thank God! And both of those players could have committed to Oats out of HS. They obviously weren't interested in his approach.
Bama was involved for both, cal is a good recruiter, I don’t think either stay but it’s not far fetched. And you don’t know at all what Kentucky is doing and who may or may not come here just like the rest of us. Kentucky can get Nate oats, the question comes down , does oats want to coach at Kentucky

Depends on the next coach more than anything.

Get Hurley, Oats, Drew, or a college guy they are familiar with and know from the recruiting trail and some of the incoming class and returning players will listen. Same with the freshmen.

Drag it out too long and we lose them all except maybe Perry.

Not according to pilgrim. I think Sheppard is league bound, but it isn’t outrageous to think a Kentucky kid would here the thoughts of a new coach
Lol, Pilgrim literally was finding out last night with the rest of us that Cal was leaving. He is not connected at all. Whatever he is saying is based on things he has read here, reads on twitter and educated guesses.

Reed isn't passing up over 20 million in guaranteed money to come back for an unknown. You're delusional if you actually think that.

Bama was involved for both, cal is a good recruiter, I don’t think either stay but it’s not far fetched. And you don’t know at all what Kentucky is doing and who may or may not come here just like the rest of us. Kentucky can get Nate oats, the question comes down , does oats want to coach at Kentucky
Oats recruited both and got neither. I don't even think Bama was heavily considered by either. That should tell you they weren't really that interested in Oats.

Are you willing to bet on Nate Oats coming to UK. Cause I will glady place a wager that he isn't and won't even be contacted.

Actually, it comes down to does Barnhart want Oats, (he doesn't), and would UK pay 18 million in buyout money to Bama just to be able to hire him, (they won't). It's really that simple.

Agree. Why Oats when Donovan comes with no buy out and Hurley, Golden, and Wright with little to no buy out. Alabama AD was brilliant in having Oats sign a contract with such a large buyout.

Lol, Pilgrim literally was finding out last night with the rest of us that Cal was leaving. He is not connected at all. Whatever he is saying is based on things he has read here, reads on twitter and educated guesses.

Reed isn't passing up over 20 million in guaranteed money to come back for an unknown. You're delusional if you actually think that.

Oats recruited both and got neither. I don't even think Bama was heavily considered by either. That should tell you they weren't really that interested in Oats.

Are you willing to bet on Nate Oats coming to UK. Cause I will glady place a wager that he isn't and won't even be contacted.

Actually, it comes down to does Barnhart want Oats, (he doesn't), and would UK pay 18 million in buyout money to Bama just to be able to hire him, (they won't). It's really that simple.
Barnhart didn’t want to hire calipari but he did. You don’t know any of that you’re literally guessing like everybody else. And no I won’t place a wager because I don’t know anything either. Oats makes the most sense and outside of Hurley would have Kentucky competing the earliest

• Haha
Reactions: BluesDaddy
I’m afraid we’ll lose everyone, not win a game in the sec tournament, and get bounced in the opening round of the ncaa tournament. Wow that would show everyone how valuable Kal was.

Barnhart didn’t want to hire calipari but he did. You don’t know any of that you’re literally guessing like everybody else. And no I won’t place a wager because I don’t know anything either. Oats makes the most sense and outside of Hurley would have Kentucky competing the earliest
Lol, that's not even remotely true. That rumor has been debunked several times on here. Barnhart went to Lee Todd at advocated to hire Cal. He was the only person Mitch wanted at the time.

You won't make a wager because you have no confidence in what you're spewing.

Oats makes no sense due to a massive 18 million dollar buyout. Athletic department have these things called budgets they have to work within. Spending an unnecessary 18 million tends to have a negative impact on that budget.

Lol, that's not even remotely true. That rumor has been debunked several times on here. Barnhart went to Lee Todd at advocated to hire Cal. He was the only person Mitch wanted at the time.

You won't make a wager because you have no confidence in what you're spewing.

Oats makes no sense due to a massive 18 million dollar buyout. Athletic department have these things called budgets they have to work within. Spending an unnecessary 18 million tends to have a negative impact on that budget.
Who has debunked that rumor, because Mitch not wanting cal has been said by others. I won’t wager because I have no clue what is gonna happen, neither do you. You are trying to act like a fake AD with knowledge of the situation, when in reality you know nothing like me. Oats makes sense, and would be a good hire, your gonan have to spend money to get a good coach. With you logic Kentucky will hire the coach at the university of the Cumberlands because it puts the least amount of stress on the budget. Budgets get broken all the time, and money can be raised, Kentucky was going to get the 33 million to buy-out but keep spewing the budget aspect. Most likely Kentucky ends up hiring Scott drew, but they can get oats, and should go get oats.

I’m afraid we’ll lose everyone, not win a game in the sec tournament, and get bounced in the opening round of the ncaa tournament. Wow that would show everyone how valuable Kal was.
Yeah... just think about that happening to Kentucky.... oh wait! ;)

Reactions: ck-2
Who has debunked that rumor, because Mitch not wanting cal has been said by others. I won’t wager because I have no clue what is gonna happen, neither do you. You are trying to act like a fake AD with knowledge of the situation, when in reality you know nothing like me. Oats makes sense, and would be a good hire, your gonan have to spend money to get a good coach. With you logic Kentucky will hire the coach at the university of the Cumberlands because it puts the least amount of stress on the budget. Budgets get broken all the time, and money can be raised, Kentucky was going to get the 33 million to buy-out but keep spewing the budget aspect. Most likely Kentucky ends up hiring Scott drew, but they can get oats, and should go get oats.
It's been debunked by countless people invovled in the situation. Go back and read old threads about it.

You won't wager because you know deep down it won't be Oats. Makes no sense.

I'm not trying to act like anything. Spending an unnecessary 18 million isn't something AD's tend to do that enjoy their jobs. Particularly on someone as unproven as Oats.

Lol, I don't think Scott Drew or many other good coaches include an 18million dollar buyout. And Drew actually has a title. So, he is more proven and has a relationship with Barnhart. It's him!

Lol, UK never had the buyout money, which is why Cal was kept. The Crafts said no. Also, taking money from donors for buyout also takes away from NIL funding by donors. So, no, they won't be paying that.

It's been debunked by countless people invovled in the situation. Go back and read old threads about it.

You won't wager because you know deep down it won't be Oats. Makes no sense.

I'm not trying to act like anything. Spending an unnecessary 18 million isn't something AD's tend to do that enjoy their jobs. Particularly on someone as unproven as Oats.

Lol, I don't think Scott Drew or many other good coaches include an 18million dollar buyout. And Drew actually has a title. So, he is more proven and has a relationship with Barnhart. It's him!

Lol, UK never had the buyout money, which is why Cal was kept. The Crafts said no. Also, taking money from donors for buyout also takes away from NIL funding by donors. So, no, they won't be paying that.
Then why did multiple media people say the money was there Barnhart didn’t do it because of lack of home run hires.

I'm confused as to why UK has to do a buyout for Oats. He'd be leaving willingly. Is there some sort of verbiage in his contract that if he leaves elsewhere from Alabama, that other school must foot the bill?

Edit: wow, it seems that is the case. Alabama put some protecting in there in case he leaves. Interesting.

I don’t see a single player returning and probably only Perry from the freshman will remain committed to UK.
I think it very unlikely that from the possible 16 guys either returning or committed (ok 14 if you don't count Rob or Edwards) that only Perry is a Wildcat next year.

Then why did multiple media people say the money was there Barnhart didn’t do it because of lack of home run hires.
It was boosters trying to put pressure on Mitch to act then by insinuating the money was there, even though it wasn't. The administration kept saying it wasn't there. The Crafts would never give the greenlight because they didn't want to give Cal anymore money, and they didn't want to save Mitch from his horrible contract.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
People need to be prepared for every player (except maybe Perry) to leave. Thinking otherwise is being naïve.

It was boosters trying to put pressure on Mitch to act then by insinuating the money was there, even though it wasn't. The administration kept saying it wasn't there. The Crafts would never give the greenlight because they didn't want to give Cal anymore money, and they didn't want to save Mitch from his horrible contract.
Fair enough. I still think they could get the money to get oats, this fanbase needs a jolt of new energy and he would provide that

Every single recruit will re-open their recruiting process
Every single player on scholarship will enter the portal

Some MIGHT return, for sure - it all depends on the next coach

I imagine they're all gone except Perry.

Either way, the new coach will bring people with him, land portal guys, and be just fine.

The bad news. We lose a great recruiting class and possibly, some returning players.

The good news. This would be a death blow for next year in most cases. Not in today's portal era.

Whoever UK hires, will bring their own "crew" of transfers, recruits, portal connections.

People need to be prepared for every player (except maybe Perry) to leave. Thinking otherwise is being naïve.
"being prepared", sure, it certainly could happen.
But expecting it, is another thing, is just being cynical.
I mean if we hire a coach unable to persuade 1 or 2 out of 5 or 6 recruits to still come here, unable to persuade 1 or 2 or 3 out of 6 to 8 possible returnees to return, then that is not saying much positive about the new hire.

Look at other programs in recent years when a coach has left, some current players and recruits aren't there the next year, but a few are.
We have lots of people on here post with one hand "the players want to get away from Cal as fast as they can", and with their other hand in another thread post "every player will follow Cal to Ark". That is 2 very contradictory statements. I'm not saying JFCats22 did that (I bet he didn't), but some on here do.

Fair enough. I still think they could get the money to get oats, this fanbase needs a jolt of new energy and he would provide that
The money for the buyout is obtainable, but that means taking money from NIL and other areas.

Plus, with Oats, Bama can compete with us in a bidding war for Oats. And they will try. Oats' current deal at Bama averages out to around 7 million per year. That was before the F4. We will have to spend close to 9 million or more per year if we want to get him.

And if he is smart, he is going to demand a major NIL investment be negotiated as well. It's just all going to cost way more than what they know they can get Drew or someone else for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT