ADVERTISEMENT

Does Roku work for streaming UK games

I'm having a Media Cube delivered Wed. They say it's the greatest. I'll keep you posted.
Media Cube is an Android M8 box with kodi installed on it. If you go to Media Cube's website, look at how the interface looks and look at my screen shots above. There's different customizable skins for Kodi, but you can see the similarities.

Read this Reddit thread.

Reactions: meow_cat
Further update. I'm currently using Roku3 with Sling on one TV and Amazon Firestick with Kodi on another TV for comparison sake. The Kodi is simply amazing, even if the interface is not nearly as intuitive for a non-techie. I need to further understand how to find live sports streams on the Kodi, but I have no doubt it can be done, considering what I have seen so far....

Reactions: Clive Gollings
Further update. I'm currently using Roku3 with Sling on one TV and Amazon Firestick with Kodi on another TV for comparison sake. The Kodi is simply amazing, even if the interface is not nearly as intuitive for a non-techie. I need to further understand how to find live sports streams on the Kodi, but I have no doubt it can be done, considering what I have seen so far....

Have you checked out the SportsDevil in your Kodi Add Ons?

Some may have better luck than me. cCloud is another great channel for live sports. Prior to iptv stalker and setting up the guide, I used to browse cCloud for news channels in the morning and all their live tv links worked great.

The great thing about Kodi is it's ever evolving. So someone somewhere may always know of a channel or build that makes it better than what we have.

I like to follow JoeNobody on youtube. He's loves kodi and spends way more time on it than I do. So I check out his videos from time to time. Plus he's entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JoeNobody010101

Last edited:
Have you checked out the SportsDevil in your Kodi Add Ons?
Not yet, but I intend to.

I'm still shocked at the fact that you can find apparently ANYTHING on there if you look for it. I haven't tried to find a real time webcam feed of the SI Swimsuit body painting behind the scenes yet, but I'm sure if it exists, I could locate it :)

@crazyqx83 , do you need to tell him that he's stealing?
Is it stealing if you're never in possession of it? A court here says it's not. It's nothing like torrents to where you're actually in possession of a file.

They ruled it as...basically, it's like going to your friends house and watching a movie he rented.

Not yet, but I intend to.

I'm still shocked at the fact that you can find apparently ANYTHING on there if you look for it. I haven't tried to find a real time webcam feed of the SI Swimsuit body painting behind the scenes yet, but I'm sure if it exists, I could locate it :)
Google on how to install specto. I think I posted a link above on how to set up libraries. The libraries will become your best friend and first go to when you turn on kodi. Once everything is up to date. "recently added" is like your own tivo.

This is a bit long, but follow it step by step if you're new. You'll learn a lot about how to customize kodi and libraries. It may be a bit confusing at first but the zip files he has available here. Just pay attention to what he's installing and search his site for the proper files. It's sounds confusing but it's really not, and once you install everything. It's super easy to use. Trust me.

For those that have a trakt.tv (trakt.tv is great to where when you upgrade kodi, you can import all your favorite tv shows.

Last edited:
Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
There are a lot of tutorials for setting up kodi. Find one that works for you. This is just once source from a dude from Knoxville.

http://spoonfedproduction.com/

This guy above teach you how to set up and customize your own. Dude's like joenobody will give you links to builds. With builds everything is set up already. I like to customize my stuff so I like to know how to do that. With builds it's all included preset. You can still change it, but you have to learn how. ie spoonfed.

I'm not a teacher, so I'm probably making it sound harder than it is. Most people should probably just use builds.

Last edited:
Going to get my Roku now. Will have it installed tonight and 300mbps internet installed tomorrow.

Take that ATT from a customer since 1968.

Lou

Reactions: UKvisitor
Google on how to install specto. I think I posted a link above on how to set up libraries. The libraries will become your best friend and first go to when you turn on kodi. Once everything is up to date. "recently added" is like your own tivo.

This is a bit long, but follow it step by step if you're new. You'll learn a lot about how to customize kodi and libraries. It may be a bit confusing at first but the zip files he has available here. Just pay attention to what he's installing and search his site for the proper files. It's sounds confusing but it's really not, and once you install everything. It's super easy to use. Trust me.

For those that have a trakt.tv (trakt.tv is great to where when you upgrade kodi, you can import all your favorite tv shows.

good stuff, thanks for the info.

Reactions: Clive Gollings
Is it stealing if you're never in possession of it? A court here says it's not. It's nothing like torrents to where you're actually in possession of a file.

They ruled it as...basically, it's like going to your friends house and watching a movie he rented.

Short answer: No and yes. Long answer: Yes, no, maybe, technically yes, technically no, depends on your country, depends on what ruling you reference, depends on what circumstances, depends on what legal scholars you believe.

WHICH IS WHY I KEEP SAYING THAT THE LAWS HAVE NOT CAUGHT UP TO THE TECHNOLOGY YET @crazyqx83 !!!

It is not illegal:
as of now, no, it is not illegal to stream copyrighted content, as per a ruling in the CJEU in Europe. This is based on the "fact" that is a "temporary copy" and not reproducible/redistributable by you, the end viewer.

It is illegal:
Great: except for that it's clearly reproducible in the fact that you can watch it over and over at any time, really. Ok, so it's not illegal for the end viewer, but IS illegal for whoever is hosting the content. Where do you draw your philosophical/moral line? You can be prosecuted for receiving stolen goods, but not for a "stolen" tv show? Or is it a different animal altogether? WHAT ARE THESE LAWS??

It is not illegal:
You will never be targeted as the end viewer. The logistics and man hours to snag you are completely not worth the time of law enforcement, or even the MPAA. This despite the fact that you probably know, objectively, that you are stealing pay TV. Not a problem in the eyes of the law!

It is illegal: it IS illegal to share passwords! Why? No one knows! That's just the first bit of legislation that got through. So as of now, it is not explicitly illegal for me to buy a little Kodi and stream ESPN to my heart's content. It IS explicitly illegal to us my brother's login to watch ESPN. WHY? NONE OF THIS MAKES SENSE!!!

Bottom line: We are in the wild wild west people, and I don't mean that Will Smith movie. The forces that be are gathering to make streaming illegal. How successful will they be when the technology is already out there? Laws contradict each other in both letter and philosophy, and are barely enforced. We're in limbo while the lawmakers try to understand wtf is going on. DO WHAT YOU SEE FIT AND WHAT YOU'RE COMFORTABLE WITH. I don't see TV shows getting crappier and crappier, in fact, they just get better and better, the cable companies (who have us by the balls with internet service) get richer and richer, even while a sizeable portion cuts the cord. Oh no ESPN had to trim the fat. Let me play them the world's smallest violin...

Whats next?: no one knows. My guess is we'll end up with a spotify solution: pay a monthly ransom to TV/MPAA and they'll help provide the architecture and turn a blind eye to DIYers. Content will be everywhere, hosted by anyone who cares to host it. 20th century copyright rules will begin to crumble.

As for now, we can stop this whole "YOU'RE STEALING, NO YOU'RE STEALING" crap. It is clear that no lawmakers can come to a consensus on what is or what isn't.

Got my Roku installed . Wow!!! Can't believe all the free stuff . Now for the challenge of seeing if this is the answer for a 4 tv household. I'll keep you posted . If it does work for me you can conclude any idiot can do it since I am technically challenged.

Another issue is this. The guy at Best Buy said I would be better off buying my own router and modem for about $ 350 than renting them from TW. The guy who unstalled my Roku agreed with the router but said I need to keep the TW modem since I am getting their phone service(for ten bucks a month including free long distance in USA and 34 other countries) . He said it may have to be a modum compatible with the phone .. I may have this reversed and it may be the router but I'll keep you posted as to whether this project is successful in cutting the cord.

Get my 300 Mbps Internet installed tomorrow although it all seems to work perfect with my 6 Mbps Uverse system I am ultimately getting rid of.

Reactions: UKvisitor
Short answer: No and yes. Long answer: Yes, no, maybe, technically yes, technically no, depends on your country, depends on what ruling you reference, depends on what circumstances, depends on what legal scholars you believe.

WHICH IS WHY I KEEP SAYING THAT THE LAWS HAVE NOT CAUGHT UP TO THE TECHNOLOGY YET @crazyqx83 !!!

It is not illegal:
as of now, no, it is not illegal to stream copyrighted content, as per a ruling in the CJEU in Europe. This is based on the "fact" that is a "temporary copy" and not reproducible/redistributable by you, the end viewer.

It is illegal:
Great: except for that it's clearly reproducible in the fact that you can watch it over and over at any time, really. Ok, so it's not illegal for the end viewer, but IS illegal for whoever is hosting the content. Where do you draw your philosophical/moral line? You can be prosecuted for receiving stolen goods, but not for a "stolen" tv show? Or is it a different animal altogether? WHAT ARE THESE LAWS??

It is not illegal:
You will never be targeted as the end viewer. The logistics and man hours to snag you are completely not worth the time of law enforcement, or even the MPAA. This despite the fact that you probably know, objectively, that you are stealing pay TV. Not a problem in the eyes of the law!

It is illegal: it IS illegal to share passwords! Why? No one knows! That's just the first bit of legislation that got through. So as of now, it is not explicitly illegal for me to buy a little Kodi and stream ESPN to my heart's content. It IS explicitly illegal to us my brother's login to watch ESPN. WHY? NONE OF THIS MAKES SENSE!!!

Bottom line: We are in the wild wild west people, and I don't mean that Will Smith movie. The forces that be are gathering to make streaming illegal. How successful will they be when the technology is already out there? Laws contradict each other in both letter and philosophy, and are barely enforced. We're in limbo while the lawmakers try to understand wtf is going on. DO WHAT YOU SEE FIT AND WHAT YOU'RE COMFORTABLE WITH. I don't see TV shows getting crappier and crappier, in fact, they just get better and better, the cable companies (who have us by the balls with internet service) get richer and richer, even while a sizeable portion cuts the cord. Oh no ESPN had to trim the fat. Let me play them the world's smallest violin...

Whats next?: no one knows. My guess is we'll end up with a spotify solution: pay a monthly ransom to TV/MPAA and they'll help provide the architecture and turn a blind eye to DIYers. Content will be everywhere, hosted by anyone who cares to host it. 20th century copyright rules will begin to crumble.

As for now, we can stop this whole "YOU'RE STEALING, NO YOU'RE STEALING" crap. It is clear that no lawmakers can come to a consensus on what is or what isn't.

You're making the equivalency of the argument that sneaking into a movie theater or sporting venue isn't illegal. It's a dumb as shit argument.

Or maybe you're right and there's no reason to pay for "pay for viewing content" (as dumb as hell and illogical as that sounds). You think anyone is going to pump the kind of monetary resources into a game that it requires to produce and broadcast if there's no profit in it? "Der der der der... I got to watch sporting events for free for 10 years." Wow.. Look... Now sporting events are pay per view at the price point of a boxing or UFC main event. I bet you feel really ****ing neat that you "outsmarted" the court system and copyright laws.

You're making the equivalency of the argument that sneaking into a movie theater or sporting venue isn't illegal. It's a dumb as shit argument.

Or maybe you're right and there's no reason to pay for "pay for viewing content" (as dumb as hell and illogical as that sounds). You think anyone is going to pump the kind of monetary resources into a game that it requires to produce and broadcast if there's no profit in it? "Der der der der... I got to watch sporting events for free for 10 years." Wow.. Look... Now sporting events are pay per view at the price point of a boxing or UFC main event. I bet you feel really ****ing neat that you "outsmarted" the court system and copyright laws.
I want to note that you guys are discussing stealing content form the entity that produced it. Not from the unnecessary middleman know as cable or satellite tv. While they were necessary at one time but they no longer are nor do they provide any value . They are simply leaches trying to make money by providing content from others to you. Before streaming they were necessary . Today they are like the stagecoach, telegraph,full service gas station ,green stamps, earl scheib car paint job, Zbart rust protection, mag card typewriters, etc. . Outdated .

A friend of mine started a cable franchise back in the early seventies . Sold out and made over one hundred million. Sinc that time that cable company has had five leveraged buyouts netting hundreds of millions to owners/shareholders each time resulting in higher cable rates to consumers to pay for each leveraged buyout. Now that technology has passed them by they are unnecessary and the last guy gets left holding the bag in an industry that has fleeced the public time and time again . They should simply go out of business . that's how capitalism stays efficient and provides the highest standard of living of any economic system . If anybody is stealing its the unnecessary middleman .

Reactions: StubbornPenny
I want to note that you guys are discussing stealing content form the entity that produced it. Not from the unnecessary middleman know as cable or satellite tv. While they were necessary at one time but they no longer are nor do they provide any value . They are simply leaches trying to make money by providing content from others to you. Before streaming they were necessary . Today they are like the stagecoach, telegraph,full service gas station ,green stamps, earl scheib car paint job, Zbart rust protection, mag card typewriters, etc. . Outdated .

A friend of mine started a cable franchise back in the early seventies . Sold out and made over one hundred million. Sinc that time that cable company has had five leveraged buyouts netting hundreds of millions to owners/shareholders each time resulting in higher cable rates to consumers to pay for each leveraged buyout. Now that technology has passed them by they are unnecessary and the last guy gets left holding the bag in an industry that has fleeced the public time and time again . They should simply go out of business . that's how capitalism stays efficient and provides the highest standard of living of any economic system . If anybody is stealing its the unnecessary middleman .
You do realize that our entire economy is based on the concept of unnecessary middlemen, right?

You do realize that our entire economy is based on the concept of unnecessary middlemen, right?
Only when they provide value. Before the more efficient delivery of a tv signal by Internet they were not only necessary but critical . In one city I lived in we were in a hole and the only way to get tv was by cable. Same for many people who needed satellite .

Stagecoach provided great service, pony express did, telegraph did, UNTIL technology passed them by and made them obsolete. They no longer provided VALUE and their days were numbered . And rightly so.

Middlemen(women) survive in our economy only if they add value in some way. I am so tech savvy (sarcasm I m a techie dunce ) that when my kid came over years ago asked me why I still paid for AOL. I said because I have to to get to the Internet stupid. He said no dad you do not need AOL to get to the Internet. He was right. Many other better free options . Same case here . Cable and satellite provided a tv signal . That provide value. However Internet now does it in a much quicker, cheaper, more reliable mode. Therefore people should not have to pay for a middleman that doesn't provide value .

Basically the reason cable and satellite tv rates are so high is because of the number of leveraged buyouts lots of the big guys got filthy rich on.that is of no value to me. They bought a pig in a poke thinking they could recoup their investment by sticking it to me and tens of millions of other consumers. Joke's on them.

LOL at the folks on here trying to somehow justify in their own minds that taking something that somebody else worked hard to make and most people are willing to pay for is somehow not "stealing."
Did you see Disney announced yesterday it was having its ESPN unit plan to implement a streaming service . Bought a streaming company for several billion to prepare for it. They now realize cable and satellite are not necessary,not a good option ,not efficient, add no value , and will go the way of the do do bird.

As long as you pay for the content you are not stealing. Just using a more efficient provider. Do you still pay for AOL?

I pay Sling for ESPN, HBO, and about twenty other channels. Buy only what I want . Am not a slave to the cable ,satellite companies forcing me to buy channels I never wach. That is NOT stealing. It is free enterprise and very very American.

BTW Sling is owned by Dish . It's just a modern efficient way of giving the customer what she wants . Isn't that a novel idea.

Again I pay for content. The only thing different is that I don't pay for an outdated insufficient obnoxious Money grubbing, poorly run, delivery system .

Last edited:
Did you see Disney announced yesterday it was having its ESPN unit plan to implement a streaming service . Bought a streaming company for several billion to prepare for it. They now realize cable and satellite are not necessary,not a good option ,not efficient, add no value , and will go the way of the do do bird.

As long as you pay for the content you are not stealing. Just using a more efficient provider. Do you still pay for AOL?

I pay Sling for ESPN, HBO, and about twenty other channels. Buy only what I want . Am not a slave to the cable ,satellite companies forcing me to buy channels I never wach. That is NOT stealing. It is free enterprise and very very American.

BTW Sling is owned by Dish . It's just a modern efficient way of giving the customer what she wants . Isn't that a novel idea.
It's early yet, but I feel confident in proclaiming that you, Sir, have won the internet for today. Congratulations! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Let us parse this stuff so fine that only God on judgement day can rule.

Oh, the car? Officer the car is my friends. How did I get it? I went to his house and drove off in it. I will return it when I am finished with it. Did I buy it from my friend? Oh I don't own it or pay rent for it I am just using it. Why did I steal the car? I did not steal the car Officer. My friend had let me ride in it before, he will not care if I drive it. Did my friend know that I was using it? Well I don't know if he saw me drive off in his car or not. No sir, that is not stealing Officer. I don't possess this car, just driving it.

Officer, why should I get out of the car? What do you mean we are going downtown? I am just driving it this year.

Oh, the car? Officer the car is my friends. How did I get it? I went to his house and drove off in it. I will return it when I am finished with it. Did I buy it from my friend? Oh I don't own it or pay rent for it I am just using it. Why did I steal the car? I did not steal the car Officer. My friend had let me ride in it before, he will not care if I drive it. Did my friend know that I was using it? Well I don't know if he saw me drive off in his car or not. No sir, that is not stealing Officer. I don't possess this car, just driving it.

Officer, why should I get out of the car? What do you mean we are going downtown? I am just driving it this year.

What does Fats and his endless supply of Camaros have to do with this? :)

I think others said it better than me, but what I'm arguing is that the industry is in a state of flux and crisis. Technology has clearly made the TV side of cable companies obsolete, much as Napster, the iTunes, then Spotify made paying $25 for a CD obsolete. Did music die? No. The model changed. When an entity becomes too big to sustain itself, a new platform will emerge to fill the void. What will that platform be? Sling? Vue? Direct-to-consumer? No one knows yet, but it WILL emerge. It will emerge and people will GLADLY pay a reasonable price for it. In the meantime, before it emerges, more people than just I have decided that the current rates are not reasonable, and have begun to abandon them. It's actually the most capitalist thing you can do, this is the market self correction they always talk about.

In the near future, you will see major networks (AMC, ESPN, FX, stuff like that) not renew contracts with cable and either form their own coalition, or go direct to consumer. Cable is going ala carte like we always wanted, just in a different way than we imagined.

I find it very funny that you singled me out when A. I pay for Vue when my sports are in season, and B. even if I share my brother's ESPN password, there's at least a real account that's paying for the service (which I contribute to). I may be invoking the "everybody's doing it argument" here, but a lot of people are doing it. That's why we're seeing the market correction. That companies aim should be to give me a solution that I will gladly pay for, not to jack rates. This is how cable failed.

Besides. the money isn't going anywhere, it's just going to different places. Cable companies still vastly dominate the ISP market. You think they haven't figured out that people will need more Mbps as streaming becomes more ubiquitous? They'll get their money, just with a different arm, unless google fiber decides to destroy them.

So basically: chill out. You aren't the moral police any more than you are the real police. When everything shakes out, I bet the vast majority of us are paying for some service, whatever that service ends up being.

Talk to the European Union about that ruling, not us.

I canceled TWC because I just don't watch enough network TV or sports--and because TWC is just a complete rip off IMO. I mostly watch HBO, Netflix, and Showtime, all of which I pay a subscription for. That won't change. I have a job, I like to watch all these broadcasts on my iPad and love to pay for them. I publish books, and frequently find my work on torrent sites--so, I'm definitely a proponent of paying for my entertainment.

All I really want to do is get some regular national networks (where I watch all the same commercials as everyone else) without getting reamed by a cable company who really has little competition in our area. Unfortunately, there isn't really a system in place that offers a-la-carte programming. Soon, I hope...and will be happy to pay.

@crazyqx83 , do you need to tell him that he's stealing?

Last edited:

Have you tried Sling on the Firestick yet? Mine is really buggy and slow, but Kodi works great. I'm really thinking I'm gonna need a Roku for Sling.

Talk to the European Union about that ruling, not us.
I love you guys and I enjoy threads like this because I learn a lot about the tech stuff I have never investigated.

But having been raised by a good Christian man, I do know what stealing is. If you take a commercially valuable commodity (even a copyrighted movie) without permission or without paying a cent for it then you have stolen it. Using pirated intellectual property is a crime. You probably will not get caught; however, the pirated stuff simply increases the cost to the honest users.

the pirated stuff simply increases the cost to the honest users.

Only problem is, it isn't that simple. https://www.scribd.com/document/172985274/LSE-MPP-Policy-Brief-9-Copyright-and-Creation Piracy has not been found to reduce revenue of creative companies. Consumers who regularly pirate tend to spend more on legal content than those who only purchase legal content.

I think it's very easy to think "U R STEALING" and imagine anyone who's ever streamed something is dressed like the hamburglar in front of his TV, twirling his moustache and counting his bags of money saved from piracy. It isn't the case. People pirate for a lot of different reasons. Many people do it when they wouldn't have bought the product anyway, whether for curiosity or for financial reasons. That doesn't raise costs or skew the business model. Personally, back in the day I pirated a lot of video games. Why? Because reviews didn't tell me what I wanted to know, there were no rentals, and I was not willing to plunk down $60 to try a game out. So, I'd pirate and play for a bit. If I liked it, I'd almost always buy it. If I didn't, I'd toss it out. Illegal? Yes, though you tell me: what harm was done?

The idea of copyright and stealing is going to evolve a LOT in the next decade. Just wait until everyone has 3D printers, people start making exact replicas of say, high quality tools, and then sell them or give them away. Is this stealing? Is this piracy? What about when Ken Towery Auto is trying to charge you $300 for a part you know only cost them $10, and you can download and print for free. Is this the "middle man" we're obligated to pay? I don't believe so. What rang true as stealing 30 years ago to everyone may only ring true to 50% of people now. What rings true as stealing to 50% of people may be laughed at in the future. Keep in mind, multiple generations were convinced marijuana was evil; now you can buy it in pretty store front in two states. Definitions and perception change over time. Copyright is no exception, and we're seeing that happen now.

As I've said before, piracy is easy to stop: give the consumer a turn key solution for a fair price. It is literally that simple. Few are the people who are hell bent on pirating no matter what.

Reactions: treyforuk
From what I've heard the Roku doesn't really do Kodi. I've seen some workarounds, but they don't work very good.
Maybe it is because our strategy is to pay for content we want such as HBO ,SEC channel,Cnn,FoxBusiness, Hgtv, Amc, etc from Sling. We're not trying to get anything for free just not to be forced to pay exorbitant rates to a middleman who forces us to buy hundreds of channels we don't want.
The other thing I am doing is splitting my service so that if direct tv goes out I can watch sling , if computer goes out I can watch Direct . If both go out if I have power I can watch one seldom used TV I'm setting up with antenna .

Also if power goes out I'll have power from natural gas automatic generator. So I'm prepared.

I thought the TV part of this project would be more expensive by splitting it . But am surprised to find that it is cheaper.

Only when they provide value. Before the more efficient delivery of a tv signal by Internet they were not only necessary but critical . In one city I lived in we were in a hole and the only way to get tv was by cable. Same for many people who needed satellite .

Stagecoach provided great service, pony express did, telegraph did, UNTIL technology passed them by and made them obsolete. They no longer provided VALUE and their days were numbered . And rightly so.

Middlemen(women) survive in our economy only if they add value in some way. I am so tech savvy (sarcasm I m a techie dunce ) that when my kid came over years ago asked me why I still paid for AOL. I said because I have to to get to the Internet stupid. He said no dad you do not need AOL to get to the Internet. He was right. Many other better free options . Same case here . Cable and satellite provided a tv signal . That provide value. However Internet now does it in a much quicker, cheaper, more reliable mode. Therefore people should not have to pay for a middleman that doesn't provide value .

Basically the reason cable and satellite tv rates are so high is because of the number of leveraged buyouts lots of the big guys got filthy rich on.that is of no value to me. They bought a pig in a poke thinking they could recoup their investment by sticking it to me and tens of millions of other consumers. Joke's on them.
You do realize that there are laws in place in most states preventing the sale of things like cars and insurance directly to consumers... Right?

And there are no free ISPs. If you know of one, please tell us. In fact, the cost to access the internet has gone us 5 fold since the decline of AOL.

You come off as clueless.

I think others said it better than me, but what I'm arguing is that the industry is in a state of flux and crisis. Technology has clearly made the TV side of cable companies obsolete, much as Napster, the iTunes, then Spotify made paying $25 for a CD obsolete. Did music die? No. The model changed. When an entity becomes too big to sustain itself, a new platform will emerge to fill the void. What will that platform be? Sling? Vue? Direct-to-consumer? No one knows yet, but it WILL emerge. It will emerge and people will GLADLY pay a reasonable price for it. In the meantime, before it emerges, more people than just I have decided that the current rates are not reasonable, and have begun to abandon them. It's actually the most capitalist thing you can do, this is the market self correction they always talk about.

In the near future, you will see major networks (AMC, ESPN, FX, stuff like that) not renew contracts with cable and either form their own coalition, or go direct to consumer. Cable is going ala carte like we always wanted, just in a different way than we imagined.

I find it very funny that you singled me out when A. I pay for Vue when my sports are in season, and B. even if I share my brother's ESPN password, there's at least a real account that's paying for the service (which I contribute to). I may be invoking the "everybody's doing it argument" here, but a lot of people are doing it. That's why we're seeing the market correction. That companies aim should be to give me a solution that I will gladly pay for, not to jack rates. This is how cable failed.

Besides. the money isn't going anywhere, it's just going to different places. Cable companies still vastly dominate the ISP market. You think they haven't figured out that people will need more Mbps as streaming becomes more ubiquitous? They'll get their money, just with a different arm, unless google fiber decides to destroy them.

So basically: chill out. You aren't the moral police any more than you are the real police. When everything shakes out, I bet the vast majority of us are paying for some service, whatever that service ends up being.
So I guess in your mind when everyone was stealing music before platforms like pandora and spotify, it was all good as a necessary evil to get to those platforms...? What a foolish ass argument.

Whatever you do for money, I hope someone comes in and figures out how to rip off your service for free and see how sympathetic you are when it puts you in the bread line. Until then, keep being a class A fool.

Only problem is, it isn't that simple. https://www.scribd.com/document/172985274/LSE-MPP-Policy-Brief-9-Copyright-and-Creation Piracy has not been found to reduce revenue of creative companies. Consumers who regularly pirate tend to spend more on legal content than those who only purchase legal content.

I think it's very easy to think "U R STEALING" and imagine anyone who's ever streamed something is dressed like the hamburglar in front of his TV, twirling his moustache and counting his bags of money saved from piracy. It isn't the case. People pirate for a lot of different reasons. Many people do it when they wouldn't have bought the product anyway, whether for curiosity or for financial reasons. That doesn't raise costs or skew the business model. Personally, back in the day I pirated a lot of video games. Why? Because reviews didn't tell me what I wanted to know, there were no rentals, and I was not willing to plunk down $60 to try a game out. So, I'd pirate and play for a bit. If I liked it, I'd almost always buy it. If I didn't, I'd toss it out. Illegal? Yes, though you tell me: what harm was done?

The idea of copyright and stealing is going to evolve a LOT in the next decade. Just wait until everyone has 3D printers, people start making exact replicas of say, high quality tools, and then sell them or give them away. Is this stealing? Is this piracy? What about when Ken Towery Auto is trying to charge you $300 for a part you know only cost them $10, and you can download and print for free. Is this the "middle man" we're obligated to pay? I don't believe so. What rang true as stealing 30 years ago to everyone may only ring true to 50% of people now. What rings true as stealing to 50% of people may be laughed at in the future. Keep in mind, multiple generations were convinced marijuana was evil; now you can buy it in pretty store front in two states. Definitions and perception change over time. Copyright is no exception, and we're seeing that happen now.

As I've said before, piracy is easy to stop: give the consumer a turn key solution for a fair price. It is literally that simple. Few are the people who are hell bent on pirating no matter what.
"I wouldn't have used it if I couldn't steal it..."

The arguments keep getting more ridiculous and unethical.

I hope media companies figure out a way to ream you with fines and put you in jail.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT