ADVERTISEMENT

Does Roku work for streaming UK games

i am canceling my Att Uverse service because they failed to show up as promised six straight times during their four hour window causing me 24 unproductive hours staying home for them. Each time they promised if I would I would just stay home for the next four hour period they would be there " lousy service .

My question is alternatives . I keep hear about people cutting the cord . How do you do it and can I get all UK games live if I go that route .

Any advice would be appreciated . That's the only way us small folks can deal with these big arrogant uncaring poorly run companies . If we all find a way to cut the cord we won't have to put up with their poor service .

I recently cut the cord so to say with Uverse and there's one thing you need to know. I called to cancel my TV service and just keep the internet. The customer rep told me if I only have internet with Uverse they have a data limit and you are charge for anything over. She set me up with the most basic TV package which has the local channels only. Also, if you want to try Sling they have a 7 day free trial and if you have T-Mobile you can get it for $14 a month for a year.

Reactions: UKvisitor
No. SlingTV is it's own app on Roku, not separate apps.

I think you misunderstood, Boston. Currently when I load the SlingTV app on my Roku, I am presented with options to watch ~20 channels real time, including ESPN and ESPN2. What I'm trying to ask......is that if I pay the 5 bucks to upgrade the sports package, will I suddenly see ~22 or more channels to choose from, or will I need to try and stream ESPN3 from my laptop or phone? Thanks for answering.

This is showing up on Amazon as a free app, you may want to try again.

Not through the Firestick as of 7/30/16. Verified by AFTVnews. I got it installed through a side loader app on my iPad. Now I have to figure out how to get access to live sports. I'm not worried about TV or movies, there are a million and one ways to do that, plus I watch maybe 2 hours of TV per week in the off season.

Not through the Firestick as of 7/30/16. Verified by AFTVnews. I got it installed through a side loader app on my iPad. Now I have to figure out how to get access to live sports. I'm not worried about TV or movies, there are a million and one ways to do that, plus I watch maybe 2 hours of TV per week in the off season.

interesting, I just put a second Amazon FireTV today but haven't set up apps, I'll check also tonight. If you get it set up, try Sports Devil

Edit:

I just saw this on a google search, you may want to check again:

Update (August 2, 2016): ES File Explorer unavailability was just a temporary glitch that the developer has fixed. Everything is back to the way it was :).

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/es-file-explorer-removed-from-fire-tv-app-store/

Last edited:
interesting, I just put a second Amazon FireTV today but haven't set up apps, I'll check also tonight. If you get it set up, try Sports Devil

Edit:

I just saw this on a google search, you may want to check again:

Update (August 2, 2016): ES File Explorer unavailability was just a temporary glitch that the developer has fixed. Everything is back to the way it was :).

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/es-file-explorer-removed-from-fire-tv-app-store/

Haha, a fine example of my luck. And I paid $2 for the sideloader app. Thanks for the update.

You could do all that.....

Or you could know anyone that has directv and trusts you....

I don't have anything but high speed internet, a laptop, and a 4G phone. My old man has directv so I just use his login for WatchESPN/NBCSN live extra/Fox Sports Go, etc and can even stream pretty much any channel through the Directv app proper.

I can then either watch on the laptop, my Samsung Note 5 when I am on the go, or I can even use Miracast to beam the video directly from either to my huge TV through the blue ray player.

It is amazing how far tech has come the past few years. Just a few short years ago I was searching the internet for pirated broadcasts of English premier league matches that were hit or miss and ran the risk of viruses........Now NBCSN has every single game live (You can't even watch them all in England due to saturday afternoon blackouts, supposed to keep people attending the lower league games in person) and I can just pull up the app, cast it to my TV, and watch free in HD.

Same applies for UK games, NFL Sunday ticket (dad has that too being 9er fans in AR), and everything else for that matter.

As far as TV shows go there isn't any need for even that.....Unless you are really anal about watching show live.....Which given that we follow over dozen serial dramas isn't really an issue.....Big shout out to the good folks at Extra Torrent and Thepiratebay. BTW not a single one of our shows comes from ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX (unless you count FX). The networks are shite.

HBO/AMC/FX/Showtime and now even Netflix/Hulu are putting out all the quality in the US. The UK networks put out some amazing content as well, though they have a thing for really short seasons (like 6 episodes) Peaky Blinders is among the best there is for example.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clive Gollings
Lots of good info in this thread. but it reads like a "Terms of service" notice.

A roku 3, decent internet connection, Sling tv with sports package and you will be streaming all UK at a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clive Gollings
BTW not a single one of our shows comes from ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX (unless you count FX). The networks are shite.

HBO/AMC/FX/Showtime and now even Netflix/Hulu are putting out all the quality in the US. The UK networks put out some amazing content as well, though they have a thing for really short seasons (like 6 episodes) Peaky Blinders is among the best there is for example.

This. Man, I never even bothered hooking back up my antenna; network stuff is just the most basic, pandering, low-intelligence garbage. I'll probably only hook it back up for football season.

This. Man, I never even bothered hooking back up my antenna; network stuff is just the most basic, pandering, low-intelligence garbage. I'll probably only hook it back up for football season.

True, true....every time I channel surf the antenna based channels, I'm sure to see THIS GUY.

SteveHarvey-ftr.jpg

Reactions: StubbornPenny
Mark me down as a cord cutter 11 years ago. Torrents was first, then came streaming with adblock. Then came Kodi.
Someone said they didn't want to be portraited as a poor. I'll be the first to tell you that everyone that came over thought i was next level. Never poor even though I spent very little. (35$ 100M dl 1TBmo data cap)

Thanks to all for the great info.

Here is what I am doing . My current bill was $ 266 per mo for Internet 6mb,
TV which got about everything for 4 TV s and landline.

I am changing the Internet to Time Warner 300 mb, and landline which includes all long distance including 34 countries . That cost $92 per month including taxes.

Then I am going with direct Tv for tv only for $ 75 a month for first three months then $ 103 per month to keep HBO and Showtime.

Also I am having Roku installed .

So when Direct goes out I'll still be able to do Netflix , and other things .

And I will be paying $195 a month now instead of $266 and will receive three months movie channels for free and got a two hundred dollar debit card for some reason.long term Savings about seventy a month with much better Internet and landline . Also can now record five things at once instead of three .
If I pay ten dollars more a month I can make the direct TV commitment be for one year instead of two. Time Warner Internet has no limit. Can cancel TW at any time. All figures above include all taxes.

I'll get used to Roku and the May do the sling thing and buy my channels a la cart as some have suggested . Just don't feel comfortable enough doing it now .

In any event you guys have been very helpful to me in sorting out my options and I hope others have been helped.
Thanks again to all .

Lou

My brother-in-law bought a smart Blu-Ray DVD player and antenna this week for $80, hard wired it to the modem via Ethernet, signed up for Netflix and cancelled TWC TV. I have no idea how many apps are available. Why is this wrong?

My brother-in-law bought a smart Blu-Ray DVD player and antenna this week for $80, hard wired it to the modem via Ethernet, signed up for Netflix and cancelled TWC TV. I have no idea how many apps are available. Why is this wrong?

Wrong? Sounds okay to me, however, roku/Apple TV/fire stick/chrome cast probably have more apps available.

Wrong? Sounds okay to me, however, roku/Apple TV/fire stick/chrome cast probably have more apps available.
Yeah I can buy that. It's a Samsung player and this guy is much more a movie guy than a sports guy. Ethernet would have to be an advantage also I'd think.

I also cut the cord recently. I have Uverse 6mbs and I am able to stream Vue just fine. I have not tried Sling yet (and I just did the trial for Vue).

I have a small outdoor antenna which picks up all the locals. I bought a wifi DVR called Tablo and a 2TB usb drive to plug into it. The Tablo doesn't plug into a TV. There is a Roku app where I can watch live TV or recordings. There is also an Android app I can use to cast. Pretty cool device so far.

I cut the cord the day after the UK/Wisconsin game and wish I had done it much sooner.

For UK games, Chromecast + SlingTV and you're good.

For programming we have Netflix and Hulu. Occasionally we spring for the HBO Now or Starz apps and binge Game of Thrones and Power for a month, then cancel.

We've saved a butt load of money going this route and actually find that we watch TV more than before....especially Netflix. It's crazy how many awesome original shows they have. If you were born in the 80s and haven't watched Stranger Things, you're wasting your life.

I'm just going to put this out there again.

Kodi. It has live tv, and is great for tv shows and movies.

Do you have one of the android tv boxes or just kodi on your PC? In the past 48 hours I really started to get interested in Kodi and the android boxes, and I'm thinking of at least putting kodi on my pc tonight and playing with it. Do you have apps in kodi that you recommend for live tv, movies, and live sports?

Do you have one of the android tv boxes or just kodi on your PC? In the past 48 hours I really started to get interested in Kodi and the android boxes, and I'm thinking of at least putting kodi on my pc tonight and playing with it. Do you have apps in kodi that you recommend for live tv, movies, and live sports?
Please get back to us and let us know how well kodi works for you. Thanks

All I have probably watched the last five years on television is news and sports. Music television (MTV) doesn't play music, the History Channel doesn't show history anymore, The Learning Channel (TLC) doesn't show anything worth learning and the National Geographic channel doesn't show anything but truckers driving on icy roads, state troopers in Alaska, or crab fishing. Who the hell wants to watch a truck drive down an icy road 100 times??? The Bachelorette, Survivor, Vampire Diaries????? I am beginning to feel like the dude on the movie Idiocracy that can't believe his average intelligence actually makes him a genius compared to the masses of idiots watching this crap. And now we have a professional liar and an unprofessional mouth to choose between for President. Thank goodness for UK basketball as an escape from the madness!!!!

Reactions: jameslee32
It's on a PC. I have a remote for the pc and a dedicated 5 year old pc that is just hooked up to my tv. It makes it easy for my wife and kids to be able to just pick up the remote and turn the tv on. I will suggest building libraries for tv shows. It makes it really easy for everyone to follow their favorite shows. In my bedrooms, I have labtops hooked up. A local school was getting all new labtops so they had a bunch for sale. They're older but for 20 a piece and all they do is run kodi on the tv's. It doesn't take much of a pc to run kodi.

Joenobody on youtube has some great videos for setting up kodi. most of his are builds meaning that all the channels and everything is set up automatically. dnatvpro is great for live TV. It has a really nice tv guide that you can use.

I only watch live tv when it's sports or news in the morning. All the other times I just go to my libraries and watch what ever show. I set up my libraries with the Specto channel.

Here's a site (first link) that has some videos of step by step guides to you set up your libraries. It's worth the few minutes it takes to do it because once it's done, you don't have to worry about it again.

http://spoonfedproduction.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/JoeNobody010101

Last edited:
I'm just going to put this out there again.

Kodi. It has live tv, and is great for tv shows and movies.

I used to laugh at cord cutters, but I'm coming around. The Kodi deal really interest me. Can you get HBO and the other movie channels on KODI? There are a lot of great shows coming and most are not on network channels. I can pay for HBO on my cable but it's 90% movies ten years old. No way I'm paying for that.

One more question. Okay, my TV has about four inputs. Would it be possible to connect KODI to one input and leave my cable on another input until I get comfortable using KODI?

I used to laugh at cord cutters, but I'm coming around. The Kodi deal really interest me. Can you get HBO and the other movie channels on KODI? There are a lot of great shows coming and most are not on network channels. I can pay for HBO on my cable but it's 90% movies ten years old. No way I'm paying for that.

One more question. Okay, my TV has about four inputs. Would it be possible to connect KODI to one input and leave my cable on another input until I get comfortable using KODI?
You don't actually go to HBO or channels for tv shows. You search what tv show you like to watch and just click on the name. IE....

And yes to your second question. Here's some screen shots to help answer your first question.

kodione.png

koditwo.png

kodithree.png

kodifour.png

I recently uninstalled dnatv guide, I'm trying something different. but this is a pic of it. Live TV is of course like regular tv. But the shows in the first and second pic are all HD and commercial free.

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: MSU129
Cheapest option ever:
Buy a chromecast (~$30 or less). This plugs up directly to the HDMI on your TV.
Download the watch ESPN app on your phone, iPad, tablet, whatever.
Find a friend, parent, or whatever who has ESPN through a traditional source.
Use their login info on the app(there is NO limit on concurrent streams - one account could stream for 10, 29, 50 people).
Cast ESPN from your phone to TV.

Other option: sling or playstation vue, works on a ton of different devices.
Theft

Thanks for the info Clive. Those screen shots cleared up a lot of questions. After some research, I may have to upgrade my internet speed. Says you need at least 10mbps, mine only shows 6.8mbps on a speed test. My plan says I should have 15mbps. I may try hard wiring and see what happens or get a new router, mines pretty old.

The integrity part of it is s very interesting question . Before computers we needed either cable or satellite to watch tv. Now because of computers we don't unless the cable tv and satellite corporations force us to use them by striking deals with the providers keeping them from selling directly to the consumer .

. The only party benefiting from that arrangement bring the cable providers and satellite cos holding the consumer hostage so the consumer has to use them as an unnecessary middlemen .

To steal content from huge real providers such ESPN ,Disney ,HBO is wrong . No question about it. But to find a way to keep an unnecessary middleman fromraping the consumer may not be ethically wrong.

Bottom line is just like the stagecoach being put out of business by trains , cars etc so should be the cable companies and satellite by the Internet. It's a better more efficient way. They are just leaches and should not stand in the way of s more efficient America . Imagine every family having an extra thousand or so to spend on other things . What a economic boom it would create .

Bottom line is the cable companies should not be able to use their economic power to make Americans buy a service they don't need just because their lobbyist can buy legislators .

Again we should pay a fair amount for content but not the unnecessary leaches.

Reactions: meow_cat
i am canceling my Att Uverse service because they failed to show up as promised six straight times during their four hour window causing me 24 unproductive hours staying home for them. Each time they promised if I would I would just stay home for the next four hour period they would be there " lousy service .

My question is alternatives . I keep hear about people cutting the cord . How do you do it and can I get all UK games live if I go that route .

Any advice would be appreciated . That's the only way us small folks can deal with these big arrogant uncaring poorly run companies . If we all find a way to cut the cord we won't have to put up with their poor service .
My son gets them here in Lou

Thanks, Eliot Ness. If ESPN wanted to secure their logins to 1 or 2 devices, they could. They don't, i.e. they don't care about giving it away. Maybe because they can charge more on ad rates, I don't know, but it'd take two seconds to lock it down and they have no interest, so you can hop off your lil' soap box now.

Bottom line: laws have not caught up with the way people use digital media in this day and age. When the companies themselves don't care, and congress is making laws against it, there's a disconnect. Is it by the technical letter of the law illegal? Yes. So are a lot of really stupid things. In the coming years, we'll see laws be modified when it becomes apparent that people use these technologies in a certain way.

Last edited:
Reactions: meow_cat
Thanks, Eliot Ness. If ESPN wanted to secure their logins to 1 or 2 devices, they could. They don't, i.e. they don't care about giving it away. Maybe because they can charge more on ad rates, I don't know, but it'd take two seconds to lock it down and they have no interest, so you can hop off your lil' soap box now.

Bottom line: laws have not caught up with the way people use digital media in this day and age. When the companies themselves don't care, and congress is making laws against it, there's a disconnect. Is it by the technical letter of the law illegal? Yes. So are a lot of really stupid things. In the coming years, we'll see laws be modified when it becomes apparent that people use these technologies in a certain way.
Sling limits how many devices you can use at once. As does Netflix. Not sure about 3rd party (first party?) providers like the Watch ESPN app and HBO GO, but I'm pretty sure if I am watching Watch ESPN thru my Sling login, it restricts use of Sling on any other device. So you might just be wrong. There is no Watch ESPN login. You are using a login provided by your cable company. There might be language in the TOS indicating that the practice of sharing login info is restricted.

If you think ESPN created the platform of Watch ESPN and restricted access to it only to turn around and not care that people were accessing it for free, than you may be dumber than a brick.

Sling limits how many devices you can use at once. As does Netflix. Not sure about 3rd party (first party?) providers like the Watch ESPN app and HBO GO, but I'm pretty sure if I am watching Watch ESPN thru my Sling login, it restricts use of Sling on any other device. So you might just be wrong. There is no Watch ESPN login. You are using a login provided by your cable company. There might be language in the TOS indicating that the practice of sharing login info is restricted.

If you think ESPN created the platform of Watch ESPN and restricted access to it only to turn around and not care that people were accessing it for free, than you may be dumber than a brick.

Yes, each company chooses to restrict their streaming devices as they see fit. ESPN chooses not to do so with their app (which is tied to a dish service). You can literally stream to a million different devices if you see fit. I personally use my brother's. We don't live in the same household, but I kick him back some money (It was very simialr to this when I lived with him, btw) Illegal by the TOS? I'd say so. Who actually cares though? Not ESPN it seems, or they'd restrict the access. Have you honestly never ever fudged the law on any purchase in your entire life? Are you the guy who's too afraid to pull off the tag on your mattress that says "do not remove under penalty of law?"

Bottom line, these technologies are being used in a way that the law hasn't caught up with yet. A couple that doesn't live together pares it down to one netflix account. Where are you to scream, "THAT'S STEALING!!" Hell at least I share with a family member. Someone plus their coax into their TV and watches the channels, where are you to scream "THIS IS CRIMINAL!!!!" You watch an old TV show on youtube, do you turn it off in disgust thinking "THEY DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO DISTRIBUTE THIS INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY!!!" The way people use these technologies has fundamentally changed. These situations are starting to be built into the business model, and have become a reason why these business models change. What was so damn popular in the early 2000s? Pirating music. Then along came iTunes, and then Spotify/et al, and now pirating music is a blip on a radar. What was huge in the late 2000s? Pirating movies. It was estimated that 1/4 of all internet traffic was torrented movies. A few years later Netflix hits, and 1/4 of internet traffic was Netflix. We've already seen the cable model begin to shift as it must adapt to technology around it. Screaming "DAT IWLEGAL" at something doesn't solve the overall issue that people are doing it, will continue to do it, and the companies can make a choice to fight it, or adapt. I believe ESPNs strategy of not restricting devices is their way of saying "we can't win, so let's get as many eyeballs on the ads as we possibly can." I can't think of any other explanation.

It's a moot point, because once football season is back I'm reactivating my Playstation Vue account. I don't watch ESPN in the summer. So let your sweet little weary head rest, I will be legally paying for access.

Sidenote: My old Roku just had the WatchESPN work by itself. I never logged in, I never added any information, it just worked. What's your expert legal opinion on that? How is it much different from using my brother's login with his consent?

Second sidenote: why in the world did you single out my post, when there's like 30 posts about Kodi, which is a million times more illegal/stealy than my solution? Hell at least in my model there's a real account with a real cable company being paid real dollars. Kodi is just an ad hoc network of streaming pirates.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT