ADVERTISEMENT

Does Roku work for streaming UK games

loucatfan

Junior
Jul 6, 2005
i am canceling my Att Uverse service because they failed to show up as promised six straight times during their four hour window causing me 24 unproductive hours staying home for them. Each time they promised if I would I would just stay home for the next four hour period they would be there " lousy service .

My question is alternatives . I keep hear about people cutting the cord . How do you do it and can I get all UK games live if I go that route .

Any advice would be appreciated . That's the only way us small folks can deal with these big arrogant uncaring poorly run companies . If we all find a way to cut the cord we won't have to put up with their poor service .

Roku with sling tv sports package and HD antenna. It will cost you 30 bucks per antenna and 25 buck a month for sling. Youre welcome.

Reactions: UKvisitor
Xbox one. Ps4 doesn't do it so Xbox one. Roku is app capable. Apple TV. If you have xbox one, roku or Apple TV. You can download the SlingTV App. They offer many packages some that include stars, HBO, and showtime. They have a sports package which gives you ESPN3 and SEC Network and with those things you'll never miss a college division 1, 2, 3 football, basketball, baseball game ever if you don't want to. You'll never miss an NAIA game if you don't want to. You'll be able to watch cricket, badminton. Whatever your heart desires is on ESPN3 and as a UK fan SEC Network. The basic package on its own is 20 dollars and you get ESPN and ESPN 2 which will cause you to miss a ton of games. For 5 extra dollars and a total of 25 dollars you can get the sports package which comes with ESPNU, Longhorn Network, SEC Network, and ESPN3.

You can cancel at anytime you want like say during the middle of baseball season when all there is is baseball. There's no contract so you can cancel and re subscribe whenever you like. I cancelled because it's not football season yet and since I've been gone for like 3 months they sent me an Email offering me a free Roku 2 (60 dollar value), or a Roku 3 with Voice control for half off (100 dollar item for 50 dollars) thinking about doing it just because I love free stuff but I have appletv and Xbox one so I don't see the point is doing it before football season. Anyways the answer to your solution is an APP called SlingTV. Hope i was able to assist you

Roku with sling tv sports package and HD antenna. It will cost you 30 bucks per antenna and 25 buck a month for sling. Youre welcome.
Ok is an HD antenna like an HDMI cable or is it something separate that makes the quality of the SlingTV better? Sorry I'm kind of electronic illiterate. And damn you for beating me to the solution of his question. Had I not wrote a book about it! Lol.

HD Antenna plugs in to HDMI but has an antenna on the other side. That is how you will get the local channels. The other channels will all steam through sling TV in HD.

I've been considering this move. The one thing holding me back has been internet connection.

How does Sling, etc work with rural internet connection? Like the best option I can get is about 6mbps. Will it be the same as trying to stream the game through my laptop or does the app/roku improve the streaming?

Cheapest option ever:
Buy a chromecast (~$30 or less). This plugs up directly to the HDMI on your TV.
Download the watch ESPN app on your phone, iPad, tablet, whatever.
Find a friend, parent, or whatever who has ESPN through a traditional source.
Use their login info on the app(there is NO limit on concurrent streams - one account could stream for 10, 29, 50 people).
Cast ESPN from your phone to TV.

Other option: sling or playstation vue, works on a ton of different devices.

I've been considering this move. The one thing holding me back has been internet connection.

How does Sling, etc work with rural internet connection? Like the best option I can get is about 6mbps. Will it be the same as trying to stream the game through my laptop or does the app/roku improve the streaming?
6mbps would be a pretty bare minimum for streaming HD. You may encounter connection issues. I used to have 10, and it worked 90% of the time. Now I've got 50 with no issues ever.

A Roku (or Apple TV or chromecast) will most assuredly look better than your laptop, but this is due to things not related to you streaming connection.

PROTIP: there is no such thing as an "HD antenna." Yes Virginia, your old rabbit ears will work just fine. The difference is HD decoder in the TV. Plugging a good antenna into your coax will work just fine to get Over the air HD channels.

WHY: the frequencies blasting out of the towers have not changed, and therefore the old antennas can pick up those frequencies. Only
Now they carry a digital signal instead of an analog one.

Stuff like Netflix will work fine because they have done a really good job at optimizing their content delivery system. Randomly live streaming games from the internet is going to be pretty hit and miss. As one who has a slow internet connection, the WatchESPN app is pretty shitty.

Stuff like Netflix will work fine because they have done a really good job at optimizing their content delivery system. Randomly live streaming games from the internet is going to be pretty hit and miss. As one who has a slow internet connection, the WatchESPN app is pretty shitty.

I work in streaming video, and yeah, when you have eons to tweak your codecs and compression, Netflix has a great advantage. When you're streaming content that needs to be as live as possible, it's a whole different ball game.

That's what I'm afraid of. There's a huge difference in essentially buffering and then watching a fixed event in their database and trying to stream live, so even though my connection works for Netflix, Hulu, etc., I'm skeptical about cutting the cord and being left with 2 frames per second in 120p.

Everything I've read about PS Vue makes it sound like a fantastic option when it's fully ready, but I'll never be able to use it unless the Internet service here upgrades. You can pay for 25mbps and get 7.5 or pay for 8 and get 6.

Cheapest option ever:
Buy a chromecast (~$30 or less). This plugs up directly to the HDMI on your TV.
Download the watch ESPN app on your phone, iPad, tablet, whatever.
Find a friend, parent, or whatever who has ESPN through a traditional source.
Use their login info on the app(there is NO limit on concurrent streams - one account could stream for 10, 29, 50 people).
Cast ESPN from your phone to TV.

Other option: sling or playstation vue, works on a ton of different devices.
This is currently what I'm doing til football season but once football season hits I need sling cuz my watchespn app has ESPN 3 but doesn't have the sec network which is necessary.

The watch ESPN app is perfect but I have good internet but when I'm in public my iPhone 6 plus stream the APP in HD quality without wifi. It's a great app.

Well lets see Directv Dish and cable will have every game plus you don't have to look poor having to stream your Wildcats!!!
Nothing poor about SlingTV you just get all the same stuff but for way less. It's called being smart. When people are addicting to not spending money and saving it like myself, the cheapest of the cheap. They do stuff like this. It's EQUALLY as good, plus it's way cheaper and no contracts/no commitments so you don't have to keep it during baseball season. There's a reason a lot of people are cord cutting. SlingTV is just as good but just a million times cheaper. What's so bad about that? I'm quite content with my 60 inch LG SmarTV that I use SlingTV on. Nothing poor about it.

I text about kodi on here a month or so ago on this same topic. Kodi is a sideloaded app that runs on android products. Go buy an amazon firestick for 40$,watch YouTube video on how to install kodi . There is never another fee.you must have 5gb Internet to run.
I've had it for a year now and I've never missed cable once

Anything that could ever be on a movie or TV screen is on it. Movies at theatre, all sports from rugby to basketball, all ppv

IS CBS on sling tv? Just looked at sling tv line up and did not see that listed.
I also have CBS. You can have sling TV and antenna and you get CBS in HD. Wouldn't be able to live without it. no sling doesn't have local channels. But antennas are too cheap and its HD quality gotta be able to watch my bengals. Antenna, plus Sling, plus Netflix, plus Xbox one. Equals all the entertainment one would need.

Reactions: sefleming
I text about kodi on here a month or so ago on this same topic. Kodi is a sideloaded app that runs on android products. Go buy an amazon firestick for 40$,watch YouTube video on how to install kodi . There is never another fee.you must have 5gb Internet to run.
I've had it for a year now and I've never missed cable once

Anything that could ever be on a movie or TV screen is on it. Movies at theatre, all sports from rugby to basketball, all ppv
Not all sports are live streamed on kodi. Actually many many games are not on kodi unless it's an ESPN or ESPN 2 game. That's it.

Mu
This is currently what I'm doing til football season but once football season hits I need sling cuz my watchespn app has ESPN 3 but doesn't have the sec network which is necessary.

My brothers account has SEC network, but of course, he pays for that. I kick him back $5-10 every once in a while.

Not all sports are live streamed on kodi. Actually many many games are not on kodi unless it's an ESPN or ESPN 2 game. That's it.
This is completely false. I'm not sure who set your build up,but they did something wrong.
Their are literally thousands of places showing sports. Every single game that's on period. I never watch ESPN because of unc,duke bias.
The add on called castaway is 2nd to none. Sports heaven.

we got our ROKU last year because one of our games wasn't televised.
Love this thing

Having recently cut the cord, I can tell you my experiences.

ANTENNA: First off, you can purchase the antenna that others have mentioned, but you probably only need 1. I purchased one for each TV and eventually took the others back because I found that you can split the signal before the TV and send the other line into your coax network, allowing you to pull the signal out at any TV.

ROKU: works great, nice interface, easy to use. Very similar to APPLE TV and AMAZON stick.

INTERNET: here's where you'll want to invest a little of that saved cash. I was getting ATT UVERSE (64 bucks) at 15MBS and my sling TV streaming was horrible. I changed to Time Warner Cable service with "up to" 100MBS (actually it's more like 50) for 44 bucks. Service is great and the Sling TV streaming is seamless.

I have the basic (20 dollar) SlingTV package with ESPN, ESPN2, HGTV, History, Etc etc) and will upgrade at football season.

In total, I'm paying ~65 bucks for internet and Sling, plus the initial investment of the Leaf Antenna (80 bucks, one time cost). Since I was paying close to 200 bucks a month for everything, this is a big win for me.

Hope this helps. DOWN WITH BIG CABLE!

Reactions: -LEK-
So here's what I haven't researched yet......if you upgrade the SlingTv package, do the ESPN3 and SEC Network icons just show up on the roku menu like any other channel? That'd be convenient.

Sling TV, over the air antenna, and an internet connections.has been discussed here. Does anyone need a link to the threads or just the "search threads" feature of this site?

Right now, Sling TV and $5 extra sports package is the Best deal to all the UK games streaming to you. Streaming devices with separate router hook ups, is better. Plugin USB devices are not as good as a separate streaming device. (ya need a router for that). Sling tv on a PC software just eats up resources to run on my pc.

IDK anything about smart phones. I just do laptops and pc. My nephew says he streams on his smartphone. Can't confirm cause I never seen it.

Last edited:
Chord cutters dream. The future of television

So I went to try and load Kodi on my Firestick and one of the first steps is to download an app called ES File Explorer. Appearantly you can no longer get ES file explorer as of just a few days ago. How would you go about downloading apps from third party developers on the Firestick with out the ES app?

So I went to try and load Kodi on my Firestick and one of the first steps is to download an app called ES File Explorer. Appearantly you can no longer get ES file explorer as of just a few days ago. How would you go about downloading apps from third party developers on the Firestick with out the ES app?

This is showing up on Amazon as a free app, you may want to try again.

I bought an Insignia TV with ROKU built in and subscribed to Sling TV. This is much better than adding the box. And the TV has USD and HDMI connectors to add things like DVD players and gaming devices.

Sling is subscription and lets you get ESPN channels.

With enough searching you can find most events you want. For example, YOUTUBE can be watched over ROKU and has a great catalogue of sporting events as well as complete concerts.

Get an Apple TV instead of a Roku. I have one of each and the Apple TV is sooooo much better. Both have Sling TV.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT