ADVERTISEMENT

Diallo Entering Draft... Not hiring agent

He is an elite prospect. They had solid scouting reports on him, enough to let him know he needed to improve his jump shot and overall team play. Do you really think they aren't totally aware of an elite player who may be available for the draft? By all accounts we have, he has greatly improved. If that is so, he is gone. Ask Cal, he's the one talking about how much he's improved.

You expect Cal to be critical of a player to NBA teams? You don't think he's going to tell teams how great a player is and how much they have improved and blah blah blah? When you put a reference down for a job application, you think your reference is going to be critical or just say nice things?

You expect Cal to be critical of a player to NBA teams? You don't think he's going to tell teams how great a player is and how much they have improved and blah blah blah? When you put a reference down for a job application, you think your reference is going to be critical or just say nice things?
They'll see soon enough, so if Cal wants to look credible, yes I expect he would be honest.

He is an elite prospect. They had solid scouting reports on him, enough to let him know he needed to improve his jump shot and overall team play. Do you really think they aren't totally aware of an elite player who may be available for the draft? By all accounts we have, he has greatly improved. If that is so, he is gone. Ask Cal, he's the one talking about how much he's improved.

OMG, high school competition doesn't tell them what they need to know. Why do I bother?

Reactions: GonzoCat90
I don't know why but the more I read the more it feels like he won't be back. He's oober-talented. NBA execs call Cal and he'll rave about him. Part of thinks Cal loves this "I got a kid drafted without him ever suiting up for me".

So did Diallo not want to play as part of the "plan" to improve for next season? Or did he not want to play so he wouldn't get hurt before the draft? Hmmmm

Reactions: redbudman
If Diallo ends up hiring an agent, then this better be the only damn time shit like that happens at UK. I can tolerate the whole one and done thing..and with ease..but if you go to UK and then straight to the pros without ever playing a minute at UK, then that's a joke..unless it's a Kanter situation. And it's a slap to UK's and UK fans' faces. You can't come here spouting off a bunch of bullshit "We care" quotes and then come in here and not play one minute and then go straight to the NBA Draft after SUPPOSEDLY not even being ready to play college ball.

Last edited:
I don't know why but the more I read the more it feels like he won't be back. He's oober-talented. NBA execs call Cal and he'll rave about him. Part of thinks Cal loves this "I got a kid drafted without him ever suiting up for me".

So did Diallo not want to play as part of the "plan" to improve for next season? Or did he not want to play so he wouldn't get hurt before the draft? Hmmmm

Why would that be something to be proud of? You think he actually wants that to ever happen again?

Why would that be something to be proud of? You think he actually wants that to ever happen again?

I think he would try to spin it as a recruiting positive. We all know it's players first. He's lived by that. Now he has shown it with getting a kid drafted that never logged a minute for UK (Kanter not withstanding). More proof to his players first mantra.

Diallo's contribution to UK is helping prepare our players last season through practice, but that's it.

It's been mentioned before, and while many can spin this and justify it (diallo declaring), something about it feels odd. It feels wrong.

Where do we draw the line of doing enough in the best interest of the kids and doing enough for the program?

Many on here did NOT think that he would. They bashed and tried to silence any of us who said that he would...they know who they are.

You are right, many didnt think he would leave. Most thought he would test the waters though. And he hasnt left yet...

If he goes you and @BigBlueFanGA were correct.

All we had to go by was the kid saying he was staying and his HS coach remarking he wasnt ready for college just yet.

He was not on any mock drafts this year and was listed in the teens for next year.

So no real evidence for anyone to say he is gone as soon as he signed with us, but possibly a good guess by you guys.

If he gets a 1st round guarantee then it is what it is, if not and he still goes that is BS.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
You are right, many didnt think he would leave. Most thought he would test the waters though. And he hasnt left yet...

All we had to go by was the kid saying he was staying and his HS coach remarking he wasnt ready for college just yet.

He was not on any mock drafts this year and was listed in the teens for next year.

So no real evidence for anyone to say he is gone as soon as he signed with us, but possibly a good guess by you guys.

If he gets a 1st round guarantee then it is what it is, if not and he still goes that is BS.

Look, who knows what the kid will do but the 2017 draft was always an option for Diallo and anyone simply stating that fact caught unnecessary heat around here which was bizzarre to me since Diallo said as much. He said him Cal would talk about it at seasons end, and he said this at his press conference that we all watched nonetheless. If the 2017 draft wasnt on the table, he could've just said "no." That was all I needed to hear to know he would declare, but there were other signs.

Next would be, why wasn't he playing?! He's an elite talent, healthy, and on scholarship. Well they said he didnt want to, he wasn't ready, he wasn't up to speed, etc. That was PR damage control imo because obviously Cal, the AD, etc knew they were possibly gonna catch some heat for this. Not necessarily because it's wrong, but it definitely can be taken that way...point in case is this board. Could he really not be ready? Could he really be any more lost on the court than WG was? Could he look anywhere as bad as Briscoe did at times? Was he not able to take Mulders minutes? At the very least, was he not capable of spot minutes to provide a spark off the bench?

My personal opinion is he was MORE than ready within a few days of being on campus. We play strictly man D (which is basically learned in the 2nd grade) and most of the offense and its wrinkles aren't even put in play by Cal til conference play anyway. So a kid who is a top talent, played high level ball his whole life, amazing athlete, healthy, and on scholarship couldn't contribute? Not buying it one bit and don't care what anyone says.

Diallo decision to not play had nothing to do with helping the team and everything to do with Diallo and this upcoming draft which, imo, yeah kinda looks bad which was the need for the "hes not ready" to play this year damage control.

If the plan was 2018 draft and to be a UK next year then how he looked on the court this semester would be irrelevant anyway. The plan was always the 2017 draft, with playing for UK and a 2018 draft as the backup plan.

I still think theres a possibility he plays here.

Sorry for the novel...was bored at work.

Reactions: 3rex and brianpoe
I didn't think he would. Why bother coming to Lexington if you weren't planning to play for UK? He could have made money somewhere for a year.

Good lord you're terrible.
Much improved? Funny I was under the impression that he meant his understanding of the system and where to be defensively that has nothing to do with the perceive weaknesses in the NBA and the early info is in. He isn't projected first round in this draft not even close. He is projected 22 in the weak 18 draft he will have to improve his shot just to move up to lottery in the 18 draft. If your 22 in the weak 18 draft ur not sniffing the first round in the super loaded 17 draft. Trier from Arizona a super player turned their season around when he was able to play finished the semester a star in college basketball was projected 47 in the draft before he decided to come back. So I'm pretty confident Diallo will be back

Last edited:

I won’t be asking Cal anything if I’m a scout or NBA GM. Cal is the king of promoting his players. If it were up to him, he’d have a GM taking Fox #1, Monk #2, Briscoe #3, Humphries #4, and Diallo at #5. Of course he’s going to hype of Diallo on twitter. That’s his job and part of the reason these kids chose Kentucky in the first place.

I’m not sure how you could take Cal’s tweet about Diallo as any sort of real justification of support for Cal wanting him to stay in the draft or honestly feeling Hami is truly worthy of a guaranteed slot.

Cal wants him back, but he’ll support his jump if he needs to.

Reactions: Pluto is a Planet
I think you're trying to convince yourself the inevitable isn't going to happen. Don't worry, if I'm wrong I'll be here calling myself out.

And yet, you’re saying that “by all indications” Hami has improved significantly in four months?

What are those indications? Practice reports from players saying his jumper is better? Cal’s tweet from two days ago?

That’s hardly real evidence of anything substantial. I’ll wait until a real NBA GM gives him positive feedback in two weeks.

Reactions: Pluto is a Planet
Not so much about him testing the waters, for me. It was his statement that all but closed the door on a return that left me disappointed. This is speaking as a fan only. Wish him the best and no hard feelings. Just sucks.

His statement merely said this was his plan all along. He doesn't know what the next few weeks hold but appreciates everyone's support and making him a part of the BBN from day 1. How in the heck do get that as a closed door on returning?

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
Diallo is projected 58 right now. Cal did not say in what context Diallo has improved. I believe he meant within the team. Knowing where to be on offense and defense. If Diallo felt confident in his game he would have played when Cal offered. These guys are athletes and competitors it is not easy for them to sit. If his shot has improved to the point we need to worry about him coming back then he would have played. I read his Twitter after so many people claimed his Twitter didn't sound good about coming back. The way it read to me is this is the plan that he and Cal discussed. Him Thanking big blue nation didn't come across as good bye but as a thank you for making this whole process possible including if that means he is back. He would have to play out of his mind at the combine to even sniff the first round. There are a few foreign players that still may cause some first round movement. Really good two guards and wings not going to make the first round. I have seen Thornwell mid second round. You honestly think Diallo will go ahead of him at this moment? Mitchell from UL second round. Even Kennard is second round in some mocks.

Do you guys realize just how few guys were actually drafted straight from HS back when there was no one and done rule? Do a little research. One sometimes 2 guys would go and actually go first round most the time those guys were versatile bigs. Plus even work outs and the combine cant simulate game pressure and things like playing thru an opponent focusing their defense on u and how you react when the game is on the line.

Just don't see an NBA team guaranteeing they will take him first. Green is one of his best friends and green refers to playing with him do you really think these guys don't text multiple times a day this is what was supposed to happen and so many guys are acting shocked

Nothing to add...just don't want to be left out.

I just don't understand all the outrage & speculation. Why bother with any of this until we know 100% who is going to be on the team for next year? Seems dumb.

Reactions: SilentsAreGolden
And yet, you’re saying that “by all indications” Hami has improved significantly in four months?

What are those indications? Practice reports from players saying his jumper is better? Cal’s tweet from two days ago?

That’s hardly real evidence of anything substantial. I’ll wait until a real NBA GM gives him positive feedback in two weeks.
Ok, that's clearly your right. I'm simply taking Diallos word and Cals word for it. That and Diallo following that statement by thanking the coaches and team for helping him chase his dream.

If Diallo ends up hiring an agent, then this better be the only damn time shit like that happens at UK. I can tolerate the whole one and done thing..and with ease..but if you go to UK and then straight to the pros without ever playing a minute at UK, then that's a joke..unless it's a Kanter situation. And it's a slap to UK's and UK fans' faces. You can't come here spouting off a bunch of bullshit "We care" quotes and then come in here and not play one minute and then go straight to the NBA Draft after SUPPOSEDLY not even being ready to play college ball.
Agree..

If you are upset about the Diallo situation you should read this article.

in my opinion, if a teenager deciding to play professional basketball causes you ANY emotional distress, you need to re-evaluate your life and get over yourself. Stop being so dramatic, and please NEVER send any kind on negative message to a kid of twitter, facebook etc.... That kind of behavior is embarrassing and makes UK fans look like complete idiots.

A kid lives in the projects of NYC, has a single mom who works multiple jobs, he wants to better their lives and change their environment, and there are college basketball fans who feel the kid owes them something. That to me is insane

https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/kentucky-basketball-hamidou-diallo-2017-nba-draft-john-calipari

I want to see Diallo play next year at UK as much as anyone, I promise. We would be stacked and have a great chance at a title. But if it doesnt work out that way, I get it. I still have good health, a wife, three wonderful boys.

Definition of insanity: trying to control something you have no control over, which is a tough lesson for a lot of us to process

Thats why the serenity prayer is so helpful for so many people

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

some of you guys should try applying this concept to the Diallo situation

Reactions: Aike
Ok, that's clearly your right. I'm simply taking Diallos word and Cals word for it. That and Diallo following that statement by thanking the coaches and team for helping him chase his dream.
I'm missing something he didn't say realize his dream. It's present tense. Which means it is still the same thing playing at UK next season. He said nothing that sounded like he was gone for sure or even leaning that way. He stated as was the plan which we all knew about multiple threads about it when we signed him. He then thanked us all for being there for him but did not say it in past tense and the wording clearly means the continuing support. So believing his word means nothing in regards to him coming back

Reactions: SilentsAreGolden

Several here (me included )thought it was a bad idea at the time.It opened up a can of worms that didn't have to be opened,as I recall he wasn't playing regularly with his high school team at the time,not because of talent or basketball issues but due to attitude and effort issues.Some wanted him to play right away,which would have upset team chemistry,also I don't buy the current spin that he helped the team develop as a practice player

If he ends up being a first round pick then good for him but does it nothing for UK other than enhance our image as a NBA developmental team(we don't need any help in that area,we are doing just fine there)If he doesn't go in the first round but leaves anyway it is more about a broken system than a kid and once again in the eyes of the media and the NCAA we are the bad guys(we don't need help there either)

If his entry into the NBA at this time turns out to be a mistake (for him) then we helped him make that mistake.

Did the fact that he was here change who/how we were recruiting? We were guard thin in this class with him expected to be here.Maybe he opts to return and to a degree all this is moot but in this case the risks outweighed the rewards from day one.

I don't know why some of you are upset. We always knew he would at the very least, test the waters. He will probably be back, imho.

He may not play a game for us. That is true. But he might. If we had not taken him, he definitely would not have played for us. So why not take the gamble to get a 5 star player?

I don't know of anybody that thinks any kid owes them anything, however when someone commits to this program I do expect them to play at least one year. If a kid wants to go pro as soon as he can without playing one minute there are other places he can do that. I hope he comes back but we don't know what he will end up doing. I'm not his keeper and after he is gone I don't think what anyone sez on this board matters to him either way. I want all of our former players to do well after they leave Kentucky, but draft picks and the NBA doesn't interest to me.

Thank you!

Reactions: StevieJFTW07

Oh, I don't think there is any doubt that it won't happen again. No way Cal would get burned like that again (if it happens). I think Cal would just say don't commit unless you have no intention of declaring. And that if you did go ahead and declare, it would be without my support and help.

Reactions: BlueDevilWildcat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT