ADVERTISEMENT

Diallo Entering Draft... Not hiring agent

Oh, I don't think there is any doubt that it won't happen again. No way Cal would get burned like that again (if it happens). I think Cal would just say don't commit unless you have no intention of declaring. And that if you did go ahead and declare, it would be without my support and help.

Do you really think that Coach Cal would be against it in the future ?

I don't blame Cal for taking him & taking a chance on the kid.

That said if there came a time during the season when Cal thought he could help the team, and the kid refused to play, or gave the impression that he was just using UK as a parking spot until the draft, then I believe he should've given a "either you play, or you hit the road" choice to the kid.

Reactions: BourbonBalz
Oh, I don't think there is any doubt that it won't happen again. No way Cal would get burned like that again (if it happens). I think Cal would just say don't commit unless you have no intention of declaring. And that if you did go ahead and declare, it would be without my support and help.

Do you really think Cal got burned?

Put me in the camp that believes that Cal not only knew all this was going to happen but is essentially guiding Diallo through it all.

I bet anything Cal sees this as a win win situation. If Diallo returns to school, Cal gets one of the best players in the country on the team. If Diallo goes pro this summer, then Cal gets another goodwill notch in the belt with helping families and kids reach their dreams.

That said if there came a time during the season when Cal thought he could help the team, and the kid refused to play, or gave the impression that he was just using UK as a parking spot until the draft, then I believe he should've given a "either you play, or you hit the road" choice to the kid.
I get what you are saying but I doubt Cal would have done that.Cal had an open scholarship and rolled the dice,the question is would he do it again in the future,my guess is that he would.

This unique situation presented itself and Calipari decided the risk vs. reward was worth taking. Given his players-first mantra and penchant for poking the NCAA, it was probably a relatively easy choice for him to make. The plan all along must have been that Diallo was going to test the NBA waters this year and let the chips fall where they may.

The risk for Calipari was an NBA team taking a chance on a kid with freakish athleticism and good potential in the first round this year. At the time this arrangement was made, Diallo going in the first round this year was a long shot. Now, however, while still a long shot it is slightly a more real possibility, which Calipari also knew would happen as the '17 draft drew near. If Diallo stays in the draft this year it's win for Diallo and a lose-lose for Calipari and UK.

The reward for Calipari is the kid gets good advice from the NBA on what needs he needs to work on and he suits up for UK next year. A win-win for Calipari and for UK and a loss for Diallo (let's not kid ourselves, these kids only go to college because they have to).

The potential downside seems to outweigh the benefits. If an NBA team is willing to take Diallo in the first round this year, then Calipari has some serious damage control in front of him. If for some reason Diallo isn't seen as a first rounder yet remains in the draft, then things get even uglier.

Odds are Diallo suits up for UK next year but it is not a given. The unique circumstances surrounding Diallo were tailor-made for Cal and he did what most would expect him to do - roll the dice. It all comes down to what transpires the next few weeks.

Reactions: docholiday51
I will say the reasons for the country's best HS players to come to Ky keep growing and growing IF the NBA is your ultimate goal. And I'd guess for approx 100% of them , it is .

Reactions: brianpoe
This unique situation presented itself and Calipari decided the risk vs. reward was worth taking. Given his players-first mantra and penchant for poking the NCAA, it was probably a relatively easy choice for him to make. The plan all along must have been that Diallo was going to test the NBA waters this year and let the chips fall where they may.

The risk for Calipari was an NBA team taking a chance on a kid with freakish athleticism and good potential in the first round this year. At the time this arrangement was made, Diallo going in the first round this year was a long shot. Now, however, while still a long shot it is slightly a more real possibility, which Calipari also knew would happen as the '17 draft drew near. If Diallo stays in the draft this year it's win for Diallo and a lose-lose for Calipari and UK.

The reward for Calipari is the kid gets good advice from the NBA on what needs he needs to work on and he suits up for UK next year. A win-win for Calipari and for UK and a loss for Diallo (let's not kid ourselves, these kids only go to college because they have to).

The potential downside seems to outweigh the benefits. If an NBA team is willing to take Diallo in the first round this year, then Calipari has some serious damage control in front of him. If for some reason Diallo isn't seen as a first rounder yet remains in the draft, then things get even uglier.

Odds are Diallo suits up for UK next year but it is not a given. The unique circumstances surrounding Diallo were tailor-made for Cal and he did what most would expect him to do - roll the dice. It all comes down to what transpires the next few weeks.
There was always more risk than reward for UK in this deal,you have to think Cal understood that going in

Get ready for the 1/2 and done jokes and hit pieces.

Cal will catch a lot of heat from our fans from this one if he stays in the draft, probably deservedly so. Not a good look with this one.
I know the SOP for this message board is to overreact, but, WTF are you all talking about? There's nothing surprising about Diallo feeling out what the NBA thinks of him and not hiring an agent. All of these "it definitely appears like he's gone" statements are just people stirring $hit up. No one knows anything, and if we're basing predictions upon actual evidence, it appears he's more likely to come back than stay in the draft. He didn't hire an agent, and all opinions are that he wouldn't do better than late 1st, early second round, if he did stay in. How about we wait until he hires an agent to indict Cal/UK. Some of you seem to think that our recruiting success and the # of 1-and-done players in the NBA are mutually exclusive. News flash... THEY ARE DIRECTLY RELATED!! How about we go back to talking about the potential of the Sheray Thomas' of the world.

I know the SOP for this message board is to overreact, but, WTF are you all talking about? How about we go back to talking about the potential of the Sheray Thomas' of the world.

You can't post about other people's over reactions & then turn around & make one of the most hyperbolic & overused "arguments" on this board.
To act like it's either the one & done philosophy or back to Tubbys recruiting is beyond ridiculous.

Reactions: BourbonBalz
I disagree that there was ever more risk than reward.

1. Diallo was going to be somewhere these past 3 months. Count me in the group who is glad he was practicing at UK rather than playing at UCONN.

2. Reward potential 1: plays for UK next year.

3. Reward potential 2: he helps our players as a capable practice body.

4. Reward potential 3: he helps us get his good friend Bamba because he can relay from the inside how fairly he was treated.

5. He goes pro now. Slight reward for helping this guy improve from a second round/not draftable player.

6. Downside: weeping and gnashing of teeth. Maybe caused us to miss on someone else (don't think this is true).

It's a basketball game. Why you people let this type of thing stress you out is beyond me. This has zero impact on any intelligent, sane, normal fans' lives. Just IMO.
You know...guys like you just pizz me off to no end!! You come in here and start spewing logical, intelligent, balanced crap like this!! Don't you know the rest of us are forkin' nuts and live our pathetic lives in a blue delusional fog thinking the world revolves around our view of UK basketball. You need to drop the sane, rational commentary and dip you toe into the fringes of unreasonable, selfish expectations like the rest of us!! You should be banned. Just kidding, of course.

Do you really think Cal got burned?

Put me in the camp that believes that Cal not only knew all this was going to happen but is essentially guiding Diallo through it all.

I bet anything Cal sees this as a win win situation. If Diallo returns to school, Cal gets one of the best players in the country on the team. If Diallo goes pro this summer, then Cal gets another goodwill notch in the belt with helping families and kids reach their dreams.
Call me crazy, but I don't see one thing wrong with that plan, assuming any of your speculation is accurate.

You can't post about other people's over reactions & then turn around & make one of the most hyperbolic & overused "arguments" on this board.
To act like it's either the one & done philosophy or back to Tubbys recruiting is beyond ridiculous.
I think if you included my entire post I believe it would provide a little more context. Point is, you are either in the Cal camp and understand and accept that Cal's goal is to recruit the best players every year, which brings the potential to have a highly competitive team, and at the same time potentially lose them every year to the draft. Or, you are in the other camp that would rather not get top level (5*) players, so that you can "get to know" them and "enjoy their growth", which more than likely means 2-3 year intervals of not being competitive at the highest level (ya know, uavel style). Or, you're in some very weird space where you think you can have both? What we have here is a bunch of fans that can't accept the new regime and want to incessantly complain about it at every turn. Not to be political, but it sounds eerily analogous to our country's current state of affairs.

Last edited:
yep.... and the bandwagon fans, cry babies, and just plain dumbasses. Even without Diallo this class is 3X better than any class their beloved Tubby ever signed. If these idiots are really UK fans they are some of the worst fans in sports....

The most important thing to some is to witness the evolution of guys like Sheray Thomas and Woo into average players over four years.

I think if you included my entire post I believe it would provide a little more context. Point is, you are either in the Cal camp and understand and accept that Cal's goal is to recruit the best players every year, which brings the potential to have a highly competitive team, and at the same time potentially lose them every year to the draft. Or, you are in the other camp that would rather not get top level (5*) players, so that you can "get to know" them and "enjoy their growth", which more than likely means 2-3 year intervals of not being competitive at the highest level (ya know, uavel style). Or, you're in some very weird space where you think you can have both? What we have here are a bunch of fans that can't accept the new regime and want to incessantly complain about it at every turn. Not to be political, but it sounds eerily analogous to our country's current state of affairs.

Yea that's just not true.

To think that the only 2 methods at those extremes & nothing in the middle is wrong. I'm not saying we should change how we do things, but a multitude of teams operate in between those 2 bookends.

Yea that's just not true.

To think that the only 2 methods at those extremes & nothing in the middle is wrong. I'm not saying we should change how we do things, but a multitude of teams operate in between those 2 bookends.

And those teams are?

Kansas? One Final Four in 8 years, but a bunch of conference titles.

UNC? No Final Fours for 6 straight years before making the past two.

Duke? 2 Final Fours in 8 years (I know. They won both).

We've had 4 Final Fours and 6 Elite Eights doing it Cal's way. I can understand why some people can't take the roller coaster, but it's hard to argue with (or top) the results.

I've skimmed most of this thread, still haven't seen anything explaining why this is supposed to make me mad.

Someone said something about taking taxpayer money (in the form of a scholarship). Right. Ridiculous. Someone said something about ethics or "winning trumps all". Right. More ridiculous.

The only way this should make anyone mad, the only way it was negative for UK at all, was if by giving Diallo a scholarship it cost us another player in this class who would be here next year (if - IF - Diallo doesn't return).

I haven't seen anyone make that claim. Otherwise, this was a non-event. He came, sat on the bench, left. Didn't cost us anything. Yet people are amazingly offended. Or, at least, a few people are.....

And those teams are?

Kansas? One Final Four in 8 years, but a bunch of conference titles.

UNC? No Final Fours for 6 straight years before making the past two.

Duke? 2 Final Fours in 8 years (I know. They won both).

We've had 4 Final Fours and 6 Elite Eights doing it Cal's way. I can understand why some people can't take the roller coaster, but it's hard to argue with (or top) the results.

Most teams operate somewhere between those 2 extremes. Like I said I'm not saying we should change. Our results speak for themselves. But same can be said for Kansas, who I'm certainly not a fan of, or even UNC, who I despise. They've gotten pretty good results as well.
Lots of ways to do things.

1. Diallo was going to be somewhere these past 3 months. Count me in the group who is glad he was practicing at UK rather than playing at UCONN.

4. Reward potential 3: he helps us get his good friend Bamba because he can relay from the inside how fairly he was treated.

5. He goes pro now. Slight reward for helping this guy improve from a second round/not draftable player.

6. Downside: weeping and gnashing of teeth. Maybe caused us to miss on someone else (don't think this is true).
Very good points particularly pointing out his relationship with Bamba and still potentially Knox although long shot. We did right by their bud. Cal shows he is all about helping recruits get to where they are going. Even if there is a chance they never play here. Just good recruiting PR who knows the significant improvement in Fox taking his game up a notch at the end of the season may have been the defensive pressure Diallo applied in practice. Remember Harrelson gave credit to practicing against kanter as one of the reasons for his improvement

Reactions: brianpoe and Aike
The way I feel is this... First off testing the waters is the right thing to do. He should do it and I was always under the assumption he was going to do this even when we were recruiting him. But now it can go like this.....

1. He works his way into the 10-20 range ... he's gotta go then and I cant be mad.

2. He's late first round........ then I'm a little hurt because I feel he should come back and go for a higher draft pick next year.

3. he's a second rounder..... and if he leaves then I'm pretty upset and feel betrayed.

4. He comes back ...........everyone's happy.

Does this sum it up for many of you or am I on an island with these scenarios?

Most teams operate somewhere between those 2 extremes. Like I said I'm not saying we should change. Our results speak for themselves. But same can be said for Kansas, who I'm certainly not a fan of, or even UNC, who I despise. They've gotten pretty good results as well.
Lots of ways to do things.

Like I said, I get that some people are worn out by the roller coaster and would prefer a system closer to Kansas or Carolina.

Also, it is easier to feel that way coming off back to back title game appearances for UNC. Harder to make that argument from 2010-2015.

Yeah I don't get it......the reward of going after Diallo far outweighed the possible risk

Reactions: brianpoe and Aike
If he stays in the draft, then the message it sends is one of ..........(I'll just let you finish the sentence).

As a fan of UK basketball for nearly 50 years, my interest is slipping incredibly fast. This has gone from a college sport which I love(d) very much to nothing but a money game where the UK fan is being used and abused, for the gain of a very select few. What about the time and money that we fans invest in the program? I know it's great that these guys get big $$$$ and their dreams are coming true, but what does the common fan get in return? The fan gets to hear about a great recruiting class coming in again that will once again probably fall short because there is no stability in the program with regards to returning players.

I really started getting tired of this type system a couple years ago, and it's getting worse fast. Color me stupid I guess to say that I wish we had players that play with heart and passion and know that the name on the front of the jersey means something. The one and done rule has quietly destroyed what the UK program is all about. Championships or not, and there haven't been many lately.

I'll probably watch like I always have, but it's more like watching something because it's on rather than feeling involved like I used to.

Lastly, I can't believe Calipari gets 7-8 million $$$$ per year, by UK, to focus on UK basketball success and it's all about running an NBA developmental camp. It could be so much different if he would just TWEAK his system a little, but he's obviously not going to and Barnhart and company seem to be content with it. To each his own I guess.

I just don't get u people. How in the world can u guys not understand the success we are having. 2011 enis Kanter plays we cut down nets. 2014 WCS doesn't get hurt we cut down nets. 2015 poythress doesn't get hurt we cut down nets and are undefeated. 2016 skal had of been what he was supposed to be we probably go to the final 4 2017 Higgins had a called a half ass fair game and if Willis a senior had of just followed his man on d we would have probably cut down nets and would have gone to the final 4. Only one of those years could you say being young cost us and that was last year with Skal not living up to potential. Now no guarantees in life and even if the injuries hadn't of Happened we could have lost but most likely we have at least one more final 4 and one probably 2 more titles but it is not unreasonable to say it could have been 3 or 4 titles. How can we not be happy about that. Being young and having lots of players leave has had nothing to do with us not winning another title injuries an asshole decision by the NCAA and Higgins being born has had everything to do with it. But y'all would rather go back and have less success go back to 10 years between final fours so there can be a few more tears on senior day?

1. As a fan of UK basketball for nearly 50 years, my interest is slipping incredibly fast. This has gone from a college sport which I love(d) very much to nothing but a money game where the UK fan is being used and abused, for the gain of a very select few.

2. but what does the common fan get in return?

3. Color me stupid I guess to say that I wish we had players that play with heart and passion and know that the name on the front of the jersey means something.

4. The one and done rule has quietly destroyed what the UK program is all about.

5. Championships or not, and there haven't been many lately.

I'll probably watch like I always have, but it's more like watching something because it's on rather than feeling involved like I used to.

1. For the last several decades, college basketball has been a money game. People have just stopped pretending it was ever anything else.

2. You don't feel like you're getting anything in return? That's on you. I've had way more fun and enjoyed way more memories from the past 8 seasons than ever before. Wall against UNC. Knight against Ohio State. Jorts against OSU and Louisville. Davis' block on Henson. The entire 2012 season. Nerlens blocking a billion shots while in foul trouble on the road. Aaron's clutch threes. The 2015 38-1 run. Murray's arrows and Ulis being a wizard. Monk's 47 on UNC. Fox cooking Ball in the tournament. If you're not getting anything, you must be watching a different team.

3. The only thing the name on the front of our jersey has ever meant to players was that it was the best place in the country to play. The best fans, the best tradition, the best facilities, the best coaches. Now we've added the best place to reach your dreams. Kids never came here (from out of state) because of their love for UK. That's always been the fan's stance, not the player's.

4. The UK program has always been about being the best. Only Duke can even argue that they're having a better past 8 years. We're still about the same thing: winning.

5. We're ahead of our traditional pace on titles since Cal has been here. His approach giving us more opportunities (and therefore more failures) doesn't change that.

I just don't get u people. How in the world can u guys not understand the success we are having. 2011 enis Kanter plays we cut down nets. 2014 WCS doesn't get hurt we cut down nets. 2015 poythress doesn't get hurt we cut down nets and are undefeated. 2016 skal had of been what he was supposed to be we probably go to the final 4 2017 Higgins had a called a half ass fair game and if Willis a senior had of just followed his man on d we would have probably cut down nets and would have gone to the final 4. Only one of those years could you say being young cost us and that was last year with Skal not living up to potential. Now no guarantees in life and even if the injuries hadn't of Happened we could have lost but most likely we have at least one more final 4 and one probably 2 more titles but it is not unreasonable to say it could have been 3 or 4 titles. How can we not be happy about that. Being young and having lots of players leave has had nothing to do with us not winning another title injuries an asshole decision by the NCAA and Higgins being born has had everything to do with it. But y'all would rather go back and have less success go back to 10 years between final fours so there can be a few more tears on senior day?

and if only I had a billion $$$$ I'd be a billionaire...

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
I'm missing something he didn't say realize his dream. It's present tense. Which means it is still the same thing playing at UK next season. He said nothing that sounded like he was gone for sure or even leaning that way. He stated as was the plan which we all knew about multiple threads about it when we signed him. He then thanked us all for being there for him but did not say it in past tense and the wording clearly means the continuing support. So believing his word means nothing in regards to him coming back
Lol, wow. Believe as you wish.

Exactly you just made my point if those things that had nothing to do with youth don't happen we would have more championships and if u had a billion dollars you would in fact be a billionaire. Both statement are accurate. So say crap like this because you can't dispute what I said. Player turn over and youth is not why we don't have another championship or more final fours, but bringing the top talent every year is why we were in the position to be there

Exactly you just made my point if those things that had nothing to do with youth don't happen we would have more championships and if u had a billion dollars you would in fact be a billionaire. Both statement are accurate. So say crap like this because you can't dispute what I said. Player turn over and youth is not why we don't have another championship or more final fours, but bringing the top talent every year is why we were in the position to be there

lol...anyone can dispute what you said, because it is opinion, not fact. You don't know for sure that "if ---- doesn't get injured, we go undefeated," or "if ---- stays healthy we win a NC," or even "if ---- calls,the game right, we win it all."

In the other hand, if I had a billion $$$$, I would b a billionaire...

One is "accurate." One is opinion.

lol...anyone can dispute what you said, because it is opinion, not fact. You don't know for sure that "if ---- doesn't get injured, we go undefeated," or "if ---- stays healthy we win a NC," or even "if ---- calls,the game right, we win it all."

In the other hand, if I had a billion $$$$, I would b a billionaire...

One is "accurate." One is opinion.

Dablueman is more accurate.

If you were given 1 billion dollars it would be taxed prior to hitting your account, making you a $650 millionaire, so there's that.

Last edited:
1. For the last several decades, college basketball has been a money game. People have just stopped pretending it was ever anything else.

2. You don't feel like you're getting anything in return? That's on you. I've had way more fun and enjoyed way more memories from the past 8 seasons than ever before. Wall against UNC. Knight against Ohio State. Jorts against OSU and Louisville. Davis' block on Henson. The entire 2012 season. Nerlens blocking a billion shots while in foul trouble on the road. Aaron's clutch threes. The 2015 38-1 run. Murray's arrows and Ulis being a wizard. Monk's 47 on UNC. Fox cooking Ball in the tournament. If you're not getting anything, you must be watching a different team.

3. The only thing the name on the front of our jersey has ever meant to players was that it was the best place in the country to play. The best fans, the best tradition, the best facilities, the best coaches. Now we've added the best place to reach your dreams. Kids never came here (from out of state) because of their love for UK. That's always been the fan's stance, not the player's.

4. The UK program has always been about being the best. Only Duke can even argue that they're having a better past 8 years. We're still about the same thing: winning.

5. We're ahead of our traditional pace on titles since Cal has been here. His approach giving us more opportunities (and therefore more failures) doesn't change that.

Thanks zo. Looks like u nailed it.

But, like I said, TO EACH HIS OWN.

If he stays in the draft, then the message it sends is one of ..........(I'll just let you finish the sentence).

As a fan of UK basketball for nearly 50 years, my interest is slipping incredibly fast. This has gone from a college sport which I love(d) very much to nothing but a money game where the UK fan is being used and abused, for the gain of a very select few. What about the time and money that we fans invest in the program? I know it's great that these guys get big $$$$ and their dreams are coming true, but what does the common fan get in return? The fan gets to hear about a great recruiting class coming in again that will once again probably fall short because there is no stability in the program with regards to returning players.

I really started getting tired of this type system a couple years ago, and it's getting worse fast. Color me stupid I guess to say that I wish we had players that play with heart and passion and know that the name on the front of the jersey means something. The one and done rule has quietly destroyed what the UK program is all about. Championships or not, and there haven't been many lately.

Lastly, I can't believe Calipari gets 7-8 million $$$$ per year, by UK, to focus on UK basketball success and it's all about running an NBA developmental camp. It could be so much different if he would just TWEAK his system a little, but he's obviously not going to and Barnhart and company seem to be content with it. To each his own I guess.
As has previously been stated. If you can't enjoy it now you should probably find another hobby.

if I could stand up and applaud this I would (but I'm on a laptop right now and I might drop it)
excellent post

it's so bizarre that you embrace tough guy shit like this, but hate westbrook

unless...

UK hasn't been winning "many" championships lately for about 60 years bud. This isn't the 1948-1958 era and those good ole days are probably never coming back with 4 titles in 11 seasons.

And if so many UK fans have issues with this stop going to games and stop spending the precious money. Oh wait, most of you are fanatical crazies who will go games no matter what. Plus, despite all you said above, you like to win and Cal wins bigtime at UK. Best Coach at UK since Rupp.

This is not a Cal issue, this is a NBA rule issue. Players are gonna go get paid, they want to make money for their families just like you did. You would not have given up a year's salary then or now to play a game for free if you needed the money. Btw, if UK could win you a "natty title" next season would you give up year's salary knowing your wife and kids would have a shitty life and maybe starve? I doubt you would. I digress.

Reactions: Blue_2_the_bone

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT