ADVERTISEMENT

Diallo Cleared

Surprise, it wasn't just academics.

Add Diallo to the list of Kansas players that have received extra benefits: McLemore, Alexander, etc

Reactions: brianpoe
Surprise, it wasn't just academics.

Add Diallo to the list of Kansas players that have received extra benefits: McLemore, Alexander, etc

sounds like the guardian is legit under Malian law.

i'm just glad the KU fans won't have a built in excuse when we step into the Phog and do some bad things on their court.

He is really good. Greatly improved KU...they are a legit top 4-5 team now

Good for them. That game at KU just became a legit Final Four caliber game, especially considering it is on Jan. 30th and not your typical November or December non-conference game. That's going to be fun.

So now they're a lock for their 11,000th straight Big ###??? championship. I bow before their greatness.

But it is good for the young man.

1000% different scenarios. Kanter took money as a pro. This kid was a refuge who had some shady handlers (not all that different from Skal).

I hate KU but this kid deserved to be cleared and play.

Whoa there, Kanter was a minor (16-17 yrs old) whose only way to play in TURKEY for God's sake was for and with a pro team (no high school team bb there) and he got educational expenses while on the road, and his well-off parents didn't even spend the money but put it in an account to be paid back to ensure he could play for a US college. Emmert screwed UK.

If you're a real UK fan you should know better.

Kanter was deemed permanently ineligible based on the technicality that the money was paid to the Kanters to give to the tutors instead of directly to tutors themselves. The Kanters showed proof that they never touched the money and were not only willing to pay it back but also to come back for a 2nd season if he could play as a sophomore.

Jay Bilas was the only one outside of UK fans to take up for the kid.

Whoa there, Kanter was a minor (16-17 yrs old) whose only way to play in TURKEY for God's sake was for and with a pro team (no high school team bb there) and he got educational expenses while on the road, and his well-off parents didn't even spend the money but put it in an account to be paid back to ensure he could play for a US college. Emmert screwed UK.

If you're a real UK fan you should know better.[/QUOTE

Bingo

Reactions: loublue22
Gets cleared, but the national media still whining.

Only at KU and Saint Bill.

I want to see what these "limited extra benefits" are. Don't they usually go into detail?

It's a save face move on the NCAAs part.

98fl3-happy-face.jpg

Still makes no sense to me that he couldn't practice with the team until cleared. So now's he eligible to play, but is basically two months behind in his development?

I see no harm if he could have practiced while waiting on the ruling.

He was allowed to practice with the team, just not on the Maui trip.

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
He gets to feast on some cupcakes right off the bat. After the Vandy game, the next 3 opponents are terrible. Only decent games before they start league play are Oregon State and San Diego State.

Yeah cast my vote in with the minority. I have zero sympathy for kansas. We seem to forget that when ole Roy was there he'd run the score up on us. Unfortunately for diallo, perry Ellis is a 12th yr 46 yr old senior who won't let diallo touch the ball. I hope vandy beats them by 50, and we beat them on a last second shot or by 51 whichever causes a bigger meltdown for them.

1000% different scenarios. Kanter took money as a pro. This kid was a refuge who had some shady handlers (not all that different from Skal).

I hate KU but this kid deserved to be cleared and play.

Kanter didn't accept money, he allowed his pro team to pay for his tutoring and education.

How is that any different from Diallo going to prep school last season on full scholarship??

Reactions: brianpoe

If you're a real UK fan you should know better.

Well, playing for a pro team was pretty stupid, and if he always intended to play college, then he should have come to play highschool. At least coordinate with the NCAA as to a way he could possibly play as a pro and the NCAA would already know and signed off on it.

That said, this isn't a situation where money is being passed under the table, or influence being bought. He took the opportunity available to him and if he never even touched the money I think you look at the spirit of the rule in relation to the circumstance. As I said before, he could have gone to a US high school, but do we really have to force that on a kid. Moving overseas is a dramatic life change. An 18 year old kid is also typically a lot more prepared than a 14 year old kid.
I get it opens the door for abuse to get around the established rule, but nothing is stopping the NCAA from being able to sit down on a case by case basis for rare circumstances, like the kid's home country doesn't offer amateur basketball for what would typically be your high school years.
The NCAA has plenty of deep pockets and could make the necessary resources available for these rare or odd specific circumstances. Especially, considering that they make a gigantic amount off of the NCAA tournament. Unlike college football, where the universities and conferences keep an overwhelming majority of the money, by comparison, the schools in March Madness take home peanuts while the NCAA gets fat from the jackpot to line the coffers with huge tax-free profits.

ADVERTISEMENT