ADVERTISEMENT

Diallo Cleared

Meh we're happy but we've seen enough glaring holes in our post game to not be over-confident.

Great news. I want no excuses if we beat them in Lawrence.

That game is a win-win for us, IMHO. If we win, its a great win. If we lose, it was expected, since it's in the Phog.

Either way, it helps our RPI and seeding. And no one can say that we haven't played at least one tough road game this season.

Reactions: Double Oaked Juice
Kanter was deemed permanently ineligible based on the technicality that the money was paid to the Kanters to give to the tutors instead of directly to tutors themselves. The Kanters showed proof that they never touched the money and were not only willing to pay it back but also to come back for a 2nd season if he could play as a sophomore.

Jay Bilas was the only one outside of UK fans to take up for the kid.
Agree completely. Every media member in American was voicing their opinion that Diallo should play, with Kanter only UK and Bilas said anything. Everyone else was crickets.

1) Good for the kid. This is the right call, and I would hope KU fans would say the same if the situation were reversed and we were in their shoes (and kinda were with Skal).

2) Good for KU. @Phog will be a tough game for us (that place will be JACKED when we come to town), but if we do pull out a win, I want no excuses.

3) This.

He gets to go for that coveted Big 12 title!!!!!!!

True fact: the very first comment I saw in the ESPN article was this from a KU fan: "It's about time. That'll be 12 straight Big 12 titles for KU."

LOL. The only blue blood where program success is defined by dominating a horrible conference. (Not that the SEC is amazing)

I'm glad for the kid, but it still doesn't change what I think about some of these FB/Message Board KU fans!

It's more and more embarrassing what the rest of the SEC is doing in recent years, but I still think we could trade any one team to ANY other conference and they'd have a winning record.

Well, playing for a pro team was pretty stupid, and if he always intended to play college, then he should have come to play highschool. At least coordinate with the NCAA as to a way he could possibly play as a pro and the NCAA would already know and signed off on it.

That said, this isn't a situation where money is being passed under the table, or influence being bought. He took the opportunity available to him and if he never even touched the money I think you look at the spirit of the rule in relation to the circumstance. As I said before, he could have gone to a US high school, but do we really have to force that on a kid. Moving overseas is a dramatic life change. An 18 year old kid is also typically a lot more prepared than a 14 year old kid.
I get it opens the door for abuse to get around the established rule, but nothing is stopping the NCAA from being able to sit down on a case by case basis for rare circumstances, like the kid's home country doesn't offer amateur basketball for what would typically be your high school years.
The NCAA has plenty of deep pockets and could make the necessary resources available for these rare or odd specific circumstances. Especially, considering that they make a gigantic amount off of the NCAA tournament. Unlike college football, where the universities and conferences keep an overwhelming majority of the money, by comparison, the schools in March Madness take home peanuts while the NCAA gets fat from the jackpot to line the coffers with huge tax-free profits.
The NCAA allows foreign players to play for pro teams as long as they don't sign contracts and receive a salary. There have been other foreign players who, like Kanter, have played for pro teams before they came to the US and played in college. The issue for Enes wasn't the fact that he played for a pro team but, according to the NCAA, his family was paid educational expenses that should have been paid directly to his tutors and what they determined was in excess of what was allowed. Enes' family had placed the money into an account and offered to pay back what the NCAA deemed excessive, but they refused and declared him permanently ineligible.

Reactions: brianpoe
Jesse Newell ‏@jessenewell 7m 7 minutes ago
Attorney Don Jackson on Diallo situation: "The reality of the matter is, agents don’t give players $165."

Jesse Newell ‏@jessenewell 6m 6 minutes ago
Don Jackson says $165 Diallo received came after process to make Tidiane Drame his legal guardian had already started.

Jesse Newell ‏@jessenewell 3m 3 minutes ago
Don Jackson says $165 Diallo received from Drame were for things like cell-phone bills and travel, like Drame taking him to Walmart.

And the amount of money spent by Kansas was over six figures. Because of $165.00

That should tell you everything you need to know about the sham that is the NCAA.

You know what? After seeing what happened to Kansas regarding Ben Mclemore, Cliff Alexander, and Darrell Arthur, you'll have to forgive me if I'm a little damn skeptical

ESPN just scrolled that he had received improper benefits. How is he cleared? Didn't Alexander face the same issue?

It's a save face move on the NCAAs part.

98fl3-happy-face.jpg
Yeah it is because Emmert knows the NCAA is going to sweep the UNC and UL scandels under the rug.:flush:

ESPN just scrolled that he had received improper benefits. How is he cleared? Didn't Alexander face the same issue?

He's cleared once he serves a five game suspension. Four he's already missed, and then one more. Extra benefits do not equal permanent ineligibility.

Extra benefits means you are ineligible until you go through the reinstatement process. During the process, the NCAA will determine the period of ineligibility based on what was received. In this case, because of the small amount, the NCAA settled on five games.

That's why it's next game that he can play he got a "5-game suspension" for $165 given to him by his own guardian, who has nothing to do with Kansas. Trip in the car to Walmart? Cha ching. Using the family toilet? Cha Ching.

Reactions: hoopsig
If that's all he got then he should already be eligible. Players have gotten thousands of dollars and not missed much more time than that.

Reactions: preacherfan
For six months this was all about the school. Today it's all about 165 dollars.

Talk about covering your a$$. I guess those classes were really core classes after all. What a giant load.

For six months this was all about the school. Today it's all about 165 dollars.

Talk about covering your a$$. I guess those classes were really core classes after all. What a giant load.

Too bad NOBODY will hold the NCAA accountable for this. It is COMPLETELY inexcusable and shows complete and total incompetence by the NCAA.

It seems that the 5 games suspension was an attempt to save face for the fact that he had already missed most of those games.

Reactions: Lumpy 2
Just saw this thread and thought I would chime in as someone who is a little KU biased but also gonna try to look at this fairly. I was too young to remember the Kanter situation so I can't say much about that. As far as Diallo goes, it is beyond embarrassing and disappointing that the NCAA did this. as most of you know, the reason he is suspended is for 165 dollars. in the world of college basketball there is players making way more than this on the daily and playing. it happens, but the fact he's getting suspended for this because of his guardian is ridiculousness. now the ncaa is trying to save them self by saying he should be suspended 5 games because in reality he should of been playing the whole time. just sad man it really is. from all accounts Diallo is a great kid and doesn't deserve this. sounds like Kanter got screwed over as well. it's time these power schools take a stand and I'm glad self started it. maybe some changes will finally come.

True fact: the very first comment I saw in the ESPN article was this from a KU fan: "It's about time. That'll be 12 straight Big 12 titles for KU."

LOL. The only blue blood where program success is defined by dominating a horrible conference. (Not that the SEC is amazing)

Well, when you lose in the first weekend as a high seed two out of three years, you've gotta hang your hat on something.

And, all kidding aside, I'm glad the kid can play.

As a Kansas fan it's disappointing to know that only KU players take impermissible benefits. Really really sucks you guise.

Yeah cast my vote in with the minority. I have zero sympathy for kansas. We seem to forget that when ole Roy was there he'd run the score up on us. Unfortunately for diallo, perry Ellis is a 12th yr 46 yr old senior who won't let diallo touch the ball. I hope vandy beats them by 50, and we beat them on a last second shot or by 51 whichever causes a bigger meltdown for them.
I`m not a Kansas fan but if you remember. That ass kicking had to do with Pitinos big ego. They kept running because he kept pressing. I think old Huck even told him that they would call off the dogs if he called off the press. At which time Pitino responded with a big old F----- You.

I`m not a Kansas fan but if you remember. That ass kicking had to do with Pitinos big ego. They kept running because he kept pressing. I think old Huck even told him that they would call off the dogs if he called off the press. At which time Pitino responded with a big old F----- You.
Even though self isn't as big of a douchebag he's still kansas's head coach so that makes him just as hated. Here's hoping his rug flies off in the middle of a game. I'm not sold that diallo will come in and be an impact player right away with the ball hogs on that team. I really can't stand kansas and the rock cock gay hawks.

Even though self isn't as big of a douchebag he's still kansas's head coach so that makes him just as hated. Here's hoping his rug flies off in the middle of a game. I'm not sold that diallo will come in and be an impact player right away with the ball hogs on that team. I really can't stand kansas and the rock cock gay hawks.

What are you twelve?

I applaud Pitino for doing that. It paid HUGE dividends down the road. As for Roy, if he told me that, I wouldn't say it that way but I sure would let him know that I don't appreciate his condescending smug country boy persona.

What a surprise! Ku actually has a decent post player. Without this kid, KU would get killed by teams with decent frontcourt players. Now that this kid can play, KU might have a chance to advance come tourney time and not get bounced in the first round. With all that said, knowing Bill Self and his rotation habbits, it probably turns out that this kid will only play 10 minutes a game while the big stiffs on KU get most of the playing time. Self better be happy that this kid got signed. Without this kid, KU would have no shot at beating Kentucky even at home. I still think Kentucky will beat KU. KU has the most overrated set of guards in the country and when they finally get to see what real elite guards look like, we will come out of the phog with the win.

Well thank goodness this is over ! So no Self can stop whining like a little spoiled bitch to everyone who will listen !!

If Diallo and KU fans are unhappy with the NCAA about this kid not playing so far, just wait till Self gets ahold of this kid and he gets to play 10 minutes a game. I know this sounds silly, but the NCAA was probably doing this kid a favor and now that he gets to play, the NCAA could have just loss this kid a lot of money by letting him play for Bill Self. If he never played, he would have got drafted on potential alone. Now that he gets to play 10 minutes a game, his OnenDone odds are going down by the minute. I know some KU fans will call bs on this, but in the past Self has done this to some very talented big men. If big Cliff never got to play for Self and KU, that kid would have been a 1st round pick in the NBA draft. After playing limited minutes for Self, he turned into a 2nd round pick in the NBA draft. What a shame! I'll be watching this closely and i hope Self figures it out quicker than in the past that when you have a big kid with so much potential, you should probably play him a lil more than the guys you play who suck at basketball.

If Diallo and KU fans are unhappy with the NCAA about this kid not playing so far, just wait till Self gets ahold of this kid and he gets to play 10 minutes a game. I know this sounds silly, but the NCAA was probably doing this kid a favor and now that he gets to play, the NCAA could have just loss this kid a lot of money by letting him play for Bill Self. If he never played, he would have got drafted on potential alone. Now that he gets to play 10 minutes a game, his OnenDone odds are going down by the minute. I know some KU fans will call bs on this, but in the past Self has done this to some very talented big men. If big Cliff never got to play for Self and KU, that kid would have been a 1st round pick in the NBA draft. After playing limited minutes for Self, he turned into a 2nd round pick in the NBA draft. What a shame! I'll be watching this closely and i hope Self figures it out quicker than in the past that when you have a big kid with so much potential, you should probably play him a lil more than the guys you play who suck at basketball.

Alexander was not drafted at all.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
So...Diallo's very complicated case is finally decided.

I guess Alexander's case is really, really, like very really complicated......?

Reactions: Lumpy 2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT