ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Wolken: NCAA should cancel tournament column

First of all, I'm so tired of the hot take bullshit that dominates sports talk now.

Second, there are so many steps you could take instead of canceling it. Even setting aside what we don't know about the virus and how bad it might get, the logic behind canceling it altogether at this point doesn't hold up.

I don't say that from a "don't take away the thing I like" perspective, but just from a rationality standpoint. You could play with no fans. You could play at fewer venues. You could choose sites/cities that could accommodate multiple rounds being played there to reduce travel.

If we can keep 3,000 people on a cruise ship for weeks and then send them to military bases for two week quarantines, we can get 800 basketball players together to play a tournament on the weekends.

Hell, send them all to Harvard's campus. It's built perfectly to accommodate students already. There are countless colleges in the immediate area with gyms for practice and games, and they wouldn't encounter anyone else right now with school dismissing.

Reactions: ganner918
First of all, I'm so tired of the hot take bullshit that dominates sports talk now.

Second, there are so many steps you could take instead of canceling it. Even setting aside what we don't know about the virus and how bad it might get, the logic behind canceling it altogether at this point doesn't hold up.

I don't say that from a "don't take away the thing I like" perspective, but just from a rationality standpoint. You could play with no fans. You could play at fewer venues. You could choose sites/cities that could accommodate multiple rounds being played there to reduce travel.

If we can keep 3,000 people on a cruise ship for weeks and then send them to military bases for two week quarantines, we can get 800 basketball players together to play a tournament on the weekends.

Hell, send them all to Harvard's campus. It's built perfectly to accommodate students already. There are countless colleges in the immediate area with gyms for practice and games, and they wouldn't encounter anyone else right now with school dismissing.

yeah or just have it go on as planned and grow the f up and let adults make their own choices

Doesn’t the NCAA make like 90% of their money from the tourney?
I’m not sure of the exact amount, but it’s a huge part of their money from the Basketball side of things for sure. Not to mention all the potential money for the different parts of the country, with fans going all over the country to all the Arenas, the Hotels, the restaurants, the gas stations, the Airlines and soo much more. The NCAA WILL NEVER CANCEL MARCH MADNESS!! Lmao.

Seriously, we see this every single day, writers trying to get clicks!! I have to say, this may be the worst case of wanting clicks I’ve ever seen in the history of the clicks for cash era! He doesn’t believe one word of what he wrote and he knows there’s 0.00000% chance they will cancel it.! Haha I’ve got to give him credit, he’s took the most talked about things the last week or so and combined for a great click bait piece.

Hey, I’m all for anyone making a dollar, it’s just Some of these guys are just so obvious in their motives, it makes it hard to like any writers at all anymore. Especially the people who’s doing whatever they have to for a few clicks. Sorry, I got a little side tracked for a minute. Lol.

Anyway, There will be March Madness as usual and I’m taking the Kentucky Wildcats as the National Champions!!

I actually wouldn’t mind them cancelling the tournament. Would deny several teams staring probation in the eye a last chance to cash in on their ill gotten gains before they potentially get slammed.

Coach K isn’t getting any younger either.

Has an otherwise healthy person died from this virus?

It's not so much just about people dying. The more people get it, the more likely it is to spread to people who will die from it.

Even if you don't die, suddenly having tens of thousands of people sick would overwhelm the health care system.

If you keep it from spreading now, you basically beat it. You don't want it to get like it did in China or Italy.

Saying "it's no big deal" is how it becomes a big deal.

Wolken is mad at the NCAA and wants the tournament shut down to hurt them. He’s just pissed off because he feels the Wiseman decision cost Memphis “a title”.

Just another pissed off former Memphis beat writer.

I dont see why they'd need to cancel it. Big crowds and people traveling from all over to the sites is the concern. Not a handful of players being together.

This is the way sports are covered in the Stephen A Smith age. It’s about being the loudest, or having the most out of bounds opinion, so you somehow stand out in the crowd. What’s it going to be like in another decade?

Dan Wolken is nothing more than a woke dweeb with elvish-like features. He can go pound sand

Reactions: awf
I think they should start slow - cancel the WOMEN’S tournament this year. Then, if it is still a problem, you can cancel the men next year.

Certainly need to respect this coronavirus but we're taking it to a whole other level. Why did we not cancel this entire season when flu a & b where very bad this year killing thousands & sickening millions?
The flu comparisons are getting old. Thought most would’ve learned by now how they are the not the same thing

Reactions: ganner918
This guy is a click whore. He will literally write anything just to get peoples attention.

The NCAA will strongly consider canceling the NCAA tournament if The Rat Faced Bastard and Dook get knocked out in the first round !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT