ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee sues NCAA

I hate Louisville but they are stupid for rolling over and letting the NCAA take that 2013 banner.
I will say if the NCAA tried stripping us of a banner, Brainfart would probably take it down and hand deliver it to NCAA headquarters himself.
I don’t know how the man functions with no spine and no balls!

I hate Louisville but they are stupid for rolling over and letting the NCAA take that 2013 banner.
I will say if the NCAA tried stripping us of a banner, Brainfart would probably take it down and hand deliver it to NCAA headquarters himself.
Tell us what you REALLY think about him ukjenning! 🤣

If your as guilty as Tennessee is what have you got to lose
Vols have blatantly flaunted their NIL recruiting of top players.

The only concrete rule that applies to NIL is that it can't be used as a recruiting incentive.

How many other schools have you seen or heard publicly boasting about offering an incoming freshman $8M if he stays 4 years at UT or $2M per year for however long he does stay????

The other schools at least TRY to hide it or deny it happening with their recruiting.

Not UT. They are above the law. Or at least they think they are.

Other schools demanded they investigate UT.

If NCAA loses this one, they are finished as ruling board for D1 schools.

NCAA completely dropped the ball on NIL and the transfer portal. They had years to come up with a workable system but stuck their head in the sand and waited for the courts to force their hand. Now it's a free for all and they probably won't be able to put the genie even halfway back in the bottle.

NCAA completely dropped the ball on NIL and the transfer portal. They had years to come up with a workable system but stuck their head in the sand and waited for the courts to force their hand. Now it's a free for all and they probably won't be able to put the genie even halfway back in the bottle.
Yep, this is true. They could have come out smelling like a rose if they had taken the initiative and created a system that would work. But since they waited for the courts to force them, they ended up trying to manage it after Pandora's box was already opened.

Give me your email address, mother's maiden name, and last four digits of your social security number and I'll check for you. I know a guy who's high up in Internet Management who can find these things out.
Do you need my credit card number as well? Lol

Yep, this is true. They could have come out smelling like a rose if they had taken the initiative and created a system that would work. But since they waited for the courts to force them, they ended up trying to manage it after Pandora's box was already opened.
Any system that isn't entirely open for the student to pursue (and maximize) their free market and educational opportunities at will is doomed to failure. Any other system is unAmerican. The only system that would work, is no system.
The NCAA should stay out of eligibility rule creation and enforcement, and they just might survive. They run a good tournament, that's enough.

Any system that isn't entirely open for the student to pursue (and maximize) their free market and educational opportunities at will is doomed to failure. Any other system is unAmerican. The only system that would work, is no system.
The NCAA should stay out of eligibility rule creation and enforcement, and they just might survive. They run a good tournament, that's enough.
Just curious, but if there is no eligibility rules or enforcement, why would college sports be interesting, and more importantly, do you think UK could compete in such an environment? My meaning on being interesting is if all players go the highest bidder, then who really cares about most games being played, or championships, for that matter. As much as I hate the NCAA, college sports needs rules and enforcement, just like pro sports needs rules and enforcement.

Yes, thanks to the imaginative, genius leadership of Mark Emmert.

Yes, thanks to the imaginative, genius leadership of Mark Emmert.
It's not really on Emmert. At the end of the day the NCAA just represents the member institutions. If the schools themselves actually wanted to have come up with a workable NIL framework the NCAA would have done it. They were fine with the arrangement where they made all the money and only had to give athletes free tuition and didn't want to upset the apple cart.

What is the ground for the lawsuit?

Sounds like a DeSantis thing….sue first and ask why later….they haven’t even gotten any penalties yet……

Sue for an investigation?

• Sad
Reactions: rwbloomjr

Fortunately with Cal we don't have to worry about banners being raised that could be taken down anymore.

If this is your position then what stops a player from only playing 4 years? Do they even have to go to class or pass? Hell, why can't colleges bring back 30 year Olds if they want? Or what stops someone from transferring midyear and suiting up for a new team? All of those are eligibility issues and you need some way to have a standard.

Reactions: Seakat311
It’s pay for play—nil, abc, xyz—wth ever. why try to say it’s anything else. it’s here, live with it, roll with it, play ball.
I wish tenn well in their defiance of the ncaa (excuse me, i just threw up a little in my mouth).

Just curious, but if there is no eligibility rules or enforcement, why would college sports be interesting, and more importantly, do you think UK could compete in such an environment? My meaning on being interesting is if all players go the highest bidder, then who really cares about most games being played, or championships, for that matter. As much as I hate the NCAA, college sports needs rules and enforcement, just like pro sports needs rules and enforcement.
Certainly, UK could compete in basketball, there are only five guys on the court at one time and it's more important (to our fanbase anyway) than football. Our resources will be directed toward basketball. Football, I'm not sure about.
I think we've had it so good for so long that our perspective is skewed. There are 362 teams playing NCAA D1 basketball. NIL threatens the status quo of UK, Duke, UNC, KU, etc. but outside that group, NIL offers an opportunity for all the others.
No rule or regulation imposed by the NCAA limiting a players ability to collect NIL money or transfer will ever fly. Because, first of all it is wrong... and secondly, it would take agreement among all schools (which is not in the best interest of 99% of them).
Early on we enticed recruits in various ways... until tradition became the overriding factor for getting guys on campus. Tradition is no longer the enticement it once was.
NIL has replaced it. Such that a rich car dealership in Hammond, Louisiana could theoretically assemble a championship caliber basketball team. Great for Southeastern Louisiana U... for the kids... and I suspect most other schools.. all of which care (they've never had a legitimate shot at a title)... but, not so great for UK potentially.

Reactions: Fox2monk and blubo
I believe one of the main points of contention could be that the Tn QB in Question may have received substantial $$$ while still in high school which could have an adverse effect on his amateur status which was the ???? about Big z. Of course Forde reported it involved several athletes in several sports

Reactions: Seakat311
If this is your position then what stops a player from only playing 4 years? Do they even have to go to class or pass? Hell, why can't colleges bring back 30 year Olds if they want? Or what stops someone from transferring midyear and suiting up for a new team? All of those are eligibility issues and you need some way to have a standard.
These are still colleges which serve a purpose much greater than basketball. They set their own admission requirements and qualifying standards to play already. The NCAA has set minimum standards, but the institution standards are all over the board. Bottom line, to play you need to be enrolled... and think all universities will agree to that... after all, it is what they exist for.
Personally, I don't care if a 30-year-old college student plays... I feel that is much better than the arbitrary arrangement they have now.
If a University wants to admit and enroll a transfer midway through the season, sobeit. Though, I suspect most have policies against it. I can quit my job and take another at any time, but I can't very easily enroll in ongoing classes at another university in late-March.

1. I think Tennessee is clearly buying dudes and to the letter of the law....it's a violation.
2. I don't think much of Tennessee and root for Bama/UGA, etc... to beat them to a pulp.
3. But it's silly to single out FSU, Tennessee, etc... for violations when a ton other schools are doign the same thing but not as blatant (or they tell their kids to keep these NIL transactions on the down low).

It's open pay for play...love it or hate it....it's reality and this will morph into an issue of applying the laws when you want...and looking the other way when NCAA doesn't want to enforce.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I believe one of the main points of contention could be that the Tn QB in Question may have received substantial $$$ while still in high school which could have an adverse effect on his amateur status which was the ???? about Big z. Of course Forde reported it involved several athletes in several sports
1) Amateur status means nothing anymore.
1b) We should have played Z, and then sued if anything came of it
2) Any adult can earn NIL (even in HS)

These are still colleges which serve a purpose much greater than basketball. They set their own admission requirements and qualifying standards to play already. The NCAA has set minimum standards, but the institution standards are all over the board. Bottom line, to play you need to be enrolled... and think all universities will agree to that... after all, it is what they exist for.
Personally, I don't care if a 30-year-old college student plays... I feel that is much better than the arbitrary arrangement they have now.
If a University wants to admit and enroll a transfer midway through the season, sobeit. Though, I suspect most have policies against it. I can quit my job and take another at any time, but I can't very easily enroll in ongoing classes at another university in late-March.
Following that position would destroy competitive balance and make a mockery of college sports.

At this point just unionize it and via collective bargaining that would actually allow for transfer rules with teeth and something workable.

Doing a system of unlimited free agency and no salary cap will doom college athletics in the long hail a cripple programs with fewer resources like ours.

They must have caught UT doing something very bad for the state government to take action on their behalf.
If they got caught providing hoes like UL, I'd use the UNCheat defense...regular students got some too.

Reactions: RunninRichie
When you’re involved in litigation, you go thru several phases, the most important phase is discovery, where you basically lay your cards on the table. I’ll be very interested to see Tennessee’s cards. Let’s see exactly what they are accused of doing and the evidence to support the accusations. Should be interesting.

Following that position would destroy competitive balance and make a mockery of college sports.

At this point just unionize it and via collective bargaining that would actually allow for transfer rules with teeth and something workable.

Doing a system of unlimited free agency and no salary cap will doom college athletics in the long hail a cripple programs with fewer resources like ours.
No it wouldn't, it is actually having the opposite effect on the competitive balance.
Our ivory towers are crumbling to the benefit of 90+% of the other NCAA D1 programs. We have enjoyed our competitive prominence in college basketball, but we better be ready to adapt quickly.

Vols have blatantly flaunted their NIL recruiting of top players.

The only concrete rule that applies to NIL is that it can't be used as a recruiting incentive.

How many other schools have you seen or heard publicly boasting about offering an incoming freshman $8M if he stays 4 years at UT or $2M per year for however long he does stay????

The other schools at least TRY to hide it or deny it happening with their recruiting.

Not UT. They are above the law. Or at least they think they are.

Other schools demanded they investigate UT.

If NCAA loses this one, they are finished as ruling board for D1 schools.
they now join UNC, Duke & Kansas as untouchable

Reactions: cathouse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT