ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee sues NCAA

I hate Louisville but they are stupid for rolling over and letting the NCAA take that 2013 banner.
I will say if the NCAA tried stripping us of a banner, Brainfart would probably take it down and hand deliver it to NCAA headquarters himself.
I don’t know how the man functions with no spine and no balls!
That would make him an eunuch, who is hunched over all day. Poor guy

• Haha
Reactions: ukjenning44
The state attorney general and the state has sued the NCAA. Glad they have the guts to do it. UK should have sued them years ago there was never any evidence UK sent money to Chris Mills.
I knew this would happen lol. The NCAA has less than no authority now. Idk why we always let them determine what we do. It makes no sense.

I’ve told him (well probably his staff) in a few emails. Some of the staffers probably laugh but some probably agree 😃

So how can you tell if your email has been blocked? 😂😂
I'm susre your emails carry a lot of weight lmao. I'm thinking a gnat would bother them more than your suggestions of staffing changes. But I give you an A for effort and an F for thinking a random fan has any bearing on the AD's office.

Kentucky's a founding member of the SEC and a founding member of it's precursor the southern conference.
I didn't say anything about UK.
But... I will point out that Vanderbilt is a founding member of the SEC and the aforementioned Southern Conference... so, that itself carries little weight. Both the B10 and SEC will have to jettison some baggage to make that merger more lucrative.

It’s in SEC and Big tens best interest if Tenn wins this. The NCAA doesn’t have the best interest of student athletes. Look at Big Z…etc. the only way the ncaa wins this is if congress gets involved imho. Also, Virginia has joined the lawsuit. May we see more join?

Reactions: rabbitTown
Do you think the NCAA is functioning properly?
The NCAA punted so badly on the UNC academic scandal that it bankrupted its moral authority.

In a lot of ways, the NCAA's cowardice reminded me of the response to the 2008/2009 banking scandal. The world needs bankers, but we didn't need those bankers. If you want a collegiate sports group, there are bazillions of people who can run that bureaucracy. We don't need those.

Reactions: FltDoc
What the NCAA did to Big Z is shameful and what they didn't do to NC a few years ago is terrible.
Hell they kept that NC football transfer out until he lawyerd up. The NCAA basically held him out over supposed paperwork errors. The NCAA are a bunch of dunning Kruegers.

The NCAA punted so badly on the UNC academic scandal that it bankrupted its moral authority.

In a lot of ways, the NCAA's cowardice reminded me of the response to the 2008/2009 banking scandal. The world needs bankers, but we didn't need those bankers. If you want a collegiate sports group, there are bazillions of people who can run that bureaucracy. We don't need those.
My suspicion is that the corruption and favors owed inside the NCAA ruin too deep for just your run of the mill regime change and half a dozen firings. Sure, you could keep the institution by name. But my guess is, to get it done right, the NCAA leadership framework would probably need to be gutted. Like Red Wedding gutted.

From what it appears, our administration didn't even have the stones to publicly push a player's eligibility status. Mitch probably gave away his lunch money a lot as a kid.
Well that billboard in Indy says otherwise. This was all NCAA pier play. They look more and more silly.

Certainly, UK could compete in basketball, there are only five guys on the court at one time and it's more important (to our fanbase anyway) than football. Our resources will be directed toward basketball. Football, I'm not sure about.
I think we've had it so good for so long that our perspective is skewed. There are 362 teams playing NCAA D1 basketball. NIL threatens the status quo of UK, Duke, UNC, KU, etc. but outside that group, NIL offers an opportunity for all the others.
No rule or regulation imposed by the NCAA limiting a players ability to collect NIL money or transfer will ever fly. Because, first of all it is wrong... and secondly, it would take agreement among all schools (which is not in the best interest of 99% of them).
Early on we enticed recruits in various ways... until tradition became the overriding factor for getting guys on campus. Tradition is no longer the enticement it once was.
NIL has replaced it. Such that a rich car dealership in Hammond, Louisiana could theoretically assemble a championship caliber basketball team. Great for Southeastern Louisiana U... for the kids... and I suspect most other schools.. all of which care (they've never had a legitimate shot at a title)... but, not so great for UK potential
I agree with most of what you say. The only thing I disagree with is your implication that NCAA rules restrict NIL earnings for players. They don’t. They restrict the school from using NIL as an inducement to attend the school. Any league has to have rules that create some level playing field with respect to how you fill out a roster. No league, college or pro allows the teams to do whatever they want. That would lead to a league most people don't have interest in. Personally, I hope the NCAA wins this one.

UNC beat them because it was academic fraud. Not athletics.

The NCAA had no jurisdiction. That was the argument UNC put before the courts, at a cost of $25 mil, and they were successful.
Not sure but I don’t think this went to court. Wasn’t this just the argument and UNC was treating to go to court. It was going to cost a bunch of lawyer fees and the NCAA just kinda backed off. You got the “Carolina way and the Tenn Way” both BIG CHEATS!!

Maybe lawyers can jump in but im pretty sure suing to stop an investigation wont work... maybe they could sue to stop from being punished severely, but the school signed up knowing investigations could happen... its probably written in an agreement to be part of the ncaa most likely. guarantee this lawsuit gets nowhere , even if it has to go to an appeals court or tenn supreme court.

no one innocent does a slap suit...... Tenn is showing they are guilty as sh*t by doing this slap suit.

I agree with most of what you say. The only thing I disagree with is your implication that NCAA rules restrict NIL earnings for players. They don’t. They restrict the school from using NIL as an inducement to attend the school. Any league has to have rules that create some level playing field with respect to how you fill out a roster. No league, college or pro allows the teams to do whatever they want. That would lead to a league most people don't have interest in. Personally, I hope the NCAA wins this one.
NIL has nothing to do with league rules in any sport. If the ncaa and conferences adopted a CBA they still can’t control or cap NIL. It would break the established antitrust rules. The NCAA is getting ready to get punked again.

I've been trying to explain this to the board since Tennessees legislature passed a law that allows Tennessee schools to do things the NCAA doesn't want. They can interact with collectives, they can organize recruits and collectives to the recruits see what is possible. There isn't thing 1 the NCAA can do about it. My guess is they tuck their tails and run.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I've been trying to explain this to the board since Tennessees legislature passed a law that allows Tennessee schools to do things the NCAA doesn't want. They can interact with collectives, they can organize recruits and collectives to the recruits see what is possible. There isn't thing 1 the NCAA can do about it. My guess is they tuck their tails and run.
Every state should enact NIL rules. If they don’t they the rules fall back on the ncaa guidelines. Missouri congressman lead the way in their state.

Maybe lawyers can jump in but im pretty sure suing to stop an investigation wont work... maybe they could sue to stop from being punished severely, but the school signed up knowing investigations could happen... its probably written in an agreement to be part of the ncaa most likely. guarantee this lawsuit gets nowhere , even if it has to go to an appeals court or tenn supreme court.

no one innocent does a slap suit...... Tenn is showing they are guilty as sh*t by doing this slap suit.
please read amendments

NIL has nothing to do with league rules in any sport. If the ncaa and conferences adopted a CBA they still can’t control or cap NIL. It would break the established antitrust rules. The NCAA is getting ready to get punked again.
NIL rules are absolutely league rules. They prevent teams from buying players if they are enforced properly.

Every state should enact NIL rules. If they don’t they the rules fall back on the ncaa guidelines. Missouri congressman lead the way in their state.
Yes but I'm not convinced the Missouri one is legal. That one needs to go to court. They are arbitrarily controlling NIL.

If Tennessee’s NIL law provided the level of protection you’re suggesting, then why didn’t the Tennessee AG sue the NCAA in state court alleging they violated that law?

Instead, the AG is suing in federal court alleging that the NCAA’s NIL rules violate the Sherman Act.

That would seem to me to indicate that Tennessee knows they are violating rules, and that they may not be confident that they’ll be shielded by their state law. So what they’re trying to do is to get a Federal court to say the NCAA’s NIL rule is illegal.

If Tennessee’s NIL law provided the level of protection you’re suggesting, then why didn’t the Tennessee AG sue the NCAA in state court alleging they violated that law?

Instead, the AG is suing in federal court alleging that the NCAA’s NIL rules violate the Sherman Act.

That would seem to me to indicate that Tennessee knows they are violating rules, and that they may not be confident that they’ll be shielded by their state law. So what they’re trying to do is to get a Federal court to say the NCAA’s NIL rule is illegal.
End around. This will be evidence of a violation of the Sherman Act.

Yes, we agree on the last paragraph.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT