ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Mullen Fired

I don't know if I really think this is a good move by Florida. Yes, this year has been rough but Mullen's first two years were really good and got Florida into the top 10. 2020 saw him win the East, but the team went 8-4. I suppose Florida thinks they are headed in the wrong direction long-term, but they've not been able to find the magic since Urban Meyer left.

Last edited:
Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.

He will land on his feet. He let his head get too big when he got one of the biggest jobs in college football.

If you coach at a school that perceives itself as being a traditional power and the fanbase has high, if not unreasonable expectations, the probability of being fired is very high. It's just that simple ...

Really bad move. For starters, Mullen is one of the best in the business. I know most don't like him but he's really good. Whoever UF gets to replace him will most likely be a step backward. Maybe even a large one. The other problem is that UF was moving back into relevancy and now they are rebuilding again. They were a legit top 10 team last year and were this year as well before the collapse. Much easier to correct the problems than it is to totally start from square 1.

This is why I don't see Stoops leaving UK, ever. The only jobs that are clearly better have too little patience to make it work.

Really bad move. For starters, Mullen is one of the best in the business. I know most don't like him but he's really good. Whoever UF gets to replace him will most likely be a step backward. Maybe even a large one. The other problem is that UF was moving back into relevancy and now they are rebuilding again. They were a legit top 10 team last year and were this year as well before the collapse. Much easier to correct the problems than it is to totally start from square 1.

This is why I don't see Stoops leaving UK, ever. The only jobs that are clearly better have too little patience to make it work.
Mark Stoops could not coach at at least 10 SEC schools. Maybe 12, Mullen lost the Florida fan base and boosters. He was in line to have a mass exodus of players that would have gone free agent on him. So Florida had to move now.

A 5-6 record at Florida with the talent on that team means problems. He lost the players, fans and boosters so what else could they do. Football is the game at Florida and no one is going to be happy even if the basketball teams wins the National Championship. You have to win a minimum of 10 regular season games to keep those fans happy in football.

Stoops should never think about leaving UK. And I doubt he will

It is a very rationale statement that Florida was the 2nd best team in college last year. They were the only team to play Bama to within a 1 score game late in the 4th qtr.

I think the part I'd have stuck with Mullen is even in a great team last year...the defense was the problem and firing Granthan made sense and you could see a pathway to fixing things by giving a blank check to hiring the best D Coordinator money could buy to get back on top.

Outside of knowing a name that will come to FLorida (like an Urban Meyer type)....I think this a big risk that you could end up with guys at Auburn, Tennessee...which were guys that were not first choice candidates.

One bad season at Florida and your fired.
1 bad season and a few bad games at LSU and your fired after winning a natty.

Wonder how many coaches would be drawn to that?

Another problem with these schools firing their coaches is if Stoops does go to LSU it makes us landing a really good coach more problematic if they are willing to gamble on a school that will fire you in a season.

Reactions: Lost In FL
It is a very rationale statement that Florida was the 2nd best team in college last year. They were the only team to play Bama to within a 1 score game late in the 4th qtr.

Outside of knowing a name that will come to FLorida (like an Urban Meyer type)....I think this a big risk that you could end up with guys at Auburn, Tennessee...which were guys that were not first choice candidates.

LOL. No, it absolutely is not. No team that lost four games and got blasted 55-20 in its bowl game ever may rationally make that claim. One close game against Bama does not erase their four losses last year.

You guys truly use batshit nutty logic at times.

Last edited:
Mullen couldn't recruit in Florida among the best high school talent in the nation even with FSU and Miami programs being down. It's been going on for several years. Nothing was changing. It needed to be done.

Not sure who the AD has on his short list but look for Brohm to get a look if their Top choices decline the job.

Mullen couldn't recruit in Florida among the best high school talent in the nation even with FSU and Miami programs being down. It's been going on for several years. Nothing was changing. It needed to be done.
Mullen never liked to recruit, he wasn't fond of kissing the ass and kow-towing to a bunch of 18-21 year olds. That's why I think his next destination will be the NFL as an OC.

His recruiting and not firing Grantham last year, got him the short hook. You can be a prick but you have to back that up with winning. If he’s winning, everyone thinks being a prick is funny.

Reactions: Mulder14
Call all their good players, tell them to hop in the transfer portal. Call all their good recruits.
You realize this is illegal, right? Schools are only allowed to contact players who’ve already entered the portal. Can’t try to convince them to do so.

But, I’m sure a lot of illegal tampering does go on.

Last edited:
You realize this is illegal, right? Schools are only allowed to contact players who’ve already entered the portal. Can’t try to convince them to do so.

But, of course, I’m sure a lot of illegal tampering does go on.
Call someone who knows all their good players and tell them “Gosh, if only it weren’t against the rules to contact them directly and tell them to hop in the transfer portal! If only someone cared enough to tell them how well they’d fit in at Kentucky!”

Call someone who knows all their good players and tell them “Gosh, if only it weren’t against the rules to contact them directly and tell them to hop in the transfer portal! If only someone cared enough to tell them how well they’d fit in at Kentucky!”
Isn’t this basically what Iowa accused UK of doing with CJ Fredrick this summer?

But, yeah, I’m sure a lot of that sort of “backdoor” tampering is going on. It be an awfully tough thing to prove, and the NCAA no longer seems much concerned with enforcing the rules anyways.

Last edited:
A tradition unlike any other: SEC coaches who lose to UK getting fired at end of the season. Two this year with Mullen and Coach O.

Coaching carousel is gonna be WILD.

The SEC is turning into the NFL. Not just the players, style, talent, but the way they’ll fire a coach directly after success. Coaches faces are ni longer synonymous with a program. Then coach X jumps around in the coaches club just like the NFL.

I miss the old way. There’s no loyalty in college sports anymore from the players to the administration across to the coaches. The game is really losing its luster.

But, yeah, I’m sure a lot of that sort of “backdoor” tampering is going on. It be an awfully tough thing to prove, and the University representatives no longer seemconcerned with enforcing the rules anyways.

fixed that for you.

Reactions: kywildcat41086

Mullen is grossly overated. He can not recruit at Florida, take a look at the rankings. He knows nothing about Defense. He fired himself when he fired Todd Grantham. Now, I agree with firing him, but should have waited until he found his replacement in the off season. Do I think Mullen needed to be fired this year, no. He deserved (1) more year.

One bad season at Florida and your fired.
1 bad season and a few bad games at LSU and your fired after winning a natty.

Wonder how many coaches would be drawn to that?

Another problem with these schools firing their coaches is if Stoops does go to LSU it makes us landing a really good coach more problematic if they are willing to gamble on a school that will fire you in a season.

I think we make the mistake of not understanding the mindset of a man who made it to the top of his profession, a profession that is nearly 100% drive and competitive in nature.

They want that kind of challenge. These guys don’t want easy street. They want to see if they can sustain greatness in the harshest environments.

Now me and you? We’re prolly staying at Grand Valley State for 400K after moderate success. Lay back and count the checks. But that’s not how these guys are made. They’re the ultimate competitors in society.

in my opinion of course but I feel like we misunderstand the mindset of these coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT