ADVERTISEMENT

List of viable replacements.

Who said that? I’m just pointing out that aside from that 1 year he’s been mediocre.
I wouldn't call 3 years of earning a 1 seed medicore. The tournament results aren't perfect, but no one's are. Self has lost in the 1st round. K lost in the 1st round. Cal has lost in the 1st round.

If you can get 3 straight 1 seeds and win a national championship at Baylor, you can do big things at Kentucky.

Dusty May will be at IU next season
Louisville will go all out for the best Coach in the Country Chris Beard if not him Eric Mussleman
Barnhart will hire Scott Drew 2 days after Calipari steps down
Mussleman would be a perfect hire for Louisville, very easy to hate him.

My requirements for the next coach:
1. Recruits complementary players, not just the most talented players, to build a team! Is program first, does the UK coach not work for the university? The goal is to have the best team that can win games and compete for championships.

2. Recruits high caliber players who will play for the name on the front of their jersey and not on the back - And try and determine a player's attitude in high school - are they well liked by their classmates, what do teachers say about their personality and attitude, do they want to win, play defense with desire, and try to lead and build up their teammates etc

3. Recruits "basketball" players with fundamentals and not "athletes" who may turn into basketball players.

4. Believes in a balanced roster of freshman through senior classes. Creates stability from year to year. You reload every year not rebuild.

5. You do all you can for the players on your roster but the overriding objective is the team. Emphasize that if you play hard and improve and play for the team, the NBA possibilities will be there. You only need to recruit 2 to 5 players a year and there are great players all around the country that want to play at UK.

6. Can adjust to changing game conditions, makes halftime adjustments, has a roster with depth and uses the bench. Doesn't have to play 10 players every game but can and will based on the game situation.

7. Believes in pressuring the opponent both offensively and defensively.

8. On and off court note - teach the history of UK basketball and emphasize how fortunate these players are to play at the greatest program in the land and try and make their own history

9. Try to construct a team like the 1998 National Champs. Hard nosed, gritty, and will to win. Not the most talented roster but never quit and always hustled. Only 2 players from that team spent any significant time in the NBA, Nazr and Jamaal, and they shared the center position at UK. Had Mills (a complimentary player) who was far from athletic but could shoot! Had several great leaders (Shep, Wayne Turner, Heshimu, Padgett, Alan Edwards). These guys were fundamental and played for each other. The opponent could not gameplan to stop 1 or 2 because there were so many that could beat you.

Last edited:
1. Scott Drew. He had Baylor as a top team for a couple of years. He's won an NCAA Championship at Baylor. I think he could do a lot better with a top tier program. That being said, he's been at Baylor for 20+ years. He has the only championship in school history. He's pretty well a made man. Now...he only makes 3.7 million. Big boy money may lure him out.

2. Tommy Lloyd. Since he took over, Arizona has been a 1 seed, 2 seed, and are currently on pace to be a 2 seed again. They have been a contender each year under Lloyd. I think he would be insanely good at a Blue blood. I think there's an argument for him as the top choice. I do worry he's a west coast guy, and it may be hard to pull him away from a good Pac-12 job.

3. Nate Oats. He took Buffalo to the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament in back to back years. He's transformed Alabama into an SEC contender. I think he could take the next step at UK.

4. Musselman: He's almost 60. I'd like to get someone with a longer potential career at UK. He took Nevada to 3 straight tournaments. He's had 3 straight Sweet 16's at Arkansas. He recruits well. He motivates guys. They're having a dumpster fire of a season, but it's due to player drama.

5. Pearl: The dude WANTS the job so badly. He is a good coach. He's taken Auburn to the Final 4, which is an accomplishment in itself. He's had some NCAA issues in the past. He's also 63. He's only 1 year younger than Calipari.

I don't think Hurley leaves UCONN. UCONN is a big time job. He's fresh off a national championship. He's got the best team in the country again. I just don't think he'll take the call other than to say no thank you.

Vogel would be a very good X's and O's coach, something we have been lacking for a long time. Can he recruit and build a program? College is so different than the NBA.
I like this list but would renumber to make it: 1.Lloyd 2.Pearl 3. Oats 4. Drew and 5. Musselman. I don't think we'd get Hurley and neither Vogel or Donavon are crazy enough to get into the current college environment. Pitino would be a real FU hire to CCC. (for that reason, and ONLY that reason, would I consider it. Lastly, I would consider bad boys Beard and Wade. Both can coach and have something to prove.

Reactions: cats1920
I like this list but would renumber to make it: 1.Lloyd 2.Pearl 3. Oats 4. Drew and 5. Musselman. I don't think we'd get Hurley and neither Vogel or Donavon are crazy enough to get into the current college environment. Pitino would be a real FU hire to CCC. (for that reason, and ONLY that reason, would I consider it. Lastly, I would consider bad boys Beard and Wade. Both can coach and have something to prove.
I forgot Beard in the initial post. He's probably #3 or #4 for me.

I'd probably put Wade at the end of the list. I think he CAN win. But that's a lot of baggage to bring on board.

Would Kelvin Sampson take the job? And would we take him?

Got in trouble at Indiana 15 years ago. Has turned Houston into a power house. He's older than Cal, so who knows how much longer he wants to coach. But he's one of the best in the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT