ADVERTISEMENT

List of viable replacements.

Hurley would be huge, Oats has too much of a thug culture for a program like UK.
not sure about the thug portion, but it would be nice to see some toughness in UK players again.
could it be the area that Oats recruits now? Would that area improve @ UK?

Reactions: PharmData
not sure about the thug portion, but it would be nice to see some toughness in UK players again.
could it be the area that Oats recruits now? Would that area improve @ UK?
He has a player in jail for cap murder, he personally shoved a Mizzou player, another player should be on trial for accessory to murder but he was an NBA prospect so..He is a good coach but operates his program with a culture that is beneath UK standards IMO.

Reactions: JumperJack
He has a player in jail for cap murder, he personally shoved a Mizzou player, another player should be on trial for accessory to murder but he was an NBA prospect so..He is a good coach but operates his program with a culture that is beneath UK standards IMO.
So don’t hire him based on what two players he’s recruited out of a 10 year career has done? You can’t always control what someone is going to do, everyone has free will

So don’t hire him based on what two players he’s recruited out of a 10 year career has done? You can’t always control what someone is going to do, everyone has free will
That’s fair, there are other things I just posted the most recent off the top of my head.

I agree. People want these big names because they won the tournament or made the final four. I don’t think that is a huge factor. If it were we could just go hire Kevin Ollie, I’m sure he would take the job. I also don’t think a Roy Williams Kansas to UNC type of move is necessary. The hiring of Pitino is the blueprint. Find someone who is young, hungry and understands todays environment. I guarantee a coach like Todd Golden is gonna be huge. He is gonna win big at Florida.
Pitino is absolutely the blueprint

but he also took Providence to a final four and had NBA experience.

the problem with rolling the dice on a guy is people were saying Gillespie was going to be huge - took A&M from a nobody to a 20+ win team, beat UL at Rupp in the tourney. He was an up and comer, blah, blah, blah,..But Donovan? two national championship. There is no comparison in who you would hire between the two (yes, I know Donovan turned us down - but the prevailing logic would be that Donovan wouldn't want it at UK if he was coach)

we know how that went with Gillespie.

I definitely agree about the hungry part, but Cal hadn't won a national championship, but he had proved himself.

The blueprint is there - with Pitino and Calipari - hire someone who has been there before but has something to prove so they can make an immediate impact in the program and not waste 3 years trying to figure it out.

Bring in the flavor of the moment that hasn't done anything and you'll be buying out his contract too

Pitino is absolutely the blueprint

but he also took Providence to a final four and had NBA experience.

the problem with rolling the dice on a guy is people were saying Gillespie was going to be huge - took A&M from a nobody to a 20+ win team, beat UL at Rupp in the tourney. He was an up and comer, blah, blah, blah,..But Donovan? two national championship. There is no comparison in who you would hire between the two (yes, I know Donovan turned us down - but the prevailing logic would be that Donovan wouldn't want it at UK if he was coach)

we know how that went with Gillespie.

I definitely agree about the hungry part, but Cal hadn't won a national championship, but he had proved himself.

The blueprint is there - with Pitino and Calipari - hire someone who has been there before but has something to prove so they can make an immediate impact in the program and not waste 3 years trying to figure it out.

Bring in the flavor of the moment that hasn't done anything and you'll be buying out his contract too
Kevin Ollie? Lol in all seriousness if he is ambitious enough that’s Dusty May. He isn’t qualified by Jeff Capel felt like he got passed over at Duke and he might just be pissed off enough to want to prove it. He can’t do much at Pitt. There are tons of guys like that.

Kevin Ollie? Lol in all seriousness if he is ambitious enough that’s Dusty May. He isn’t qualified by Jeff Capel felt like he got passed over at Duke and he might just be pissed off enough to want to prove it. He can’t do much at Pitt. There are tons of guys like that.
how that would work is someone would say, ok, how about Kevin Ollie, he has a championship and then the people in charge would say...eh...no

and then they would move on. Just because he meets one set of criteria doesn't mean he is the right guy

I'm just saying what makes someone the wrong guy unless you're willing to bet 5 years of records similar to what we have now (or worse) or a huge buyout on a hunch.

Do you think the fanbase has 5 years of Gillespie in their tolerance level?

If today, I think Mitch would hire Scott Drew, at least it would be HIS #1 choice. Bryce Drew at Grand Canyon would have a better shot. I do not think Scott Drew would leave Baylor for the UK pressure cooker.

how that would work is someone would say, ok, how about Kevin Ollie, he has a championship and then the people in charge would say...eh...no

and then they would move on. Just because he meets one set of criteria doesn't mean he is the right guy

I'm just saying what makes someone the wrong guy unless you're willing to bet 5 years of records similar to what we have now (or worse) or a huge buyout on a hunch.

Do you think the fanbase has 5 years of Gillespie in their tolerance level?
No way. Lucky for us Cal had his recruiting class when he came.

We should absolutely be the first school to have an AI head coach
based off of all our previous coaches.

Program as follows:

Rupp's bold leadership and personality
Hall's feisty determination
Sutton's tolerance for spirits
Pitino's game planning & preparation
Tubby's relentless defense and death stare
Clyde's pop tarts & free throw strategy
Cal's recruiting and smugness

Program as follows:

ca48e0cb-1446-4342-b8fa-d9181a8f0d89-USATSI_17127654.jpg

Program as follows:

We don't even need an AI. My nine year old niece could scribble better lineups than the Donut King.

Shep
Rob
Reed
Z
Ugo

"GET OUT THERE AND GO MAKE A PLAY!"

There, I'm done.

Go to Jeff Ruby's and come back at halftime.

• Haha
Reactions: CatPhight
We don't even need an AI. My nine year old niece could scribble better lineups than the Donut King.

Shep
Rob
Reed
Z
Ugo

"GET OUT THERE AND GO MAKE A PLAY!"

There, I'm done.

Go to Jeff Ruby's and come back at halftime.
I don't know...me might need Clyde to block a free throw...

• Wow
Reactions: Mike-McD
I remember when Bryce Drew coached Vandy. He ran some great stuff to get shooters open. We need an aggressive coach that doesn’t look like he has no clue how to handle the game in front of him. And I mean you Cal.

I agree Vogel would be an excellent X's and O's guy. Which is music to my ears after years of Cal trying to let the kids figure it out on their own.

But is he going to be able to recruit and build a program? He's used to a GM taking care of the roster and he coaches them up.
Recruiting has changed so much with the "new buy a player" concept from the portal making high school recruiting less important. I think a lot of folks get caught up with the thought that players only come to UK as a pit stop to the NBA. I agree that most of the freshmen on this year's team probably did come for that reason. I think the future recruiting philosophy is to get (1) 5* a year and a few 3 and 4* that will take a couple of years to develop. Then, fill in with transfers who you can watch on tape and have a couple years of college experience upon which to judge their ability to play in the system at UK (I am thinking the post COW system).

Can Vogel recruit? Who knows, but he has the advantage of telling potential recruits of coaching LeBron, AD, and other NBA stars which will get a kid's head spinning. Also, he can hire assistants from the college ranks that have recruited at the Div 1 level, plus the advantage any coach would have pitching playing for the Big Blue. I think the idea is that UK will not have to beg players to come to fill out the roster. The head coach will have to "pick" the players he wants on his team.

We need a coach that can teach and develop players. From my reading, Vogel is on par with anyone in that area. He is a UK grad, was part of the Pitino coaching staff, and has received high praise from NBA coaches/assistants along with Pitino on his knowledge and work ethic. He may not be interested but a 5-minute phone call to guage his interest would be worthwhile.

Reactions: bigbluedon
If today, I think Mitch would hire Scott Drew, at least it would be HIS #1 choice. Bryce Drew at Grand Canyon would have a better shot. I do not think Scott Drew would leave Baylor for the UK pressure cooker.
Baylor pays him less than $4 million.

UK could double that.

The pressure cooker wouldn't mean more work, it just would mean an expansive mentality for any coach who comes here. Pitino understood that. So did Rupp. Even Calipari has been able to see past the critique.

Just focus on your day-to-day and the "pressure" fades.

Baylor pays him less than $4 million.

UK could double that.

The pressure cooker wouldn't mean more work, it just would mean an expansive mentality for any coach who comes here. Pitino understood that. So did Rupp. Even Calipari has been able to see past the critique.

Just focus on your day-to-day and the "pressure" fades.
I think Drew is a top 5 coach in college basketball.

He's had multiple years with Baylor as a top 5 team. Baylor was a football only school for a long time. He really made that program. And that's a huge accomplishment.

I think he could be a monster at a blue blood program like Kentucky. I think he'll come.

I hate to beat a dead horse but Mcneese state was 11-23 last year and finished at the bottom of the conference. This year they are already 20-3 and have wins over some high major schools. All analyst say that the coach is gonna be scooped up by a power 5 school next year. I’m only party joking now. Bring Anakin Skywalker home. Will Wade.

• Wow
Reactions: Mike-McD
Whose only claim to fame has been winning an NCAA tournament that was played in a bubble? In other words, circumstances which will never happen again? No thanks. He’s very vanilla. We need some young energy.
I really don’t understand the love for Scott Drew, aside from 1 year in 20 he’s been very mediocre

Reactions: TriCountyCat
I hate to beat a dead horse but Mcneese state was 11-23 last year and finished at the bottom of the conference. This year they are already 20-3 and have wins over some high major schools. All analyst say that the coach is gonna be scooped up by a power 5 school next year. I’m only party joking now. Bring Anakin Skywalker home. Will Wade.
Hell, I think LSU may end up hiring Wade back. At least that seems to be the sentiment of many of their fans, especially after seeing what he’s done right down the road at McNeese.

Wade certainly knows how to win. He’s proven that everywhere he’s been. And I guess his prior “issues” no longer matter so much now that NIL has essentially made that stuff legal anyways.

Hell, I think LSU may end up hiring Wade back. At least that seems to be the sentiment of many of their fans, especially after seeing what he’s done right down the road at McNeese.

Wade certainly knows how to win. He’s proven that everywhere he’s been. And I guess his prior “issues” no longer matter so much now that NIL has essentially made that stuff legal anyways.
Someone like this excites me a hell of a lot more than Drew, Pearl, Beard. This is more of the Pitino blueprint. This guy is still in his 40s and hungry as hell, won the SEC already, been to the sweet 16 and the tournament multiple times at every school he has coached at. I like Dusty May also.

Reactions: UK90
Dusty May will be at IU next season
Louisville will go all out for the best Coach in the Country Chris Beard if not him Eric Mussleman
Barnhart will hire Scott Drew 2 days after Calipari steps down

I really don’t understand the love for Scott Drew, aside from 1 year in 20 he’s been very mediocre
Actually...

Baylor was a 1 seed in 21 and 22. They were a projected 1 seed in 2020 before the tournament was cancelled. Bracket Matrix has them as a 1 seed, and they finished #5 in the Final AP poll.

So he was on pace for 3 consecutive years as a 1 seed and won a national championship. In the last 4 years. It's different if he had 1 stretch 7 or 8 years ago. But this was recently. He's got them in the running for a 3 seed right now.

He's done all this at Baylor. You don't win in basketball at Baylor. They have 1 national championship. His. Give him the power and resources of Kentucky--he should excel.

Also, he's the one guy with a national championship to his name that may leave his team. Not counting Rick because he's older than dirt and I don't think he has many years left in him.

Reactions: PatWall
Actually...

Baylor was a 1 seed in 21 and 22. They were a projected 1 seed in 2020 before the tournament was cancelled. Bracket Matrix has them as a 1 seed, and they finished #5 in the Final AP poll.

So he was on pace for 3 consecutive years as a 1 seed and won a national championship. In the last 4 years. It's different if he had 1 stretch 7 or 8 years ago. But this was recently. He's got them in the running for a 3 seed right now.

He's done all this at Baylor. You don't win in basketball at Baylor. They have 1 national championship. His. Give him the power and resources of Kentucky--he should excel.

Also, he's the one guy with a national championship to his name that may leave his team. Not counting Rick because he's older than dirt and I don't think he has many years left in him.
And in 19, 22, and 23 they lost in the second round.

This ain’t rocket science

Drew
Oats
Pearl

I doubt all three would say no at 10M per year and the ability to attract/NIL players at Ky that isn’t the same at Baylor/Bama/auburn
plus who ever we get has the chance to rejuvenate the program. I kind of think need somebody young. someone to connect with the younger fan base. It's sad but there's a portion of UK fans that hasn't experienced the true Glory a BBN.

Oh. I didn't realize we didn't count national titles if you lost in the 2nd round. Self and K both don't have any then. Cal doesn't have any. I'm not sure any coach has any.
Who said that? I’m just pointing out that aside from that 1 year he’s been mediocre.

A fan base that ran off 3 head coaches in a row. 2 who won National Championships.

Yeah, the school will get the pick of the litter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT