ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Mullen Fired

A tradition unlike any other: SEC coaches who lose to UK getting fired at end of the season. Two this year with Mullen and Coach O.

Coaching carousel is gonna be WILD.
Was just going to say the same thing. No big time program ever respects us even when we win more games than them. It's like the final nail in the coffin for the coach when we are one of the losses in a disappointing season. As others have said it's just one bad season and they fire both Mullen and Orgeron. I believe Tennessee fired a coach or 2 after we beat them as well.

So FL has whiffed on Muschamp, McElwain, and now Mullen. LOL, that's a helluva lot of buyout $$. We can take credit for being the beginning of the end for him.

Reactions: drbubba
So FL has whiffed on Muschamp, McElwain, and now Mullen. LOL, that's a helluva lot of buyout $$. We can take credit for being the beginning of the end for him.

Florida is not a traditional power. They are still trying to figure out how to win consistently. Hell, had Spurrier not been at Duke and prime for the job, they’d have nothing. Florida is the most overrated program in the nation when you consider their resources, lack of facilities, and recruiting ground. They’re just lucky Gainesville has a fertile recruiting ground and is attractive to football coaches. To me, it’s South Carolina on moderate steroids.

Florida is not a traditional power. They are still trying to figure out how to win consistently. Hell, had Spurrier not been at Duke and prime for the job, they’d have nothing. Florida is the most overrated program in the nation when you consider their resources, lack of facilities, and recruiting ground. They’re just lucky Gainesville has a fertile recruiting ground and is attractive to football coaches. To me, it’s South Carolina on moderate steroids.
Well, they do have a couple of Natties in the last 15 years. They've won their share. They do have a very fertile recruiting base in FL.

I don't know if I really think this is a good move by Florida. Yes, this year has been rough but Mullen's first two years were really good and got Florida into the top 10. 2020 saw him win the East, but the team went 8-4. I suppose Florida thinks they are headed in the wrong direction long-term, but they've not been able to find the magic since Urban Meyer left.
Yeah and that 8-4 was an all sec schedule that we were under .500 with. I know things are bad but seems like he would’ve gotten another year. Seems like it likely came fr above Stricklin

Reactions: KYExtemper
I'm not sure Florida can find a better option than Mullen. Seems like a perfect storm where stuff happened and they just collapsed. Very strange. They almost beat Alabama, and then lost a close one to UK where we didn't even play that well. Then, an epic meltdown ensued.

At any rate, what a great gig it is to be a major college coach....you suck, get fired and collect a cool $12 million.

I really don’t think his recruiting is as bad as many act like. He had back to back too ten classes i believe. His problem is his attitude and the fact that Georgia is on another level right now. That’s who he was getting compared to.

No more coaches whose name starts with M at UF. I wonder if Urban is tired of the NFL.

Last edited:
Reactions: THE_OAK
One bad season at Florida and your fired.
1 bad season and a few bad games at LSU and your fired after winning a natty.

Wonder how many coaches would be drawn to that?

Another problem with these schools firing their coaches is if Stoops does go to LSU it makes us landing a really good coach more problematic if they are willing to gamble on a school that will fire you in a season.

Let UK lose 75% of their conference basketball games in a season and see what happens to Cal. It's a parallel situation.

No clue what UF is thinking. In his 3 years there, he’s finished the season ranked 6th, 7th and 12th in the nation with 3 New Years 6 bowls. The only programs to be in New Years 6 games all of the 3 past years were Clemson, UGA, Ohio State, Oklahoma and you guessed it…Florida. He had a terrible season this year, but if those 3 seasons don’t get you 1 bad season, I don’t know what the hell to tell you.

Last edited:
A big part of Mullen’s problem this year, besides his smugness, was that the media solidly predicted Florida to be the 2nd best team in SEC East and disrespectfully wrote everyone else off. They no longer had Trask or their top three passing targets. But that didn’t stop the media from Picking them 2nd. Some even had them a lot closer to Georgia than they were.

Reactions: Girthang
I disagree with many here on Mullen as a good coach. Yes he won the East in 20, but if our Hobbit QB didn't get slammed on his shoulder and not able to throw they wouldn't have, UGA was ahead at the time. But really would a supposed QB whisperer had Trask sitting behind Frank's? He is half assed recruiter, whoever they hire will hurt everyone that recruits Florida.

No idea who they hire, of course we they have the same list as LSU with maybe a little the different priority. But names I saw were Cristobol, Kiffin, Napier seem to be the top 3.

A tradition unlike any other: SEC coaches who lose to UK getting fired at end of the season. Two this year with Mullen and Coach O.

Coaching carousel is gonna be WILD.

Let’s see

Miss State. Joe rockhead
Vilz
UF
LSU

who else?

Mizz coach?

Mullen is grossly overated. He can not recruit at Florida, take a look at the rankings. He knows nothing about Defense. He fired himself when he fired Todd Grantham. Now, I agree with firing him, but should have waited until he found his replacement in the off season. Do I think Mullen needed to be fired this year, no. He deserved (1) more year.
I agree with just about everything you said. His on field coaching is nothing special, he has had some top 10 classes but he is at the flagship school of the richest recruiting state in the country, anyone posting here could accomplish that.

I hate he was fired, I was hoping he would last 5-6 more years. Now they may hire someone who can actually lead them.

I think this is a horrendous decision. It would be one thing if this was a one time thing but it's not. This is now three coaches post Urban Meyer that they have canned.

Here's the thing. outside of Nick Saban, Urban Meyer has been the best coach of the last 20 years. You're not going to easily replace that type of coaching talent. You're not going to hit home run hires especially when they see you've shit canned three head coaches now (two who took you to the Sugar and Orange Bowls).

LSU canning Coach O less than two years after a national championship and now this? Job security at the college ranks is getting just as bad as the pros.

I think this is a horrendous decision. It would be one thing if this was a one time thing but it's not. This is now three coaches post Urban Meyer that they have canned.

Here's the thing. outside of Nick Saban, Urban Meyer has been the best coach of the last 20 years. You're not going to easily replace that type of coaching talent. You're not going to hit home run hires especially when they see you've shit canned three head coaches now (two who took you to the Sugar and Orange Bowls).

LSU canning Coach O less than two years after a national championship and now this? Job security at the college ranks is getting just as bad as the pros.
Urban won at Florida because he cheated like crazy. I live in Florida and you wouldn't believe some of the shit that went on there while he was the coach

No clue what UF is thinking. In his 3 years there, he’s finished the season ranked 6th, 7th and 12th in the nation with 3 New Years 6 bowls. The only programs to be in New Years 6 games all of the 3 past years were Clemson, Bama, UGA, Ohio State, Oklahoma and you guessed it…Florida. He had a terrible season this year, but if those 3 seasons don’t get you 1 bad season, I don’t know what the hell to tell you.

Actually, Mullen's record is even better than your post, Alabama did not go to NY6 in 2019, played Michigan in the Citrus Bowl.

Urban won at Florida because he cheated like crazy. I live in Florida and you wouldn't believe some of the shit that went on there while he was the coach
Oh I believe it because college athletics has been a sewer of rampant cheating (Saban and Bama are absolutely guilty of this) forever.

“Not my team” 👌 Yeah, okay, delusional fan. 😂

Last edited:
It is. But they're also getting paid better in many instances too. I will say this, with the transfer portal in place the expectations to flip things quickly for new hires may go up as well.

Was just going to say the same thing. No big time program ever respects us even when we win more games than them. It's like the final nail in the coffin for the coach when we are one of the losses in a disappointing season. As others have said it's just one bad season and they fire both Mullen and Orgeron. I believe Tennessee fired a coach or 2 after we beat them as well.
That point is made in this article as well...

Reactions: KyCatFan

That point is made in this article as well...
Definitely sounds like a huge reason they fired him. Like I said it doesn't matter where we are at now they still think of us as a mediocre football program.

2 — Times Mullen lost to Kentucky (2018, ‘21)

0 —Times UF lost to Kentucky in the previous 31 years before the 2018 loss

Reactions: sambowieshin

Coach was canned for sure. But if not for his other antics he would likely survived another year or two. The alleged cover ups of title IX violations caught him, him hitting on the pregnant wife of a trustee multiple times,? bringing his new girlfriend and her very young kids to football practice wasn't one of his smarter decisions. It was almost like he was daring them to do something.

I’d love for UK to hire him, the guy had a bad year. But hard to argue with his results at Miss St

I think it’s a mistake to view this firing as due to wins/losses on the field. Yea, he’s had success there on the field. But there’s obviously a bigger issue going on in Florida than just losing on the field.
No way in hell Florida loses to South Carolina unless the team just flat out quit playing for their coach. And if that’s happened, it’s damn near impossible to ever rectify that without making a change.

Reactions: bluecoon1
If Stoops really does bolt, if I'm Mitch I would 100% call Mullen and at least gauge his interest. He's a good football coach who couldn't please a delusional fan base. If it comes down to a coach swap with UF, I could think of worse scenarios.

Florida, LSU, USC, VA Tech, Texas Tech and more to open? I'm not sure there are enough quality coaches to go around for all these high profile jobs.

I was a student at Florida during those Urban years. I’m the same age as Tebow. Those players were running rampant around Gainesville - smoking, drinking, DUIs, arrests swept under the table. Aaron Hernandez killed a guy. All the while absolutely dominating on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT