ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Bert, I don't care if it was 2000. Just trying to answer SC's question with data I could find. You don't buy the data. OK, fine.
I was in no way attacking your post, I just stated what I had observed over the years. They lie about their attendance numbers.

I have been to 15 UK Florida "sell outs" that were not sellouts.

I was in no way attacking your post, I just stated what I had observed over the years. They lie about their attendance numbers.

I have been to many as well and they were not sellouts. But they claimed they were. A few had more UK fans than Gators.

When Alligator Alley was still around the last year of Coach Rupp the place was sold out and I was shocked when the Florida fans all got up and gave Coach Rupp a standing ovation when he was introduced. Even Gator fans recognized greatness and were saying good bye to an era.

I called the Sheriff's office and apologized for the "false alarm". The lady that answered laughed and said this happens multiple times a day.

The crazy thing is my phone was in my truck when the call was recorded and I was inside the gym working out. I think my phone has demons in it. Several times it has started playing music while sitting on my desk.
I've heard that if you discover that you've "butt dialed" 911, to not hang up. They say to stay on the line and and tell the dispatcher what happened. By hanging up, that gives the impression of an actual emergency.

Here's a story of a teen that "butt dialed" police here in Kentucky:

Good morning D-League. We currently have a light rain and 34° here in Eastern Kentucky. This afternoon will be cloudy with occasional rain, mostly in the morning and a high of 52°.

Have a great day.

aveiro-portugal-shutterstock_1581251188.jpg_df3ad75825.jpg

I called the Sheriff's office and apologized for the "false alarm". The lady that answered laughed and said this happens multiple times a day.

The crazy thing is my phone was in my truck when the call was recorded and I was inside the gym working out. I think my phone has demons in it. Several times it has started playing music while sitting on my desk.

You're just a rogue at heart Sir.

"My name's Forrest Gump. People call me Forrest Gump"

Your phone is like a box of chocolates....

😁

Since you did this for your job, any opinions on this tweet by catturd?
Thanks for asking Bernie. It’s a bit of a complicated story but let me try a brief summary.
1. There are always far fewer American reporters in a war zone when American boots are not on the ground. When things were really dangerous in Mogadishu before the Marines and later the Army troops arrived, I was one of a small handful of Americans there. Dozens flooded in with the troops. There was ferocious fighting in central Bosnia in 92-93 when I was there. That’s maybe the closest comparison to Ukraine, though not that close. Few American journalists were there -lots of Brits and Europeans.

When Catturd cites reporters embedded with troops he seems to mean AMERICAN troops, of which there are none in Ukraine. Not too many reporters spent more than a short time traveling with Bosnian irregulars or Northern Alliance troops in Afghanistan or Tutsi army units in Rwanda. And the rules have changed in the days of instant digital reporting. Think about it —what do modern journalists need to do their job? A satellite footprint. No Ukrainian unit in artillery range wants that.

2. The financial realities of journalism have changed in ways that make covering war zones the option of very few organizations. When I represented big newspaper chains like Hearst (huge papers in SF, Seattle, Houston, San Antonio, Albany, etc., all making money) most large and mid-sized organizations could afford it. But profits fell dramatically post-internet and costs rose until it became impossible for all but a handful of organizations. There were several THOUSAND reporters in the Gulf during Desert Storm —most of whom never made it to the combat zone (I was there very early, spent months getting connected, got out with the Big Red One in early January and spent the war out ahead of VII Corps with a Bradley Scout squadron that saw lots of action.)

3. It got a lot more dangerous. Access in Vietnam was total for reporters and they swarmed the place. Even so, relatively few were killed, at least until near the end in Cambodia. But fluid, no frontlines wars were much more deadly for reporters, especially as 24-hour news cycles made it necessary to get very close to the action. Highway ambushes killed lots of journalists, as did friendly fire in places like Iraq. The count of people I worked with in combat zones and in some cases were friends with who were killed was at 28 when I quit counting -I lost friends and colleagues in Somalia, Bosnia, Sierra Leone, Chechnya, Kosovo, Libya, Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq -almost always traveling apart from the military. My closest calls were road ambushes in Bosnia and Afghanistan before there were any organized armies around -just killers. Four European journalists were killed in the Afghanistan ambush I escaped.

One consequence -insurance got so expensive on journalists only the very biggest organizations that could self-insure could tell staffers ‘well take care of your family with $1 million (minimum) if something happens.’

4. Finally, for anyone who has read this far —there IS some detailed and relatively astute reporting going on from Ukraine, some of it quite remarkable. BUT -a lot of it is either being done by Europeans and most Americans never see it. Or it is being done by left wing news outlets like the New York Times that many people correctly dismiss as biased so they don’t see their coverage.

I don’t like the Times on politics, culture or social issues. But they have had probably the best war coverage —although not right in the front lines for reasons I have cited. Organizations take a multi-million dollar hit when a news team gets killed. I’ve got a very close friend who was a producer for CBS in Iraq who was badly injured in an IED explosion that killed some Marines. He’s still racking up medical bills 17 years later CBS is paying. Had he been killed, his wife would have gotten a seven-figure pay-out and his family probably would have sued for more.

That may seem an extremely long-winded response but believe me, that’s a brief summary. It’s complicated.

Last edited:
Thanks for asking Bernie. It’s a bit of a complicated story but let me try a brief summary.
1. There are always far fewer American reporters in a war zone when American boots are not on the ground. When things were really dangerous in Mogadishu before the Marines and later the Army troops arrived, I was one of a small handful of Americans there. Dozens flooded in with the troops. There was ferocious fighting in central Bosnia in 92-93 when I was there. That’s maybe the closest comparison to Ukraine, though not that close. Few American journalists were there -lots of Brits and Europeans.

When Catturd cites reporters embedded with troops he seems to mean AMERICAN troops, of which there are none in Ukraine. Not too many reporters spent more than a short time traveling with Bosnian irregulars or Northern Alliance troops in Afghanistan or Tutsi army units in Rwanda. And the rules have changed in the days of instant digital reporting. Think about it —what do modern journalists need to do their job? A satellite footprint. No Ukrainian unit in artillery range wants that.

2. The financial realities of journalism have changed in ways that make covering war zones the option of very few organizations. When I represented big newspaper chains like Hearst (huge papers in SF, Seattle, Houston, San Antonio, Albany, etc., all making money) most large and mid-sized organizations could afford it. But profits fell dramatically post-internet and costs rose until it became impossible for all but a handful of organizations. There were several THOUSAND reporters in the Gulf during Desert Storm —most of whom never made it to the combat zone (I was there very early, spent months getting connected, got out with the Big Red One in early January and spent the war out ahead of VII Corps with a Bradley Scout squadron that saw lots of action.)

3. It got a lot more dangerous. Access in Vietnam was total for reporters and they swarmed the place. Even so, relatively few were killed, at least until near the end in Cambodia. But fluid, no frontlines wars were much more deadly for reporters, especially as 24-hour news cycles made it necessary to get very close to the action. Highway ambushes killed lots of journalists, as did friendly fire in places like Iraq. The count of people I worked with in combat zones and in some cases were friends with who were killed was at 28 when I quit counting -I lost friends and colleagues in Somalia, Bosnia, Sierra Leone, Chechnya, Kosovo, Libya, Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq -almost always traveling apart from the military. My closest calls were road ambushes in Bosnia and Afghanistan before there were any organized armies around -just killers. Four European journalists were killed in the Afghanistan ambush I escaped.

One consequence -insurance got so expensive on journalists only the very biggest organizations that could self-insure could tell staffers ‘well take care of your family with $1 million (minimum) if something happens.’

4. Finally, for anyone who has read this far —there IS some detailed and relatively astute reporting going on from Ukraine, some of it quite remarkable. BUT -a lot of it is either being done by Europeans and most Americans never see it. Or it is being done by left wing news outlets like the New York Times that many people correctly dismiss as biased so they don’t see their coverage.

I don’t like the Times on politics, culture or social issues. But they have had probably the best war coverage —although not right in the front lines for reasons I have cited. Organizations take a multi-million dollar hit when a news team gets killed. I’ve got a very close friend who was a producer for CBS in Iraq who was badly injured in an IED explosion that killed some Marines. He’s still racking up medical bills 17 years later CBS is paying. Had he been killed, his wife would have gotten a seven-figure pay-out and his family probably would have sued for more.

That may seem an extremely long-winded response but believe me, that’s a brief summary. It’s complicated.
I enjoyed reading that and learning a few things. Thanks.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 54°F and foggy. We may hit 81°F today for our high. Great weather for another long walk.

I'll say it again: Loved Cats beat-down against Auburn yesterday. Ha ha, reminded me of good old days. Two more regular-season games remaining on the schedule.

Got a deal on another Harley-Davidson if I want it. Definitely gonna lose that tank decal if I decide to travel back to FL and purchase. My wife not happy about a possible deal. Heh, can't say I blame her.

332922727_3351067221827650_2308487239081658107_n.jpg

Yeah, up early again. Bah!

Wishing y'all a happy and joyous Sunday.

National-Pistachio-Day-min.png

Good Morning everyone.

Great game yesterday. The Grab Bag Cats....you never know what you'll get. Man if Oscar, Toppin, Wallace, and Reeves are having good games we'll be hard to stop.

@MdWIldcat55 I took the time on vacation to read your long post. That is something I rarely do and a huge surprise to myself while on vacation. Thanks.

The beach was sure crowded yesterday. We did a drive by and left. lol It's not for us. Meeting an old buddy, kayaking, eating, etc on tap today. Go, go, go

I hope everyone has a great day.

Good Sunday Morning

A beautiful day in store with a current temperature of 64° and a high of 78°. Winds are 9 mph.

I enjoyed the beat down of Bruce Pearl. Auburn this year may be the worst team I have seen Bruce Pearl put on the court. All cylinders were clicking for the Cats. Keep it up and they will be hard to handle in the tournament.

I trust all are well in health and spirit.

iu

Now that was entertaining! EVERYBODY had a good game. Cats lock up a Thursday bye in the SEC tourney. A win against Vandy Wednesday will guarantee a #3 seed and avoid Bama's side of the bracket. After this game though I really don't care who we play.
A friend of mine corrected me about the Thursday bye. Missouri would get the bye over the Cats if they both finish with 7 losses. My mistake. Still, a win Wednesday guarantees a 3-seed. The Cats have an outside shot at a 2.

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Morning D-Legionnaires!

43° this morning with a high in the mid 60's expected. Weather service warns of severe weather late this afternoon with rain, hail, high winds, and tornadic activity possible. Rain we could use, the rest, not so much.

Cats are on a 4-game winning streak which is tied for the most games won in succession this year so far. Play like we did yesterday the rest of the way and I think we have a chance. It could happen, Livingston and Toppin are beginning to assert themselves which I believe is the key to a run. Not trying to get too excited as the Cats have let me down these last few years so...cautiously optimistic.

It's Sunday folks so relax, enjoy and God Bless.

And I was just trying to give SC the info that was reported on UK's site.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT