ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Hey guys. Back with another genealogy post. It's been a big hobby of mine for a few months now. Anyway, I started my tree on ancestry a few weeks ago and have made a HUGE discovery. If you can recall I made a post on here last fall/early winter about being related to a man in the 6th Kentucky infantry CSA. William Steenbergen. Well he was related closely to Robert PENDLETON Steenbergen. My 6th great grandfather. And would be my 1st cousin.

Anyway, Robert Steenbergen's father married an Elizabeth GAINES. Of the famous Gaines family of Virginia. And her Mother was Isabelle Pendleton. (Which I'm assuming is where the Pendleton middle name came for Robert). Isabelle's brother was John C Pendleton and he had a child named Robert E Pendleton. Who then had a son named Edmund Pendleton II. Who then had a son who grew up to be a brigadier general for the Army of Northern Virginia. William Nelson Pendleton my 3rd cousin 8x removed. Who was General Lee's chief of artillery. He had a son as well.....and guess who he was? None other than the famous confederate officer Alexander Swift ''Sandie'' Pendleton....my 4th cousin 8x removed.

''Civil War Confederate Army Officer. His father was William Nelson Pendleton, a minister and future Confederate General, who settled his family in Maryland from 1844 to 1853. Educated at home and in a private school, at age 13 Alexander Pendleton enrolled in Washington College, (now Washington and Lee), at Lexington, Virginia, where his father had accepted a parish. An excellent student, he belonged to the same literary society as Thomas J. Jackson, then on the faculty of the Virginia Military Institute. Following his graduation in 1857, he taught at Washington College for two years. At that same time he enrolled at the University of Virginia to earn a Master's degree. After entering the Provisional Army of Virginia as 2nd Lieutenant in the Corps of Engineers on May 17, 1861, he left school without completing his studies. A week later he reported to Jackson, then a Colonel in the Confederate army, at Harpers Ferry. In July, Jackson requested him for his ordnance officer, and from the 19th of that month until his death he served as a capable, well-liked, and highly respected staff officer to Jackson and his successors. Historians today call him the most capable staff officer in the whole Confederate army. He enjoyed a close relationship with Jackson, whose intensely religious nature he shared. When his commission in the Virginia expired, Jackson arranged to have him appointed 1st Lieutenant in Confederate service on November 30, 1861. He served at that rank though the Shenandoah Valley Campaign of 1862, winning Jackson's approval for manning a field piece at Kernstown when he saw its gun crew killed as he returned from carrying orders to Jackson's subordinates. Again Jackson interceded on his behalf, securing for him a promotion to Captain, in June 1862. Illness kept him out of the Second Bull Run Campaign, but he returned to duty in late summer holding a temporary appointment as Assistant Adjutant General of Jackson's II Corps. Jackson depended on his ability to convey his orders clearly and concisely, in routine paperwork and under battlefield conditions. Most of Jackson's battle reports after First Bull Run were written by him, whose efficiency resulted in a promotion to Major and permanent assignment to the adjutant generalship, on December 4, 1862. The two men became almost inseparable. It was he who dressed Jackson's body for burial after his death from wounds he received at Chancellorsville, and he was one of the pallbearers at Jackson's funeral. On succeeding Jackson as commander of the II Corps, Lieutenant General Richard S. Ewell advanced him to chief of staff with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. Lieutenant General Jubal A. Early requested him for detached duty in the Shenandoah Valley in December 1863, and again the following June. On September 22, 1864, 3 days after the Third Battle of Winchester, he received a mortal gunshot wound to the abdomen at Fisher's Hill as he tried to check an advance on the Confederate front. Buried near the battlefield, his body was later exhumed and sent to his family in Lexington, Virginia. On October 24, 1864, his parents and his wife of 9 months attended his reburial near Jackson's grave. One month later his only child, a son, was born.

According to Wiley Sword's 'Confederate Invincibility', his last words were "It is God's will; I am satisfied."

Pendleton was an inspired choice Jackson prized Pendleton's intelligence, attention to detail, and boundless energy. When asked for frank assessments of several lower-ranking officers, Jackson replied, "Ask Sandie Pendleton. If he does not know, no one does." A. Cash Koeniger observed that Pendleton was one of only a few officers, most of them "notable for their pronounced faith in God" as well as for their devotion to duty, who got along well with the notoriously irascible and judgmental general.

Jackson recommended Pendleton for promotion to captain just after the end of the Valley Campaign. Pendleton, with Jackson at the Seven Days' Battles during the summer of 1862, missed the Second Manassas Campaign in August on sick leave, but returned to duty in time for Robert E. Lee's first invasion of the North and the Battle of Antietam on September 17. After being slightly wounded at Fredericksburg in December, Pendleton was promoted to major and assistant adjutant general in the Army of Northern Virginia's new Second Corps, commanded by Jackson. He was already among the most respected staff officers in Lee's army.

Pendleton was on another part of the battlefield, and not with Jackson's party on the night of May 2, 1863, when it was accidentally fired on by Confederate pickets at Chancellorsville. Jackson was wounded and died a few days later following the amputation of his left arm. "God knows," Pendleton later told Jackson's wife Mary Anna, "I would have died for him."

10672_1064165464_1.jpg

william-nelson-pendleton.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning everyone.

Waking up about 4:30 is not good on vacation but gave me a bit of time to catch up with all of you. We have hiked and kayaked down in FL the last 2 days until we're tired and looking forward to tomorrow when just visit the beach. Today we will kayak another 7 or 8 miles. We did get to see about 10 manatees yesterday while kayaking Silver Springs. Great place.

Up and down game Wednesday but did manage to have more runs than FL and pulled it out.

After having a bear on our porch Monday night we had one get into the outside garbage can here Wed. night. We're very close to the Ocala Nat. Forest. We didn't get to see the one here.

I'll go out and watch it get daylight in a bit and enjoy the "cooler" temps. Upper 80's every day.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 54°F, cloudy with a light wind from the north. Today's high expected around 57°F.

Dealing with insomnia every night. Spoke with lead nurse yesterday about getting so little sleep. She said many patients taking steroids also complain about sleep issues.

4 more radiation treatments remain. Ole stomach hanging in there. Chowed down on some avocados earlier this AM. Lovely. Grabbed Walleye and shrimp from Culvers yesterday afternoon. Super good.

@storm1507 : sounds like a great trip. Enjoy. Last time I hiked Ocala National Forest happened back in 1980. Pretty down there.

AU Tigers visit Rupp tomorrow, 3 PM tip. Go Cats!

Happy Friday, y'all. Wishing you and yours an awesome day.

National-Tortilla-Chip-Day-February-24.jpg

Hey guys. Back with another genealogy post. It's been a big hobby of mine for a few months now. Anyway, I started my tree on ancestry a few weeks ago and have made a HUGE discovery. If you can recall I made a post on here last fall/early winter about being related to a man in the 6th Kentucky infantry CSA. William Steenbergen. Well he was related closely to Robert PENDLETON Steenbergen. My 6th great grandfather. And would be my 1st cousin.

Anyway, Robert Steenbergen's father married an Elizabeth GAINES. Of the famous Gaines family of Virginia. And her Mother was Isabelle Pendleton. (Which I'm assuming is where the Pendleton middle name came for Robert). Isabelle's brother was John C Pendleton and he had a child named Robert E Pendleton. Who then had a son named Edmund Pendleton II. Who then had a son who grew up to be a brigadier general for the Army of Northern Virginia. William Nelson Pendleton my 3rd cousin 8x removed. Who was General Lee's chief of artillery. He had a son as well.....and guess who he was? None other than the famous confederate officer Alexander Swift ''Sandie'' Pendleton....my 4th cousin 8x removed.

''Civil War Confederate Army Officer. His father was William Nelson Pendleton, a minister and future Confederate General, who settled his family in Maryland from 1844 to 1853. Educated at home and in a private school, at age 13 Alexander Pendleton enrolled in Washington College, (now Washington and Lee), at Lexington, Virginia, where his father had accepted a parish. An excellent student, he belonged to the same literary society as Thomas J. Jackson, then on the faculty of the Virginia Military Institute. Following his graduation in 1857, he taught at Washington College for two years. At that same time he enrolled at the University of Virginia to earn a Master's degree. After entering the Provisional Army of Virginia as 2nd Lieutenant in the Corps of Engineers on May 17, 1861, he left school without completing his studies. A week later he reported to Jackson, then a Colonel in the Confederate army, at Harpers Ferry. In July, Jackson requested him for his ordnance officer, and from the 19th of that month until his death he served as a capable, well-liked, and highly respected staff officer to Jackson and his successors. Historians today call him the most capable staff officer in the whole Confederate army. He enjoyed a close relationship with Jackson, whose intensely religious nature he shared. When his commission in the Virginia expired, Jackson arranged to have him appointed 1st Lieutenant in Confederate service on November 30, 1861. He served at that rank though the Shenandoah Valley Campaign of 1862, winning Jackson's approval for manning a field piece at Kernstown when he saw its gun crew killed as he returned from carrying orders to Jackson's subordinates. Again Jackson interceded on his behalf, securing for him a promotion to Captain, in June 1862. Illness kept him out of the Second Bull Run Campaign, but he returned to duty in late summer holding a temporary appointment as Assistant Adjutant General of Jackson's II Corps. Jackson depended on his ability to convey his orders clearly and concisely, in routine paperwork and under battlefield conditions. Most of Jackson's battle reports after First Bull Run were written by him, whose efficiency resulted in a promotion to Major and permanent assignment to the adjutant generalship, on December 4, 1862. The two men became almost inseparable. It was he who dressed Jackson's body for burial after his death from wounds he received at Chancellorsville, and he was one of the pallbearers at Jackson's funeral. On succeeding Jackson as commander of the II Corps, Lieutenant General Richard S. Ewell advanced him to chief of staff with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. Lieutenant General Jubal A. Early requested him for detached duty in the Shenandoah Valley in December 1863, and again the following June. On September 22, 1864, 3 days after the Third Battle of Winchester, he received a mortal gunshot wound to the abdomen at Fisher's Hill as he tried to check an advance on the Confederate front. Buried near the battlefield, his body was later exhumed and sent to his family in Lexington, Virginia. On October 24, 1864, his parents and his wife of 9 months attended his reburial near Jackson's grave. One month later his only child, a son, was born.

According to Wiley Sword's 'Confederate Invincibility', his last words were "It is God's will; I am satisfied."

Pendleton was an inspired choice Jackson prized Pendleton's intelligence, attention to detail, and boundless energy. When asked for frank assessments of several lower-ranking officers, Jackson replied, "Ask Sandie Pendleton. If he does not know, no one does." A. Cash Koeniger observed that Pendleton was one of only a few officers, most of them "notable for their pronounced faith in God" as well as for their devotion to duty, who got along well with the notoriously irascible and judgmental general.

Jackson recommended Pendleton for promotion to captain just after the end of the Valley Campaign. Pendleton, with Jackson at the Seven Days' Battles during the summer of 1862, missed the Second Manassas Campaign in August on sick leave, but returned to duty in time for Robert E. Lee's first invasion of the North and the Battle of Antietam on September 17. After being slightly wounded at Fredericksburg in December, Pendleton was promoted to major and assistant adjutant general in the Army of Northern Virginia's new Second Corps, commanded by Jackson. He was already among the most respected staff officers in Lee's army.

Pendleton was on another part of the battlefield, and not with Jackson's party on the night of May 2, 1863, when it was accidentally fired on by Confederate pickets at Chancellorsville. Jackson was wounded and died a few days later following the amputation of his left arm. "God knows," Pendleton later told Jackson's wife Mary Anna, "I would have died for him."

10672_1064165464_1.jpg

william-nelson-pendleton.jpg
A lot of begetting going on early in this post. I thought I was reading some verses of the Bible. ;) Seriously though, interesting information.

Have to admit though, had to look up irascible.

Last edited:
Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Morning D-Legionnaires!

26° this morning with the high expected to be around 32° with 25-30mph winds. A bit chilly, which is what I will probably have for lunch to warm me up.

Workout this morning, clean the house, and then veg out.

TGIF! (for those working). You folks enjoy your day and God Bless.

Last edited:
Good morning D-League.

I don't always know the photos posted by 41102, but I believe today's is the St. Charles Bridge in Prague. A really lovely site I've visited a few times. Back in the early 1990s during the Bosnian war days I had a buddy who married a Czech woman he met while working in Europe and moved there. I'd look him up on my way out of the war zone and we'd party for a few days. If anyone ever tells you there are lots of pretty women in Prague, who, at least in the 1990s when the country was not that far out of being in the Soviet sphere, loved meeting Americans, believe them.

Best not to look back, something might be gaining on you, as Satchel Paige said. But I wouldn't mind being in my early 30s in Prague again, having made it out of Bosnia with company money in my pocket.

Our temperature reached the upper 70s yesterday and is heading down to the lower 30s tonight. Low 40s right now, and sunny.

Settling into work, so I will wish you folks well.

There's going to be a lot of Senior Nights/Days next week in college basketball around the country including UK. UK has 6 (including Canada) players listed as seniors but all can come back for another year due to COVID. If a senior does come back will they get to go through the ceremony again next year?

Good Friday Morning

Currently 66° with sunny skies, clear with 3% chance of rain. The high will be 85° and a nice breeze coming off of the Gulf.

Last night's concert was superb. The Collingsworth Family are from Cincinnati, Ohio and are just beginning their Spring Tour. I have listen to and been around a lot of great piano players in my life but Kim Collingsworth can play with the best. She may be the best. Started playing at age 3. Yes 3.

Take care all,

@RunninRichie you are going to keep researching until you find out you and I are cousins. @Bert Higginbotha and I are getting close. All three of us have had ancestors walking the same paths in life so they probably shared a cup of coffee or two along the road. Speaking of coffee, I need another cup.

Last edited:
Reminds me of my first day of basic. The DI asked if anyone had any college. This one guy is jumping up and down waving his arms like an excited kid, thinking he will be important. The DI says, "Good! You are my latrine queen!"
LOL. One of my favorite moments when first addressing my platoon was to ask who had attended college. The little put down when they responded was our way of saying "we are all equal and degrees of education do not make a soldier". Sometimes it was quite the contrary. College boys asked questions and were slow to respond. They boy with an 8th grade education may have already killed the enemy.

Apologies Sir,

Been at my desk but did not have this open. He didn't say anything but looking at the picture it was pushing being half UK. (I know Florida has blue too.) My son was on the opposite side (Of course) from the picture so I imagine lots of UK people on his side as well...
I rewatched my bluray of the game last night and twice the Kentucky faithful got "Go Big Blue" going twice. That really pisses off the Gators.

Nothing like "butt dialing 911" to get the weekend off to a good start. While I was working out in the gym the Sheriff showed up ready to "engage" at my front door. They traced a 911 call from my cell phone number to my address.

My wife gave me a tongue lashing when I got home. Apparently she gets on edge when a Sheriff shows up at the front door ready to engage. Oh well., I didn't have a clue and have no idea how that happened.

On a good note the missing two year old has been found in the woods "swamps" and is safe. Over 1,000 people have been searching for him the past few days. A Marine found him and it was quite emotional. The little boy did not want to turn the man who saved him loose when the Sheriff was doing the press conference. When the Sheriff spoke about it he almost burst into tears. It has been quite a day down here. With good endings.

We may experience a record high today. 87° . Feels good.

Nothing like "butt dialing 911" to get the weekend off to a good start. While I was working out in the gym the Sheriff showed up ready to "engage" at my front door. They traced a 911 call from my cell phone number to my address.

My wife gave me a tongue lashing when I got home. Apparently she gets on edge when a Sheriff shows up at the front door ready to engage. Oh well., I didn't have a clue and have no idea how that happened.

On a good note the missing two year old has been found in the woods "swamps" and is safe. Over 1,000 people have been searching for him the past few days. A Marine found him and it was quite emotional. The little boy did not want to turn the man who saved him loose when the Sheriff was doing the press conference. When the Sheriff spoke about it he almost burst into tears. It has been quite a day down here. With good endings.

Where's Hoffa buried Sir?

Where's Hoffa buried Sir?
My guess would be the Chassahowitzka Wildlife Preserve. aka A SWAMP. It has over 34,000 acres that a man can get lost in.

Safest place to bury the evidence. Gators, bears and hogs ate his remains decades ago. If you really want to get rid of a body, try Eagles Nest Sink.

Last edited:
Florida always lies about attendance, just like Duke.

In that photo you can nearly come up with 20% of the difference between capacity and announced attendance. In that one section, and those are good seats, in the picture there were 90 empty seats.

I beat you that the turnstile count was less than 7500.
Bert, I don't care if it was 2000. Just trying to answer SC's question with data I could find. You don't buy the data. OK, fine.

There's always some a-hole trying to get a man in trouble with the cops.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 49°F and cloudy. We may reach 66°F for our high today.

Laid down, but only slept a few hours. Doggone steroids. Sirens going off outside no help. May try an extended hike later today before the game. Stomach still holds up well. Got a little queasy after yesterday's radiation blast, but recovered enough to pig out on Arby's.

Bruce Pearl and Auburn visit Rupp today. AU Tigers also 19-9 on the season. Looking forward to a good contest. CBS broadcasting the game. Go Cats! Finish strong and take care of business.

Wishing y'all an awesome Saturday.

maxresdefault.jpg

There's always some a-hole trying to get a man in trouble with the cops.
I called the Sheriff's office and apologized for the "false alarm". The lady that answered laughed and said this happens multiple times a day.

The crazy thing is my phone was in my truck when the call was recorded and I was inside the gym working out. I think my phone has demons in it. Several times it has started playing music while sitting on my desk.

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Morning D-Legionnaires!

28° this morning with a high of 45° expected and moderate winds.

Two coffees down and will hit the shop for a workout after walking the monster in an hour when daylight hits. Will use the walk as a warmup. When we were walking the other day, we went behind our housing area to an open field. The field had some tall brown weeds/grass and after a short time we jumped up a rabbit and she started bouncing up over some of the taller weeds we were walking through to see where it went. It was funny to see this 120lb plus dog bouncing like a gazelle. It took a bit of strength to keep her from pulling me along after the rabbit. No way she could have caught it, but she wanted to try.

@AustinTXCat I have not had an Arby's fish in a long time, but now I want one. The power of suggestion.

Well folks, it is game day so let's hope for another win.

GO CATS!
Game-day.gif

Good Saturday Morning D

62° this morning with a high of 85° this afternoon with plenty of sunshine. A very pleasant 85° with little humidity compared to July and August.

Should be a fun day today. i belong to a Pioneer Heritage group in Largo, FL that is open to all families who had ancestors in the area in the 1800's. The Original "Crackers" who were ranchers and citrus growers. A fun time with plenty of memories, fun and good food. A traditional meal is served which defines the heritage. Chicken and rice, black eye peas, collard greens, cornbread and banana pudding. And plenty of sweet tea. Worth the trip.

It will conclude just in time for the game with Auburn. I am expecting a win today and a move up in the NCAA bracket seeding. Cats by 7

Take care all,

This is a picture of my g-grandfathers packing house and the shipping label for the fruit.

iu

168994_151552491564502_360401_n.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT