ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

One of the few liquors I've never experienced. Absinthe.
images

Hey D-Ler's. I had a great weekend back in StL last weekend. The Golf team that I was on came in second which was pretty impressive knowing the cheating that was going on. :)

Anyway, keep an eye on the skies the next few days/nights...I heard there may be some weird stuff going on. Anywho...👽👽👽

Weird stuff going on here too...

"Here I stand"... (Catch that reference...........if you can! I gave a clue!)

3901-17255.gif

So walk out of the bridge club tonight at 945 & standing on the roof of the car right outside under the safety spotlight is a great horned owl! We were within about 15'. Just gorgeous all light up and flicking his head around. And big. Five more people came out & he took off before we could get a photo. Never knew they'd stand around that low or would tolerate people for 20-30 sec. A just wow moment.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 52°F, clear and calm. Today's high maxing out around 86°F. Rain chances improving for next Monday.

Heading into the office this morning. They are re-imaging my work laptop this because my OS came down on a list. Should not take more than 2 hours. Providing me with a loaner.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

National-Chicken-and-Waffles-Day-October-20.png

Good morning all,

My Darling and I are hanging a shingle again. Going fishing. It is cold and only getting in the 50's today but we are going to try. Heading to Maryland again to the other naval base. Patuxent River MD. We shall see. More for fishing this trip. There is supposed to be three fishing spots on that base.....

Have a great day.

Good morning D-League.

Cool and clear again today.

I see the Astros got a jump on the Yankees and the Padres have evened things with the Phillies.

I confess I’m struggling to care. Baseball was a big part of my life, not just as a kid but as a young adult. I feel like I barely recognize the game now. I wonder if younger people have the same fanatical enthusiasm I once did. I know the crowds are bigger than ever in many cities.

I saw a box score from one of the Yankees-Indians games the other day. (Sorry, they are not the Guardians to me.) 18 pitchers were used between the teams. Bizarre. I once saw Jim Maloney and Bob Veale both on the mound through 12 innings of a game that ended 1-0.

Enough old man rant. I hope you all are doing well. Looking forward to the weekend -Blue-White game and a day with my lovely daughter through haunted scenery.

Morning Legionnaires!

44° this morning with a high around 80°, moderate winds, and sunny skies. Will cut the grass tomorrow for the last time this year, I am sure. Supposed to be around 90° tomorrow with low 90's for Saturday. Fishing will happen Saturday and maybe tomorrow if I feel like it after cutting the grass.

Working out here shortly and then later this morning, off to do the Mr. Miyagi thing. Vegged out yesterday for the most part except for replacing the 2 lift cylinders on the rear hatch of my hooptie (2006 KIA Sportage). Watched a couple of videos on it (for reference) to make sure I was doing it right and found out (once again) that people making some of these videos out there really aren't experts (nor am I which is why I watched videos). While the way they did it would work, they made it a little more difficult than it needed to be.

Hey D-Ler's. I had a great weekend back in StL last weekend. The Golf team that I was on came in second which was pretty impressive knowing the cheating that was going on. :)

Anyway, keep an eye on the skies the next few days/nights...I heard there may be some weird stuff going on. Anywho...👽👽👽
Now that my sister/BIL are back in town I miss our yearly trips to St. Louis.

Good morning D-League.

Cool and clear again today.

I see the Astros got a jump on the Yankees and the Padres have evened things with the Phillies.

I confess I’m struggling to care. Baseball was a big part of my life, not just as a kid but as a young adult. I feel like I barely recognize the game now. I wonder if younger people have the same fanatical enthusiasm I once did. I know the crowds are bigger than ever in many cities.

I saw a box score from one of the Yankees-Indians games the other day. (Sorry, they are not the Guardians to me.) 18 pitchers were used between the teams. Bizarre. I once saw Jim Maloney and Bob Veale both on the mound through 12 innings of a game that ended 1-0.

Enough old man rant. I hope you all are doing well. Looking forward to the weekend -Blue-White game and a day with my lovely daughter through haunted scenery.
Pitching is one reason I lost all interest in major league baseball. When they remove a pitcher who is pitching a no hitter, they lost me. I would never jerk a player out if he had given up zero hits.

I watched Don Larsen pitch a perfect game on TV and could not imagine Casey Stengel removing him because he pitched so many pitches. Back in those days students would gather in the gym and watch the World Series on TV, it was that big of a deal.

Last edited:
Living up to my usual abilities at house maintenance, I was replacing a burned out bulb inside a 6" glass globe & managed to break the globe. Looked for replacement online & saw $15 & up. So went to the HD for one. They didn't have any globes. BUT, they had a fixture with globe for $12. So now I have a spare fixture with no globe and no place to use it.

Pitching is one reason I lost all interest in major league baseball. When they remove a pitcher who is pitching a no hitter, they lost me. I would never jerk a player out if he had given up zero hits.

I watched Don Larsen pitch a perfect game on TV and could not imagine Casey Stengel removing him because he pitched so many pitches. Back in those days students would gather in the gym and watch the World Series on TV, it was that big of a deal.
I remember going to the gym and they would have 3 17" black and white TV's going so we could see it. If you did not have x-ray vision you saw nothing, but the sound was enough.

Those days are long gone.

Kids now would demand a jumbotron.

Living up to my usual abilities at house maintenance, I was replacing a burned out bulb inside a 6" glass globe & managed to break the globe. Looked for replacement online & saw $15 & up. So went to the HD for one. They didn't have any globes. BUT, they had a fixture with globe for $12. So now I have a spare fixture with no globe and no place to use it.
Yep, that is the way it works!

I wonder how many times I have done the exact same thing.

Now:

next week your wife will be beating on you to get rid of the damned spare fixture with no globe!

Yep, that is the way it works!

I wonder how many times I have done the exact same thing.

Now:

next week your wife will be beating on you to get rid of the damned spare fixture with no globe!
She already told me she's taking it to the nearby St. Vincent de Paul outlet store. A bare bulb would probably work for somebody. I'll mail it if you want it. You seem to be in need.

Diving into my grandmothers maiden name (Wyatt) tonight and found some pretty crazy stuff regarding the civil war.

First up we have 3 Wyatt boys who served in the 8th North Carolina (we all came from NC and then spread out to KY, TN, and VA)
The one on the left and center were killed in action at Fort Wagner (Yes, from the movie glory). The last one on the right was at the bloody siege of petersburg, Cold Harbor, and Bentonville opposing Sherman's march to the sea and survived the war. Tough SOB. Very proud of my Wyatt heritage.

"Private Gilbert Ivy Wyatt, a member of Company K (Captain Kennerly's Co,) 8th North Carolina Troops, was killed at Battery Wagner on August 28, 1863. His obituary reads, "He was shot in the eye by a minnie ball." Wyatt is buried in the Confederate section of Magnolia Cemetery in Charleston, SC. His muster roll shows that he enrolled at Salisbur, NC at 32 years of age for active service on July 6, 1861, and entered the North Carolina Troops at Camp Macon in Warren County, NC, September 14. The native of Davidson County, had been captured earlier in the war by General A.E. Burnsides' forces at Roanoke Island on February 8, 1862 and released "on parolent" at Elizabeth City, NC on February 21 of the same year. Eve Ann Ludwick, his wife, and two small children survived him. - Tim Bradshaw, author, "Battery Wagner, The Siege, The Men Who Fought, and The Casualties" (1993)"

20897136_128811065219.jpg

After that I have 3 more Wyatt Boys, all 3 in the 23rd North Carolina Infantry.
"
William Wesley Wyatt, from Rowan County, North Carolina, was the second son of Noah and Polly Wyatt. He was born in late 1830 or early 1831, since his age was 19 in the US Census record of July 1850, and 29 in the US Census of 1860 for Rowan County. He married Mary Buchanan in Rowan County on 24 June 1858, and they had two sons: John Calvin (born 1859), and James Noah (born 1861).

He enlisted in Company H, 23rd North Carolina Infantry Regiment, on 4 Sep 1862. He was wounded in the back and arm, and was captured, at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, on 1 July 1863. He died of his wounds on 20 July 1863."

Notice the 3 Wyatts? These men would be my Uncles and Cousins.
BookReaderImages.php

cmlnLmpwZz8w

Last edited:
Good morning from ATX. Currently 59°F, clear with light wind. Today's high expected around 88°F.

Work laptop smoothly operating again. Installing everything all over again is like repairing a car wreck.

No Wildcat football tomorrow. Bah!

Happy Friday, yall.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

National-Pumpkin-Cheesecake-Day.jpg

Good morning D League. Glad it is Friday.

It’s a promising weekend for me and also a bit of a trying one.

I’ve mentioned the Saturday I have planned with my daughter. Before and after that, we have house guests who will be here from about noon today through Tuesday —basically a college friend of my wife’s and her husband crashing with us while they do some business in DC and seek out a house for a relocation to this area from Atlanta.

The problem is, I’ve met the woman maybe twice in 30 years and never met the husband. And because of critical workplace requirements for my wife I have to endure them alone much of the next three days.

if you knew me, you’d know this is not a skill set I have, nor am I an extrovert who likes being thrust into social roles. Ah well, I’ll survive.

No way I’m letting it get in the way of my trip with my daughter through the Shenandoah tomorrow. So, good times ahead.

I hope you all have a good day.

Good morning D-League. It's currently 34° and clear here in Eastern Kentucky. This afternoon will bring mostly sunny skies and a high of 68°.

Everyone stay safe on this Friday.

bigstock-134510309.jpg
Nice photo 41102. Reminds me of exactly this time last year when my wife and I were in the Smokey Mountains seeing things very like this. Hope to get at least a taste of that in the hills of Virginia and West Virginia tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT