ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Uhmmmmm, cupcakes.

Homer-Simpson-Drooling-2.gif

Good Sunday Morning D

We desperately need rain.
A Low pressure system crossing the continental divide today should help you with this.
Good morning from ATX. Currently 74°F and cloudy. Today's high forecast at 91°F. Front moving in bringing cooler temperatures and much-needed rain. We're in a drought, running about 10 inches below average for the year.

Ever since I got old enough to realize there was this prejudice against people like me -- poor protestant country kids -- by these upper-middle class preppy Catholic kids who went to the private schools in Cincinnati -- and all worshipped Notre Dame -- I've hated them. Disclaimer here - my wife and most of my best friends in life are Catholic. I'm talking about a very specific class at a particular time and place.

It's almost like hating Indiana now -- overkill because it has been so long since they really mattered - IU last won it all in 1987, ND in 1988.

But those youthful prejudices hang on and die hard.
I was raised by puritan Babdists who taught me the scriptures so I wouldn't go to hell. The quieter family Crossbacks taught me the teachings of Ignatius of Loyola . . . to decern the the truth so that through knowledge of life I might understand the nature of God. I found Father Altman when he was cancelled. I'm still not a Catholic but I sure like that guy. For some reason, I got to attend Notre Dame games whenever they came to town.​

Last edited:
One of those deceptive stats reporters love, I’d guess. Probably includes mostly first two games of season for past six seasons against cupcakes while team settles in.
Actually I looked it up. Such was the case in 2016, but not other seasons. 10+ penalty games since 2016 with a W:

2016: New Mexico State, Austin Peay
2018: Florida, South Carolina
2019: Vandy
2020: Vandy, NC State (bowl game)
2022: Youngstown State, Mississippi State

Crazy.

Pictured below are all of the people at the black belt testing last night. The man kneeling in the front in the white gi is my instructor and I am in the back center in a white gi. All of the others are from that school we helped test except one man who flew in from Cleveland. The tall guy by me is the son of the man who cracked my ribs many years ago while we were sparring. His dad is as big as him. The guy next to the girl by me is the one who got his nose broke by the big guy and the boy (14 years old) next to him is the one they had to pick up off of the floor from getting the wind knocked out of him. His father (the schools Sensi) is on the far right as you look at the picture.

IMG-1279.jpg

Pictured below are all of the people at the black belt testing last night. The man kneeling in the front in the white gi is my instructor and I am in the back center in a white gi. All of the others are from that school we helped test except one man who flew in from Cleveland. The tall guy by me is the son of the man who cracked my ribs many years ago while we were sparring. His dad is as big as him. The guy next to the girl by me is the one who got his nose broke by the big guy and the boy (14 years old) next to him is the one they had to pick up off of the floor from getting the wind knocked out of him. His father (the schools Sensi) is on the far right as you look at the picture.

IMG-1279.jpg

Cool stuff...thanks. I had my nose broke four times. Three times boxing and once while playing a heated game of baseball. (I kind of approached the game like Pete but without the skills of Pete but in the leagues I played I could play. Two years of legion ball.)

Cool stuff...thanks. I had my nose broke four times. Three times boxing and once while playing a heated game of baseball. (I kind of approached the game like Pete but without the skills of Pete but in the leagues I played I could play. Two years of legion ball.)
I had mine broke twice. Once from a head butt from one of my soldiers in a basketball game (purposely) and the second time from an elbow of another one of my soldiers a little over a month later in a volleyball game. The head but resulted in a fight between us which ended the basketball game.

Pretty good football weekend for Northern Kentuckians -Cats win, Bengals win late, Ravens lose late, Browns lose, Notre Dame loses at home to a terrible team. Would have been nice for the Steelers to lose, but close enough to a clean sweep.
Yep, a Cats win, a Bengals win, and a UL loss is my normal trifecta for a good weekend. UL had an off week so...I will take the other two for this past weekend.

Got restrictions on your drivers license and then have corrective eye surgery? Be sure to have your license changed to reflect that. Got stopped over the weekend and State Trooper wasn’t happy. Never crossed my mind to do that. Got pulled over in the scales in Indiana on way to Chicago to make delivery.

Got restrictions on your drivers license and then have corrective eye surgery? Be sure to have your license changed to reflect that. Got stopped over the weekend and State Trooper wasn’t happy. Never crossed my mind to do that. Got pulled over in the scales in Indiana on way to Chicago to make delivery.
My Dad just had cataract surgery last week. I'm assuming this would apply. I'll let him know. Thanks for the heads up.

Sunny and 46.9°F. We are going to 55° then it plunges down to 29 and climbs up to 51°. No rain in sight. We are really dry.

Well Kentucky is now ranked 19 (AP) and 18 (Coaches), we moved up and Mississippi State got to remain in the polls at 24 in both.

I hope that this does not come off as bitching: How is Utah 15? Unranked Florida beat them. They beat USC but lost to UCLA. Utah was the only ranked team that USC has played, yet they are still ranked number 12. Plus we all know that the West coast teams are wonderful until they play a team in a decent conference.

BYU was near the top ten until they played a couple decent teams, like Oregon and Arkansas. Notre Dame last week was bragging about beating BYU. Power house Cincinnati has played one decent team, Arkansas, and lost to them yet they still are in the rankings. Arkansas only got a couple votes.

I will not address the ACC, what a crap show.

It is a tough place to play but I am sure glad that UK is in the SEC. We have the best conference known to College football and it ain't even close.

Sunny and 46.9°F. We are going to 55° then it plunges down to 29 and climbs up to 51°. No rain in sight. We are really dry.

Well Kentucky is now ranked 19 (AP) and 18 (Coaches), we moved up and Mississippi State got to remain in the polls at 24 in both.

I hope that this does not come off as bitching: How is Utah 15? Unranked Florida beat them. They beat USC but lost to UCLA. Utah was the only ranked team that USC has played, yet they are still ranked number 12. Plus we all know that the West coast teams are wonderful until they play a team in a decent conference.

BYU was near the top ten until they played a couple decent teams, like Oregon and Arkansas. Notre Dame last week was bragging about beating BYU. Power house Cincinnati has played one decent team, Arkansas, and lost to them yet they still are in the rankings. Arkansas only got a couple votes.

It is a tough place to play but I am sure glad that UK is in the SEC. We have the best conference known to College football and it ain't even close.
You got that right Bert, and the SEC today is probably stronger than any conference has ever been in history. Four of the Top Seven. A quarter of the Top 25 -- and teams outside the Top 25 like Arkansas, Texas A&M and others that could probably win the PAC-12 and maybe the Big-12 and finish in the top two of the ACC.

Pretty good football weekend for Northern Kentuckians -Cats win, Bengals win late, Ravens lose late, Browns lose, Notre Dame loses at home to a terrible team. Would have been nice for the Steelers to lose, but close enough to a clean sweep.
Well, in addition, granddaughter's Purdue won - I was at that game & spent the evening scoreboard watching though it was a fun game, and true football - they use their feet a lot - FCC won thier MLS playoff game.

Good afternoon all,

I was up and to work early. I am only working through Wednesday this week and my work doesn't go away ...

I walked to the microwave to warm my coffee this morning and one of my coworkers was wearing a UT orange pullover. He's a decent guy so far but I laughed out loud only due to the fact with his build he looked like a jack-o'-lantern. He was a happy jack-o'-lantern though....

Sure was some vocal angst in a couple areas of my building though...

I have been thinking about eye surgery....just thinking. My reading is getting rough but it is not horrible. Distance is okay.

I have some eye pills I saw that I am going to try a bottle. Who knows... I didn't see any bad ingredients.

Sure wish I had my vision I had before I turned 40..... My brother is 71 and has no visual issues. I am thankful but will keep trying to thwart the bad eyesight....

You're just speaking the truth Bert. If UK was in the ACC, they'd be in ACC Championship most likely. There's no way they're not better than UNC, Syracuse, or Wake Forest. On the other hand, UK is most likely looking at being the 3rd best team in the SEC East.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 57°F, a bit windy and partly cloudy. Today's high expected around 70°F. Fall finally here in Central Texas! Cold front moved through. Wearing long pants for first time since April while out walking this morning.

Local news just reported Dallas-area Fentanyl overdoses up 500% since 2019. Yikes! It appears we've got a serious epidemic going on.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

Chocolate-Cupcake-Day.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

41° this morning with the high expected around 60. Whooo! Hoooo! I'll take it for a day or so then back up into the 80's for a week. Looking forward to the cooler weather even though it is only a couple of days. Fishing will be thrown off but, when it warms up for the days following, I will be back on track.

Wife bought two turkeys on Friday (.68 a pound) with the intent to keep one frozen until just before Thanksgiving and the other to be cooked this weekend. Figured while they were under a dollar it was best to get them now. I love turkey so; I am good with it. With prices still going up we must take advantage of the prices now.

My mortgage went up $195.00 more for next month. All of the increase was in the tax and insurance area. Biggest increase ever by far so, I will be on the phone with the mortgage company sometime today and ask why such a large increase. Hopefully they are not gouging because of the current inflation problems.

At any rate, Thanks Joe Biden!

Rant over.

Good morning D-League.

this is guessing weather. Do I need a sweater? Fleece? Heavy coat? I guessed nothing today and was wrong. Medium jacket would have been correct.

Still, clear and beautiful.

Really feeling like basketball season.

Looking forward to this weekend. My middle daughter and I are planning our annual Halloween tour of the Shenandoah Valley -see the changing leaves along the Appalachian Trail then take in some of the fun, spooky history. All the 17th and 18th century towns up there are steeped in ghost stories. It’s no random thing they set the Blair Witch movie in the small town of Burkittsville at the foot of South Mountain. She’s going to book us a ghost tour or two.

Gotta grind out the rest of this week first. Hope it’s a good day for all.

I recently found out the Old Home Place, the house I was taken to after my birth, may still be standing. Well, the wood from it that is.

This old house was built by my grandpa in the early 1900's and was torn down after he died and the farm/ranch divided up and developed. The man who tore it down took the wood and build another house a few miles away. The wood was cypress and pretty much lasts forever. The man's grandson is one of my best friends and he will help me try to locate it. It is located somewhere between Largo - Clearwater but that area is solid development now.

If I can locate the house it will be a big deal to me. And it gives me something to do.

167077_151921864860898_7453932_n.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT