ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

FR, I am from Central City here in the Berg, North always had a good team. Who did you play for? I remember the night Patrick scored I think it was 71, was listening to it on the radio, they were saying by the time the game was over that the gym was packed, because people were listening and going to the school to see the game!!! I read a lot of your posts, I am a Cardinal fan to, I go back to Musial!!!! I remember the Gibson, Boyer gang. I also remember Larry Jaster one year, I think he pitched like 6 shutouts in one season against the Dodgers. I could be wrong, Mrs. M says I am!!!!!

Musial, Gibson, and Boyer were before my time. Heard a lot of stories about them from my Dad. Back when I was a kid, they weren't on tv much, use to ride around with Dad with Jack Buck on the radio a lot. That was the Ozzie, Willie McGee, Vince Coleman, Whitey Herzog days...we use to go up to St. Louis 2 weekends a summer for a series when I was young.

Always really enjoyed listening to Gibson when they interviewed him over the years on tv. I was always a big history guy, so anything I could watch or read about Musial and those guys I did. I hope you are getting to watch them this year, great mix of guys about to retire and really exciting young players. Plus, Goldschmidt is having his best season with the Cards. Actually having a monster season so far: extending his hitting streak tonight to 22 or 23 games, batting .356 on the year.

Cord, I played against Sparks. I don't want to talk about that...bad memories hahaha

Last edited:
Good morning from ATX. Currently 78°F and cloudy. Humid. Getting a light sprinkle as I type this. Few drops. Today's high expected around 93°F. Weatherman said last night our area just experienced the highest average monthly temperature for month of May on record. Dog days of summer already upon us. Hope we receive more rain soon.

New Greyhound bus station began operation yesterday. Much further away than former location. Bah!

Happy Hump Day. Back in the office tomorrow.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

hqdefault.jpg

Never - NEVER - read Rafters on a rattling subway car.

I could have sworn I just read that Jacob Toppin was retiring from basketball and that Jerry Tipton was vowing to return to take care of unfinished business.

I hadn't heard anything about either of them until I read your post, so I had to get caught up on the basketball news. I'm a big Toppin fan, he can guard anyone on the floor...maybe doesn't do any one thing great, but he does everything well. He had a good first half against St. Peter's and Cal sit him pretty much the whole second half for reasons I don't understand. Always have wanted Cal to play him more.

Jerry Tipton...ugghhh. Zero respect for that guy. You know when Kelenna Azubuike was at UK...that was back when I bought and read newspapers daily...Tipton on many occasions made sure everyone knew about Azubuike's fathers legal or criminal issues. It really had nothing to do with the team, there was no purpose for it...his dad didn't live locally around Lexington. Why was a sports writer constantly bringing it up? It was like he was going out of his way to embarrass the kid, I found it bizarre but that was Tipton.

I have had every one of them. As I counted 42. Many times for each. Liver mush is to die for. It is a Western North Carolina delicacy and also found in South Carolina in Up State. We lived in Valdese, NC a few years and it was a huge breakfast food. Mama fried it for breakfast but it was also a good supper food. My favorite brand is Jenkins. Unfortunately we do not get it in Florida but I have friends in Hickory, NC that send it down to me when I want some. I love the stuff. Shelby, NC is famous for it and even have a Liver Mush Festival

R.d60b81c76d93b7258e2710cb148d4983

Fry it up like Spam

Liver_Mush-scaled.jpg
The finished product looks good.

Morning D-Legionnaires!

Much rain, high winds, and tornado watches last night just before and after midnight. More rain expected today with highs in the upper 70's.

Got to play both games last night before the rain came in. Used the new bat and it felt good as I went 5-9 overall with two of the 4 times I did not get on base very hard hit line drives right at the shortstop. We lost the first game but managed to salvage the night by winning the second. Should not have lost the first one as it was to a team that was winless so far this year. Our team played like we were supposed to win without trying. The team we did beat is tied for first in our league so...Sound familiar?

I turned a single into a triple (first game) as there was a runner at second when I hit the ball and he went for the score. Knowing the outfielder would try and showcase his arm by throwing home and not keep the split I did not slow down rounding first. His throw was offline, and the ball careened around the backstop going up the third base line. The guy playing third went to get the loose ball and the shortstop did not cover. I did not slow down seeing this and rounded for third. He got the ball and ran back to try and tag me out. Doing the Pete Rose dive into third he did not get the tag in on time. My teammates started laughing saying: "What are you doing old man?" Are you trying to hurt yourself?" I said: "No, I am trying to win." Did get a bruise and some scrapes on my left forearm but, not bad. Enjoyed the night regardless.

Well, wife just left for work and my shop dojo is calling for my workout. Will be a light one this morning since I did not get back until around 23:00 last night just before the rain started and two cups of coffee can only do so much to get me going when tired.

Enjoy your day folks.

It is a sunny 68.2°F and we are supposed to get to 90.

Jerry Tipton should not be allowed in the building where UK is playing. He is a total turd.
I certainly agree. He is the main reason I cancelled by mail subscription to the Lexington Herald way back before internet. I was a hack and tried everything in his power to destroy the basketball program. And he started his first day on the job.

I often think he was hired to do just that. The local Lexington paper has been anti-UK athletics for many years

Hello,
I have been monitoring my health to watch my breathing, concerned about the ticker (Really CAD as I have been told a while ago I had some build up of plaque but changed a lot.). (No reason I know of, just being cautious.) My Dad or my Maternal Grandpa never had any issues and I have had a nuclear stress test a couple years ago. I still dress out at 220 which is about 15 pounds more than I think I should weigh. (Forget that BMI chart crap, that is just stupid. I could weigh 143 and be considered very healthy and I doubt I weigh 143 a year after they put me in the ground.)

In any event when we went crabbing the BB got lazy and wanted me to carry him on my back. From our car to the pier we crab is nearly a half mile lacking about 500 feet. I carried him on my back to the pier. A while later he had to do his business but there are no facilities so, I put him on my back and then carried him on my shoulders back to the car so he could hide better, then I carried him back again. (Three trips with a 38 pound BB on my shoulders or back and I didn't get to deep breathing and I stepped up my pace on purpose.) I am thankful...

Morning D-Legionnaires!

Much rain, high winds, and tornado watches last night just before and after midnight. More rain expected today with highs in the upper 70's.

Got to play both games last night before the rain came in. Used the new bat and it felt good as I went 5-9 overall with two of the 4 times I did not get on base very hard hit line drives right at the shortstop. We lost the first game but managed to salvage the night by winning the second. Should not have lost the first one as it was to a team that was winless so far this year. Our team played like we were supposed to win without trying. The team we did beat is tied for first in our league so...Sound familiar?

I turned a single into a triple (first game) as there was a runner at second when I hit the ball and he went for the score. Knowing the outfielder would try and showcase his arm by throwing home and not keep the split I did not slow down rounding first. His throw was offline, and the ball careened around the backstop going up the third base line. The guy playing third went to get the loose ball and the shortstop did not cover. I did not slow down seeing this and rounded for third. He got the ball and ran back to try and tag me out. Doing the Pete Rose dive into third he did not get the tag in on time. My teammates started laughing saying: "What are you doing old man?" Are you trying to hurt yourself?" I said: "No, I am trying to win." Did get a bruise and some scrapes on my left forearm but, not bad. Enjoyed the night regardless.

Well, wife just left for work and my shop dojo is calling for my workout. Will be a light one this morning since I did not get back until around 23:00 last night just before the rain started and two cups of coffee can only do so much to get me going when tired.

Enjoy your day folks.

He was hoofing it... 😁 (I never had the luxury of being fleet-footed. I was a plodder at best. I did run road guard in the Army some so I have that to remember..)

Musial, Gibson, and Boyer were before my time. Heard a lot of stories about them from my Dad. Back when I was a kid, they weren't on tv much, use to ride around with Dad with Jack Buck on the radio a lot. That was the Ozzie, Willie McGee, Vince Coleman, Whitey Herzog days...we use to go up to St. Louis 2 weekends a summer for a series when I was young.

Always really enjoyed listening to Gibson when they interviewed him over the years on tv. I was always a big history guy, so anything I could watch or read about Musial and those guys I did. I hope you are getting to watch them this year, great mix of guys about to retire and really exciting young players. Plus, Goldschmidt is having his best season with the Cards. Actually having a monster season so far: extending his hitting streak tonight to 22 or 23 games, batting .356 on the year.

Cord, I played against Sparks. I don't want to talk about that...bad memories hahaha
You mentioned one of my boyhood heroes, Stan Musial. Out of high school my father played semi-pro baseball for a coal company in Pike Co, KY and just across the river was Williamson, West Virginia. The St Louis Cardinals had a Class D minor league team in Williamson called the Red Birds. Stan was a rookie on that team in 1938 and Dad played an exhibition game against them. He got an extra base hit off of him.

Stan Musial was still in high school when he pitched for Williamson. But after a few months in the minors Stan The Man showed he could hit and his was switched to the outfield. The rest is history and he is now among the immortals. I really enjoyed watching Stan Musial. He had a very unique batting stance unlike any batter ever. Notice the feet close together.

stan-musial-signed-photo-818.jpg

You mentioned one of my boyhood heroes, Stan Musial. Out of high school my father played semi-pro baseball for a coal company in Pike Co, KY and just across the river was Williamson, West Virginia. The St Louis Cardinals had a Class D minor league team in Williamson called the Red Birds. Stan was a rookie on that team in 1938 and Dad played an exhibition game against them. He got an extra base hit off of him.

Stan Musial was still in high school when he pitched for Williamson. But after a few months in the minors Stan The Man showed he could hit and his was switched to the outfield. The rest is history and he is now among the immortals. I really enjoyed watching Stan Musial. He had a very unique batting stance unlike any batter ever. Notice the feet close together.

I love the road grays from the 1950s and early 1960s. To me. that's when the "look" and feel of baseball reached its peak. The teams I saw come into Crosley in those days all had a clean, distinctive identity - Cubs, Cards, Dodgers, Giants, Braves and so on. Here's one of my boyhood idols in Cincy's road grays.

I love the road grays from the 1950s and early 1960s. To me. that's when the "look" and feel of baseball reached its peak. The teams I saw come into Crosley in those days all had a clean, distinctive feel. Here's one of my boyhood idols in Cincy's road grays.
Frankie would drop that bat over his right shoulder before swinging away. He was another classic for the ages. I agree with you on the old style uniforms.

Today's mult-colors look like soft ball teams did in the 1950 and 60's. Give me home white and road gray too.

Good Morning all,

Enjoy your day. (A start to doing that is don't drive, or at least don't stop at a gas station.)

I want some biscuits but that will have to wait until at least Friday. Coffee awaits...
Today marks the official start of "Hurricane Season". It will last through October. I listened to a special on it today on the radio and a survey taken said 48% of Floridians would NOT evacuate if ordered because of gas prices. Today it is at an all time record of $4.57 for regular. Our vehicles run on "high test" and that is over $5.00 a gallon. We might start using a cheaper grade. LOL. I am in the Evacuation Zone but have not and I will not leave. Gas or no gas. I know and I accept the risk in staying.

The advice was to start a special savings account to pay for gasoline if you are ordered to evacuate. Then you will be ready. But I question why would I have to do that? There is no reason for these high prices unless that is the government's plan. Just open up the pipelines and open the wells in Alaska again and gas prices will come down. But that is not the plan and Biden is in a fog. So we pay or stay home.

AdobeStock_122915357-1-e1654079227339.jpeg

He was hoofing it... 😁 (I never had the luxury of being fleet-footed. I was a plodder at best. I did run road guard in the Army some so I have that to remember..)
Well, I am not fleet of foot, but for 64 I do better than most my age. I just watch and generally try to anticipate what the fielder will do and then make a quick decision to stay or go. It worked out last night.

Obviously I am not working out right now. Went out to the shop started to stretch and decided I was still too tired. Maybe after lunch. Decided to eat breakfast (piece of banana cake and milk) and settle into the couch.

Last edited:
Today marks the official start of "Hurricane Season". It will last through October. I listened to a special on it today on the radio and a survey taken said 48% of Floridians would NOT evacuate if ordered because of gas prices. Today it is at an all time record of $4.57 for regular. Our vehicles run on "high test" and that is over $5.00 a gallon. We might start using a cheaper grade. LOL. I am in the Evacuation Zone but have not and I will not leave. Gas or no gas. I know and I accept the risk in staying.

The advice was to start a special savings account to pay for gasoline if you are ordered to evacuate. Then you will be ready. But I question why would I have to do that? There is no reason for these high prices unless that is the government's plan. Just open up the pipelines and open the wells in Alaska again and gas prices will come down. But that is not the plan and Biden is in a fog. So we pay or stay home.

Sir,

Let no one tell you what is happening now is not PURE Communism. It is being done on purpose. Two to three hundred people at most are causing all of this... Pure personal greed is causing those who know better to allow it. This country is being sold out for lucre...

Morning D-Legionnaires!

I turned a single into a triple (first game) as there was a runner at second when I hit the ball and he went for the score. Knowing the outfielder would try and showcase his arm by throwing home and not keep the split I did not slow down rounding first. His throw was offline, and the ball careened around the backstop going up the third base line. The guy playing third went to get the loose ball and the shortstop did not cover. I did not slow down seeing this and rounded for third. He got the ball and ran back to try and tag me out. Doing the Pete Rose dive into third he did not get the tag in on time.
That there a sure hammy pull for me at 74.

That Pacific storm that hit Mex may be reorganizing in Gulf & head you way.

That there a sure hammy pull for me at 74.
Probably would be for most 64 year olds as well however, stretching for martial arts training and strength training 5-6 days a week helps keep the injuries down. My problem in recent years has been my Achilles tendons. I still don't run full out most games fearing re-injury but, as long as I can still get around the bases I am good.

Morning D-Legionnaires!

Enjoy your day folks.
Nothing irritates me more in a game than people who do not do what they are supposed to do. All it takes is a little effort to play smart and back up a play or take the extra base when an opponent screws up. It takes no skill, only a little effort to do the right thing. I love Harrison Bader of the Cardinals because he is always putting in the effort to do the right thing.

Good morning, D, read Revelation 11 this morning.

Not a lot going on today, still arrowhead hunting, went out for a couple hours yesterday. There were a couple guys out in the fields yesterday, it was like someone deer hunting where you do, but nothing we can do about it, I guess they have permission too!

I hope the D, has a great day and prayers for the D!!!!

WC, a lot of kids today couldn't run from first to third! First, they would be like what's first to third, then they would ask for directions!!!!!

FR, what school did you play for?

Stan played the outfield between starts as a pitcher. While making a diving outfield play, Stan hurt his pitching shoulder. With a wife and new born, Stan decided to quit baseball, go home and work in the coal mines. His manager Dickie Kerr (one of the few heros of the Black Sox scandal) took Stan and family into his own home and talked Stan into staying in baseball and making it as an outfielder. Years later, Kerr had fallen on hard times. Quietly and with out the press knowing, Stan bought Mr and Mrs Kerr a new home.

I am glad I was born here. I am glad I get to brag about Kentucky stuff. Most of my ancestors moved to this part of Kentucky to claim land from fighting in the Revolution (12 of them).

The first to stake a claim was John Elmore my third great grandfather. He did that in 1784 while Kentucky was still counties of Virginia. The area from Munfordsville, south of the green river to the North Carolina border and west to the Barren River (roughly Bowling Green) were set aside for the Virginia Patriots. John's property is now on the Barren and Warren County line about three miles from where I live. (My mom was an Elmore).

Here is his warrant (I have shared it before). Note that he got his warrant on February 11 1984 and the Revolution was over September 3, 1783. At the time this part of Kentucky was Shawnee Indian territory.
181d7362-97f5-4e5f-89d0-a2a9d44e12b3.jpg

Probably would be for most 64 year olds as well however, stretching for martial arts training and strength training 5-6 days a week helps keep the injuries down. My problem in recent years has been my Achilles tendons. I still don't run full out most games fearing re-injury but, as long as I can still get around the bases I am good.
You should thank God you can do that. I, at 75 23/24th need a cane.

Be gentle to your body!

Nothing irritates me more in a game than people who do not do what they are supposed to do. All it takes is a little effort to play smart and back up a play or take the extra base when an opponent screws up. It takes no skill, only a little effort to do the right thing. I love Harrison Bader of the Cardinals because he is always putting in the effort to do the right thing.

Sir,
You may have hit it on the head as to why before all the kneeling mess, I quit following MLB closely. I saw so many players on Major league teams making stupid bonehead plays that was so far beneath the dignity of the game that I turned away from the slop I was watching. To think major league players would even make a mistake much less a bonehead mistake was not imaginable to me.

Talent I guess that gets you there but it is the love of the game that draws people to watch you play. In a nutshell I think that is why I quit watching regular season games and then ended up quitting watching altogether. A real shame as I do not mess with mediocrity WHEN you are supposed to be the best. Rant over for now... ;)

Sir,
You may have hit it on the head as to why before all the kneeling mess, I quit following MLB closely. I saw so many players on Major league teams making stupid bonehead plays that was so far beneath the dignity of the game that I turned away from the slop I was watching. To think major league players would even make a mistake much less a bonehead mistake was not imaginable to me.

Talent I guess that gets you there but it is the love of the game that draws people to watch you play. In a nutshell I think that is why I quit watching regular season games and then ended up quitting watching altogether. A real shame as I do not mess with mediocrity WHEN you are supposed to be the best. Rant over for now... ;)
Growing up MLB was the most popular sport in America and it was not close. The NFL and NBA were probably less popular than AAA Baseball back then. The most popular athlete was the Heavyweight Boxing Champion. Time changed all of that and today I could not name you the heavyweight champion. As far as baseball, I quit a long time ago when they went on strike. I couldn't take that with the salaries they had and the money I had to save to send kids to college. Now MLB is trying to be more WOKE than the NBA and NFL.

The people who control sports and even those on talk radio sports can not keep politics out of it, so I find other things to do in life. And rant over for me too.

You should thank God you can do that. I, at 75 23/24th need a cane.

Be gentle to your body!
My wife ask when I will quit all together or at least slow down. I told her if they quit calling for me to play I might but, there are senior leagues in OKC so...

I also told her there are three ways I want to go:

1. Sliding into home as the winning run hearing the ump yell: "Safe!" and drop dead.
2. Celebrating a UK national championship and drop dead. (actually how my mother died)
3. At the climax of passion hearing my wife say: "Oh baby you're the Greatest".

Not necessarily in that order. She laughed at that last one. Oh well, I can dream.

My wife ask when I will quit all together or at least slow down. I told her if they quit calling for me to play I might but, there are senior leagues in OKC so...

1. Sliding into home as the winning run hearing the ump yell: "Safe!" and drop dead.
2. Celebrating a UK national championship and drop dead. (actually how my mother died)

Not necessarily in that order. She laughed at that last one. Oh well, I can dream.

I now understand the big bang theory. I didn't realize I didn't want to understand it but, now I do..... :( :oops:;)

Don't quit. Don't ever quit. When I went through my complete spinal fusion a few years ago I could have hung it for my lifetime and coasted until my final breath. But I faced it head on and went the extra step. My body had to learn how to walk again. I will never be a distant runner again but I can walk without a cane or any crutch. Better than before surgery. I can drive and do about anything my heart desires. My plumbing all work and I will stop before I get too descriptive.

I just returned from working outside on my hands and knees pulling weeds. I feel good. My blood sugar was 80 and BP 118/68. Pulse 60. I check all of them 3 x a day. I had an EKG two weeks ago and it was normal and above normal for someone who will be 79 in a little over a month. When I was a boy following my grandpa as he plowed the field he would say, "Johnny just keep moving". Keep moving. I remember what he said and have tried to live that way, just keep moving. God is good.

I walk fast a lot, over 4 mph for 4 miles, but running tears up my bad knee such that I'd be in need of a replacement in short order. As is, doesn't bother me often or much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT