ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Don't be "chipping" the dishes mind you....
I didn't do the dishes and now have to do them today. Have to do them now.

Shot an 81 today. I didn't eat anything this morning and the heat finally got me down with about 5 holes to go. 7 over in the last 5 holes. Oh well. Just as important to prepare for the hot days as it is for the cold ones. I did get another eagle today, that will be 2 for tomorrow and I should get my money back for the two days.

Got my tags for the truck today. $201. I didn't ask or look to see what they had it valued at. They wouldn't have changed it anyway. Those were the good old days.

Just reading a story about how mass shootings have increased after the "assault" weapon ban expired in 2004. Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in all this discussion, but Facebook started in 2004 and Twitter in 2006.

I postulate that the increase in mass killings is more coincidental with the rise of social media rather than large capacity magazines. Everyone has a voice now and regardless of your views on any topic, you can find someone to agree with you.

Our society has fundamentally changed over the last 20 years and I don't think it was an organic change. We are being herded and we don't even realize it.

Or, maybe not.

I heard on the radio today, that there is 2 jobs for every person unemployed right now. In town, there is a now hiring sign everywhere you look too. People used to be ashamed to not work, now they get in social media and brag about it. People wonder what's wrong with this country, it's that we reward incompetence.

Just reading a story about how mass shootings have increased after the "assault" weapon ban expired in 2004. Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in all this discussion, but Facebook started in 2004 and Twitter in 2006.

I postulate that the increase in mass killings is more coincidental with the rise of social media rather than large capacity magazines. Everyone has a voice now and regardless of your views on any topic, you can find someone to agree with you.

Our society has fundamentally changed over the last 20 years and I don't think it was an organic change. We are being herded and we don't even realize it.

Or, maybe not.
Social media has made it to where people no longer know had to interact on a personal level.

Social media has made it to where people no longer know had to interact on a personal level.
Exactly right. I guess the advent of television caused a shift in societies norms as well. Not much resulted from telling your tv you didn't like what it was saying, though. It seems like the more we are connected, the less connected we are as a whole.

You can see it every time you go out. People will be sitting at a table with their smart phone, texting and searching. Another thing I find nuts is people dating in groups. It is one thing to meet at church for a social event and have a half dozen teenagers but when kids only go out on a date with 2 or 3 couples, count me out. I wanted to be alone with my girlfriend. I guess I am a strange bird.

You can see it every time you go out. People will be sitting at a table with their smart phone, texting and searching. Another thing I find nuts is people dating in groups. It is one thing to meet at church for a social event and have a half dozen teenagers but when kids only go out on a date with 2 or 3 couples, count me out. I wanted to be alone with my girlfriend. I guess I am a strange bird.

I'm wit ya Sir...

My wife ask when I will quit all together or at least slow down. I told her if they quit calling for me to play I might but, there are senior leagues in OKC so...

I also told her there are three ways I want to go:

1. Sliding into home as the winning run hearing the ump yell: "Safe!" and drop dead.
2. Celebrating a UK national championship and drop dead. (actually how my mother died)
3. At the climax of passion hearing my wife say: "Oh baby you're the Greatest".

Not necessarily in that order. She laughed at that last one. Oh well, I can dream.
Warrior, I hope if it is #3 you are an active participant.

Growing up MLB was the most popular sport in America and it was not close. The NFL and NBA were probably less popular than AAA Baseball back then. The most popular athlete was the Heavyweight Boxing Champion. Time changed all of that and today I could not name you the heavyweight champion. As far as baseball, I quit a long time ago when they went on strike. I couldn't take that with the salaries they had and the money I had to save to send kids to college. Now MLB is trying to be more WOKE than the NBA and NFL.

The people who control sports and even those on talk radio sports can not keep politics out of it, so I find other things to do in life. And rant over for me too.
Every little community used to have their baseball team and they'd play other communities. I recall as a kid going to see an uncle who was the pitcher for his team. Baseball was king then. There used to be minor leagues everywhere. The local league was the Class D Kitty League (Ky-IL and Tn plus Evansville was in it off and on). It died for good in the mid 50's. I grew up near Paducah and their team was the Chiefs. They played in Brooks Stadium. It was 408 to center, 379 in the power alleys and 330 down the lines with a ten foot concrete fence. I got to play there a few times. I hit one off the 408 marker once and 2 in the same game high off the wall in straight away right.

A local guy wrote a book about the Chiefs and the league in general. He made a case that television killed the minors and the Chiefs in particular. Families used to go to games, but when TV first came out in our area, people started staying home for entertainment. He gave numbers to bolster his case. In the early 80's, there was a new minor league starting in the area. This guy bought the chair seats from the Texas Rangers when they refurbished. I used to drive by his house and see the seats piled up behind his house. He told the city he would install the seats in Brooks Stadium and give them to the city for free if they would let him bring a team to Paducah (the stadium needed new seats bad). The city turned him down. Years later, they did upgrade and it sometimes hosts the OVC tournament.

I played baseball in the winter in Detroit. I wrapped black tape around the ball so I could find it in the snow. Many people would be at the skate rink as ice hockey was large in Michigan as well but I never liked ice skating. A few of us played baseball year round.

I haven't noticed anything from Star Chief lately so I placed a call to him. Reached his voicemail. Rooster has been silent for awhile also. Anyone know how they are doing?

I'm still kicking. Old age finally catching up with me. Been having some health issues. Painful but nothing life threatening though. Thanks for missing me.

Holy Walking Dead, Batman!

FUL7XW5WAAAisvD

Seriously, these are melted and damaged mannequins after a fire at Madam Tussaud’s Wax Museum in London, 1925. Cool take.

I would like to report a victory for all us males tonight. I told my wife I wanted to get some more of those ice trays I had bought at the peddler mall. She said, "you mean those ice trays that I bought". I laughed and told her she was wrong. She then told me that she ordered the ice trays.

I told her that I bought them and I believe that the peddler mall sticker was still on one of them. Then I showed her. We didn't talk about it much after that. No words were needed.

I would like to report a victory for all us males tonight. I told my wife I wanted to get some more of those ice trays I had bought at the peddler mall. She said, "you mean those ice trays that I bought". I laughed and told her she was wrong. She then told me that she ordered the ice trays.

I told her that I bought them and I believe that the peddler mall sticker was still on one of them. Then I showed her. We didn't talk about it much after that. No words were needed.
You are a brave man.

ROTFLCGU................... This brother thinks he won............. 😅

i-pity-the-fool-mr-t.gif

Sorry, I will laugh a little better this evening...... 😅 ;)

I was the same way. It's kind of hard getting to know the person when you have other couples along.

I was the same way. It's kind of hard getting to know the person when you have other couples along.

HA, there was a time my son and his two friends would go and apply for the same job (1 opening), at the same time. I told my son, think about it???? Three of you are going together to apply for one job... My son is the sharpest of sharp-minded people. I trust his views in so many things. He never misses a trick even as a baby. He has a do-nothing streak though and at times will work hard at not working or accomplishing anything. (At the time I knew he knew what he was doing not expecting to work but darn there is principal...) (The military changed him a bunch and he is now, as my Aunt Bessie used to say about my BIL, "Much of a Man".)

When I was chasing 40 years ago, all attempts of companionship with the ladies was, by myself...

HA, there was a time my son and his two friends would go and apply for the same job (1 opening), at the same time. I told my son, think about it???? Three of you are going together to apply for one job... My son is the sharpest of sharp-minded people. I trust his views in so many things. He never misses a trick even as a baby. He has a do-nothing streak though and at times will work hard at not working or accomplishing anything. (At the time I knew he knew what he was doing not expecting to work but darn there is principal...) (The military changed him a bunch and he is now, as my Aunt Bessie used to say about my BIL, "Much of a Man".)

When I was chasing 40 years ago, all attempts of companionship with the ladies was, by myself...
That was solid advice. I never told anyone about a job until I got hired first. I figured I'd have enough competition getting the job without adding to it.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 75°F and partly cloudy. Today's high could reach 91°F.

Nice hearing from starchief5. Get well soon, fellow former Middlesboro citizen.

Queen Elizabeth's celebrating 70 years on the throne. Ceremony on TV right now.

Leaving for work NLT 6:15 am. Keeping it short this morning.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

NATIONAL-ROTISSERIE-CHICKEN-DAY-%E2%80%93-June-2-e1590778011460.png

I'm still kicking. Old age finally catching up with me. Been having some health issues. Painful but nothing life threatening though. Thanks for missing me.
Hang in there good buddy. Those old bones aches at times. Keep in touch with us because you are a valued poster and we appreciate you. Some of us know and understand how it feels to be aging and are fighting the good fight with you.

I will remember you in my prayers and you have my phone number. May that Arizona sun give you warmth and strength as you and I press on.

Warrior, I hope if it is #3 you are an active participant.
Better than being an inactive participant. I would either be passed out drunk or dead which would make her a necrophiliac. Well, not if I died during the deed.

Funny that subject (necrophilia) came up in conversation between my wife and 16-year-old daughter yesterday. She was saying that some of the people she talks to online were discussing the subject (that and bestiality) and she could not understand how people could be so sick.

So far so good, she is at least taking the correct position on the subject.

Morning D-Legionnaires!

Rained again last night (Thunderstorms) and is raining again this morning. Cooler temps came with it. Today's high around the mid 70's with 20-30mph winds. Supposed to taper off late to early morning tomorrow with much lighter winds. Want to go to my fishing holes tomorrow but some places (the better ones) are hard to get to after hard rains (no 4x4 drive on my truck). Still, I just might have to attempt it. Want to kayak with light winds.

Have to play Mr. Miyagi at half past noon today but not much else going on. You guys enjoy your day and stay out of trouble.

Starchief, prayer sent for you this morning and hoping the Lord takes the pain away.

Good morning! Leaving soon to go figure out who won money in the game. I think a BLT is in my future this morning.

Looking at a high of 75° today. Pleasant. Could be storms though. Inconvenient.

Have a good day in your neck of the woods.
I went Old School for breakfast this morning. I fried up a can of Spam and made myself a nice 3 egg omelet. A little Tabasco and I had a 5 star gourmet meal better than anything you could get a the Waldorf Astoria's fancy dining room.

Good morning D-League. It is 71.1°F and cloudy. We are supposed to get to 80°F with a good chance for rain (40%).

On dating: I had a bunch of double dates. Never a triple date although many of us friends ended up at the same place. Of course I was raised in the country, so a city would present a totally different set up. One good thing about being in the country there were many good parking places, especially with Mammoth Cave National park being two and 1/2 miles from my house!

I also wonder about Rooster. I am missing the train pictures.

Better than being an inactive participant. I would either be passed out drunk or dead which would make her a necrophiliac. Well, not if I died during the deed.
LOL. There is a Rodney Dangerfield joke in there somewhere.
"Last night I heard my wife scream out in passion, 'Baby you are the greatest!'
I was in another room asleep at the time.
I tell ya, I get no respect."

Speaking of Rodney Dangerfield, I saw him live in DC back in the early 1980s when I was in my mid-20s. There is no doubt in my mind that I laughed harder that night than any other time in my life. It was like being in convulsions. Seeing the guy in person, prowling that stage with that beaten dog look on his face, no TV or video could match it.

Anyway, here's a short clip for a morning chuckle.

Last edited:
I heard on the radio today, that there is 2 jobs for every person unemployed right now. In town, there is a now hiring sign everywhere you look too. People used to be ashamed to not work, now they get in social media and brag about it. People wonder what's wrong with this country, it's that we reward incompetence.
Too many old people for the working ages to service one way or another. I.e., population bust after 1970.

Good morning D-League. It is 71.1°F and cloudy. We are supposed to get to 80°F with a good chance for rain (40%).

On dating: I had a bunch of double dates. Never a triple date although many of us friends ended up at the same place. Of course I was raised in the country, so a city would present a totally different set up. One good thing about being in the country there were many good parking places, especially with Mammoth Cave National park being two and 1/2 miles from my house!

I also wonder about Rooster. I am missing the train pictures.
Speaking of Mammoth Cave, my son sent me this picture yesterday 6 years ago (I was thinking 3 or 4 years). Time does fly. Took my daughter there for her first visit pictured with my son (one of the twins) who sent the picture.

Edited: that picture might be from somewhere else, not sure. We also went to Chatanooga in that time frame and visited a rocky area so that maybe in Chatanooga. I don't label my pictures just dates.

imagejpeg-0-2.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of Rodney Dangerfield, I saw him live in DC back in the early 1980s when I was in my mid-20s. There is no doubt in my mind that I laughed harder that night than any other time in my life. It was like being in convulsions. Seeing the guy in person, prowling that stage with that beaten dog look on his face, no TV or video could match it.

Anyway, here's a short clip for a morning chuckle.
Every few days or so I will surf YouTube and watch him on talk shows and other standup venues. One of the funniest comics ever to me.

Almost, I say almost, one of those BR549 trains...

93f0c13ea562eb643b7fde05d1660100.jpg
Junior was from Cumming, GA. When I moved there right off of Hwy 9 as you headed North into town , on the right side of the road was Sample Auto Sales. And there it was in big bold BR-549. I bet that phone number had been on the sign for 25 or 30 years back in 1995.

I quickly found out after I moved there, Junior was an original. There was nothing fake about him. His act was not staged. They just told him to open his mouth and out it came.

One of my favorite things to do was go down to the barber shop across from the court house and talk to the old timers. It was straight out of Mayberry. Many of Junior's jokes on Hee Haw were real life experiences there in Cumming, Georgia. I am sure it has all changed now with most everybody I knew back then gone to their eternal home. But Once Upon A Time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT