ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Yeah, understood, I rarely carry cash any longer but since mine and my Darlings trip to SC I have had the remnants of three hundred and fifty dollars or so in cash in my pocket. We decided on a Little Caesars cheese pizza with light sauce this past Sunday afternoon and walking into the joint an elderly man was sitting on the sidewalk in front of the store. He hit me up. I didn't want to pull my wad out but told him I would be back and I came back with two dollars and he blessed me. I went in and retrieved our pizza and he blessed me again as I left.

I had a guy a year or so ago nearly accost me in a Lidl's parking lot in Springfield. My daughter and wife was in our car as I was opening the door to get in. This guy came up to me within about a foot and I stated to him give me five feet of space NOW. He did and then stated he was 59 and needed money and again stated he hoped I wasn't going to be like all the rest and ignore his plea for help. I looked him dead in his eye and stated I was 59 too and, yep, I was going to be like all the rest, I got in my car and left him standing there as I pulled out. My daughter told me I had mellowed, (She'd seen people come up to me that close before and knew I didn't take people invading my space.), I told her I had not mellowed but something told me at the time not to compound his trouble.

Oh well, back to work...
About 20 years ago I was in Charlotte, NC for a NASCAR race and we decided to take a stroll downtown. A man came up to me and said he was hungry and would I give him some money for a sandwich. Across the street was a liquor store. I told him I was hungry too and I will treat him to a nice juicy hamburger. He said he really didn't like hamburgers so I asked him what he did want to eat. I told him anything his heart desires.

I started walking away to grab that hamburger and he followed me across the street. I told him he was not getting any cash from me but if he was really hungry I would order him his choice of sandwiches. He settled for a hamburger and we went on our way.

Our one and only appearance on the Grand Ole Opry stage. Singing, "Why Not Me" and for our encore performance, "I Don't Think Hank Did It This Way"

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teQFvFJdi4TpCZoOf0SypnRurnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A

Huh? Sir...

About 20 years ago I was in Charlotte, NC for a NASCAR race and we decided to take a stroll downtown. A man came up to me and said he was hungry and would I give him some money for a sandwich. Across the street was a liquor store. I told him I was hungry too and I will treat him to a nice juicy hamburger. He said he really didn't like hamburgers so I asked him what he did want to eat. I told him anything his heart desires.

I started walking away to grab that hamburger and he followed me across the street. I told him he was not getting any cash from me but if he was really hungry I would order him his choice of sandwiches. He settled for a hamburger and we went on our way.
I'd be a bum myself if I doled out cash to every derelict who asks in Washington, of course. Every now and then I'll hand over a $5 bill but generally I feel like it just contributes to a greatly worsening problem.

But I am a bit superstitious some times. A while back I suddenly got this feeling that I could guarantee good luck by being generous to the homeless. I decided to give money to everyone who asked on both ends of the subway ride. It cost me about four $5 bills, as I recall.

That night, Kentucky lost to St. Peter's. It has been tough on the bums ever since.

I'd be a bum myself if I doled out cash to every derelict who asks in Washington, of course. Every now and then I'll hand over a $5 bill but generally I feel like it just contributes to a greatly worsening problem.

But I am a bit superstitious some times. A while back I suddenly got this feeling that I could guarantee good luck by being generous to the homeless. I decided to give money to everyone who asked on both ends of the subway ride. It cost me about four $5 bills, as I recall.

That night, Kentucky lost to St. Peter's. It has been tough on the bums ever since.

Speaking for myself, I will help a child or older person most anytime. An able-bodied man, I take no pity. (I was in that situation for a time after I got out of the Army and had to have surgery on my left knee and the dealership I was working for in Middlesboro fired me because I couldn't walk, I had only worked there about a month before my knee totally gave out. (Seriously but won't go further.) I had family all around but I was homeless and they never knew it. I never took anything from anyone and I was probably my most honest in my life at that point. I went down to one hundred and fifty two pounds. I lived off loaves of bread back then you could get four loaves for a dollar and I'd scrape a quarter up in various ways. I guess I lived that way for six or more months. I finally healed, I was destitute but I never begged, I never stole anything, I never borrowed. I kept myself reasonably clean. I never forgot that time in my life. I am thankful...

Rand Paul vs. Charles Booker for the US Senate seat. No surprise. As I posted on the political thread, Booker will take Jefferson and Fayette county, maybe some of Northern Kentucky. Paul takes the rest of the state in a landslide.
Sorry, but the NKy part is totally wrong. No idea where you'd get that. Massie wins with 70% over & over. Paul will do 70% in Boone & Kenton & 60 in Campbell. Booker may carry Covington. More rural counties just south will go for Paul even more.

Sorry, but the NKy part is totally wrong. No idea where you'd get that. Massie wins with 70% over & over. Paul will do 70% in Boone & Kenton & 60 in Campbell. Booker may carry Covington. More rural counties just south will go for Paul even more.
Good post and I trust that it is correct.

Rand Paul is my old eye doctor. I worked my ass off on his first campaign for the Senate. I root for Rand. I get my Federal Taxes audited every year because I supported Rand (I am on the hit list).

I actually thinks Rand wins big. We Libertarians have to stick together.

Huh? Sir...
A gag post Sir, just acting funny. To explain

Some years back UK football was playing in the Music City Bowl and my wife and I attended. We stayed over a few days and one morning drifted down to the Ryman Auditorium to take a tour. We were the only ones there and the guide took us on a grand tour, just the two of us. When we got on stage I picked up a guitar and stepped up to the microphone and started singing "Why Not Me" (why can't I be a country singing star.) :)

Then my wife grabbed another guitar and we broke out into "I Don't Think Hank Did It That way". Our guide started laughing and took the picture. The wife and I act crazy most of the time. It keeps us young.

I stand corrected. You would know better than I. I shouldn't have assumed that being across from Hamilton County would automatically make it blue.

Re giving money to bums. The first time I got to see town after basic training, I was green as can be. I gave a beggar some money, maybe a ten or twenty. Can't recall how much. A cop was watching and he chewed me out big time. Said the guy was going to spend it all on booze. He probably did, but as I said, I was just a green knucklehead.

I stand corrected. You would know better than I. I shouldn't have assumed that being across from Hamilton County would automatically make it blue.
NBD. City of Cincy is probably 70% blue & rest of county is about 55% red making entire county like 55% blue. Counties surrounding Hamilton are heavily red, particularly Clermont & Warren.

NKy just voted out three Pub Legislature incumbents in primary because they weren't Trump enough.

Played two games (Softball) last night. Won the first and lost the second. I sucked with the bat, but my D was still there. Took one (bad hop) off of the chest (bruised but enough meat to take it) and still got him out. Heard my shortstop say "Greg would not have made that play, he would have gotten out of the way. Greg is our other pitcher. We alternate pitching games and EH when not pitching. Defense or the lack thereof lost the second game. Both short stop and third base played matadors on several grounders. After the game they both said, "Sorry Mac, we should have got those". I told them I was not worried about it; we were just out there these days to have fun (beer league ball). Winning is more fun but, a couple of beers and the guy talk afterwards was just as much fun. However, I am not so complacent that I don't want my hitting to improve so, since all of my bats are old, I ordered a new one today. Supposed to be one of the hottest of the new bats going. Had it personalized with my name (Mac the shortened version) so no one could steal it.

1ef7-02-22-2022-worth-krecher-13-5--xl-usa-slow-pitch-softball-bat--wrh22a-35490-1_l.jpg

Last edited:
Played two games (Softball) last night. Won the first and lost the second. I sucked with the bat, but my D was still there. Took one (bad hop) off of the chest (bruised but enough meat to take it) and still got him out. Heard my shortstop say "Greg would not have made that play, he would have gotten out of the way. Greg is our other pitcher. We alternate pitching games and EH when not pitching. Defense or the lack thereof lost the second game. Both short stop and third base played matadors on several grounders. After the game they both said, "Sorry Mac, we should have got those". I told them I was not worried about it; we were just out there these days to have fun (beer league ball). Winning is more fun but, a couple of bears and the guy talk afterwards was just as much fun. However, I am not so complacent that I don't want my hitting to improve so, since all of my bats are old, I ordered a new one today. Supposed to be one of the hottest of the new bats going. Had it personalized with my name (Mac the shortened version) so no one could steal it.

1ef7-02-22-2022-worth-krecher-13-5--xl-usa-slow-pitch-softball-bat--wrh22a-35490-1_l.jpg

I guess it's beerly possible...

I played softball one year for a beer distributor. Trouble was, it was Strohs. They gave us free beer. All we had to do was pick it up. After a bit, no one even bothered to go get it. Also played a couple of years for a bar. Free drinks if we won. We almost never lost.
Played my first couple of years of Lawton softball with the Lawton A's. Bunch of good talent on the team. The guy sponsoring the team also coached it. Found out later he sponsored it with money he embezzled from the finance company he worked for. He had a good lawyer and stayed out of jail until he was caught fondling a ten-year-old girl. He spent a year in prison then got back out working for the same company he embezzled from. Apparently, he knew how to bring in the business.

Played for many sponsors over the years and one in particular was a BBQ joint who fed us at least once a week for free.

Played two games (Softball) last night. Won the first and lost the second. I sucked with the bat, but my D was still there. Took one (bad hop) off of the chest (bruised but enough meat to take it) and still got him out. Heard my shortstop say "Greg would not have made that play, he would have gotten out of the way. Greg is our other pitcher. We alternate pitching games and EH when not pitching. Defense or the lack thereof lost the second game. Both short stop and third base played matadors on several grounders. After the game they both said, "Sorry Mac, we should have got those". I told them I was not worried about it; we were just out there these days to have fun (beer league ball). Winning is more fun but, a couple of beers and the guy talk afterwards was just as much fun. However, I am not so complacent that I don't want my hitting to improve so, since all of my bats are old, I ordered a new one today. Supposed to be one of the hottest of the new bats going. Had it personalized with my name (Mac the shortened version) so no one could steal it.

I envy your abilities! Sure did love my days playing. I played with some very good teams in the past. 1 loss in 4 seasons with 1 team. 4 championships.

I played softball one year for a beer distributor. Trouble was, it was Strohs. They gave us free beer. All we had to do was pick it up. After a bit, no one even bothered to go get it. Also played a couple of years for a bar. Free drinks if we won. We almost never lost.
Strohs beer was awesome! It was the second beer I ever had behind Falstaff, which is what my father kept in the garage fridge. Strohs beer, along with Jim Beam bourbon, got me through high school. I'll always be in debt to those libations. Roll with what brung ya, and what not..

I envy your abilities! Sure did love my days playing. I played with some very good teams in the past. 1 loss in 4 seasons with 1 team. 4 championships.
Really am blessed to be healthy enough to continue to play. Have had some Achilles problems last few years but, slowing down running the bases seems to have helped a lot. Most of the time now if I get on, I can get a pinch runner if I want one. They keep me on generally because of my abilities with the glove and being able to handle the constant winds to get the ball over the plate. I have been hit in the head or face a few times over the years with one hitting the side of face because I turned my head just in time to keep my teeth. Hit my ear and cheekbone area and I had some bleeding but xrays at the local hospital proved that the internal bleeding has stopped. Ball spun me around facing second base with my face in the dirt. Tried to get up but our catcher was pushing me back down because I was bleeding and told me to stay down. Told him I needed to let my wife (who was in the stands) know I was OK. He said: "look up." I looked up and she was already on the field standing between me and second base with her hand over her mouth.

These days I wear shin guards, knee pads (under the pants) and a mask when pitching. Don't want to mess up this mug any further.

Good evening, D-League!

Still running ragged, sore, tired, and dodging the weather and the pollen. Hope yall are doing well. Thought I could catch up by last weekend, but more keeps getting added to my list of things to get done last week. I'm over a month behind. Maybe I'll be able to catch up before the football season kicks off!

God bless the D-League! Good night yall

Good morning from ATX. Currently 73°F and partly cloudy. Today's high may hit 100°F. Heat relief on the way, we hope.

Pup threw up again. We're watching her closely. Wife also sick and going to the doctor. I'm gonna see if I can work from home today.

Watched "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" last night. Awesome special effects, but story lagged from first two flicks.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

befunky-design21.jpg

Good morning D

We have a nice morning with 68° and a little fog on the lake. We expect a high of 87° with scattered clouds with about 2% chance of rain. Rain is expected this weekend, thank the Lord.

It should be a good day to fly. We are headed to the airport soon to catch a flight. My granddaughter graduates from high school this weekend and then she will be preparing to head out to Colorado Springs for the Air Force Academy. It seems as if yesterday I was flying up for her birth. Time does not slow down.

I trust all have a great day.

Good morning D

We have a nice morning with 68° and a little fog on the lake. We expect a high of 87° with scattered clouds with about 2% chance of rain. Rain is expected this weekend, thank the Lord.

It should be a good day to fly. We are headed to the airport soon to catch a flight. My granddaughter graduates from high school this weekend and then she will be preparing to head out to Colorado Springs for the Air Force Academy. It seems as if yesterday I was flying up for her birth. Time does not slow down.

I trust all have a great day.

Have a safe and fruitful trip Sir.

Morning D-Legionnaires!

Hot, hot, hot happening today. 100° yesterday with 101° slated for today. Want to cut the grass but will wait until tomorrow when a cold front moves in and the high is expected to be 97°. 😋

I wonder if God frowns upon us if we eat Devil's food cake.

Whoa, I feel like Keanu Reaves in one of his iconic movies rolls after that remark.

Hang in there straight people! (From the John boy and Billy show)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT