ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning to all in the D-League.

funny-cartoon-do-not-consume-memes.jpg

I thought a few of you history buffs and Americana fans might be interested in this. It's a Norman Rockwell illustration depicting famous photog Mathew Brady capturing Lincoln's image in his DC studio - a place where everyone from Henry Clay to Walt Whitman to George Armstrong Custer and dozens of other luminaries visited.

The buidling where all those people visited Brady's studio is still there. Its just a couple blocks from where I work. No plaque or other sign of what an historic place it once was.

Drove thru tremendous t-storm this evening. Many cars stopping on freeway. Me, I kept going at about 30 mph and let the car ride the waves on the road.

Attended 5th/6th/7th grades band concerts earlier. GS plays sax in 6th. I get a thrill out of listening to how each class is improved over the one below. It's impressive how much they learn in what I think is a short period. And I know zilch about music.

Drove thru tremendous t-storm this evening. Many cars stopping on freeway. Me, I kept going at about 30 mph and let the car ride the waves on the road.

Attended 5th/6th/7th grades band concerts earlier. GS plays sax in 6th. I get a thrill out of listening to how each class is improved over the one below. It's impressive how much they learn in what I think is a short period. And I know zilch about music.
We missed the first wave of storms tonight. Others on the way later.

I envy your GS. I'd pick the sax over every other instrument. God I love the saxophone.

Last edited:
Good morning from ATX. Currently 76°F, cloudy and muggy. 20% chance for rain tonight. Today's high expected around 98°F.

Pup seems better. Vet prescribed medicated food, once daily pill, gave her a IV and ran tests. She was happy to return back home with her humans. We glad she's back.

Happy Friday, y'all.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

befunky-design22.jpg

Morning D-Legionnaires!

95° on tap for today with more moderate winds. The normal around here is 20-25mph.

Workout happening this morning shortly followed by house cleaning and then mowing the lawn. Looks like heavy napping this afternoon. Wife took the day off, forgot about it and got up drinking coffee for work and fell back asleep on the couch. Second cup of coffee not in the cards this morning.

I bowled a 224 one time in Athens Alabama. Somewhere, in a box, I still have the score sheet. 186 would be a common number for me. I aimed at the center pin and threw it as hard as I could. I counted on my incompetence of throwing straight to hope I hit just left or right of the head pin. Got lots of strikes that way and it was violent.
The association I bowled in had an All Star tournie once a year. You didn't have to be a star to bowl in it though. All you had to do was participate in at least 4 tournaments a year. They had one tournie a month at a different house. At the All Star, Pepsi sponsored it and added money to the prize fund, so it did attract more participants. To be at the top of my game, I needed to stand on the approach on about the 8 or 9 board and roll the ball over the 2 or 3 board at the arrows. Not all lanes were set up for that shot and I tried to avoid tournies where that shot didn't work.

One year I went to the All Star anyhow. I tried to make my shot work, but at the break found myself at the bottom of the leaderboard with no prayer. The second round I moved to the middle of the approach, lofted the ball further down the lane (to help avoid hook) and threw it as hard as I could down the 19 board (also to avoid hook). I wasn't physically capable of doing it all day, but it worked for the second set. I moved up to tenth place and won back enough to cover my entry fee, expenses, and a burger at the snack bar.

Good morning all,

Stealing a line from McClintock....

"Day off?......""Off day...".....

Anyway it is my day off...I am feeling it as I made a good start yesterday afternoon of creating My Darlings garden spot... Now she sees the intent and likes it...adding some design tips...yeah, I'll incorporate them ..

Anyway I should be able to finish today. I do plan though to make a pan of biscuits first ...

Have a real good day all...

This is my two grand daughters................ Alyssa on the left was awarded Distinguished Musician on the Cello.......................................Addison was awarded Distinguished Soloist on her Violin..................... there are three levels of honors orchestra............Alyssa has the, "touch"............she plays much better than one would think for never having real lessons beyond group lessons in grade school........when her lessons went from an hour per week with I think......a daily orchestra class she took off..........she has been invited to try out for the Central Kentucky Youth Orchestra this summer......I have to give mention to the two grandsons who marched/played with the Lafayette marching band that has won over twenty five state championships

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...4og3OGcBVTWPQxBR-g7DZWZEgoUcdjuDg&oe=62AE3F1F

This is my two grand daughters................ Alyssa on the left was awarded Distinguished Musician on the Cello.......................................Addison was awarded Distinguished Soloist on her Violin..................... there are three levels of honors orchestra............Alyssa has the, "touch"............she plays much better than one would think for never having real lessons beyond group lessons in grade school........when her lessons went from an hour per week with I think......a daily orchestra class she took off..........she has been invited to try out for the Central Kentucky Youth Orchestra this summer......I have to give mention to the two grandsons who marched/played with the Lafayette marching band that has won over twenty five state championships

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...4og3OGcBVTWPQxBR-g7DZWZEgoUcdjuDg&oe=62AE3F1F
That is absolutely wonderful. I love both the cello and violin.

Congrats on some very talented grandchildren. A gift of music will last a lifetime. Those hours practicing will be a blessing to so many. Music is truly a universal language.

I played trumpet growing up. I played solos in church and was in the school marching band and orchestra. When I was accepted to UK I received an offer from the band director Warren Lutz but wasn't interested but then I found out the band had the best seats during basketball and football. I joined. 😀 It was a fun experience. The UK Band was called the Marching 100 back then but it was all male. No girls allowed. Dang it.

My wife has music on all of the time and is a good piano player. She knows how to get to my heart through that keyboard. I doubt I would want to be in a world without music.

I thought I was covered for my sewer line problem because I do have an exterior service agreement up to $10,000. Unfortunately the damage is 3-feet inside my sunroom. No internal agreement. They'll have to saw through the concrete slab to get to the pipe and they have no idea how much of the pipe will need to be repaired. Minimum $5,200. Hell, if they need to repair several feet this could get really expensive really fast. On top of that I'll have to hire someone to fill in the hole in the sunroom. It's possible that they may have to tear out part of the wall, a section of our deck and some of our driveway. Really nasty and incredibly messy.

I've got 2 reputable plumbing companies coming by Monday for advice and estimates. My regular plumber seems to think that the sewer line can be rerouted through the front yard instead using PVC piping. This old house has the original terra cotta pipes so if they only fix the problem it most likely will happen again somewhere else along the line. I'd rather have a long term solution and not have the constant worry. They'd have to dig a pretty big trench and take out a small part of my driveway but that's better than tearing up my sunroom just to replace a section of old pipe. We just have to be careful with our water usage until this is resolved.

What a great pic! You must be proud.

I thought I was covered for my sewer line problem because I do have an exterior service agreement up to $10,000. Unfortunately the damage is 3-feet inside my sunroom. No internal agreement. They'll have to saw through the concrete slab to get to the pipe and they have no idea how much of the pipe will need to be repaired. Minimum $5,200. Hell, if they need to repair several feet this could get really expensive really fast. On top of that I'll have to hire someone to fill in the hole in the sunroom. It's possible that they may have to tear out part of the wall, a section of our deck and some of our driveway. Really nasty and incredibly messy.

I've got 2 reputable plumbing companies coming by Monday for advice and estimates. My regular plumber seems to think that the sewer line can be rerouted through the front yard instead using PVC piping. This old house has the original terra cotta pipes so if they only fix the problem it most likely will happen again somewhere else along the line. I'd rather have a long term solution and not have the constant worry. They'd have to dig a pretty big trench and take out a small part of my driveway but that's better than tearing up my sunroom just to replace a section of old pipe. We just have to be careful with our water usage until this is resolved.

Yeah, I will harp on "Ye ole Insurance companies"..... Geez are insurance companies a rip off. They are completely HORRIBLE...

My son's car was in a wreck from a head-on collision. (Other parties fault). In any event that was a few weeks ago. He was called yesterday and the autobody shop stated my sons car was vandalized and they swiped his catalytic converter. Oh the body shop towed his car to their shop but still told my son his insurance would have to cover it. Won't go into further details but HEEEEeeeeLLLLLLllllll no that "ain't" happening. They acted like that was okay.... Insurance company played along and my son would owe a $500.00 deductible... Yeah watch... Tell me how that is supposed to work please for many smarter than I am...

Back to finishing the landscaping. I am pounding the rebar now... a tedious job to state the least. Finally figured out how ti drill the holes and align them but it is no picnic Yogi.... ;) (Not working as hard as you can work and still sitting in a chair this time.. ) ;)

Good luck with it.

Good evening D, start reading Jude in the morning!!!

Mrs. M is loving the retired life!!

I don't remember who sent me the pictures of the Mississippi Kite that I was trying to figure out what type of bird it was, but we have really enjoyed watching them!!!! We were setting on the deck today and the female landed in a dead tree setting in the field next to us, then the male Kite flew in and gave her something to eat, he did that 2 more times, then we got a lesson on the birds, minus the bees!!!! They stayed in the tree for more than an hour! What beautiful creatures these Kites are!!!! These Kites showed up about 5 years ago in a large group and have stayed ever since, they show back up around the first of May. They are so graceful watching the just glide around. They remind he so much of a Falcon!!!! I am blessed to have them around, good therapy!!!!! I looked up their range and it shows the Mississippi River and all around the Gulf, but now where near Muhlenberg Co., I guess they have found something they like here in the Berg!!!!!

Our son seems to be getting better at times, had a GREAT day with him Wednesday arrowhead hunting, when I got home and got everything cleaned up, I had over 250 pieces of flakes, chips and other pieces of flint! I found one complete one, I had 6 broken ones, the bases of them, one piece my son called a drill bit they used for drilling holes in wood, a pink piece of flint and a solid black piece!!!! Absolutely beautiful pieces!!!! My metal detecting has taken a back seat for a while!!! I think we have found the honey hole of arrowheads!!! We have not searched 99% of my friends fields!!!!! Jason is coming over tomorrow and we are hitting some new places, kind of search, if we don't find anything, mark it off and move to another grid!!!!

I hope the D has a great evening and prayers for the D!!!!

That's great news Awf. Congratulations to your granddaughters. I've always heard that a violin is one of the hardest instruments to play.

Here's one of my favorites:

I've got 2 reputable plumbing companies coming by Monday for advice and estimates. My regular plumber seems to think that the sewer line can be rerouted through the front yard instead using PVC piping. This old house has the original terra cotta pipes so if they only fix the problem it most likely will happen again somewhere else along the line. I'd rather have a long term solution and not have the constant worry. They'd have to dig a pretty big trench and take out a small part of my driveway but that's better than tearing up my sunroom just to replace a section of old pipe. We just have to be careful w

ith our water usage until this is resolved.
I feel your pain.i have a similar issue . I have to replace drainage fields for my septic system. Costs $5,200.

It is taking 5 months to get the work started

Good morning from ATX. Currently 77°F and cloudy. Possible record heat. Today's high expected around 98°F. Rain chances ramping up. Front moving in tonight bringing precious, lovely rain.

Police searching for a local, nice-looking female cyclist charged for murdering another female cyclist. Apparent cause is a love triangle. Modern problems.

Preakness happens today. Rich Strike not running. No Triple Crown winner this year.

Going for a walk after bit. May enjoy some Tex-Mex food later.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

national-strawberries-and-cream-day-may-21.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT