ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

216773968_4188559807867521_5775610085269269224_n.jpg

16 Tons by T. Ernie Ford...

That song has a special memory for me as I remember my Maternal Grandpa (Who I could not resuscitate when he died while I was home on leave from the Army.) always claimed he was a coal miner and dug 16 tons of coal a day. Even at a young age I found it hard to believe as my Grandpa was on the talkative side and not the side of work as much as I'd have thought one who worked like that would have been. He was also very poor and rarely had a home to call his own but I loved him.

It may be that I push myself to ensure my Grandparents on both side have something to show for all their children. Who knows... In my small way of thinking that is part of what pushes me. Love and Respect for my elders.

Oh, I hope all's day is going well and I hope your path has been cleared to where you each can have an easier time today to where you can rest. God Bless you all...

This is a seriously Rare Bird.... Just watch "it's" moves and bask in "it's" grace...

Good morning D, still heart broken over what happened to our service men!!! I have now words for it except, that did not have to happen and some people are just shrugging it off!!!!

We had a heavy downpour at 9:30 last night, lasted about 15 minutes, 04" of rain!!!

Taking some homemade peanut butter ice cream(and a Gala apple) to a friend of ours who had surgery.

I hope the D has a great day and Prayers for the D!!!!

If any of the D ever needs some type of plant that they want to grow on a fence line or trellis, find you some Hummingbird vines, it's amazing how fast it grows and spreads!!! Hummingbirds sure do like it. We have been watching it and it grows close to a foot a day! Has red blooms on it!!!

Planted 2 of those two years ago myself. They haven't bloomed and only one has grown more than 15". What's your secret?

Masks are back in full force here and it's only a matter of time before the mandates kick back in. I actually saw a lady wearing a mask in her own yard. What's with these people wearing masks while walking outside alone ? Or alone in their car? Blows my mind. I'm not wearing one unless I have to. Unfortunately, all medical facilities require them and I take the folks to multiple doctors.

I wear a gaiter while mowing during ragweed season. Maybe it was allergies

Just watched The Salzburg Connection, filmed in 1972. Loved those old cars and Germanic European atmosphere. Various scenes were subtitled, yet seemingly authentic. Even though one might consider the flick low-grade as far as plot, scenery was gorgeous.

Scenery/filming is now the reason I watch things much anymore. Stories are all rehashed and reworked garbage for the most part

Still looking for an OLED TV. This one is a bit out of my budget. 100k. Can't be that good.

Better get at least a weekly "oil change" and dinner made for me every night at that price. She'll have to do a lot more than hang out

I was at a CES show in the mid, late 80s (Consumer Electronics Show). One of the TV/electronics companies (Motorola I think) had a huge exhibit space and in it was a wall about 10 ft high and 15 ft long made up of 19 inch flat screens. Believe it was the first time they were displayed publicly...no one had ever seen a 'flat screen'. Asked one of the reps if a 19 inch was on the market what would it go for...said 25K.

Used to go to those at the Expo Center in Chicago late 80s. Used to see the coolest stuff. Speakers as big as my hand that were too loud (but had perfect sound) if you were on the other end of the convention hall... Completely outrageous to buy anything there, but some amazing stuff (some of which I still haven't seen available to the public since).

No secret at all, it comes back every year. I put out a small trellis it's about 6' tall and 2' wide, in two weeks it is almost solid covered and blooming.

Is it called a "hummingbird vine" or something else? The only one we could find had red-orange flowers... If it is and you see one like yours somewhere for sale, please let me know. I was looking for one with red flowers for my wife.

Is it called a "hummingbird vine" or something else? The only one we could find had red-orange flowers... If it is and you see one like yours somewhere for sale, please let me know. I was looking for one with red flowers for my wife.
Look up Outside red Cypress vine. Mine was given to me. I don't know how to post pictures or I would

We'd gotten to the target % for vaccination to reach "herd immunity" and yet hospitals are only now beginning to be overwhelmed with cases and deaths. Seems the shots are doing what the early spreading couldn't. Hearing about people who had mostly no contact with anyone except the vaccinated and are now sick or dying themselves. Otherwise somewhat healthy people.

They continue not to treat anyone until they are seriously ill against all medical common sense and former industry standards.

Friend told me an acquaintance of ours died this past week. One of the most generous and kind people you'd meet. Losing a LOT of such people now.

Guys, I'm going to post a version of this on the political thread, but I consider you friends, so it goes a little stronger in here. Things could get bad with all these refugees from Afghan and for our troops over there. I'm no one special, but I have heard things from a trusted source. We already knew it, but the whole Afghan withdrawal has been a set up situation. If you are not prepared, now for things to get worse, do so.

Now that they're forcing the shots on the military, it's time for our enemies from within and without to bring the fight here. They could cripple our economy and resources in a day, maybe 2. Next 10 days could be telling

Now that they're forcing the shots on the military, it's time for our enemies from within and without to bring the fight here. They could cripple our economy and resources in a day, maybe 2. Next 10 days could be telling
As an old guy, I was concerned about our direction as a nation, but I never dreamed we would be where we are in my lifetime.

Good Sunday Morning D

The sun is coming up and it is currently 73° and with a high expected of 90°.
There is a 75% chance of thunderstorms this morning. We were a long way from Ida so this is a normal pattern not related to the hurricane. Ida will visit Louisiana today as a pretty strong storm, CAT 4 and getting strong are. Sustained winds of 150 mph. That will blow you across the store.

The state of Louisiana will be ready but I am not sure about New Orleans. They are not known for being able to care for themselves. Maybe Ida will skate by them. I sure hope so.

I trust all are well during this Lord's Day. Prayers for the poor American souls trying to escape Afghanistan.

Take care all.

240894219_4784503798244361_3015134850605299282_n.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning from ATX. Currently 74°F and cloudy. Rain chances increasing around noon. Possibility for thunderstorms. Today's high expected to reach 91°F or so. Hurricane Ida hours away from hitting Louisiana on the 16th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. Hoping for the best.

Watched college football yesterday in-between chores. Nebraska lost. Huskers still can't get it together.

Usual Sunday plans in effect today. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

chop-suey-day.jpg

Good morning all. Low 70s out on the porch in the Buckeye State...heading back to 90 again. Heat is supposed to break tomorrow and actually be in the high 70s for a few days this coming week.

Went to the Mrs' nephew's wedding yesterday. Pretty nice...at a farm out in the country surrounded by corn fields. House built in 1880s and barn in 1908. Wedding in the yard of the house (hot) and reception in the barn (hot). But a good wedding. He's a good guy and seems to have found a good gal (who has been married before and has the nicest, most polite 11, 12 year old I have ever seen).

Nothing, nothing, did I say nothing....on the docket today.

Y'all have a good, safe, healthy Lord's Day.

Howdy D League. Back from a run. Humid but not too hot yet.

My son at UK got a weekend job with Wildcat Movers driving and loading. So keep them in mind if any of you in that area need a professional job. My son has done this for a couple years now, including some long distance, across several states jobs.

Just taking it easy today, doing a few chores and taking my wife and daughter out to lunch. I hope you all have a good Sunday.

Morning Legionnaires!

Apologies for the Joe Biden approved post above.

Weather still in the low 90's going back up this week to high 90's to possible 100° for the week. I NEED MY FISHING WEATHER BACK.

On a lighter note, I was watching a YouTube piece about Linda Carter and her daughter. Her daughter got her mother's looks. After seeing her I think that those in Hollywood should have casted her as the next Wonder Woman. That would have been cool. She is in the business anyway (also lawyer like her dad) and has traveled with her mother doing shows around the country.

c65ac25d-404a-439c-9d0d-4cebce640b52-getty-688753220.jpg

Last edited:
Guys, I'm going to post a version of this on the political thread, but I consider you friends, so it goes a little stronger in here. Things could get bad with all these refugees from Afghan and for our troops over there. I'm no one special, but I have heard things from a trusted source. We already knew it, but the whole Afghan withdrawal has been a set up situation. If you are not prepared, now for things to get worse, do so.

Any more details you can share?

Another example of the media talking up a weather event that's not that bad?
When I'm wrong I acknowledge it and own it. Saw just now where Ida has hit Cat 5 strength. Also saw this in an article which surprised me....

'Only four Category 5 hurricanes have made landfall in the United States: Michael in 2018, Andrew in 1992, Camille in 1969 and the Labor Day Hurricane of 1935.'

When I'm wrong I acknowledge it and own it. Saw just now where Ida has hit Cat 5 strength. Also saw this in an article which surprised me....

'Only four Category 5 hurricanes have made landfall in the United States: Michael in 2018, Andrew in 1992, Camille in 1969 and the Labor Day Hurricane of 1935.'
A CAT 5 is nothing to play with. I worked Andrew in 1992 and Dade County around Homestead was like 20 years in Afghanistan.

The only good thing coming out of it was better building standards for the state. South Florida has been ruled by very liberal politicians who had their pockets lined by builders and contractors and built junk. Andrew took their junk out to sea

Last edited:
Any more details you can share?
Not really. As I said, I'm John Nobody. Anyone thinking it through could surmise what I have said. I have kin who has been there several times, and I ran into him the other day and he still knows people who are/were there. He just confirmed what we were all thinking. He was also complaining about wokeness invading the military.

This is a seriously Rare Bird.... Just watch "it's" moves and bask in "it's" grace...

I played golf twice with Larry Bird. He is a "bird" and the most down to earth man you could ever meet. He was rich and I was poor and he did not see any difference. I have loved him after the first meeting. They don't come much better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT