ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

I remember very clearly when it was rude to talk about politics. And money. You let other people have opinions, you respected them, and a large part of that was you didn't know their opinions, you didn't care. It didn't matter.

Now, you might know what someone's butthole looks like because it's on social media and it went viral. Now, opinions define you. It is fn weird. Everything is soooooo important now. It's important that we all act and share the same opinions, for some odd reason.

Slippery slopes, man. It happens so fast. Just a culmination of all sorts if little events.

Like I vividly remember riding with my mom to lexington when I heard about the new seatbelt law on the radio. I LOL'd because that's silly. That's a person right, choice, first of all. You can't police that. Even of you could, why would you want to? Are there hot more pressing issues our police could tend to?

Then when the Kim Kardashian thing happened and it captured the world. Yes, I enjoyed that, but it was fn odd to see how that was accepted, by females especially. She wasn't a slut because of it, she was a well respected celebrity star, a role model, someone for young girls to look up to, and they did. OK, fine, I won't exactly complain, just make sure we're all on the same page...this stuff is cool? This is what we want our kids to look up to?

And you can point to thousands of little things like this, the hundreds of "news" stories (many we should beve see or know or care about) we see every day.

• Good Morning, DLers.
  • Likes applied.
  • Dark Magic going.
  • HRC knows more about ISIS than the generals.
  • 73º in Johns Creek. Hazy. IFR. You can't tell that it rained. No sun.
  • Blood Sugar = 75. Weight = 230.
  • It's Monday again. I hope you have a good week.
  • Glad ymmot's post count evened out finally.
  • Quiet.
  • Webb Hubble.
  • WH saved my life yesterday.
  • Hot air balloon was overloaded probably. 16 dead in Austin.
  • That is all.

funny-pictures-35.jpg

Bko, this old guy is sick of the political bull also. Politics has been and always will be a filthy business in my mind anyway. I remember when debate over different opinions were an option that didn't end friendships either. Our politicians and a bunch of others have turned us into a nation of finger pointers.

I just mentioned to my wife yesterday that this country is more divided now than I've ever seen it in my lifetime. Late 60s may compare somewhat. People have always disagreed about politics of course but they didn't personally dislike others who disagreed with them. Dems and Repubs seem to despise one another now. People are not just against Trump or Clinton - they despise one or the other. People actually despise former Presidents to the point they cannot safely appear in public after leaving office (except Bill Clinton, a man who knows no shame).I think the internet has contributed to this. People say mean things on the internet that common decency (and personal fear) would never allow them to say to someone's face. The internet allows even a dork to be mean and tough.

Last edited:
I remember very clearly when it was rude to talk about politics. And money. You let other people have opinions, you respected them, and a large part of that was you didn't know their opinions, you didn't care. It didn't matter.

Now, you might know what someone's butthole looks like because it's on social media and it went viral. Now, opinions define you. It is fn weird. Everything is soooooo important now. It's important that we all act and share the same opinions, for some odd reason.

Slippery slopes, man. It happens so fast. Just a culmination of all sorts if little events.

Like I vividly remember riding with my mom to lexington when I heard about the new seatbelt law on the radio. I LOL'd because that's silly. That's a person right, choice, first of all. You can't police that. Even of you could, why would you want to? Are there hot more pressing issues our police could tend to?

Then when the Kim Kardashian thing happened and it captured the world. Yes, I enjoyed that, but it was fn odd to see how that was accepted, by females especially. She wasn't a slut because of it, she was a well respected celebrity star, a role model, someone for young girls to look up to, and they did. OK, fine, I won't exactly complain, just make sure we're all on the same page...this stuff is cool? This is what we want our kids to look up to?

And you can point to thousands of little things like this, the hundreds of "news" stories (many we should beve see or know or care about) we see every day.

I'm with you, I remember that you didn't discuss money, politics - or even health. I'm sure you remember that certain illnesses were whispered if discussed at all.
My mom always made us wear seatbelts - if we had them. She was a nurse back then and saw the trauma often enough when they weren't worn. I get that; but also understand where you're coming from on that.

But yes - all the little things that happened have built up. It was a cumulative effect - for example, I remember hearing how the F word was used for the first time in the movie, M*A*S*H* (not the series), and people freaked. I was only a year old when the movie came out, so it was a few years later, but the point remains. Now you have to watch a children's movie in order to NOT hear that word.
And no, Kim Kardashian wasn't someone I wanted my daughter to look up to. And, she didn't - but most of her generation did/do. Never understood it. Katie's idea of a role model is someone like P!nk (the singer), or Shirley Muldowney, btw.

It is what it is - problem is too many people are willing to believe the first thing they read, and they spread it like wildfire, true or not

I just mentioned to my wife yesterday that this country is more divided now than I've ever seen it in my lifetime. Late 60s may compare somewhat. People have always disagreed about politics of course but they didn't personally dislike others who disagreed with them. Dems and Repubs seem to despise one another now. People are not just against Trump or Clinton - they despise one or the other. People actually despise former Presidents to the point they cannot safely appear in public after leaving office (except Bill Clinton, a man who knows no shame).I think the internet has contributed to this. People say mean things on the internet that common decency (and personal fear) would never allow them to say to someone's face. The internet allows even a dork to be mean and tough.

agreed, and well stated. The internet has played a HUGE part of this. Half-true stories are constantly circulating, and people will repeat them as the HONEST TRUTH if it supports "their side." They won't even bother to check if the facts are correct, or something was taken out of context.

anyway...
Good morning D
Older boy started his new job today - hard work, he says, but seems to like it so far
Going to be headed out here shortly - errands to run don'tcha know
Be glad when school starts again, so I can get a bit of a break :p
Youngest made my 2nd cup of coffee this morning - it's, um......well he tried. And I'll drink every bit of it
Y'all try to be good, ok?

I'm with you, I remember that you didn't discuss money, politics - or even health. I'm sure you remember that certain illnesses were whispered if discussed at all.
My mom always made us wear seatbelts - if we had them. She was a nurse back then and saw the trauma often enough when they weren't worn. I get that; but also understand where you're coming from on that.

But yes - all the little things that happened have built up. It was a cumulative effect - for example, I remember hearing how the F word was used for the first time in the movie, M*A*S*H* (not the series), and people freaked. I was only a year old when the movie came out, so it was a few years later, but the point remains. Now you have to watch a children's movie in order to NOT hear that word.
And no, Kim Kardashian wasn't someone I wanted my daughter to look up to. And, she didn't - but most of her generation did/do. Never understood it. Katie's idea of a role model is someone like P!nk (the singer), or Shirley Muldowney, btw.

It is what it is - problem is too many people are willing to believe the first thing they read, and they spread it like wildfire, true or not

I hate profanity in speech. It adds absolutely nothing to what one says and it makes more people than one would realize cringe. And I don't care for bathroom humor. Call me a prude. I don't care.
This used to have restricted use (no cussing in the presence of women or children, eg) but it permeates society today, done by men, women and children. A losing battle to protest against.

A few years ago I was taking my wife & daughter out to eat at Old Chicago. They have a patio area which was occupied by a bunch of college aged kids. They were having a good time. Talking, drinking, laughing, using profanities. As we approached the restaurant, I yelled out, "Watch your language!".

That crowd suddenly got very quiet and some girl sheepishly replied, "sorry".

It honestly didn't offend me at all and I don't think my daughter really paid much attention to them. My wife just elbowed me in the ribs and called me an old geezer.

It is what it is.

It is what it is.

No! Being an old geezer is not what is happening.

Our society is far more course than 30 years ago. Protesting classless behavior is not the act of an old geezer. Being classless and vulgar is an insult on being decent people.

But we are so assaulted by classless and vulgar behavior we just go on and never notice it.

In public one should watch what he/she says. There is no problem with being a lady or a gentleman.

I think that's true.

Someone mentioned this earlier, the chicken or the egg...

Do young people make the rules/change the tone/make cursing cool, or do the adults allow this to happen?

That's a stupid question because like most of these stupid questions/problems we attempt to debate/solve are not black and white. The answer, as with most issues, is that it takes both sides! But that means both parties are somewhat to blame, held accountable, and that means nobody wins. *crosses arms* That's bologna! My side wins! Period! Anyway, it takes respect, communication, teaching, etc. It takes a village to raise an idiot, or non idiot, whatever, yaknow?

Anyway, It's about to rain again. We have had a ton of rain. Plants look good aside from the lil lime hydrangeas which are waterlogged and droopy.

I think that's true.

Someone mentioned this earlier, the chicken or the egg...

Do young people make the rules/change the tone/make cursing cool, or do the adults allow this to happen?

That's a stupid question because like most of these stupid questions/problems we attempt to debate/solve are not black and white. The answer, as with most issues, is that it takes both sides! But that means both parties are somewhat to blame, held accountable, and that means nobody wins. *crosses arms* That's bologna! My side wins! Period! Anyway, it takes respect, communication, teaching, etc. It takes a village to raise an idiot, or non idiot, whatever, yaknow?

Anyway, It's about to rain again. We have had a ton of rain. Plants look good aside from the lil lime hydrangeas which are waterlogged and droopy.

That's a good point, Mash. The way society behaves as a whole today may have started with one group (kids?) but it was allowed by another (adults?). At some point, the older generation, as a whole, quit saying "no." Maybe it started with all these psychology types saying we should quit punishing bad behavior because it damages their psyches. That we should understand they are expressing themselves, asserting independence, whatever.
That, of course filtered into everything: politics, religion, etc. I think it's become a vicious cycle

That's a good point, Mash. The way society behaves as a whole today may have started with one group (kids?) but it was allowed by another (adults?). At some point, the older generation, as a whole, quit saying "no." Maybe it started with all these psychology types saying we should quit punishing bad behavior because it damages their psyches. That we should understand they are expressing themselves, asserting independence, whatever.
That, of course filtered into everything: politics, religion, etc. I think it's become a vicious cycle
Preach sister preach

So - hi there D
hope all are well today
We've gotten some rain - was pouring a little while ago
Family took me out to dinner, tonight - that was nice :)
Hubby's hand looks great; considering he's diabetic, he is healing quickly and well. Fingertips look the littlest bit raw and red, but not nasty. There was no nerve or ligament damage, thank goodness.
Picked up the registration packet for my youngest today - so much paperwork to do. Fees aren't quite as bad as I feared. But now, I have to call the dr office and have them fill out this special form from his physical. Plus, now they have to have a new eye exam and a dental exam (neither or due yet, but they have to have one before school starts). The joys of being a parent, right? LOL

I think humans are no different than any other species in that one can absorb only so much change in a given time period before detrimental side effects occur. Think about the huge changes that have taken place in the past 100 years. Space flight, splitting the atom, medical advances, modern communications, transportation.....the list goes on. When I was in high school traveling to Florida was a huge deal. The interstates were not finished in long stretches. Going across country? Forget about that. Now people jet all over the world. The world news came on once a day for 30 minutes. Huntley/Brinkley or Cronkite. That was it. No one was exposed on a 24 hour basis to the bad things that went on. And bad things did happen..
The family unit was stronger - divorce was uncommon (at least in our community), church attendance was higher, and Sunday's were for family, not shopping at Walmart. Further, I believe we are reaching a point where human population growth is outstripping the resources available to it. Population growth in third world countries is out of control. This may offend some, but the Catholic Church needs to rethink its position on birth control. Any population of a species, when it reaches an unsustainable number, generally suffers a collapse until the numbers stabilize at a healthy level. Lemmings, starling populations, doves.....all breed in numbers that result in a reduction by whatever. Lemmings drown. Birds die of respiratory infections when roosting in large numbers.
It is a testimony to the hubris of humans to think we are above the laws of nature.

Mostly people don't know when to keep their mouths shut anymore. The guy that's supposed to be my supervisor is bad about letting out a string of curse words as we walk down the hall of the hospital. No filter. He thought it was cute when his (then) 3 yo dropped an f-bomb at the grocery store checkout. Now he has a 3 yo granddaughter dropping f-bombs. He let his kids call him Gordy, because he thought it was cool. I think it's disrespectful.

My neighbors next door are having issues with their 8 yo daughter (back talking, not minding). My wife & I have seen it building for a while. No discipline. I made the girl cry one day. She had been playing in the backyard with my daughter and had to go home for dinner. I made her help pick up toys before she left. It only took a few minutes. I talked to her mom later that night. She understood.

exactly - there is a time and a place for the language and/or the topic of conversation. If you're with a group of close friends, drinking or what not - no problem if that's ok with everyone. But in the workplace, or other public venue.....well, there are boundaries.

I've had the same problem with friends of my kids. My daughter came home one day when she was a teenager and brought a friend home with her. This friend automatically called me by my first name. I know it may not seem like a big deal, but I set the kid straight - you call me Mrs.K, not my first name. Some of the kids do call me Mom, or Momma K and that's fine - but they are the ones I've known for a while. This friend of my daughter's didn't come back because she thought I was rude.

I think humans are no different than any other species in that one can absorb only so much change in a given time period before detrimental side effects occur. Think about the huge changes that have taken place in the past 100 years. Space flight, splitting the atom, medical advances, modern communications, transportation.....the list goes on. When I was in high school traveling to Florida was a huge deal. The interstates were not finished in long stretches. Going across country? Forget about that. Now people jet all over the world. The world news came on once a day for 30 minutes. Huntley/Brinkley or Cronkite. That was it. No one was exposed on a 24 hour basis to the bad things that went on. And bad things did happen..
The family unit was stronger - divorce was uncommon (at least in our community), church attendance was higher, and Sunday's were for family, not shopping at Walmart. Further, I believe we are reaching a point where human population growth is outstripping the resources available to it. Population growth in third world countries is out of control. This may offend some, but the Catholic Church needs to rethink its position on birth control. Any population of a species, when it reaches an unsustainable number, generally suffers a collapse until the numbers stabilize at a healthy level. Lemmings, starling populations, doves.....all breed in numbers that result in a reduction by whatever. Lemmings drown. Birds die of respiratory infections when roosting in large numbers.
It is a testimony to the hubris of humans to think we are above the laws of nature.

Good post. I don't think many other generations have lived through as many technological and social changes than Don and I and some of the other older dudes on here have seen in our lifetimes. I really enjoy the technological advances. The social deterioration I'll never call a good thing. I just heard this statement today: "Fast progress going down the road is a good thing ... unless you're making fast progress down the wrong road."

Last edited:
So - hi there D
hope all are well today
We've gotten some rain - was pouring a little while ago
Family took me out to dinner, tonight - that was nice :)
Hubby's hand looks great; considering he's diabetic, he is healing quickly and well. Fingertips look the littlest bit raw and red, but not nasty. There was no nerve or ligament damage, thank goodness.
Picked up the registration packet for my youngest today - so much paperwork to do. Fees aren't quite as bad as I feared. But now, I have to call the dr office and have them fill out this special form from his physical. Plus, now they have to have a new eye exam and a dental exam (neither or due yet, but they have to have one before school starts). The joys of being a parent, right? LOL

I remember my first day in school. No kindergarten. Your mother just took you to your 1st Grade classroom and sent you in. The teacher just said (as you were no doubt crying) "Hello, what's your name?" That was it. TS

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT