ADVERTISEMENT

Could Purdue's size give us big problems?

Their lack of defense negates their height. They are ranked the #100 AdjD by KenPom.
This. They are surprisingly very mediocre on defense. It's going to be their undoing, but yes, they are very big and when clicking on offense, they can be a problem as they have shooters as well. If it comes to UK v Purdue, you guys take them in my opinion.

The key to defending Purdue is guarding the 3. Their guards are slow set shot shooters. Do not foul Ivey. He lives at the stripe. Guard their bigs straight up and force them out of the post. You can double early. Don’t dig because it leaves a shooter open. They are struggling a bit. They scored 62 points against a terrible Iowa defense. They don’t like being full court pressed either. Them and Wisconsin are the most overrated 3 seeds in a long time.

They don't have a good pg.. and Ivey commits a lot of stupid turnovers. Our guards would have no trouble forcing TO's.
He’s the quickest/fastest wing you will see all tournament. Dude has some jets. Just don’t foul him. He’s a great free throw shooter.

If you put the offensive statistics side by side, the teams pretty much mirror each other. I mean they are bizarrely similar.

Purdue gives up 2 points per game more than UK, so I think the Ken Pom advantage mentioned here might be a tad bit overblown.

The duo of Williams and Edey averages 26 and 15. Tshiewbwe is going to have a difficult time matching those numbers, especially against larger, fresher opponents.

I can't believe I am typing this but...advantage Purdue.

Grady and Stefanovic are the same player.

Ivey has a clear advantage over Ty Ty.

Wheeler has a clear advantage over the combination of Thomson and Hunter.

The four spot combos of Toppin\Brooks and Gillis\Furst may be where the game is won or lost. There is about a 7 point differential in UK's favor here...but does anyone really want to pin UK hopes on the scoring of Toppin and Brooks?

The one common opponent is North Carolina. Kentucky blew out the Tarheels, but Purdue did not have much of a problem with them either.

I cant imagine there will be a more evenly matched game in the tournament....on paper, at least.

Reactions: UK90
Yep. And he'll probably have us guarding Ivey tight on the three point line, allowing him to get to the rim at will. Dude shoots about 15% from 3, but we won't sag off him.
What are you talking about? Ivey shoots nearly 36% from 3. He’s better driving the ball, but he can put it in the basket from deep.

What are you talking about? Ivey shoots nearly 36% from 3. He’s better driving the ball, but he can put it in the basket from deep.
Yeah, that was addressed already, and I already admitted my error. Would you like me to do so again?

He takes a bunch from way outside the 3point line too. That’s how he gets in the lane so fast. Just don’t foul him. He’s looking for contact and finish. Purdue is very beatable. Slow guards.

Worry about your time, and I'll worry about mine. It's a message board with different opinions. If you can't handle that, maybe you should take up another of your hobbies.

i mean you are nonstop. Is the smile permanently upside down or are you a U of L fan?

They are extremely big on the frontline. 7'4, 6'10 at the four and five spots. Big teams have given us problems. Tennessee's length squeezed us in the paint.
We have the fastest big man in the country. They have the slowest big man in the country. All we have to do is push the tempo and Oscar will spend half the game alone under the rim. But of course, as we saw in the SEC tournament, when postseason time rolls around, Cal has no interest in pushing the tempo.

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
I'm not trying to be smart ass or piss on OP and a couple of other "fans" that start these look ahead threads. But you would think fans that truly love U.K. Basketball would not look so far ahead Especially since our first game has not been played. Just like calling our bracket "the easiest " we have had. I guess it's kind of like a reverse jinx if they mention it maybe will lose. I just don't look past anyone "Respect All and Fear None"!

They are extremely big on the frontline. 7'4, 6'10 at the four and five spots. Big teams have given us problems. Tennessee's length squeezed us in the paint.

Tennessee's length wasn't the issue, it was the way they smothered our wings and drew BS fouls on Oscar.

Wrong. Those two guys (Edey and Williams) both play the 5 spot and split time platooning for each other. They’re almost never on the floor at the same time.

Purdue’s starting 4 (Gillis) is only 6’6” and their starting 3 (Stefanovic) is 6’5”. So they’re really not big at the forward spots. The talk about Purdue’s size gets exaggerated, as it’s really only at the center spot. At the other four positions, Purdue is actually modest-sized.
Nailed it.

Purdue probably won't make it that far and according to the board experts the murray state racers are gonna beat uk.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT