ADVERTISEMENT

South Carolina

3 weeks? Sounds like he hurt his back more than hurting his shoulder.
It’s a dislocation. That’s a specific injury and has a return timetable. He has no general soreness in his shoulder which as we know can be a month or more.

Reactions: Catzman
I understand each game stands on its own, but I just don’t see them scaring y’all this year. Just run your normal stuff and your rotations and you’ll be fine.

Reactions: WCSPlayedWRInHS
Ah good to know, that's interesting!

I guess the following teams are not winning the championship this year then, I'll let them know.

Purdue (lost @ Nebraska and @ Northwestern)
UCONN (lost to Seton Hall)
Kansas (Lost to WVU)
Duke (Lost to Ga Tech)
Houston (lost to 2 unranked teams on the road back to back)

Come to think of it- I guess NOBODY is winning the championship this year- turns out every team in America has lost to a team that is worse than them on the road.

Damn, cancel the tournament.
You can post up whatever you want about Purdue or anyone else. If we can’t beat middle of the road SEC teams on the road, we aren’t winning the SEC and we aren’t going anywhere in the tournament.

I love this team and it is fun to watch but regardless of how this game turns out, if we don’t play better defense this season is going to end with more disappointment. You can’t expect to beat someone 95-90 every game. You have to be able to make a couple of stops.

They don't shoot the ball well. 43% fg and 33% from 3. Of course we know how that goes when Kentucky comes to town lol
Zone them. Let them shoot
Instead of you know.... Letting them drive by, order a sammich', and get to the rim..

They don't shoot the ball well. 43% fg and 33% from 3. Of course we know how that goes when Kentucky comes to town lol
"We" don't all know. What are opponents shooting percentages against us this season. I saw the number for Rupp where opponents this season are shooting a blistering 31% against us there. It probably is better when they are in their places but I haven't seen those numbers. What are they?

So South Carolina is interesting.

We just played arguably the largest human being in the SEC last night in Russell Tchewa (7'1, 275 pounds), who was a transfer from South Florida.

South Carolina's best big man is also a transfer from South Florida (and Wofford), but is only 6'7 and is pretty slow.

South Carolina does not have much size down low, they are arguably the smallest team in the conference.

We should have a considerable size advantage down low.

The question is, how much will Meechie Johnson drop on us.
White told Cal they are the roughest team they have played all year. So this should be a very physical game with lots of fouls. You know on the road they will try and balance out the fouls the best they can.

You can post up whatever you want about Purdue or anyone else. If we can’t beat middle of the road SEC teams on the road, we aren’t winning the SEC and we aren’t going anywhere in the tournament.

Your post just makes zero sense. Absolutely no sense, and there is no fact in it at all.

Last year, UCONN lost AT HOME to a BAD 7-13 St. John's team, followed it up by losing at a 10-10 Seton Hall team, got swept by Xavier, yet won the title. This year's South Carolina team is significantly better than all 3 of those teams.

Winning conference games on the road is HARD- this is a 15-3 South Carolina team that has wins over Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, Miss State, Mizzou and Arkansas.

They are a very solid team.

Anyone claiming that if we lose this game, it somehow means we are incapable of winning a championship are just plain wrong. Makes zero sense.

South Carolina doesn't match up with the new and improved version of UK basketball. The game is on the road at a place we have struggled in the past.
The big question is what kind of whistle do we get? We should handle this one if we come to take care of business, our mental approach is a bit suspect. I would like to see us really get pissed at a team and play angry for a change. Sometimes we seem a little too nice.

Reactions: Tampa_cat54
Your post just makes zero sense. Absolutely no sense, and there is no fact in it at all.

Last year, UCONN lost AT HOME to a BAD 7-13 St. John's team, followed it up by losing at a 10-10 Seton Hall team, got swept by Xavier, yet won the title. This year's South Carolina team is significantly better than all 3 of those teams.

Winning conference games on the road is HARD- this is a 15-3 South Carolina team that has wins over Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, Miss State, Mizzou and Arkansas.

They are a very solid team.

Anyone claiming that if we lose this game, it somehow means we are incapable of winning a championship are just plain wrong. Makes zero sense.
It does make sense. The team that doesn't lose games to teams they shouldn't will win the SEC. Good teams will beat up on each other. Losing to teams you are better than will separate the wheat from the chaff.

Also....I said middle of the road SEC teams. If you can't beat them you aren't winning anything. UNLESS you change your spots. Beat the teams you should on the road, win all your conference home games and you have a chance to win the league. If we can't beat teams that won't sniff the NCAA tournament, we aren't beating anyone past the sweet 16.

If we lose to South Carolina it is because we don't guard and if we don't start playing defense we aren't going anywhere in March. We all have complained about the offense in the past but nobody expected to trade poor offense for YMCA defense.

We just played arguably the largest human being in the SEC last night in Russell Tchewa (7'1, 275 pounds), who was a transfer from South Florida.

South Carolina's best big man is also a transfer from South Florida (and Wofford), but is only 6'7 and is pretty slow.

South Carolina does not have much size down low, they are arguably the smallest team in the conference.

We should have a considerable size advantage down low.

The question is, how much will Meechie Johnson drop on us.
Which begs the question, how tall is Z?! Z looked quite a bit taller than that guy. Also, Meechie Johnson is tough as nails.

Not trying to be a buzz-kill but we should temper our expectations. Getting Big Z and his performance were exciting, but he’s not going to set the arena on fire every game. If we don’t get our defense together, it’ll be a long night. That being said, I think we win and Go Big Blue!

Big Z made some mistakes, but he shined regardless.

The elbow to the face, and hanging on a rim when you know you ain't got someone breaking your fall...

Coach Cal could not have done a better job introducing UK fans to Big Z.

South Carolina will play extremely physical. They will foul UK from the time they get off the bus until they get back on. South Carolina will shoot 15 more free throws than UK.

Reactions: Lazlo7
South Carolina will play extremely physical. They will foul UK from the time they get off the bus until they get back on. South Carolina will shoot 15 more free throws than UK.
Which makes no sense because we really don't foul much (except 14 fouls in the 2nd half of UGA to get the spread back under the line...).

If we have equal fouls tomorrow, that will be a travesty. USC's style of play is totally different defensively than ours. It's no secret we aren't defensive juggernauts, nor are we considered "physical", so the refs should call a fair game and if USC fouls the most, call them and don't try to balance shit out.

If we have equal fouls tomorrow, that will be a travesty. USC's style of play is totally different defensively than ours. It's no secret we aren't defensive juggernauts, nor are we considered "physical", so the refs should call a fair game and if USC fouls the most, call them and don't try to balance shit out.
That made me laugh. FAIR @USCe and Vegas begging you to take UK.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TheDude73
I hope are outside shots are falling. I bet they will zone us for most of the game.

Big Z made some mistakes, but he shined regardless.

The elbow to the face, and hanging on a rim when you know you ain't got someone breaking your fall...

Coach Cal could not have done a better job introducing UK fans to Big Z.
Its not a tech in the Euro league

I hope are outside shots are falling. I bet they will zone us for most of the game.
I can't imagine any team primarily playing zone against our group.

Maybe a possession here or there to throw us off, but we have too much shooting and too many good passers. Plus, we have Mitchell, probably the best zone busting big man in college basketball.

Johnson scored 26 last year at Rupp going 6/10 from 3. Stute is out tomorrow and he is #2 3 point shooter on South Carolina. Johnson and Mack are the two to stop tomorrow night. If Kentucky can put up there points tomorrow night and play better defense like they did in 1st half vs. Miss. State then UK should win tomorrow night. Kentucky really needs this Win tomorrow night because Arkansas is a tough place to play and paying at Arkansas is another tough place to play. Reeves had 37 at Arkansas last year and Toppin 21 to win the season finale last year on the road.

I don’t care what the matchups are or who’s who, if we can’t beat South Carolina we are not winning anything this year. You have to beat teams you are better than even on the road.
We lost to Indiana on the road in 2012 and won the title. Your hyperbole doesn't dictate the season little fella.

According who the refs are. Will it be the kind of refs that try to make the foul calls look fair? Will it be the kind of refs that have a bias against us? Or will it be the kind of refs that just call it like they see it? Now that we are so talented and deep off the bench, a ref going after a certain player doesn't effect us near as much this year. Only thing left for a rogue ref is to call it one sided. Even then they have to overcome the number of shooters and scorers we have. They showed you last game how much difference they can make.

So we have a 33% chance of getting a couple of refs that just call it like they see it. Not a lot of those kind around IMO. It will probably be a couple that either is intimidated by the fans/coach, rogue, or the type that tries to balance things out by the end of the game.

Reactions: FFWhite
Teams don't zone us much. Passing and shooting are what beat a zone, and we happen to be excellent at both. This isn't the past where we rely on iso drives and a zone can shut it down. Get the ball to Mitchell at the free throw line and he can score or pass to a baseline cutter or to a spot up shooter.

Reactions: docholiday51
Lamont Paris very complementary of us. Said their focus is doing what they do best. Hearing him talk, he knows the challenge his team has and the number of things to overcome.

We lost to Indiana on the road in 2012 and won the title. Your hyperbole doesn't dictate the season little fella.
Who's using hyperbole there fruity? Indiana was a #4 seed in the tournament in 2012. That is not a bad road loss.

According who the refs are. Will it be the kind of refs that try to make the foul calls look fair? Will it be the kind of refs that have a bias against us? Or will it be the kind of refs that just call it like they see it? Now that we are so talented and deep off the bench, a ref going after a certain player doesn't effect us near as much this year. Only thing left for a rogue ref is to call it one sided. Even then they have to overcome the number of shooters and scorers we have. They showed you last game how much difference they can make.

So we have a 33% chance of getting a couple of refs that just call it like they see it. Not a lot of those kind around IMO. It will probably be a couple that either is intimidated by the fans/coach, rogue, or the type that tries to balance things out by the end of the game.
So we hope for good eyesight?

Perfect team to zone…..but for some asinine reason that isn’t an option for Cal.
OK. whoever had post #13 as their pick in the pool for when zone would first be mentioned in the thread, please reach out to collect your prize

Who's using hyperbole there fruity? Indiana was a #4 seed in the tournament in 2012. That is not a bad road loss.
If you can't beat them you aren't winning anything. If we can't beat teams that won't sniff the NCAA tournament, we aren't beating anyone past the sweet 16.

But you completely missed the point- and again- your argument makes no sense.

UCONN literally did this last year.

UCONN lost to teams FAR worse that South Carolina last year, and they won the title.

So how can you sit there after the proof provided and STILL say that if we lose to South Carolina, that means we have zero chance of winning a championship?

They year before, Kansas lost to an NIT Dayton team on a neutral site, yet somehow won the championship? According to you, that would mean that Kansas "isn't beating anyone past the Sweet 16"...yet somehow they did?

Year after year after year you can find title winners who lost tough games on the road to decent teams- South Carolina will contend for an NCAA Tournament bid, the place will be sold out, they will play out of their minds, etc.

How can you, with the evidence provided, still sit there and say that if we lose to South Carolina on the road, we have no chance to win a championship, when literally UCONN did it a year ago.

So he's too short and too slow? Sorry, I gotta root for him since he reminds me of me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT