ADVERTISEMENT

So we finally got burnt for it, huh?!

You do know Reed missed the same number of FT's as Rob, right? If Reed made his, we win as well.
That was a smart post by you. Reed missed his cause we were down 3 in OT and it was our only chance to win on a missed free throw and tip out. I guess according to you he should have made it and hope the refs and score keeper gave him 4 points for it

We aren't talking about whether or not Cal is a terrible coach

We are talking about that specific play. Having a 76% free throw shooter have the ball in his hands isn't the worst move in the world. It just isn't.
No one said it was. It was however a HUGE blunder not having your BEST free throw shooter on the floor trying to get the ball.

If Reed is on the floor and Dilly happens to get it, so be it. Taking Reed out of consideration is beyond idiotic.

TFHyNkY.png

That was a smart post by you. Reed missed his cause we were down 3 in OT and it was our only chance to win on a missed free throw and tip out. I guess according to you he should have made it and hope the refs and score keeper gave him 4 points for it
I never claimed he didn't miss it on purpose. I simply stated Reed and Dilly had the same numbers on the night and very similar numbes for the season. One over the other isn't a bad decision, particularly when Rob is better at getting open for the pass and Reed is a better passer. Reeves is the person we should be upset was getting the pass. He is an 87% ft shooter and the most experienced in those situations.

It wouldn't have mattered if he made it or missed. By that point, we were cooked.

Reed giving up multiple late 3's hurt as much as anything.

Missed the game, but have it recorded. Was off last night and slept right through it. Will watch later.

So, we finally got burnt because Cal had Reed inbounding the ball?! I remember people saying that it was okay before because it didn’t completely burn us last few times. We ended up hitting enough FTs to win. Cost us this game it seems. Cal is an inept floor coach. When are people gonna wake up?!

Edit: Also, you want your FIVE best FT shooters in at that point, no matter the position they play. Been preaching this all season!
I brought it up several games back when he inbounded to Bradshaw and got riddled by all brilliant basketball minds here.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
The other thing is Reed has a higher turnover rate than Rob on the season.

Florida had time. They could have tried for a steal before fouling. Maybe Cal just trusts Rob more in that situation than Reed

It’s not as clear cut as just get it to the 80% FT shooter guy
There's no way Cal will ever give any of this that much thought. He's incapable.

Missed the game, but have it recorded. Was off last night and slept right through it. Will watch later.

So, we finally got burnt because Cal had Reed inbounding the ball?! I remember people saying that it was okay before because it didn’t completely burn us last few times. We ended up hitting enough FTs to win. Cost us this game it seems. Cal is an inept floor coach. When are people gonna wake up?!

Edit: Also, you want your FIVE best FT shooters in at that point, no matter the position they play. Been preaching this all season!
We literally could not stop two of their guards. Also, Samuel was a big difference. Seemed like we had to score every time because it was evident they was going to score no matter how good of a defense we played. Our guys tried hard on defense but two of their guards seemed unconscious. If it wasn't for Ugo would have been a lot worse.

There's no way Cal will ever give any of this that much thought. He's incapable.

lol I'll give you that. There's a likelihood he didn't know that. Still if it was just a matter of "well I trust Rob in that situation" that's fine as well.

IMO the bigger blunder was not fouling up 3. And that one was 100% on the coach.

That being said, it was Florida who is a good team but not great, the game was at Rupp. Honestly if this team is to do anything come March, we shouldn't be in these situation to begin with against teams like this.

Last edited:
I never claimed he didn't miss it on purpose. I simply stated Reed and Dilly had the same numbers on the night and very similar numbes for the season. One over the other isn't a bad decision, particularly when Rob is better at getting open for the pass and Reed is a better passer. Reeves is the person we should be upset was getting the pass. He is an 87% ft shooter and the most experienced in those situations.

It wouldn't have mattered if he made it or missed. By that point, we were cooked.

Reed giving up multiple late 3's hurt as much as anything.
Except you said if Reed made his free throw, we win. Nice try for an explanation though.

It is mind numbingly stupid to have your best free throw shooter inbouning the ball in late game situations. It's coaching malpractice. Also, it amazes me how stubborn he continues to be. He cost Memphis a national title because he wouldn't foul while his team was up 3.

• Love
Except you said if Reed made his free throw, we win. Nice try for an explanation though.
Might have. Could have stolen it on the inbounds and made a game tying/winning play. We would have only needed a 2 to send it to another OT. 3 could have won it. I think it was Reeves who made a shot with like 0.6 on the clock a couple of games ago on an inbounds play.

It is mind numbingly stupid to have your best free throw shooter inbouning the ball in late game situations. It's coaching malpractice. Also, it amazes me how stubborn he continues to be. He cost Memphis a national title because he wouldn't foul while his team was up 3.
Umm...Reed isn't the best. Reeves is.

Also I happen to think having Reed inbound the ball isn't the worst thing in the world. He's the best passer on this team IMO. Plus a lot of times, you see the guy inbound the ball only to get it back seconds later.

But I also trust Rob to make free throws in that situation.
Best passer on the team? Yikes! I counted at least two horrific passes last night from Reed.

Uhm you realize the only FT Reed missed last night was the intentional miss right?
Thanks for the correction. Do you really want Reed inbounding the ball there? Or do you want your SECOND best FT shooter getting the ball. I want Reed take those shots, he is already proven that he is clutch.

Thanks for the correction. Do you really want Reed inbounding the ball there? Or do you want your SECOND best FT shooter getting the ball. I want Reed take those shots, he is already proven that he is clutch.
Oh as soon as Dilly got fouled, I text my buddy, man I'd be much more confident if Reed were taking these. I still didn't think there was any way we would lose when were up with 13 seconds left and shooting FTs, but Cal finds a way.

Oh as soon as Dilly got fouled, I text my buddy, man I'd be much more confident if Reed were taking these. I still didn't think there was any way we would lose when were up with 13 seconds left and shooting FTs, but Cal finds a way.
When Cal got here, all the UK shops sold stuff that said REFUSE TO LOSE all over it, last several years, they should be making so what other ways can I find to LOSE, merch.

No I don't think it cost us the game, our defense is what cost us the game Kentucky can't stop no one

I didn't do a good job of conveying that. I was trying to suggest that if a guy making horrific passes is your best passer, then you've got problems.
Eh, he made a couple bad ones, but you have trust he's going to make the right decision with the ball, his brilliant plays far outnumber his bad ones.

Reactions: UKortho
Best passer on the team? Yikes! I counted at least two horrific passes last night from Reed.

You're talking about specific situations. All players make bad passes every now and then. He has the second best assist rate on our team.

Doesn’t matter. We get the ball into Reed there and the game is over!
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a wonderful Christmas. There is tons of things in that game that had they gone differently we win. Shoot if just 1 of Tre Mitchells, 3 3s that circled around the rim before coming out goes in we win. He had his worst offensive game of the year, Reed made a couple bad decisions, Dilly made some bad decisions, Cal made several bad decisions. Any one of those things gets cut in half we win, but they didn't, gotta learn from it, move on, and hope for the best Saturday.

Reactions: Kybluedude
You do know Reed missed the same number of FT's as Rob, right? If Reed made his, we win as well.
Tell me you didn’t watch the game without telling me you didn’t watch the game. Reed missed his intentionally with .02 to go in overtime with us down by 3 as he was instructed by cal to do. I would have let Reed hit it and bring us within 2 and go for a quick steal but immediate foul if not. Hoping for a tap out rebound for a 3 to tie would not have been my strategy but either way was very low percentage.

Eh, he made a couple bad ones, but you have trust he's going to make the right decision with the ball, his brilliant plays far outnumber his bad ones.
Honestly, lately I don't have a lot of trust in Reed. Early in the season, yes. It's a given that he will give up as many of more points as he scores, off dumb passes and non-existent defense. He needs to be here another year and be forced to fixed those things.

Reactions: Ron Swanson
Tell me you didn’t watch the game without telling me you didn’t watch the game. Reed missed his intentionally with .02 to go in overtime with us down by 3 as he was instructed by cal to do. I would have let Reed hit it and bring us within 2 and go for a quick steal but immediate foul if not. Hoping for a tap out rebound for a 3 to tie would not have been my strategy but either way was very low percentage.
Tell me you didn't read the thread without telling me you didn't read the thread. This has already been discussed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT