ADVERTISEMENT

Commonwealth Stadium moves down to 2nd biggest in state come 2018 now

They got to fill them!

They will be filled for Miami, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, Kentucky, Florida State and Clemson. If we're ranked in the top 10 like we are now, they will also be filled for every other game, as well.

FWIW, when I parked at the Boy Scout lot (diagonally across from the baseball stadium) for the Friday night Duke game, a group of "UofL fans" dressed in black for the Blackout promotion got out of an SUV that had a UK vanity plate. As I walked from the lot, I passed another vehicle parked in that same lot also with a UK vanity plate. I probably wouldn't have noticed those two cars at all except for having read this thread!

I guess it could be something besides the obvious "UK basketball fans supporting UofL football" ... it could mean that UofL fans are stealing UK fans' cars in order to attend UofL football games!

I actually think that the facilities overhaul is one of the few things that MB has gotten right. Commowealth is a decent looking stadium now. The field looks great too. No reason to have 80,000 seats at the program that we have . Empty seats makes the TV appearance look bad and we can't fill what we have now.

I think I was right on this one. Every team including Bama is having trouble filling seats these days. Bad scheduling, high ticket prices, and great TV viewing experience, has all caused ticket demand to go down .

lexmiles_medium.jpg

u6 has surpassed us in empty seats as well!

I know I'm smiling - how 'bout you?

And oddly, the expansion turned out to fall just short of surpassing UK's capacity, much to the surprise/chagrin of U of L fans. Wildcard actually expressed his shock at the number of 60,000, when all had been told that it would be larger.

They will be filled for Miami, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, Kentucky, Florida State and Clemson. If we're ranked in the top 10 like we are now, they will also be filled for every other game, as well.

FWIW, when I parked at the Boy Scout lot (diagonally across from the baseball stadium) for the Friday night Duke game, a group of "UofL fans" dressed in black for the Blackout promotion got out of an SUV that had a UK vanity plate. As I walked from the lot, I passed another vehicle parked in that same lot also with a UK vanity plate. I probably wouldn't have noticed those two cars at all except for having read this thread!

I guess it could be something besides the obvious "UK basketball fans supporting UofL football" ... it could mean that UofL fans are stealing UK fans' cars in order to attend UofL football games!
UL football is total joke and your cheating ghetto commuter school basketball program is about to get the death penalty. You should be ashamed to support that shithole.

UL expansion plans moved up a year

Truly no better example of what Mitch Barnhart has caused to happen during his tenure as Athletic Director of the University of Kentucky. The '99 expansion of CM Newton bulldozed down by 8,000 seats, meanwhile UL zooming past us not only on the field winning most of the time against us & posting far better records, but now even seats up in the stands as well.

This article is from 2016. Did they end up doing the expansion? Article says it was supposed to open thi season...

Truly no better example of what Mitch Barnhart has caused to happen during his tenure as Athletic Director of the University of Kentucky. The '99 expansion of CM Newton bulldozed down by 8,000 seats, meanwhile UL zooming past us not only on the field winning most of the time against us & posting far better records, but now even seats up in the stands as well.
In reality news, attendance is down nationally...uk added new suits bringing in more money, and uofl cant fill their stadium.

Oh, and since then Escobar Jurich...turned out he was stealing money from the university to fund athletic projects.

Glad we have Mitch.

I've read multiple mentions here of disillusioned UK football fans switching allegiances to UofL. And although that would be a cool story to hear for a UofL fan, do any of you actually know someone who made that switch. I don't. As many of you know, I live in a mostly UK centric world with family, friends, and co-workers. I know plenty of disillusioned UK football fans (LONG time disillusioned fans), but I don't know, or have ever even heard first hand, of a single UK fan who came over the Cardinal's side, not even just for football. So, you tell me, is this rumor of wandering UK football fans fact or fiction? I'm guessing mostly fiction. Some of you guys may have lost interest in your football program, but I don't see any of you changing sides. You ARE traditionally admirably loyal like that. Kudos on that.

Yes I do know of a fan who made the switch... He and I shared football season tickets/football many years ago... He could not stand JB Hall's brand of basketball and when Crum's UofL team thumped us he busted a move...
Over the years I would see him and think "how well he fits in... He's a natural!:)

Ridiculous post. Attendance is down at most football venues. Mitch got rid of seats that were going unused and added suites that corporations would pay for. Most regular people cannot afford to go to games anymore or just don't have the time. UL won't even be able to pay for their expansion much less fill the place. Find something else to complain about Mitch and what he did or didn't do. This aint one of them. Jeez.

And oddly, the expansion turned out to fall just short of surpassing UK's capacity, much to the surprise/chagrin of U of L fans. Wildcard actually expressed his shock at the number of 60,000, when all had been told that it would be larger.

Those pink empty seats look awful on television. Vince needs to invest in some red paint.

Reactions: Wildcatsworld
Some gems.

yeah coming off 11 and 12 win season with Charlie, and now another solid one shaping up with Bobby and a heisman. Of course buying UL stock is hot right now.

There is absolutely no reason to add more seats to CWS.

What CM newton should have done was add suites/lounges/boxes etc as opposed to more regular seats. Can you imagine the corporation and big donor money that would have poured into the suites at the Peak of the Brooks era?

And it's not like they're expanding to Neyland Stadium size, they're really just catching up to what CWS was.

10-15 years from now when stadium attendance decreases even more nationally and when UL football is not on top of the world they'll come up with another great idea to downsize.

Not sure why you cherry picked one sentence out of a conversation.

Quote the entire conversation between me and the other poster next time for some context.

This was two years ago. UL was hot then, they did have a Heisman candidate. However, you make it seem like I was on their bandwagon when I was just pointing out the obvious.

However, you can see by reading the back and forth that the meat of the convo was about stadium size. I sided with MB downsizing CWS/Kroger Field in the era of slumping attendance and criticized UL for going big. Looks like my prediction that UL would not always be on top came true and a bigger stadium looks like a silly idea now.

Not sure why you cherry picked one sentence out of a conversation.

Quote the entire conversation between me and the other poster next time for some context.

This was two years ago. UL was hot then, they did have a Heisman candidate. However, you make it seem like I was on their bandwagon when I was just pointing out the obvious.

However, you can see by reading the back and forth that the meat of the convo was about stadium size. I sided with MB downsizing CWS/Kroger Field in the era of slumping attendance and criticized UL for going big. Looks like my prediction that UL would not always be on top came true and a bigger stadium looks like a silly idea now.

Your prediction looks silly. Sorry if you don’t like how I highlighted that part. But, what seems obvious today is not always true tomorrow.

Your prediction looks silly. Sorry if you don’t like how I highlighted that part. But, what seems obvious today is not always true tomorrow.

What prediction?

You are severely misunderstanding the context of the entire conversation that I had.

The only thing I predicted was UL wouldn't always be so hot and that expanding the stadium would end up looking silly. That prediction seems to be spot on.

That one sentence about UL being hot coming off a couple double-digit win seasons wasn't a prediction, that was just stating a fact in reference to their fairly recent, at the time, 11 and 12 win seasons.

Literally, have no idea what point you're trying to prove. Not sure why you would cherry pick some quotes from a thread about stadium renovations that's a couple years old.

Absolutely!

Louisville blows out Alabama 34-7 in the Fiesta Bowl, beats Michigan State in the Liberty Bowl, blows out Texas at home, has programs such as Tennessee, Florida State, Texas, WVU, Texas A&M, Arizona State visiting Louisville's stadium. They had the National Championship coach from Miami leading their program and bringing in tons of Florida kids and he is pushing for a new stadium to be built.

They definitely needed Kentucky football to bring them up a level.
That's the dream Howard sold Louisville on. Let's strive to be UK football.

LOL!

I know that's the kind of stuff most of you believe.
2-10 overall, 0 for the ACC, and 10 to 56 against "LPT". Nice season, sport.

What happened to that poster who started the thread. My apologies if he is no longer with us literally or does not post anymore. Just curious

Barnhardt seems to be a pretty smart guy that would look at a lot of marketing surveys before adding or reducing seats. Looks like he made the right decision.
Jurich had an ego like Trump's. Just wanted U6's stadium to be bigger than Commonwealth.....need/cost basis be damned.

Reactions: southindycat
Right on most fronts, but the calculated risk that Jurich has been taking for years and years is that the media has a short memory. Do we still hear pretty frequent jokes about what a slime bag Petrino is? Sure? Do we still hear motorcycle jokes from national columnists? Sure. But, we hear a lot more about Lamar Jackson and Bobby's "coaching genius" than we do those things now. TJ is probably the dirtiest athletic director in the country, but he knows what he is doing. Ride the storm out long enough, and blue skies will be ahead.

All of the above is true, UNLESS they someday get caught doing something so bad that it shuts them down (or handicaps them severely). It's pretty clear that they have a university-wide culture of corruption (every day there is a new article - today's article from Eric Cardinal at WDRB talks about how UL's endowment lost a ton of money last year and much of that lost came from "intra-university" loans which seem shady as hell). The only way things change over there is if the new president comes in and cleans house. I wouldn't bet on it.
Truer words were never spoken!

That prediction. It was a bad investment.

You need to go back and read the first page or two and get a full grasp on the discussion I was having with some other poster. My whole argument was that stadium expansion is bad.

That "of course UL stock is hot right now..." was me replying to whomever it was I was replying to two years ago. That very quote is not even a prediction, it was a sarcastic statement of the obvious. UL was a hot ticket back then.

Again, you took something out of context and made it out to be something that it is not.

ADVERTISEMENT