ADVERTISEMENT

Commonwealth Stadium moves down to 2nd biggest in state come 2018 now

Almost like you didn't even click the article I linked where UL claimed they have already sold the suits, premiums, and 50% of the general admission tickets on this expansion that moves them to bigger capacity than Commonwealth.....
Let's get this correct.....It is not 50% of the GA tickets. It is 50% of the "Club" seating.....

This makes little sense. If I am Barnhart, and if I see empty seats, I am opening the gates at halftime and inviting everyone in for $10, $1, or free.
I want the stadium to appear as full as possible. I would want people in the stadium where they would buy shirts, jerseys, hot dogs, whatever puts money into the pockets of the athletic dept.
Giving seats away makes more money than keeping them empty.
The past two years and maybe further back I'm not sure, UK has sold tickets as cheap as $25 so they are trying to do what they can to get fans in the stands. They just need to put a team out there that is competitive and attendance won't be a problem at all.

Reactions: Shavers48
Louisville is absolutely kicking Topbutton and UK's ass everywhere except for basketball.

Just take a drive to elizabethown, Somerset, Lawrenceburg, Danville... name the town. You used to be hard pressed to find a UofL fan anywhere. Now I'd say Etown you see about 60-40 blue and in Somerset/Danville it's probably about 70-30.

Not true....so far in the 2016-17 school year, UK has not lost to UL. Swept UL in volleyball a couple of weeks ago which is I think 5 straight years now and both UK soccer teams beat UL recently. I know these sports don't matter to most on here but lets at least get the facts right. Other than FB and baseball, UK has actually kicked UL's ass. I do think UL beat UK in a swim meet last year.

Not true....so far in the 2016-17 school year, UK has not lost to UL. Swept UL in volleyball a couple of weeks ago which is I think 5 straight years now and both UK soccer teams beat UL recently. I know these sports don't matter to most on here but lets at least get the facts right. Other than FB and baseball, UK has actually kicked UL's ass. I do think UL beat UK in a swim meet last year.
Don't be using facts on people with an agenda lol.

of course none of this would have happened without the original sin of 1994, CM Newton starting the annual UK-UL game. we reached way way down, grabbed their program by the hand, and yanked them up to our level. all so CM could sell season tickets & avoid firing Bill Curry.
Good story but you forgot the part about plans and fund raising for PJCS being underway before the UK contract was signed. Fund raising began in 1992 and ground breaking was in 1996. The nature of the contract (all games in Lexington until UofL builds a "suitable venue") may well have accelerated the project by a year or 2 but it was happening with or without the UK game. Oh, and you also left out the part about no state money.

That's due to a 100% shady, and potentially illegal, lease deal that UL negotiated with "the city". I prefer UK not to dip to those levels just to say "we're the most profitable program in the country".
The UofL lease for YUM! is collectively; (a) 10% of ticket sales + (b) $2 ticket surcharge + (c) 12.5% of annual suite rental for men's basketball game (same terms but 5% for women's games). For this coming season that works out to be about $6/ticket sold for rent or about $120,000/game for a crowd of 20,000 excluding suite revenue. UK currently leases Rupp Arena for a flat $25,000/game. The original lease of $30K - $50K per game was was actually negotiated down by UK in 1998.

[winking]

Peace

personally, the wins are coming where the care is least. looks like a political bureaucrat at work taking the easy path.

Reactions: brianpoe
I knew the new renovations would cause UL to whip out their tally wacker so as not to be out done. But look at what they're doing. They're expanding, which is fine, but what happens when P leaves and things regress back to the mean for the cards. Empty seats. We all know there isn't a more fair weather fan base the UL. They come out of the woodwork during good football years and act like they're Ohio State or Bama and have been there for a while. But sooner or later things will eventually settle to what they should be and the Pizza Pit will be empty.
You know, you could also say the expansion of the upper deck and addition of more suites to PJCS also spurred UK's interest in adding suites of their own and thus the recent remodel to CWS as we all know it. The mention by you that "they come out of the woodwork during good years" could also be termed for the Kentucky fans of late.....or fans of any program for that matter. What you don't want to do is plan for the bad years. Your goal should always be to compete and give your coach and players the facilities they need to meet the goals of the program.

While UK has won the head to head games or matches, I think one needs to take a deeper look at who has had more overall success.

UofL's men's soccer is ranked 8th and the Women are ranked 21st. Just a few years ago UofL's men's soccer played for the National title. Baseball has made a few trips to the College World Series, Womens Basketball has been to the Final Four and made the Title game. Men's Basketball won a Title and of course football has been to the Orange And Sugar Bowls and won both.

Reactions: TDredbird
When Kentucky fields a team that can sell out what we got every game then one day they will expand CWS

Oh how soon they forget, in 07 we averaged capacity with a team that didn't break even in the SEC.

mitch is almost totally responsible for making the reduction remotely possible. Congrats.

Next years team WILL have more raw talent, what they do with it remains to be seen.

Oh how soon they forget, in 07 we averaged capacity with a team that didn't break even in the SEC.

mitch is almost totally responsible for making the reduction remotely possible. Congrats.

Next years team WILL have more raw talent, what they do with it remains to be seen.
That's true but that team was competitive and fun to watch. Went into every game thing there's a chance to win. Here we are in 2016 hoping to make it out of the bama game with no injuries. If after that 07 team we continued to get better and make strides in the sec. then I'm almost certain cws gets bigger. But instead the program has progressively gotten worse since and can't even fill that tiny stadium we have now.

That's true but that team was competitive and fun to watch. Went into every game thing there's a chance to win. Here we are in 2016 hoping to make it out of the bama game with no injuries. If after that 07 team we continued to get better and make strides in the sec. then I'm almost certain cws gets bigger. But instead the program has progressively gotten worse since and can't even fill that tiny stadium we have now.
61,000 is not "tiny."

^ True...compared to Norfolk State and ETSU, we are hands down better. Compared to the SEC and the P5, not so much.

Compared to the rest of SEC it's small but with the rest of the P5 a 61k stadium is very comparable. At this point and time it's definitely big enough. If the program ever becomes a consistent winner then I'm sure an expansion would be a top priority.

Well, I just don't get it. We make all these upgrades thinking a Stoops is the man, then throw away 8k seats. Doesn't really matter to me right now but I hope we get the right guys in place and eventually add some more.

I hate Louisville and I hate Jurich but he's one hell of a businessman because he takes risks. It's paid off for them and they'll be a perennial top 10 program playing on New Years Day while we watch basketball.

Reactions: beasleythecard
zero? you think we exist in a vacuum, that there are not people who now pay to watch football at Papa Johns stadium that used to pay to attend Commonwealth? You think there are not fans who have been chased away from UK due to the Barnhart mediocrity & drawn in to the flashy almost constant winning with great coaches & great QB's at UL? Corporate & business dollars are not being pulled in to the winning team away from the losing one? That what you think?

denial isnt just a river in Egypt apparently....
Hey now.... that's a thought. There has never been a discussion of, one time UK football fans, heading to the red seats for whatever reason...

I don't know of one but would guess they're out there... I do think that UK has lost the opportunity to bring in new fans... The transplant that might come to Kentucky looking for a game to watch... The not so dyed-in-the-wool, Blue fan.... They might gain a fan for basketball but not football... I know folks that have UofL tickets (football) but have had their kids go to UK....

Absolutely!

Louisville blows out Alabama 34-7 in the Fiesta Bowl, beats Michigan State in the Liberty Bowl, blows out Texas at home, has programs such as Tennessee, Florida State, Texas, WVU, Texas A&M, Arizona State visiting Louisville's stadium. They had the National Championship coach from Miami leading their program and bringing in tons of Florida kids and he is pushing for a new stadium to be built.

They definitely needed Kentucky football to bring them up a level.
That's the dream Howard sold Louisville on. Let's strive to be UK football.

LOL!

I know that's the kind of stuff most of you believe.
That's due to a 100% shady, and potentially illegal, lease deal that UL negotiated with "the city". I prefer UK not to dip to those levels just to say "we're the most profitable program in the country".
FYI. The reality is that there was nothing shady or illegal about the Yum Center lease. The city needed UofL as the anchor tenant in order for it to be built. UofL was proceeding with plans to build an arena on campus before the city approached them with the Yum Center deal.

FYI. The reality is that there was nothing shady or illegal about the Yum Center lease. The city needed UofL as the anchor tenant in order for it to be built. UofL was proceeding with plans to build an arena on campus before the city approached them with the Yum Center deal.
completely false.

Reactions: brianpoe
Such ignorance. UL had zero plans to build their own bball arena, none.

And who in "The City" negotiated the Yum contract? Nothing but UL alums & UL board of trustee members & UL fans.

Reactions: sefus12
Completely true. Louisville was looking to go on campus, the Fairgrounds then came up with a cool proposal with renderings and then came the lob from downtown and the mayor that they wanted an arena down on the river.
interesting spin. UL used a phantom on campus ruse to leverage the terms on a downtown arena w McConnell involved in everything putting the political screws to all. thus, when/if the bonds to fund go into default the school can buy the whole thing for cents on the dollar. a more corrupt structure you could not imagine if you tried.

Reactions: sefus12
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/180270918/

Sorry, but there were proposals for one to go on the silo site and then the KFEC was pushing hard to keep UofL there with a 21,500 expansion/remodel. UofL really was pushing for those two options when city leaders got involved and arm twisted UofL into a deal they just couldn't refuse.
This. UofL was sort of being a good soldier. This is not what they initially wanted and Tom and the university bent over backwards to help the city and be a good citizen.

UofL wanted an on campus arena. I've heard Cowgill and Tom say as much. The city wanted this new arena and NEEDED UofL to make it viable. UofL sacrificed a ton on behalf of the city.

Let's get this correct.....It is not 50% of the GA tickets. It is 50% of the "Club" seating.....
I haven't seen the article but I know the projections that were done when this was being presented showed that they would have no trouble selling out this portion of the stadium. Tom has long mentioned the lengthy waiting list for season tickets. There will be some happy fans that have been waiting for their chance to get tickets that they are actually finally able to attend games.

A little off topic. This thread is about the size of the football stadiums here.

A question about Kentucky's stadium size. I believe it was 68,000 prior and it is what, 63,000 now? Why do Kentucky fans believe the stadium size is what it is? Here is what I'm getting at. Kentucky is an SEC school and has most of the fans statewide. Louisville didn't even begin to strive to play big time football until 85' when they brought in Howard and didn't even get a real stadium until 98'. Louisville's fan base is based mainly in Jefferson County and the surrounding counties. So, UK has been the only football game in town up until the late 80's. Up until then there weren't even any other major division one teams in the state.

So why doesn't UK have an 80,000 seat stadium like the other SEC schools? 68,000 is good but it isn't 85,000-90,000.

I looked at state size but Alabama, even though it is football crazy it is still a small state. I found Alabama with a stadium size of 101,000 and Auburn with a stadium size of 87,000 and their population is 4.8 million. They support two massive fan bases and stadiums. Kentucky's population is 4.4 million so even though it is technically a little smaller it is basically the same size as Alabama. The split in Alabama is a little closer to 50/50 their as Auburn has a history going back decades and their are lots of fans for each fan base and each fan base/stadium is huge.

Kentucky has never had that 50/50, 60/40 type fan base situation going back for decades. UK was the ONLY football game in town and it has been an SEC member for 80 plus years. UK fans boast how passionate and loyal and how much they love the cats. That's true for basketball and although Kentucky fans care more about basketball than football it would still seem as though a state with 4.4 million citizens and when most root for UK over Louisville that their stadium size would be on the line of 80,000-90,000.

South Carolina also has about 4.8 million people and they have two college stadiums of 80,000. (81,500 Clemson, 80,000 SC). That's another state with the same population with two much larger stadiums.

Why is Kentucky in the 60,000 range and was only at 50,000 range until 1999?

Based on other college football fan bases in the area in similar sized states it seems that UK would have an 80,000 seat stadium, or even bigger since they don't have the normal 50/50, 60/40 type of fan split. UK has the football fan base majority.

Arkansas has a 72,000 capacity stadium and only a 2.9 million population. Any theories?

Is it just the passion for football being that much below basketball?

Kentucky is a basketball state, simple as that. The traditions that other SEC/ACC states have towards football that allow for large stadiums go towards basketball in Kentucky. It's why you have two very large college basketball arenas in this state while other similarly sized states don't even have one of the size of either the Yum Center or Rupp.

of course none of this would have happened without the original sin of 1994, CM Newton starting the annual UK-UL game. we reached way way down, grabbed their program by the hand, and yanked them up to our level. all so CM could sell season tickets & avoid firing Bill Curry.

Gotta disagree. Yes, becoming better than UK was a part of a much larger plan, but it wasn't UK that reached down and pulled us up. That decision and plan was laid into motion in 1985 when UofL chose between hiring Schnellenberger or dropping to D-2.

Before the UK series, we already had several bowl wins, wins against good teams, etc.

Other than a stadium, we were at your level or perhaps a bit better when the series started.

A little off topic. This thread is about the size of the football stadiums here.

A question about Kentucky's stadium size. I believe it was 68,000 prior and it is what, 63,000 now? Why do Kentucky fans believe the stadium size is what it is? Here is what I'm getting at. Kentucky is an SEC school and has most of the fans statewide. Louisville didn't even begin to strive to play big time football until 85' when they brought in Howard and didn't even get a real stadium until 98'. Louisville's fan base is based mainly in Jefferson County and the surrounding counties. So, UK has been the only football game in town up until the late 80's. Up until then there weren't even any other major division one teams in the state.

So why doesn't UK have an 80,000 seat stadium like the other SEC schools? 68,000 is good but it isn't 85,000-90,000.

I looked at state size but Alabama, even though it is football crazy it is still a small state. I found Alabama with a stadium size of 101,000 and Auburn with a stadium size of 87,000 and their population is 4.8 million. They support two massive fan bases and stadiums. Kentucky's population is 4.4 million so even though it is technically a little smaller it is basically the same size as Alabama. The split in Alabama is a little closer to 50/50 their as Auburn has a history going back decades and their are lots of fans for each fan base and each fan base/stadium is huge.

Kentucky has never had that 50/50, 60/40 type fan base situation going back for decades. UK was the ONLY football game in town and it has been an SEC member for 80 plus years. UK fans boast how passionate and loyal and how much they love the cats. That's true for basketball and although Kentucky fans care more about basketball than football it would still seem as though a state with 4.4 million citizens and when most root for UK over Louisville that their stadium size would be on the line of 80,000-90,000.

South Carolina also has about 4.8 million people and they have two college stadiums of 80,000. (81,500 Clemson, 80,000 SC). That's another state with the same population with two much larger stadiums.

Why is Kentucky in the 60,000 range and was only at 50,000 range until 1999?

Based on other college football fan bases in the area in similar sized states it seems that UK would have an 80,000 seat stadium, or even bigger since they don't have the normal 50/50, 60/40 type of fan split. UK has the football fan base majority.

Arkansas has a 72,000 capacity stadium and only a 2.9 million population. Any theories?

Is it just the passion for football being that much below basketball?

It's called WINNING...IF UK had a history of winning like those teams my guess is UK would have about an 80-85k seat stadium... if the program can ever get to where it averages 8-9 wins a season and occasionally throwing a ten win season in you would see one then...it's All about winning...why do you think Otis has, and puts up with, the two biggest Scumbags in college sports...winning!!!

Last edited:
Howard Schnellenberger got UL where it is, not UK. Of course, we were too stupid to hire that guy. They were going to drop the sport altogether until he came along. They were not part of any conference and Weber had them in the toilet. Howard had the confidence and know-how to succeed.

UL dallied is piss poor conferences (C-USA, BE) and gained attention by winning games, even if their overall competition was weak. They mostly hired good coaches and when they did something stupid, like Kragthorpe, they didn't repeat the mistake. Now they are as good as anyone out there.

UK had the misfortune of playing in the SEC and not adapting to it because of shitty administrators and terrible hires. Yet we constantly laugh at UL for their competition level all the while puffing our chest at being in a conference we cannot even compete in. It took time, but a lot of UK fans came to realize this and quit laughing and just got mad. Some even switched sides.

But UL didn't do it all the right way. They hired scummy assistants, took in players that couldn't get in anywhere else and often looked the other way with dirty players. (Sort of like the basketball program did with whores) But now nobody cares because they are winning. And winning a lot. Not my idea of how to succeed, but I suspect many UK fans would love for us to do the same as long as we could get better.

Now we are way behind. And I suspect we will never catch up as long as Barnhart is our AD and Peetrino is their coach, but who knows.

And buster and his other bird buddies can GTFO.

Louisville is just playing the game teams in the playoff are playing. Just last weekend against UK, a kid caught with a gun was suspended a half, earlier in the year Bama's AA LT was caught with a stolen gun and a bag of pot, didn't miss a snap. Now that Urban is away from UF, it looks like he was as much a warden as a coach with some of the characters he had that never missed a snap, you think he has changed that approach at tOSU? FSU had a qb charged with rape and had to be forced to sit him a game. Tressell was forced to retire for lying to the NCAA about improper benefits for tOSU players, they are as dirty as any SEC team other than maybe Auburn and OM who just pay them OU recruited a kid kicked out of Missouri for throwing a girl down a flight of stairs, one of the RBs on this years team crushed a girls face. Its all about winning to some programs, how it does it doesn't matter and they are winning big.

drop Little Brother from the schedule..today..

As long as UofL and UK are in the ACC and the SEC the game between schools cannot be stop per the ESPN ACC vs SEC rivalry weekend. The only way Kentucky can stop playing Louisville is if Louisville left the ACC or Kentucky left the SEC. Until then this game will continue uninterrupted from now on and forever.

As long as UofL and UK are in the ACC and the SEC the game between schools cannot be stop per the ESPN ACC vs SEC rivalry weekend. The only way Kentucky can stop playing Louisville is if Louisville left the ACC or Kentucky left the SEC. Until then this game will continue uninterrupted from now on and forever.
yeah, because, like, those TV contract never expire.

Lol that is funny cause if you look back both UofL and UK each had 6 winning season from 1974-1993. Two of those six U.K. Actually finished .500. So tell me again exactly how UK brought UofL up to UK's level ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT