ADVERTISEMENT

Commonwealth Stadium moves down to 2nd biggest in state come 2018 now

JHB4UK

All-American
May 29, 2001
UL expansion plans moved up a year

Truly no better example of what Mitch Barnhart has caused to happen during his tenure as Athletic Director of the University of Kentucky. The '99 expansion of CM Newton bulldozed down by 8,000 seats, meanwhile UL zooming past us not only on the field winning most of the time against us & posting far better records, but now even seats up in the stands as well.

of course none of this would have happened without the original sin of 1994, CM Newton starting the annual UK-UL game. we reached way way down, grabbed their program by the hand, and yanked them up to our level. all so CM could sell season tickets & avoid firing Bill Curry.

I'm amazed at the reaching and stretching people will do to bash Mitch Barnhart. I get most people's criticisms of him but U of L expanding their stadium has zero to do with anything Barnhart has done.
I guess it's just a sign of the times. UofL is at the peak of its program and UK is stuck in mediocrity and seems content to be there.

I'm amazed at the reaching and stretching people will do to bash Mitch Barnhart. I get most people's criticisms of him but U of L expanding their stadium has zero to do with anything Barnhart has done.
zero? you think we exist in a vacuum, that there are not people who now pay to watch football at Papa Johns stadium that used to pay to attend Commonwealth? You think there are not fans who have been chased away from UK due to the Barnhart mediocrity & drawn in to the flashy almost constant winning with great coaches & great QB's at UL? Corporate & business dollars are not being pulled in to the winning team away from the losing one? That what you think?

denial isnt just a river in Egypt apparently....

I actually think that the facilities overhaul is one of the few things that MB has gotten right. Commowealth is a decent looking stadium now. The field looks great too. No reason to have 80,000 seats at the program that we have . Empty seats makes the TV appearance look bad and we can't fill what we have now.

I actually think that the facilities overhaul is one of the few things that MB has gotten right. Commowealth is a decent looking stadium now. The field looks great too. No reason to have 80,000 seats at the program that we have . Empty seats makes the TV appearance look bad and we can't fill what we have now.
You're badly missing the point...

of course none of this would have happened without the original sin of 1994, CM Newton starting the annual UK-UL game. we reached way way down, grabbed their program by the hand, and yanked them up to our level. all so CM could sell season tickets & avoid firing Bill Curry.

Absolutely!

Louisville blows out Alabama 34-7 in the Fiesta Bowl, beats Michigan State in the Liberty Bowl, blows out Texas at home, has programs such as Tennessee, Florida State, Texas, WVU, Texas A&M, Arizona State visiting Louisville's stadium. They had the National Championship coach from Miami leading their program and bringing in tons of Florida kids and he is pushing for a new stadium to be built.

They definitely needed Kentucky football to bring them up a level.
That's the dream Howard sold Louisville on. Let's strive to be UK football.

LOL!

I know that's the kind of stuff most of you believe.

There are things to question and critique MB about, the CWS renovations are not on the list.

The downsizing of seats, to make room for some suites is one of the smartest things MB has done.

Folks, this is not the time to be expanding stadiums. We live in an era where game day attendance is down nearly across the board in all sports.

It used to be the only way to really see and experience sports is going to the game. Now in the era of large flat screens, home entertainment systems, sports bars with 20 TVs, etc...folks have other options.

In addition, you have a whole generation of people growing up in an era where football is made out to be a villain. Concussions, potty language, manly culture in the locker rooms, etc. Not necessarily for the thin-skinned pc generations that are being groomed today.

The rise in popularity of other sports and weekend activities is playing a factor as well. Soccer mainly. People aren't all about spending their entire day at a stadium or even watching football at home, they rather do other things.

You can spend a couple hundred bucks (tickets, gas, $9 sandwiches, $3 bottles of waters, etc) on game day going to the stadium. Then you have to deal with crowds and traffic. Or you can go to your friend's house or meet up at a sports bar, see all the football games that are on, and save money.

On the athletic department side of things, they can make more money off selling one suite for a season than 8,000 nosebleed seats. So we all always holler about paying more money for staff and football things, whatever we fans were spending on a single game or even season tickets wasn't cutting it. But the money corporations will spend on the boxes/suites will. You want a top coach and staff, suites/boxes/woodford reserve lounge is how you fund it.

Also, MB is looking down the road and planning for when UK football starts to win and get to bowls. Supply and demand. 8,000 fewer seats, increased demand means being able to raise ticket prices.

I knew the new renovations would cause UL to whip out their tally wacker so as not to be out done. But look at what they're doing. They're expanding, which is fine, but what happens when P leaves and things regress back to the mean for the cards. Empty seats. We all know there isn't a more fair weather fan base than UL. They come out of the woodwork during good football years and act like they're Ohio State or Bama and have been there for a while. But sooner or later things will eventually settle to what they should be and the Pizza Pit will be empty.

Last edited:
Only way you change the momentum , is UK start winning more football games ! Glorified high school play on a SEC field , isn't a good marketing strategy ! SoMiss anyone, "sposed to be SEC"!?

Reactions: brianpoe
Absolutely!

Louisville blows out Alabama 34-7 in the Fiesta Bowl, beats Michigan State in the Liberty Bowl, blows out Texas at home, has programs such as Tennessee, Florida State, Texas, WVU, Texas A&M, Arizona State visiting Louisville's stadium. They had the National Championship coach from Miami leading their program and bringing in tons of Florida kids and he is pushing for a new stadium to be built.

LOL!

Lol sad but true! Suckreocrity is where the UK FOOTBALL PROGRAM REIGNS!!

There are things to question and critique MB about, the CWS renovations are not on the list.

The downsizing of seats, to make room for some suites is one of the smartest things MB has done.

Folks, this is not the time to be expanding stadiums. We live in an era where game day attendance is down nearly across the board in all sports.

It used to be the only way to really see and experience sports is going to the game. Now in the era of large flat screens, home entertainment systems, sports bars with 20 tvs, etc...folks have other options.

In addition you have a whole generation of people growing up in an era where football is made out to be a villain. Concussions, potty language, manly culture in the locker rooms, etc. Not necessarily for the thin skinned pc generations that are being groomed today.

The rise in popularity of other sports and weekend activities is playing a factor as well. Soccer mainly. People aren't all about spending their entire day at a stadium or even watching football at home, they rather do other things.

You can spend a couple hundred bucks (tickets, gas, $9 sandwiches, $3 bottles of waters, etc) on game day going to the stadium. Then you have to deal with crowds and traffic. Or you can go to your friend's house or meet up at a sports bar, see all the football games that are on, and save money.

On the athletic department side of things, they can make more money off selling one suite for a season than 8,000 nose bleed seats. So we all always holler about paying more money for staff and football things, guess what ever we fans were spending on single game or even season tickets weren't cutting it. But the money corporations will spend on the boxes/suites will. You want a top coach and staff, suites/boxes/woodford reserve lounge is how you fund it.

Also, MB is looking down the road and planning for when UK football starts to win and get to bowls. Supply and demand. 8,000 less seats, increased demand means being able to raise ticket prices.

I knew the new renovations would cause UL to whip out their tally wacker so as not to be out done. But look at what they're doing. They're expanding, which is fine, but what happens when P leaves and things regress back to the mean for the cards. Empty seats. We all know there isn't a more fair weather fan base the UL. They come out of the woodwork during good football years and act like they're Ohio State or Bama and have been there for a while. But sooner or later things will eventually settle to what they should be and the Pizza Pit will be empty.

Very well said. My thought exactly when they first announced their stadium expansion. Not many teams expand their stadium when they rarely ever have a packed house as it is. Remember Bridgewaters swan song on SR day, there may have been 35,000 people there. UofL has a potential national title contender this year so the crowds may very well show up the remainder of this year but as you stated the fair weather fans will not continue to show up when that is not the case. Heck a 9-3 regular season is not good enough for them to pack the house week in and week out. Let them add 20,000 more seats for all I care, will look that much more dumb come any given game day.

It used to be the only way to really see and experience sports is going to the game. Now in the era of large flat screens, home entertainment systems, sports bars with 20 tvs, etc...folks have other options.
Almost like you didn't even click the article I linked where UL claimed they have already sold the suits, premiums, and 50% of the general admission tickets on this expansion that moves them to bigger capacity than Commonwealth.....

LOL. And what level exactly was UK at that UL was striving to be? Kind of like how I am sure Kansas State always yearned to be at the level of the University of Kansas football program.

Almost like you didn't even click the article I linked where UL claimed they have already sold the suits, premiums, and 50% of the general admission tickets on this expansion that moves them to bigger capacity than Commonwealth.....

yeah coming off 11 and 12 win season with Charlie, and now another solid one shaping up with Bobby and a heisman. Of course buying UL stock is hot right now.

There is absolutely no reason to add more seats to CWS.

What CM newton should have done was add suites/lounges/boxes etc as opposed to more regular seats. Can you imagine the corporation and big donor money that would have poured into the suites at the Peak of the Brooks era?

And it's not like they're expanding to Neyland Stadium size, they're really just catching up to what CWS was.

10-15 years from now when stadium attendance decreases even more nationally and when UL football is not on top of the world they'll come up with another great idea to downsize.

LOL. And what level exactly was UK at that UL was striving to be? Kind of like how I am sure Kansas State always yearned to be at the level of the University of Kansas football program.
to be a school in a power conference playing in an actual football stadium, not a triple A awful baseball facility. Now thanks in large part to UK's helping hands, they have achieved that.

you are remarkably ignorant and in denial of what state UL football was in back in the 1980's and even early 90's if you think they were already comparable to UK football, remarkably. educate yourself before speaking so foolishly on the topic again.

Much to my dismay, if not disbelief, no truer words have ever been said than those quoted below. Although football is sometimes referred to as a vilified modern day "gladiator" sport, only second to my church and my grandfather, football has taught me more positive life lessons than anything else in my life.

In addition you have a whole generation of people growing up in an era where football is made out to be a villain. Concussions, potty language, manly culture in the locker rooms, etc. Not necessarily for the thin skinned pc generations that are being groomed today.

Sh""y football program for 60 years,will do that to a program ! Run loyal fans off, product of abysmal performance on the field , pick your reason why!!!

to be a school in a power conference playing in an actual football stadium, not a triple A awful baseball facility. Now thanks in large part to UK's helping hands, they have achieved that.

you are remarkably ignorant and in denial of what state UL football was in back in the 1980's and even early 90's if you think they were already comparable to UK football, remarkably. educate yourself before speaking so foolishly on the topic again.

By the early 90s UL already beat Alabama in the Fiesta Bowl, beat Michigan State in the Liberty Bowl, had teams like West Virginia, Tennessee, Ohio State, Texas, Florida State, Florida, Arizona State, etc. on the schedule. All of that before the series with UK even started. They also already were in the planning stages of building a new football stadium before the UK series started.

So, I don't get how the UK series lifted the UL program at all. They were lifting it up all by themselves already. UK benefited from the series as well. It gave UK at least on sure home game sellout every other year.

Absolutely!

LOL!

Wrong...that is not the kind of stuff most of us believe. But, if you don't like it, stay on your own board. This is UK's football board. You seem to be lost. BTW, Florida State has to visit your stadium...you play in the same conference/division.

yeah coming off 11 and 12 win season with Charlie, and now another solid one shaping up with Bobby and a heisman. Of course buying UL stock is hot right now.

There is absolutely no reason to add more seats to CWS.

What CM newton should have done was add suites/lounges/boxes etc as opposed to more regular seats. Can you imagine the corporation and big donor money that would have poured into the suites at the Peak of the Brooks era?

And it's not like they're expanding to Neyland Stadium size, they're really just catching up to what CWS was.

10-15 years from now when stadium attendance decreases even more nationally and when UL football is not on top of the world they'll come up with another great idea to downsize.
Actually, suites were added in the expansion back then. About 40 as I recall. Before the expansion I don't remember if Commonweaalth had suites or not.

We reached down with a 1-10 record. We were 6-6 the prior year, 4-7 before that, 3-8 before that.
I think we just looked across the aisle and said you want to walk together in mediocrity.

Howard Schnellenberger got UL where it is, not UK. Of course, we were too stupid to hire that guy. They were going to drop the sport altogether until he came along. They were not part of any conference and Weber had them in the toilet. Howard had the confidence and know-how to succeed.

UL dallied is piss poor conferences (C-USA, BE) and gained attention by winning games, even if their overall competition was weak. They mostly hired good coaches and when they did something stupid, like Kragthorpe, they didn't repeat the mistake. Now they are as good as anyone out there.

UK had the misfortune of playing in the SEC and not adapting to it because of shitty administrators and terrible hires. Yet we constantly laugh at UL for their competition level all the while puffing our chest at being in a conference we cannot even compete in. It took time, but a lot of UK fans came to realize this and quit laughing and just got mad. Some even switched sides.

But UL didn't do it all the right way. They hired scummy assistants, took in players that couldn't get in anywhere else and often looked the other way with dirty players. (Sort of like the basketball program did with whores) But now nobody cares because they are winning. And winning a lot. Not my idea of how to succeed, but I suspect many UK fans would love for us to do the same as long as we could get better.

Now we are way behind. And I suspect we will never catch up as long as Barnhart is our AD and Peetrino is their coach, but who knows.

And buster and his other bird buddies can GTFO.

We reached down with a 1-10 record. We were 6-6 the prior year, 4-7 before that, 3-8 before that.
I think we just looked across the aisle and said you want to walk together in mediocrity.
CM made this series the offseason story, not how he has employed an awful football coach & refused to fire him.
They also already were in the planning stages of building a new football stadium before the UK series started.
and it would have remained in planning stages if not for the UK series, and more importantly the requirement of the series that the games be in Commonwealth until a new UL stadium was completed. UK was so stupid it not only encouraged UL to raise the funds for the stadium, they put financial incentives to press it be built ASAP.

Reactions: Girthang
drop Little Brother from the schedule..today..

Reactions: OneBigCat

On the athletic department side of things, they can make more money off selling one suite for a season than 8,000 nose bleed seats. So we all always holler about paying more money for staff and football things, what ever we fans were spending on single game or even season tickets wasn't cutting it. But the money corporations will spend on the boxes/suites will. You want a top coach and staff, suites/boxes/woodford reserve lounge is how you fund it.

Also, MB is looking down the road and planning for when UK football starts to win and get to bowls. Supply and demand. 8,000 less seats, increased demand means being able to raise ticket prices.

I knew the new renovations would cause UL to whip out their tally wacker so as not to be out done. But look at what they're doing. They're expanding, which is fine, but what happens when P leaves and things regress back to the mean for the cards. Empty seats. We all know there isn't a more fair weather fan base the UL. They come out of the woodwork during good football years and act like they're Ohio State or Bama and have been there for a while. But sooner or later things will eventually settle to what they should be and the Pizza Pit will be empty.

Louisville is absolutely kicking Topbutton and UK's ass everywhere except for basketball.

Just take a drive to elizabethown, Somerset, Lawrenceburg, Danville... name the town. You used to be hard pressed to find a UofL fan anywhere. Now I'd say Etown you see about 60-40 blue and in Somerset/Danville it's probably about 70-30.
not true. no need to exaggerate.....

Wrong...that is not the kind of stuff most of us believe. But, if you don't like it, stay on your own board. This is UK's football board. You seem to be lost. BTW, Florida State has to visit your stadium...you play in the same conference/division.
Wrong again. Louisville beat FSU in Papa John's stadium over 10 year ago when they were in the Big East.

I've read multiple mentions here of disillusioned UK football fans switching allegiances to UofL. And although that would be a cool story to hear for a UofL fan, do any of you actually know someone who made that switch. I don't. As many of you know, I live in a mostly UK centric world with family, friends, and co-workers. I know plenty of disillusioned UK football fans (LONG time disillusioned fans), but I don't know, or have ever even heard first hand, of a single UK fan who came over the Cardinal's side, not even just for football. So, you tell me, is this rumor of wandering UK football fans fact or fiction? I'm guessing mostly fiction. Some of you guys may have lost interest in your football program, but I don't see any of you changing sides. You ARE traditionally admirably loyal like that. Kudos on that.

ADVERTISEMENT