ADVERTISEMENT

Coen to the Bucs

I don't know what, but something behind the scenes must have happened. Just a year ago he was talking about his family needing to plant roots somewhere and how he loved Lexington and how he was tired of putting them through moves. He had every tool here to be successful and be happy, yet at the first chance he got he was interviewing for any job he could. Whatever he's chasing, I hope he finds it.

I'm glad he's gone, he took this job because he knew he could get it while waiting for his next pro job. he had no intentions of staying here, all the I want to put down roots and stay awhile was BS, just like I thought. It's the lying to keep people from questioning him that burn people, not the fact he left.

Yeah, I felt like this was a play to make sure his pay was in line with market, which a lot of coaches do. For him to bail on this program twice in the same fashion, especially when this time he said he would be around is a very sad example of the reality of today’s world. There is no such thing as loyalty in the world anymore, or that the very least it is extremely rare. Feel bad for the players.

Coaching at this level really doesn't work that way. It's an opportunity for him to coach at the highest level in his profession. I listened to Baker talk about how awesome the Buc's organization is last night at the Pro Bowl.

I'm glad he's gone, he took this job because he knew he could get it while waiting for his next pro job. he had no intentions of staying here, all the I want to put down roots and stay awhile was BS, just like I thought. It's the lying to keep people from questioning him that burn people, not the fact he left.
Exactly. I actually don't harbor any serious ill will towards the guy, but his word means nothing to me anymore.

It’s his life and good riddance

But here is the lack of logic to me
1. You were oc with Rams …under McVay …who the entire league hires his OC for head coaching positions year after year. You have Matt stafford (albeit aging) some good Wr but a really solid head coach and organization in LA
2. You come to UK..for whatever the reasons
3. Then go back to nfl as OC but wjtb the bucs. Maybe baker mayfield is decent…maybe not. But that roster is aging..they only made playoffs as the division is crap. And Todd Bowles isn’t Sean McVay

Why did he leave rams to go back but with Bucs? Stoops and him must have had a falling out

I’m a Bucs fan so this is pretty cool. Could definitely see him becoming HC one day soon and Bowles let go

It feels like a coaching culture problem at this point. Either way, eff coen and I hope has no success.
The "culture" issue only seems to be with our OC. Our DC position has been much more stable:

2013 - 2016 - DJ Eliot
2017 - 2018 - Matt House
2019 - current - Brad White

This will be our 7th OC hire in the same time frame that we've had 3 DC's. That's not a coincidence. Stoops has got to let the OC have reign to run their offense without him hovering over top of it, or we will continue to have this.

My fear....Eddie Gran

Season 8 Wtf GIF by The Office

It’s his life and good riddance

But here is the lack of logic to me
1. You were oc with Rams …under McVay …who the entire league hires his OC for head coaching positions year after year. You have Matt stafford (albeit aging) some good Wr but a really solid head coach and organization in LA
2. You come to UK..for whatever the reasons
3. Then go back to nfl as OC but wjtb the bucs. Maybe baker mayfield is decent…maybe not. But that roster is aging..they only made playoffs as the division is crap. And Todd Bowles isn’t Sean McVay

Why did he leave rams to go back but with Bucs? Stoops and him must have had a falling out
I think he realized stoops is past his expiration date here. His boss wants out the door and a sizable portion of the fan base wants the same, just a matter of time.

Who’s the poster on here that refused to believe this was a possibility? He’s going to be on here later asking us to provide proof Coen ever even interviewed for the Bucs

The "culture" issue only seems to be with our OC. Our DC position has been much more stable:

2013 - 2016 - DJ Eliot
2017 - 2018 - Matt House
2019 - current - Brad White

This will be our 7th OC hire in the same time frame that we've had 3 DC's. That's not a coincidence. Stoops has got to let the OC have reign to run their offense without him hovering over top of it, or we will continue to have this.

My fear....Eddie Gran
I’ve already prepared myself for a crap ton of Wildcat formation.

I have to think this may be the turd that broke the camel's back. Stoops and the program are up a creek with a flighty OL coach and now having no offensive continuity for a fifth straight season.

Hard to see a positive here even if Stoops hires a rockstar OC. I don't see how we can hold onto Saunders.

Maybe we'll bring Scan back. Then fire him. Then Coen will come back for a year and then dip to go coach the Pats. Then we hire Scan again....

Guys you can't blame LC. CFB, and specifically UK FB, is a shit show right now.

First, LC was always going to leave for the league. We knew that day 1. Guy is watching OCs from the same coaching DNA/lineage get gigs left and right. Bucs are a play-off team. If LC coaches in a play-off and wins a game or two next year, he may be an HC next offseason.

Secondly, CFB is a mess right now and a lot of guys who have the Pro option are taking said option.

Third, I don't know what it is, but CMS and offensive ingenuity/modernity do not mix. We're 12 years in now, it's not the various OCs we've had. If 1-2 don't work out, hell even 3...maybe it's them. But after 12 years and several OCs, it's clearly something institutional/structural.

It's largely Stoops I'd say.

Most likely had a conflict of interest with Coen during the season. The strain of the struggling offense and the failure of our little portal QB. The flirtation with TAMU was likely the final straw so Coen saw the writing and needed to advance before getting all caught up in the Stoops failure vortex.

We have coaches that want to be elsewhere for whatever freaking reason and that's going to have consequences next season. Head coach wants to be somewhere else, O-line coach wants to be somewhere else and who knows whatever other dysfunctional bullshyt is going on behind the scenes.

My total bad… I thought this flirt with the nfl would help our profile. Brother was I wrong. Did he lie to Sanders?

Among many others. That was my main point of contention all along. You can't tell everyone one thing while you're obviously doing another. And apparently he did interview with the bears as well. Apparently he was looking at every opportunity out there to skip town despite saying the exact opposite.

But ya he and his wife love Lexington and he loves the college game etc etc..

I don't know what, but something behind the scenes must have happened. Just a year ago he was talking about his family needing to plant roots somewhere and how he loved Lexington and how he was tired of putting them through moves. He had every tool here to be successful and be happy, yet at the first chance he got he was interviewing for any job he could. Whatever he's chasing, I hope he finds it.

Anyone who bought his schtick about loving Lexington and college kids just didn't understand they were being sold. Like I said many times, UK fans love being sold which is why they loved coen and refused to levy any criticism against him or believe he had intentions of leaving despite chasing every opening

Who’s the poster on here that refused to believe this was a possibility? He’s going to be on here later asking us to provide proof Coen ever even interviewed for the Bucs

There were many. We all loved him but many fans were completely blinded by his charisma. Despite what he said, no way anyone should've expected more than two years.

Him leaving the first time after a year was understandable. He wasn't angling for jobs. He was planning a return. Then several dominoes fell and the rams oc position gets offered. Noone blamed him for taking that.

This time, he just locks a bunch of kids in via transfer portal, talks long term, all while interviewing with any NFL team with an opening even if the job sucks.

So long and good riddance. Hope you never win a game and your career tanks

Anyone who bought his schtick about loving Lexington and college kids just didn't understand they were being sold. Like I said many times, UK fans love being sold which is why they loved coen and refused to levy any criticism against him or believe he had intentions of leaving despite chasing every opening.
Personally, I always knew he was BSing, but I figured it was a good way to say "I'm sticking around" without telling fans he's literally just here for that sweet contract.

Lexington is a great city. College kids are awesome. It was a good charade and one that was believable.

All things considered, it's understandable that Stoops' brush with A&M and firing Woodward just pushed Lieam out earlier than probably even RamBuc expected. I think that Coen's plan really was to stick for a few years when he came back. I thought we'd be lucky to get two. Ecstatic for three. Just had almost no chance of turning out that way with his the last 3-4 months have gone.

In LC's defense, Tampa is easily as lovable as Lexington if not more. Cool city and area. Plus, it's got a lot of mid-western, Ohio valley folks, as opposed to the East coast of Florida which is basically all Yankees.

Weather is better.

I could have sworn I saw a twitter post last week where he said he was staying at Kentucky, announcing it to recruits and BBN
He never announced it to BBN. Of course he was telling recruits that...what coach wouldn't.

• Sad
Reactions: catben
Personally, I always knew he was BSing, but I figured it was a good way to say "I'm sticking around" without telling fans he's literally just here for that sweet contract.

Lexington is a great city. College kids are awesome. It was a good charade and one that was believable.

All things considered, it's understandable that Stoops' brush with A&M and firing Woodward just pushed Lieam out earlier than probably even RamBuc expected. I think that Coen's plan really was to stick for a few years when he came back. I thought we'd be lucky to get two. Ecstatic for three. Just had almost no chance of turning out that way with his the last 3-4 months have gone.

No way Woodward gets fired without coen's blessing. None. Me and others wondered about the wisdom of firing him rather than finding another spot for him in case this very thing happened. He wouldn't be as good but he would be good enough and probably keep the players while we found someone better.

Instead now once again we're all just left high and dry after the coaching carousel stopped spinning. The first time was understandable. This time is unforgivable

He never announced it to BBN. Of course he was telling recruits that...what coach wouldn't.

His last pic with a recruit wasn't even wearing UK gear. I noticed that and just told myself I was reading too much into it. Maybe I was or maybe I wasn't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT