ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina in 2012

harlanhomeboy

Sophomore
Feb 5, 2003
Remember how unstoppable they were supposed to be in 2012? And who cut down the nets? Us. And before people mention UNC injuries, which could happen to anybody this year as well, we beat them early in that season before all of our guys were hitting their stride.

I'm not conceding this season to Duke by any stretch. They are supremely talented 1-5 but as many have said, no depth. One injury and they are toast like last year's seemingly "unstoppable" Duke team. K has not proven himself like Cal when relying on majority freshmen with thin bench. If K chokes two years in a row with a mega team, we might start seeing the top 5 guys shift back to us once again.

Most of us expected to be better than UNC in 2012, so I don't see your point there.

But no, Duke isn't unstoppable. Anymore than we were unstoppable in 2014 when we ended up as an 8 seed.

The biggest difference is that Duke returns Grayson, but he's also insane so...

Aftet watching Duke "struggle" last year year with "one of the best classes ever". I have zero confidence in K coaching freshman and his dicknose grandson to a championship.
I make the call, now They will not win it.
I predict K, needs some time off in the season; when the struggles start

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Most of us expected to be better than UNC in 2012, so I don't see your point there.

But no, Duke isn't unstoppable. Anymore than we were unstoppable in 2014 when we ended up as an 8 seed.

I think everyone is going to see an entirely different Allen this year. Last year was a nightmare and I have been told (by a Duke friend close to the program) that literally everyone at Duke is working with him and making sure this year is different. I think he's going to be the superstar that he was before and an All American. He knows he messed up not leaving after his sophomore year and this is his last chance.

If they have more Harry Giles' results (even though he was hurt, K didn't help his stock) this year, then I would expect Cal to turn the page quickly.

Reactions: CatsNotCards

I am kind of glad Ole "Trip'em" returned. He is a head case whether anyone admits it or not (And to think UK fans state Cuz is a head case but some UK fans are sticking up for the tripper.) and IF anyone sane thinks he can just quit trying to trip people they are only fooling themselves. It will happen again and soon. His flaky syndrome will rear itself again, and again, and again. Lunacy on K's part trying to keep him at Duke. jmuo

Last edited:
I think everyone is going to see an entirely different Allen this year. Last year was a nightmare and I have been told (by a Duke friend close to the program) that literally everyone at Duke is working with him and making sure this year is different. I think he's going to be the superstar that he was before and an All American. He knows he messed up not leaving after his sophomore year and this is his last chance.

Yeah, like Josh Hamilton or the numerous NFL player that was given chance after chance to quit the left-handed cigarettes. It's a disease Allen has. I hope he can stop it but I am doubting it. He plays all-out and when he doesn't he is not nearly as good. We shall see...

UK was the best team in the country from beginning to end that season an drew most expected that team to perform how they did. Think I remember predicting 3 regular season losses and they did even better than that, and I'm usually a pretty objective guy. That team also had Anthony Davis and no one else did.

Don't really see the comparison.

Let's let the season unfold and see what happens. I'm less concerned about manpower and more interested in seeing the kind of obstacles UK has placed in front of us in the NCAAs.

And, like clockwork, resident trolls come out of the woodwork to pump the Saint Grayson narrative. Allen is going to be a dirty tripping sack of shit again this year. He literally can't help himself. I just hope he trips the wrong dude and someone beats the ever living crap out of him.

And, like clockwork, resident trolls come out of the woodwork to pump the Saint Grayson narrative. Allen is going to be a dirty tripping sack of shit again this year. He literally can't help himself. I just hope he trips the wrong dude and someone beats the ever living crap out of him.

Gotta love the "trolls" drop coming from someone with 4,000 less posts than me. Douchebag

UK was the best team in the country from beginning to end that season an drew most expected that team to perform how they did. Think I remember predicting 3 regular season losses and they did even better than that, and I'm usually a pretty objective guy. That team also had Anthony Davis and no one else did.

Don't really see the comparison.

UNC received 62 of the 65 1st place votes in the 2011-2012 preseason poll and was the prohibitive favorite. Ohio St. (1 vote) was #3 and UConn (2votes) was #4. Kentucky was #2 in the AP poll preseason with no first place votes. Every major publication including Athlon, Lindys, Blue Ribbon, CBS Sports had UNC #1 in November, 2011.

UNC was as big of favorite going into the 2011-2012 season as we've seen in a while.

I think it's better to compare the '14/15 team. That team was supposed to undefeated. We had more size than a lot of NBA teams, i think most, if memory serves me correctly. And I'm not talking Tubby Smith Obrzut/Alleyne/Carter team size, but real, talented athletic size. Think Bagley and Carter are intimidating? We had KAT, WCS, Dakari Johnson and even Lyles and Poythress were no small fries. Only thin player we had was Marcus Lee who had pogo sticks for legs. That's not enough? We also had twin 6'6 brothers at the 1 and 2 spots with another 6'6 guard on the wing who had the face of a 12 year old but the stroke of an NBA vet.

That was hands down one of the 5 best teams to ever be assembled in college basketball, and they didn't win it all. If they can experience a hick up, so can this Duke team. Bring'em on.

I think it's better to compare the '14/15 team. That team was supposed to undefeated. We had more size than a lot of NBA teams, i think most, if memory serves me correctly. And I'm not talking Tubby Smith Obrzut/Alleyne/Carter team size, but real, talented athletic size. Think Bagley and Carter are intimidating? We had KAT, WCS, Dakari Johnson and even Lyles and Poythress were no small fries. Only thin player we had was Marcus Lee who had pogo sticks for legs. That's not enough? We also had twin 6'6 brothers at the 1 and 2 spots with another 6'6 guard on the wing who had the face of a 12 year old but the stroke of an NBA vet.

That was hands down one of the 5 best teams to ever be assembled in college basketball, and they didn't win it all. If they can experience a hick up, so can this Duke team. Bring'em on.
Alex, Alex, Alex. Damn the bad luck. With him, nobody beats that team. He was the perfect glue guy for that squad.

UNC received 62 of the 65 1st place votes in the 2011-2012 preseason poll and was the prohibitive favorite. Ohio St. (1 vote) was #3 and UConn (2votes) was #4. Kentucky was #2 in the AP poll preseason with no first place votes. Every major publication including Athlon, Lindys, Blue Ribbon, CBS Sports had UNC #1 in November, 2011.

UNC was as big of favorite going into the 2011-2012 season as we've seen in a while.
This is true. I think @Aike was stating that us UK fans knew we had a better team. I know I sure did.

Reactions: Aike
Aftet watching Duke "struggle" last year year with "one of the best classes ever". I have zero confidence in K coaching freshman and his dicknose grandson to a championship.
I make the call, now They will not win it.
I predict K, needs some time off in the season; when the struggles start
Zing. [roll]

They weren't the prohibitive favorite. They were thought to be the number one team at the start of the year.

I didn't think that was true. A lot of us didn't. And we sure didn't expect them to be number 1 at the end.

Edit to add: UNC started the season at 7-2 while we were 5-1. Far from "as big a favorite as we've seen in a while."

By tourney time, we were at 8-5 and UNC was 5-1.

I understand why UNC entered the season as a slight favorite. But it was only slight. And many of us called it correctly from the first tip. In hindsight, it was obvious.

Last edited:
I don't remember what Kornheiser said so I maybe exaggerating the only way UNC loses is if they cancel the games.

Duke was hyped last year with their "super team" and couldn't make it to Thanksgiving before taking an L. I still think Duke has the best team on paper going into the season but looking back over the past several years I'd say only our 2012 team, 2009 UNC, 2007 Florida, 2005 UNC, 2004 UCONN and our 96 Cats could be considered (one of the) preseason favorites to win it all and actually get the job done. That's the beauty of March Madness. Certain teams get hot, the "best teams" aren't always playing their best. And always a little luck involved.

Gotta love the "trolls" drop coming from someone with 4,000 less posts than me. Douchebag
Yes. That many posts on a board you are trolling indicates a special level of commitment. You can now resume slurping on Saint K and Trippy Longstocking.

Reactions: Aike
They weren't the prohibitive favorite. They were thought to be the number one team at the start of the year.

I didn't think that was true. A lot of us didn't. And we sure didn't expect them to be number 1 at the end.

Edit to add: UNC started the season at 7-2 while we were 5-1. Far from "as big a favorite as we've seen in a while."

By tourney time, we were at 8-5 and UNC was 5-1.

I understand why UNC entered the season as a slight favorite. But it was only slight. And many of us called it correctly from the first tip. In hindsight, it was obvious.

UNC fans will always believe they didn't win it in 2012 because of the injury to Kendall Marshall.
Nobody was beating Kentucky in March 2012.
But, North Carolina was a big favorite when the season began on November. I could easily see this years' team becoming an unstoppable force by tournament time if they defend with size, get rim protection from Richards and Diallo becomes the player I think he will be.

UNC fans will always believe they didn't win it in 2012 because of the injury to Kendall Marshall.
Nobody was beating Kentucky in March 2012.
But, North Carolina was a big favorite when the season began on November. I could easily see this years' team becoming an unstoppable force by tournament time if they defend with size, get rim protection from Richards and Diallo becomes the player I think he will be.

Like I posted, UNC had 7-2 odds in November and ours were 5-1. That isn't a big favorite.

Now our 8-5 to their 5-1 in March was a big favorite.

And you also have to take those early betting lines with a grain of salt. The team the media is crowing about will typically draw a lot of bets.

ADVERTISEMENT