ADVERTISEMENT

Why did Cal even bother to recruit Big Z?

totally agree with the op

but watching Z, maybe the worst thing that could have happened to him was blow up in his outing and not be able to recreate that.
I also have noticed that he wants to react to a foul or missed shot instead of getting back on defense - and his shot selection post Georgia has been ...well ....I would call it borderline selfish.

He is still a bit of a project

to work so hard to get him to play and then have him get 6 minutes is wrong, however I"m not sure Cal trusts him to bring more into the game than he leaves

and in last night's game, that was a problem with several players.
This^^

Not saying the kid isn't a good player, but if it wasn't a fluke against Georgia he'd be the best player in the country. Just purely playing the percentages he's not that. He has been getting a little time since then, I sometimes guys need a bit of playing time to get in a rhythm, but he's literally dont nothing since that Georgia game.

Since then he's gotten 18 minutes and has 4 points, 6 rebounds, and 0 rebounds. If those were Edwards' stats people would be saying how awful he was and how he shouldn't see the court.
Yeah he hasn’t done much in the 18 minutes but that is the problem he hasn’t been allowed to get into any kind of rhythm . Also I don’t think he has gotten any good looks at the basket since the first game . It’s up to Cal to get better looks for him and that’s not happening while he’s in the game

0. He's goofy and fun, smiles a lot - not a mean bone in him.
Probably a big reason why he stuck it out at UK.
He's a big kid and enjoys being there.
Nothing wrong with that but most euro kids would have bolted quick when things got complicated.

Z is a good 3pt shooter. He's probably about a 35-40% guy from that range over a season........... he's only shot 1.. 0-1 in these past 3 games. 3-3 in the first one. So he's 75% on the season and we arent getting him 3pt shots.
Maybe but he won't get the looks he got in the Ga game.
He'll definitely have to work harder for open shots.

Reactions: CatsDomain
What do you mean why?
The kid is 7'3", some team might take a flyer on him in the Draft = another notch on NBA Johnny's belt.

He literally told BBN he doesn't give a damn about winning college titles and accolades, it's all about the pros baby!
Exactly ... DRAFT NIGHT. Nuttin' Better Bennies. SchmucksRWe for enabling this BS LIE.

but watching Z, maybe the worst thing that could have happened to him was blow up in his outing and not be able to recreate that.
Is he “not able” to re-create it, or simply not being given a fair chance to do so?

The big difference between his debut and subsequent games is that he was actually given extended minutes in one but not the others. It’s hard to prove you can do it again if you’re not being given any more than a couple minutes and no opportunity to get into a real rhythm.

Last edited:
I read where Bradshaw said Big Z was a "7-foot puppy" ... so maybe he's a great kid and teammate, with some perimeter skills, but may lack the toughness necessary to play in this country at this point in his career. I don't really know, but he does not appear willing or able to bang down low and do the dirty work we need him to do.
Yeah, all he did was block shots, rebound, and elbow a guy in the face for grabbing and hacking him. Sure doesn't like the dirty work down low. LOL

Remember "FREE BIG Z?" This saga lasted for months, BBN spent thousands on a billboard. The NCAA got a media black eye over it. This kid played Euro ball and had a smashing debut.

So why does he get in for two minutes yesterday? I watched the game and he didn't play badly. He's clearly getting the Hopkins treatment. You have a 5th year SENIOR named Mitchell (not to mention Bradshaw) who laid an egg last night but Big Z can't even sniff 5 minutes? You're playing guys 40+ minutes due to injuries, and you have Dilly cramping and Thiero in pain, but Z is on the freaking BENCH?

There's absolutely no excuse for this. It's infuriating to see Cal ignoring a talented freshman in favor of others who aren't as good. And don't try this "he's not ready yet" bullcrap. The season is effectively over, we're losing to unranked teams at home now. There's no reason whatsoever not to find him at least 10 minutes to get acclimated to the games. Cal gave Edwards and Bradshaw far more leash and they both have less potential. We were neck and neck with Georgia before Big Z went on his tear, and we could have used him in the last three games.

I feel sorry for the poor devils who donated money to the billboard. You got played for suckers by a multibazillionaire who doesn't give a crap about anything but his dogs.

What's the point of recruiting a one and done that you have no intention of playing?
I have no clue, it makes no sense why he played him game 1, he crushed and then he just sits him now. Blows my mind.

Not saying the kid isn't a good player, but if it wasn't a fluke against Georgia he'd be the best player in the country. Just purely playing the percentages he's not that. He has been getting a little time since then, I sometimes guys need a bit of playing time to get in a rhythm, but he's literally dont nothing since that Georgia game.

Since then he's gotten 18 minutes and has 4 points, 6 rebounds, and 0 rebounds. If those were Edwards' stats people would be saying how awful he was and how he shouldn't see the court.
What is he supposed to do in 6 minutes a game though? He gets in for a minute or 2. That’s nowhere near enough time to do anything.

I will admit no offense to Bradshaw, he should have played more of Bradshaw's minutes because the poor guy is not a 5 at all, barely a stretch 4.
Bradshaw, like Edwards and most of our other guys need another year of refining their skill and hitting the gym. They need to mature.

Cal recruited Z 1. To get the fans off his ass. 2 As a hedge in case Bradshaw and UGO didn't get healthy. Most of the game where Z went off he was at the 4. In the games since Cal has mainly had him at the 5 under the basket. Result he has taken a total of 1 ,3 point shots. A good coach or even one who had any intention to incorporating Z in the offense would put him in a spot that accentuates the kids STRENGHTS. Cal has not ,the kids actual talents are wasted since Cal will not play him properly.

What Calipari is doing to this team infuriates me because this is a title team with another coach.
The list of coaches that would do better coaching this team than cal is extremely long. Includes most/if not all D 1 head coaches, at least 1 assistant on every D1 team and probably half of the High school head coaches in the United States. They don’t call him CCC for nothing!!!!

What is he supposed to do in 6 minutes a game though? He gets in for a minute or 2. That’s nowhere near enough time to do anything.
In all honesty it was probably not the best decision to come to UK in the first place.
A European kid looking to play college ball in the states should go somewhere that he is needed day 1, somewhere he can get 25-30 min a game from jump.
He would be better off out west playing at Santa Clara or somewhere like that.
As far as him staying on the floor at UK, he has to do something positive when he gets in the game.
It's like a make or miss mentality.
When he's in the post on defense he can either get a block or he can get dunked on.
The more individual "wins" he gets, the more pt he will get.

In all honesty it was probably not the best decision to come to UK in the first place.
A European kid looking to play college ball in the states should go somewhere that he is needed day 1, somewhere he can get 25-30 min a game from jump.
As far as him staying on the floor at UK, he has to do something positive when he gets in the game.
When he's in the post on defense he can either get a block or he can get dunked on.
I don’t think Cal is utilizing him right at all. Let the kid play some minutes.

Funny how Edwards or DJ don't have to do something positive to stay in the game.

It's stunning how many people on this board refuse to stand up for this kid. He's an amazing talent and he's being wasted by a horrible coach.

Big Z won’t get a fair shake because Klutch said so….. We all know who’s Klutch’s little b&@ch!!!

Remember "FREE BIG Z?" This saga lasted for months, BBN spent thousands on a billboard. The NCAA got a media black eye over it. This kid played Euro ball and had a smashing debut.

So why does he get in for two minutes yesterday? I watched the game and he didn't play badly. He's clearly getting the Hopkins treatment. You have a 5th year SENIOR named Mitchell (not to mention Bradshaw) who laid an egg last night but Big Z can't even sniff 5 minutes? You're playing guys 40+ minutes due to injuries, and you have Dilly cramping and Thiero in pain, but Z is on the freaking BENCH?

There's absolutely no excuse for this. It's infuriating to see Cal ignoring a talented freshman in favor of others who aren't as good. And don't try this "he's not ready yet" bullcrap. The season is effectively over, we're losing to unranked teams at home now. There's no reason whatsoever not to find him at least 10 minutes to get acclimated to the games. Cal gave Edwards and Bradshaw far more leash and they both have less potential. We were neck and neck with Georgia before Big Z went on his tear, and we could have used him in the last three games.

I feel sorry for the poor devils who donated money to the billboard. You got played for suckers by a multibazillionaire who doesn't give a crap about anything but his dogs.

What's the point of recruiting a one and done that you have no intention of playing?
He wanted to make you cry. Low standards because you cry about everything. I can’t believe he played Onyenso over Z.

OP is clearly just driving his anti-Cal hatred biased agenda here...

Why even recruit Big Z? I don't think Cal foresaw that Big Z would be held out by the NCAA for months. So if he was cleared right away, or even sooner, he'd have more experience, more game reps, more PT, more time with execution, etc. So I'm sure he'd be playing more. It's not Cal's fault that the NCAA held him out for 4 months and put Z wildly behind in development

Played 2 mins? Nope, played 6. Couldn't even sniff 5 minutes? Nope, played 6

He got bullied by the Florida post players, gave up 2 offensive rebounds in 1 possession, and struggled to actually set screens. Yes, only 6 minutes, so let me be clear - I WISH HE WOULD HAVE PLAYED MORE! But it's not like his 6 minutes against Florida in the 1st half resembled, AT ALL, his performance against Georgia.

So yes, he needs more playing time. But the "why even bother recruiting him" is the biggest nonsense on here.

"What's the point of recruiting a one and done that you have no intention of playing?" This is garbage. He has played, he is playing, even though he's 4 months behind schedule of all the other UK guys. Onyenso deserves his time, no doubt about it. Mitchell has been our most important player all season long. He's the most reliable, consistent player we have. Just bench him all night so Big Z can play? Get out of here.

But aren't you the guy that always hates on Reeves? Where would this team be without him?

Edwards hasn't shown he desrves the amount of PT he's been getting, nor for that matter has Bradshaw, but if we're being honest we all know Klutch has their hand in all of this.

Z NEEDS PT to acclimate to the more physical play of the guys here, so that's not particularly a very good reason to hold him to six mintues in a game we SHOULD WIN.

So effing sick of Cal. I'll dance in the street when he's gone.

Big Z won’t get a fair shake because Klutch said so….. We all know who’s Klutch’s little b&@ch!!!
What do you know about Klutch?
Have you researched them and found out things you don't like.
If you could link an article detailing shady or bad business practices by them I would be interested in reading it.
If not Klutch then who?
Which agency do you recommend our players sign with?
Or do you think it's bullshit that they have representation period?

• Haha
Reactions: ManitouDan
^^ " Z wildly behind in development " ha ha .. you some real Cal apologist . He's burying a guy . Just admit it .
Was he not one of the first players off the bench at S.Car?
If you're the coach and you sub him in, at what point do you take him out if he's not performing?
I mean he got dunked on twice in close proximity so idk how long you would stick with him especially since we were losing at the time.
Every coach has to make judgement calls on whether a player is helping or hurting the team.

• Haha
Reactions: ManitouDan
^^ this turd needs flushed
You don't like Klutch so who do you recommend?
You like WWW's crew better?
I think that's who DJ's with.
I'm sure our next coach will ban all recruits from having an agent so it won't be a problem anymore.

Out in full force…..
Suck Up Yes Man GIF by Noise Nest Network

• Haha
Reactions: kywildcat41086
The only thing I can think of is that maybe Cal thinks he isn't earning it in practice, so he can't reward him with game time. Really the only reason I can think of him at least not getting a few more min than he has.
Another reason might be that the more Cal hears fans complain about not enough playing time for Z ... the more he sits. It's a Cal thing.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT