ADVERTISEMENT

Can't wait to watch this team play....

As long as there’s no season ending injuries. Injuries will happen. If it’s just a player or two and it’s no more than a few games or few weeks at most, then this team has plenty of quality depth to over come that

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Agreed. Hoping for an injury free and dominant season.

2012 got lucky as they weren't deep at all and didn't really have any injuries. Was a God send. 2015... not so much. Super deep, but needed Poythress for the defense.

I argued all season he'd be addition by subtraction since they could sacrifice a little defense for Lyles' offense not figuring they'd end up being matched with Wisconsin in the ****ing Final Four.

That should've been the title game.

The difference between this coming season and 2015 is that there isn't going to be a Wisconsin (or even Duke) looming down the bracket.

2012 got lucky as they weren't deep at all and didn't really have any injuries. Was a God send. 2015... not so much. Super deep, but needed Poythress for the defense.

I argued all season he'd be addition by subtraction since they could sacrifice a little defense for Lyles' offense not figuring they'd end up being matched with Wisconsin in the ****ing Final Four.

I agree angus, Alex would have been a difference maker in that game.

It's a shame we've been dealing with injuries so consistently that we actually wish against having them. I use to assume our guys would be healthy. I bet no other team has had to worry about injuries severe enough to affect their season.

Yet we seem to be affected almost every year. At least it seems that way

Reactions: floatingyou
I think we can weather one injury, as long as it isn't a big. But, fingers and toes crossed that we finally get lucky.
2012 was a very good year to us especially how many times AD was hurt, teams trying to hurt him on purpose! We got lucky.

Hands down favorite and ditto on the injury. How many titles have we lost bc of injury
Mike Casey
Sam bowie
Derek Anderson
Keith Bogans (well)
Alex Poythress

Reactions: JoeBeeHall
It's been a couple of seasons since I've been this excited, this early in the season. I am excited about ALL of the players this season! If this continues, I will probably not be able to sit still during the first game. But I have missed the excitement...so let's go Cats!!!!!!!

I’ve not been this excited at the beginning of the season since 2012. In 2014-15 it wasn’t till UCLA and Kansas games till I thought this team is going to be special

I felt this way in 96.

I felt this way in 12.

I felt this way in 15.

Those are the only years I can remember since I really started getting into UK basketball that I felt like this will be the year.

As Meat Loaf said, "Two out of three ain't bad."

Of course, three out of four would be way better.

UK and Cal have had some bad luck.
2011- Kanter isn’t allowed to play. A shameful NCAA decision.
2013- Noel suffers devastating, season ending injury.
2014- Willie gets hurt and he was the key to stopping the UConn guards penetration.
2015- We needed the injured Poythress for one game- to guard Dekker in the Wisconsin game like he did in 2014.
2017- Higgins in UNC game.
2018- Vanderbilt’s injury from November on.
That’s 6 out of 9 of Cal’s seasons at UK there has been an unforeseen issue that had a dramatic effect on the team and the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
Hands down favorite and ditto on the injury. How many titles have we lost bc of injury
Mike Casey
Sam bowie
Derek Anderson
Keith Bogans (well)
Alex Poythress

We still shoulda won it all wo DA and AP. Who knows, these guys coulda played and still lost. You gotta play 5 guys on the court and only in the case of bogans and Bowie (don’t know about Casey) we still had the horses to win it all. We have like 4 interchangeable players at every spot this season. Would need an epidemic of injuries to truly affect it. Stop the injury excuses!

We still shoulda won it all wo DA and AP. Who knows, these guys coulda played and still lost. You gotta play 5 guys on the court and only in the case of bogans and Bowie (don’t know about Casey) we still had the horses to win it all. We have like 4 interchangeable players at every spot this season. Would need an epidemic of injuries to truly affect it. Stop the injury excuses!
Not an excuse, if AD gets hurt in '12 we don't win it. Mike Casey was a higher ranked prospect than Dan Issel, in off season wrecked on I64 and yes that cost UK a title. If Bowie was healthy may have won 2 more. I give you Bogans, AP would have made a hell of a difference. Yes you can only play 5, it has to be the right 5 though

2014- Willie gets hurt and he was the key to stopping the UConn guards penetration.
2015- We needed the injured Poythress for one game- to guard Dekker in the Wisconsin game like he did in 2014.
That’s 6 out of 10 of Cal’s seasons at UK there has been an unforeseen issue that had a dramatic effect on the team and the season.

Also Randle was injured at the end of 2014 (still played through, but gimpy) or we could have won the title without WCS.

Orton was injured and gimpy in 2010, though I doubt having him at 100% would have saved our hides against WVU. What cost us there was Meeks leaving. Meeks comes back and we have a shooter that would have dismantled WVU and their zone.

Well at least now I have someone to blame.

That’s 6 out of 9 of Cal’s seasons at UK there has been an unforeseen issue that had a dramatic effect on the team and the season.
Add to that Randle rolls his ankle in the final 4 and is at 50-60% for the championship in 2014

2015- blown shotclock violation at 2:05ish that couldn't be reviewed Bc it wasn't under 2 minutes (which lead to the rule change) as well as a jump shooting team shooting 20+ free throws all the while the more physical team that played through their big man and 2 bull dog penetrating guards shot 10 free throws while only taking 5 3s. Pretty sure our fav ref was on that crew as well

Also Randle was injured at the end of 2014 (still played through, but gimpy) or we could have won the title without WCS.

Orton was injured and gimpy in 2010, though I doubt having him at 100% would have saved our hides against WVU. What cost us there was Meeks leaving. Meeks comes back and we have a shooter that would have dismantled WVU and their zone.

Plus Meeks would not have chocked in the tourney. He was experienced and like Lamb he hit them when he needed to.

Plus Meeks would not have chocked in the tourney. He was experienced and like Lamb he hit them when he needed to.

Still day dream about a Wall, Bledsoe, Meeks, Patterson, Cousins lineup.

Unstoppable with a legit scoring/shooting threat at the 3 spot.

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT