ADVERTISEMENT

Can We all Agree that the Calipari Era at UK is over?

Blueworld_3.0

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2008
He is of course still being paid by the university and he gets to sit in the coaches seat on the bench but, he's done. I think both he and the administration are just running out the clock. Waiting till the buyout is more manageable or a mutually agreed upon number can be negotiated.
Calipari's teams now show no growth during the season and many times actually regress. His in-game adjustments are non-existent. Not sure what the team works on in practice but, it most certainly isn't defense. Lots of mystery illnesses and injuries that keep players out though they appear to be just fine. Weird condescending comments about the fanbase and players.

Yep, I think we're done here.

He is of course still being paid by the university and he gets to sit in the coaches seat on the bench but, he's done. I think both he and the administration are just running out the clock. Waiting till the buyout is more manageable or a mutually agreed upon number can be negotiated.
Calipari's teams now show no growth during the season and many times actually regress. His in-game adjustments are non-existent. Not sure what the team works on in practice but, it most certainly isn't defense. Lots of mystery illnesses and injuries that keep players out though they appear to be just fine. Weird condescending comments about the fanbase and players.

Yep, I think we're done here.
Yep . I mean was done a while ago, the whole Sharpe fiasco finally put a permanent stamp on it. Games like tonight only confirm my feelings.

Cal has been done here for awhile. It’s been on display for many years now. Just took a team that many thought would be serious FF contenders to shit the bed on his watch for it to come to light for some. I still contend he is the worst coach in D1 today.

The mystery illnesses really don't serve Cal. Perhaps all the players that have had these over the years possibly had legitimate somethings occurring. But, keeping it secret or not explaining only has fueled speculations which are all negative. Whatever he is doing in practice that cause all these injuries exceeds all other programs out there. So, something is terribly wrong it just can't be bad luck.

Also, it does seem like his teams regress for many seasons. Kentucky is no longer Kentucky unfortunately. It's all gone.

Reactions: mattrudd
I may be wrong here but, my understanding is that a negotiated buyout would pay Calipari an agreed upon sum over a period of time and not in a lump sum?
Of course, if he wants to play hard ball, Calipari could just say "No thanks, I have a contract." but, that would probably destroy whatever legacy he hopes to have after his coaching career is over.
Not sure how it will be done but, I don't see Calipari staying beyond this year or next.

Can someone explain what exactly changed in CCC? The first 5 years he was here was such a magical run. It truly felt like we would catch and surpass UCLA. Now a FF seems like a crazy fantasy by delusional fans.
For the life of me I can't find this message. I remember a poster on here who went to a booster dinner after we won 2012. A big booster not as big as Joe Craft sat at that table too. The older gentlemen who was a booster point blank asked Cal, how many championships he wants at Kentucky until he's satisfied. Cal simply looked at his wife and laughed while saying, "glad that's over, don't have to worry about that anymore". That should tell you something. Not to mention his book comment that his calling is more than Kentucky Basketball.

If I was AD I would tell him we can’t buy you out. However , you are not to sit on the bench or conduct practices . Ulyis is coaching the team until I find the right replacement . He would Leave .

I may be wrong here but, my understanding is that a negotiated buyout would pay Calipari an agreed upon sum over a period of time and not in a lump sum?
Of course, if he wants to play hard ball, Calipari could just say "No thanks, I have a contract." but, that would probably destroy whatever legacy he hopes to have after his coaching career is over.
Not sure how it will be done but, I don't see Calipari staying beyond this year or next.
He could retire and take the Asst Ad job and get around 1 mill a year, or take another HC job and get $0.

Buyout is 33.4 mill after this season and drops around 8 mill every year after.

Freaking Hubert Davis is having more success than Cal. We can’t be afraid or be held hostage. UK will always draw players, especially with NIL.
I still don't know how good H. Davis really is, but what I do know is that he's 100% focused on the UNC program, elevating its status and winning.

Meanwhile, the useless lardass on our bench is focused on just about anything but the UK program. Doesn't mind cashing those obscene checks though...

Can these guys agree?

WayneDougan
kybassfan
HerrosHeroes
Kl40504
Ed3232
Sejonesy
83cat
Jload22 (now BlueCephus)
BBNinSC
Fitches4
FoolishUlis3