ADVERTISEMENT

Can anyone verify this?

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
"Others with direct knowledge of the situation said later Friday afternoon that there have been preliminary talks exploring the possibility of a buyout involving the Crafts."

From another person on here, said Ben Robert’s updated the story he put out earlier and added the above quote.

Only thing I see on his X account but can’t read it due to not being subscribed. Didn’t know it was in the original post

Full quote…people on here (especially the OP) just picks and chooses what they put on here. So ridiculous.

“If the university can’t pay Calipari to leave, why not the athletics department’s biggest donors? Why wouldn’t, say, coal magnate Joe Craft, who was sitting courtside in Pittsburgh on Thursday night, and his wife Kelly write a check for $33 million to see change within the program?

Multiple people familiar with the situation told the Herald-Leader in the immediate aftermath of Kentucky’s loss to Oakland that there’s no way Craft, specifically, would do such a thing.”

“Multiple people familiar with the situation told the Herald-Leader in the immediate aftermath of Kentucky’s loss to Oakland that there’s no way Craft, specifically, would do such a thing. Others with direct knowledge of the situation said later Friday afternoon that there have been preliminary talks exploring the possibility of a buyout involving the Crafts.
But even if he had an extra $30-plus million to give to UK Athletics, Barnhart would surely want to make better use of that money to further the department’s overall goals. Joe and Kelly Craft have been generous donors to several different UK Athletics initiatives over the years, and they have a close, working relationship with Barnhart.”

Then the article still ends with this…

“Calipari isn’t walking away from the kind of money he’s promised here. And UK, on its own, isn’t in a position to pay him what it would take to leave. That’s the reality of Kentucky basketball as this offseason begins”

yuck

Full quote…people on here (especially the OP) just picks and chooses what they put on here. So ridiculous.

“If the university can’t pay Calipari to leave, why not the athletics department’s biggest donors? Why wouldn’t, say, coal magnate Joe Craft, who was sitting courtside in Pittsburgh on Thursday night, and his wife Kelly write a check for $33 million to see change within the program?

Multiple people familiar with the situation told the Herald-Leader in the immediate aftermath of Kentucky’s loss to Oakland that there’s no way Craft, specifically, would do such a thing.”

Again I didn’t subscribe so that’s why I asked if anyone could verify…… good try though

Reactions: sluggercatfan

Also it clearly says what I asked to be verified in the article buddy….. so again good try

I would love to see a change, either with Calipari changing his philosophy on many things or with his departure altogether. However, I don't want to see one cent spent to remove him from his contract.

Contrary to any buyout, I would prefer we spend no extra dollars to oust him; it is preferable that he stay and endure the absolute wrath of the BBN, if need be, for the duration of the miserable time he is here. He and his entire family will not stand for that and there will be a parting of the ways without the university or a private citizen having to buy him out. If he has any shred of decency, he'll more than recognize -- especially when his family tells him to do so -- when it is time to pack up and leave.

In my view, he already should be packing up, knowing that the buck stops with him, and he has more than any other single person, authored this dismal period of about a decade's worth of misfortune and marginal achievement. Time to admit that; time for a change on the best possible terms.

This makes 33m sound like change on your dresser.

Reactions: CUJO_1970
I would love to see a change, either with Calipari changing his philosophy on many things or with his departure altogether. However, I don't want to see one cent spent to remove him from his contract.

Contrary to any buyout, I would prefer we spend no extra dollars to oust him; it is preferable that he stay and endure the absolute wrath of the BBN, if need be, for the duration of the miserable time he is here. He and his entire family will not stand for that and there will be a parting of the ways without the university or a private citizen having to buy him out. If he has any shred of decency, he'll more than recognize -- especially when his family tells him to do so -- when it is time to pack up and leave.

In my view, he already should be packing up, knowing that the buck stops with him, and he has more than any other single person, authored this dismal period of about a decade's worth of misfortune and marginal achievement. Time to admit that; time for a change on the best possible terms.
If what you describe actually transpires (Calipari refusing a lesser buyout amount and deciding to stay in Lex) I am afraid you are going to see just how little decency he has. Someone with an ego as massive as Calipari's will NEVER admit he is/was wrong on any level and he will always place blame somewhere other than on himself.
This is what giving someone like Calipari such a ridiculous contract results in. UK and the fanbase may very well find themselves held hostage by a egomaniac for at the very least one more year.

"Others with direct knowledge of the situation said later Friday afternoon that there have been preliminary talks exploring the possibility of a buyout involving the Crafts."

From another person on here, said Ben Robert’s updated the story he put out earlier and added the above quote.
Has ben Roberts added this quote to the article? I don’t have nor will I pay for the LHL

Reactions: NociHTTP
If what you describe actually transpires (Calipari refusing a lesser buyout amount and deciding to stay in Lex) I am afraid you are going to see just how little decency he has. Someone with an ego as massive as Calipari's will NEVER admit he is/was wrong on any level and he will always place blame somewhere other than on himself.
This is what giving someone like Calipari such a ridiculous contract results in. UK and the fanbase may very well find themselves held hostage by a egomaniac for at the very least one more year.
Would you turn down 33 million left on a contract? Idk what you make a year but say it's 1 million left on a 3/4 year contract to leave your job. My point is.... This is on mitch. Both need to leave

I know one way he will walk away from the job. Hire Rick Pitino as the overseer of Basketball operations. I don't think Cal's ego could take it and he would hate that someone will disagree with him. Problem solved.

Okay, that was a joke.

No way they move that fast... Cal wouldn't even answer the phone for them til Monday probably.
Exactly, Cow...
Exorcist Blinds GIF by THE EXORCIST: BELIEVER

Fran Healy Reaction GIF by Travis

“Multiple people familiar with the situation told the Herald-Leader in the immediate aftermath of Kentucky’s loss to Oakland that there’s no way Craft, specifically, would do such a thing. Others with direct knowledge of the situation said later Friday afternoon that there have been preliminary talks exploring the possibility of a buyout involving the Crafts.
But even if he had an extra $30-plus million to give to UK Athletics, Barnhart would surely want to make better use of that money to further the department’s overall goals. Joe and Kelly Craft have been generous donors to several different UK Athletics initiatives over the years, and they have a close, working relationship with Barnhart.”

“Calipari isn’t walking away from the kind of money he’s promised here. And UK, on its own, isn’t in a position to pay him what it would take to leave. That’s the reality of Kentucky basketball as this offseason begins”

yuck
Mitch raked us over the coals, he knew this information when he made the deal. Ridiculous.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity

The money is there now will Mitch act. If not he may have to be removed first

Cals buyout would pay him monthly, not a lump sum. Talks have begun on the buyout and a return. Cal is making a sorta "last stand" pitch on returning players. Kinda like in 14-15. We all could guess who they would be. But, This could get ugly quick
When you say “a buyout and return”, are you saying something like the following?
- he is paid X (say $15M) this summer to change the guaranteed years of the contract to only a 1 year guarantee
- so he is guaranteed to get 1 more year, after that (spring 2025) he could be fired for $0

When you say “a buyout and return”, are you saying something like the following?
- he is paid X (say $15M) this summer to change the guaranteed years of the contract to only a 1 year guarantee
- so he is guaranteed to get 1 more year, after that (spring 2025) he could be fired for $0
That would be a good way out of this, state in the revised deal that no SEC title, tournament title, or first round exit gets you canned with nothing.

Has ben Roberts added this quote to the article? I don’t have nor will I pay for the LHL
Yes, he added the part about others in the know saying there have been discussions (Friday) about a buyout. That is the main difference. One group initially saying no way to get the money so it is off the table. Then new info that discussions are taking place.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Reading elsewhere behind paywall from a person/media in the know. Ultimately they think Cal is out.

- No consensus either way

- Basketball side of house meeting w players, objective is to get a core group anchored by Reed to return (others- DJ, Z, Adou. Would not be a scenario where ran back w just freshman and portal. Would have a core group back, only option.

-Michigan talking w Cal

-If he returns changes to asst are definite specifically to address defense

-Cal genuinely didn't think they'd start to look at ways to get him out

-Buyout is on table w/non Craft folks involved and optimistic they can get there; source quotes from boosters:

The pushback is very real, with one source saying:
-"They're moving against him."
Another added:
-"I think it's finished, and should be."

This is what giving someone like Calipari such a ridiculous contract results in. UK and the fanbase may very well find themselves held hostage by an egomaniac for at the very least one more year.
If a man can’t see that he’s LOSING quite often with top talent, it’s not ego, it’s sheer stupidity or maybe senility.

The proof is a black and white as it appears to be - his win/loss performance, especially in tournaments, is dismal and not even up to the standards of a non-blue blood program.

Reactions: Cawood86

I think this is the answer. I’m not sure his ego would allow him to continue as coach much more. His ego and narrative has been more than exposed to not only UK fans, but to the rest of the basketball world. With due respect, please step out of the coaching position Cal while you still have a touch of credibility.

yuck
UK can pay him, they just would rather not. There is plenty of money to send this phony on his way. It will take a little more time.

Reading elsewhere behind paywall from a person/media in the know. Ultimately they think Cal is out.

- Basketball side of house meeting w players, objective is to get a core group anchored by Reed to return (others- DJ, Z, Adou. Would not be a scenario where ran back w just freshman and portal. Would have a core group back, only option.

-Michigan talking w Cal

-Buyout is on table w/non Craft folks involved and optimistic they can get there; source quotes from boosters:

Another added:
Will you provide a link please? I'll get on my 12 foot ladder or the big ladder if I need it.

• Haha
Reactions: Cawood86 and Drudis

-Michigan talking w Cal

Another added:

This shit legit?

I post this in another thread

That's funny because I hear a press conference is coming Tuesday afternoon.
Is it for Cal leaving, staying, the future who knows.

We shall see

-Michigan talking w Cal

Another added:

Please PLEASE tell me this is real.

-Michigan talking w Cal

Another added:

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: HagginHall1999
I post this in another thread

That's funny because I hear a press conference is coming Tuesday afternoon.
Is it for Cal leaving, staying, the future who knows.

We shall see
If Calipari is out then it will leak late Monday or very early on Tuesday. Such a monumental move cannot be kept quiet. Unless it's a spur of the moment thing like Saban.

Reactions: CUJO_1970
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT